Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
epaddy

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by epaddy »

Duff Paddy wrote:Boo f**k hoo, it's much harder for everyone these days. The rest of us just suck it up and get on with it.
But the political class pander to those who don't. Cliff Taylor in today's times has a good piece on how not making decisions is costing us. This latest Irish water fudge is just another in a long line.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

epaddy wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:Boo f**k hoo, it's much harder for everyone these days. The rest of us just suck it up and get on with it.
But the political class pander to those who don't. Cliff Taylor in today's times has a good piece on how not making decisions is costing us. This latest Irish water fudge is just another in a long line.
Which is why Varadkar was right to call it straight - we've let the tail wag the dog here, a bunch of idiot Trotskyites who genuinely believe that capitalism needs to be dismantled.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

camroc1 wrote:And it turns out that the man found dead in Stephens Green, was from Limerick, and was not known to any of the homelessness Services in either Dublin or Limerick. A tragic death no doubt, but not necessarily linked to homelessness.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0429/785108-homeless/
In fact he was a Kerry farm labourer, with a home in Kerry, up for last Sundays League final, who got pissed, missed his train home and decided to sleep out in St. Stephens Green. A very tragic death, but nothing whatsoever to do with the services for the homeless provided by the state.

So much for all the professional wailing by the usual suspects.
epaddy

Post by epaddy »

Duff Paddy wrote:
epaddy wrote:
Which is why Varadkar was right to call it straight - we've let the tail wag the dog here, a bunch of idiot Trotskyites who genuinely believe that capitalism needs to be dismantled.
Indeed though the door was left open by the geriatrics running FG and Labour with their short-termism and obsession with whipping a huge majority in line for 5 years. Had they introduced the property tax (no one give a shite about that any more it seems) and water chargers in the first 100 days of the last Dail they would have been forgotten about come the next election after 5 years of getting used to them. But no, they had to ride in on the crest of a wave with their new politics bullshit.

It isn't exclusive to us of course, as Fester says its happening across the west. Governments are increasingly populist and electorates lazy and impatient.

I do believe though our multi-seat constituencies really exacerbate things here, in addition to PR it allows for far too many single issue and local issues clogging up the national agenda.
nardol

Post by nardol »

TDs here do what should really only involve local politics. All the indeps here are elected on local issues and have no actual interest in running the country just their own theifdom. The billy-bob ray's for example wouldn't have the first idea of how to run the country or what they even want, all they do is tell us how bad dublin is.

I hope the electorate cop on that indep tds get nothing from govt as they don't form a govt... I hope current negotiations with ff fg and indeps breaks down fair quick.
MrBunhead

Post by MrBunhead »

nardol wrote:
I hope the electorate cop on that indep tds get nothing from govt as they don't form a govt... I hope current negotiations with ff fg and indeps breaks down fair quick.
RTE did a show last Summer on Independents and why having too many in govt just won't work. Mick Wallace was on it, and was fairly level headed on it too, and even he said that having too many Independents won't work as they can't agree anything between themselves.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

The bigger parties bring it on themselves with their constituency 'mercs' and letters to Planning and Health authorities.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

camroc1 wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:In fairness, this has been building for a while. Ireland's a pretty class place to live, but a lot of people have no idea how to get ahead in Ireland.

Most of us on here have successful parents, went to good schools and followed that with college, post-grads, etc. It's understandable that knackers with shít educations who can't get decent jobs are unhappy. One of the obvious casualties over the last couple of decades has been stable, long-term easy jobs. Working for Dunnes, Tesco, etc, is far more precarious than it once was, same with the councils, building, etc. Nobody seems to care that these people have much more precarious and unstable livelihoods which makes long-term planning nigh on impossible.
Fúck that AJ, I've been made redundant 3 times in my career due to the vagaries of the construction industry. You just do what you have to do.
You're proving my point. You know how to plan ahead, get a new job, etc.

Also, isn't your wife an engineer too? Meaning you have a lot more leeway.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

There is no knowing how to get ahead, you just keep on working your arse off and not go looking to the state to support you
epaddy

Post by epaddy »

Duff Paddy wrote:There is no knowing how to get ahead, you just keep on working your arse off and not go looking to the state to support you
Though the state is involved in nearly every aspect of our lives, I'm no nut job libertarian but its clear that as the state gets bigger and bigger, people become further reliant on it causing it to grow larger again. Personal responsibilities and freedoms shrink more and more.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

Duff Paddy wrote:There is no knowing how to get ahead, you just keep on working your arse off and not go looking to the state to support you
Ah that's very naive. You'd pounce on anybody daring to utter something so simplistic about rugby.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

MrBunhead wrote:
nardol wrote:
RTE did a show last Summer on Independents and why having too many in govt just won't work. Mick Wallace was on it, and was fairly level headed on it too, and even he said that having too many Independents won't work as they can't agree anything between themselves.
And Zappone now looks likely to get minister for education just to make things even more f**ked. Pity they didn't release the list of demands made by the various independents for their support, would have made interesting reading.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

anonymous_joe wrote:
Ah that's very naive. You'd pounce on anybody daring to utter something so simplistic about rugby.
So take two kids from a council estate, one ends up with a steady job and becomes a productive member of society, the other decides to spend life on the dole. What is the difference between the two in your opinion? The state yeah?
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

Duff Paddy wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
So take two kids from a council estate, one ends up with a steady job and becomes a productive member of society, the other decides to spend life on the dole. What is the difference between the two in your opinion? The state yeah?
A multitude of factors, including themselves, their families, their education, etc. Not to mention social workers, etc.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Nolanator wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:Gas that there would be a technical fault on the Luas the day after a strike. Coincidentally today is the day wages being docked by 10% for not fulfilling contracted duties came in.
Was gonna post exactly this. Drivers can't work if there's a technical fault, but they'll still get paid their full salary.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..............
Just on this, apparently maintenance are a separate company.

If it had been related to the strike, I think the company would have been all over it. It might just have been unfortunate timing.
LeinsterLion

Post by LeinsterLion »

camroc1 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:And it turns out that the man found dead in Stephens Green, was from Limerick, and was not known to any of the homelessness Services in either Dublin or Limerick. A tragic death no doubt, but not necessarily linked to homelessness.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0429/785108-homeless/
In fact he was a Kerry farm labourer, with a home in Kerry, up for last Sundays League final, who got pissed, missed his train home and decided to sleep out in St. Stephens Green. A very tragic death, but nothing whatsoever to do with the services for the homeless provided by the state.

So much for all the professional wailing by the usual suspects.
Jaysus, that's fcuking harsh. Was the weather that bad? He wouldn't be the last lad to try catch forty winks outside after a night on the drink, and I know I've fallen asleep on golf courses and the club pitch. Poor bastard...
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

And the LUAS drivers now reported as wanting the deal they rejected a couple of weeks ago, back on the table.

They're getting a hard lesson in bringing a knife to a gunfight.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

camroc1 wrote:And the LUAS drivers now reported as wanting the deal they rejected a couple of weeks ago, back on the table.

Hopefully it's refused.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Floppykid wrote:
camroc1 wrote:And the LUAS drivers now reported as wanting the deal they rejected a couple of weeks ago, back on the table.

Hopefully it's refused.
I'm sure it will be.

Remember SIPTU were threatening an all out strike when it was rejected. Whether it's a faction of the drivers, or SIPTU, whoever was driving the dispute has done no favours to the drivers, or to union action generally.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

I think it's very important to our society, in general, that Transdev come out as 'winners' is this. I don't want the drivers crushed but I do want it made very clear that holding the city/country to ransom like this is not acceptable when the demands are unreasonable.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

CM11 wrote:I think it's very important to our society, in general, that Transdev come out as 'winners' is this. I don't want the drivers crushed but I do want it made very clear that holding the city/country to ransom like this is not acceptable when the demands are unreasonable.
Especially with the rail drivers and the NBRU already talking about strikes to implement roster changes, and refusing to help train new drivers.
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

Irish growth really is stark when compared with other EU countries

this performance is not being reported by the media who instead want to wail about the €3 per week water charges.

have a read of tin tins article today if you want to feel depressed ....... attacking FG and FF for having the temerity to try to facilitate a government
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

I gave up reading tin-tin when realised that he is innumerate. And apparently proudly so.
MrBunhead

Post by MrBunhead »

Independent TD Joan Collins is encouraging industrial unrest within the public transport sector.
Joan Collins said Siptu should be rallying their members in Irish Rail and Dublin Bus for strike action in response to the Luas debacle.
Luas drivers will push ahead with industrial action tomorrow, in a series of rolling strikes over pay hikes.
Deputy Collins said: "Siptu should be going to those workers in Irish Rail and Dublin Bus and having a ballot for industrial action saying: 'We have to come out behind the Luas workers.'
"If the (Luas) workers don’t get what they want in their pay claim, that's going to impact the workers in Irish Rail as well."
fudge your Honda Civic I've a Horse outside
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

What in the name of fuck makes her or people like her think that this is useful to the situation or that the drivers are being reasonable in any way?

This fucking country sometimes.
Malahide Mullet

Post by Malahide Mullet »

She's an incredibly stupid woman
MrBunhead

Post by MrBunhead »

because the only reason people are against the Luas drivers pay requests is because of snobbery.

trying to keep the working man down are you Nolanator :uhoh:

:lol:
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

MrBunhead wrote:
Independent TD Joan Collins is encouraging industrial unrest within the public transport sector.
Joan Collins said Siptu should be rallying their members in Irish Rail and Dublin Bus for strike action in response to the Luas debacle.
Luas drivers will push ahead with industrial action tomorrow, in a series of rolling strikes over pay hikes.
Deputy Collins said: "Siptu should be going to those workers in Irish Rail and Dublin Bus and having a ballot for industrial action saying: 'We have to come out behind the Luas workers.'
"If the (Luas) workers don’t get what they want in their pay claim, that's going to impact the workers in Irish Rail as well."
f**k your Honda Civic I've a Horse outside
Isn't secondary picketing illegal ? And wouldn't SIPTU and the Irish Rail and Dublin bus workers find themselves in the High Court being made personally responsible for all financial and other losses as a result of their action pdq ?

I'm no Union lover, but they'd want to be out of their tiny minds to even contemplate such action.

As for the intellectual competence of the left wing TD who publicly made the suggestion.........the mind boggles at the stupidity, on so many levels, involved.
sewa

Post by sewa »

Malahide Mullet wrote:She's an incredibly stupid woman
Is she really? She is stirring up the unions and expressing views her core vote agree with. Manipulating the situation to her own advantage quite well. Similar to FF coming out against water charges that they introduced
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

sewa wrote:
Is she really? She is stirring up the unions and expressing views her core vote agree with. Manipulating the situation to her own advantage quite well. Similar to FF coming out against water charges that they introduced
Except, afaik, what she is proposing is actually illegal, and opens the Unions up to legal action against them.
sewa

Post by sewa »

camroc1 wrote:
sewa wrote:
Except, afaik, what she is proposing is actually illegal, and opens the Unions up to legal action against them.
I am not sure how you'd prove it. Currently the Irish rail workers all came to the same independent conclusion that they won't train other drivers. They aren't on official industrial action though eh
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

sewa wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
sewa wrote:
I am not sure how you'd prove it. Currently the Irish rail workers all came to the same independent conclusion that they won't train other drivers. They aren't on official industrial action though eh
Start by reading what she said, Sewa :
sewa

Post by sewa »

Yes and they may well ballot for action, saying that they are highly unlikely to use that wording are they? Gets them all off the hookin the same way as they aren't currently on any form of industrial action but effectively we all know they are
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

camroc1 wrote:
sewa wrote:
She's banking on the Unions knowing that and the membership not.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

What a stupid thing to come out with. It's bizarre how little some politicians actually care about the country. I think most hard left wing TDs would welcome a recession.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

sewa wrote:Yes and they may well ballot for action, saying that they are highly unlikely to use that wording are they? Gets them all off the hookin the same way as they aren't currently on any form of industrial action but effectively we all know they are
We're commenting on how stupid this particular left wing TD is.

FWIW, the IR drivers, imo, are already sailing pretty close to the wind in their public utterances, and it would not take very much more for IR to go to the courts looking for a decision on whether any strike represents a valid industrial dispute with IR, or is part of an attempt to legitimise secondary action.
sewa

Post by sewa »

camroc1 wrote:
sewa wrote:Yes and they may well ballot for action, saying that they are highly unlikely to use that wording are they? Gets them all off the hookin the same way as they aren't currently on any form of industrial action but effectively we all know they are

FWIW, the IR drivers, imo, are already sailing pretty close to the wind in their public utterances, and it would not take very much more for IR to go to the courts looking for a decision on whether any strike represents a valid industrial dispute with IR, or is part of an attempt to legitimise secondary action.
You are commenting on it indeed. Meanwhile she is lapping up the media attention this populist drivel is getting her in the national papers. Very clever politicking, a student of FF methods no doubt
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

camroc1 wrote:

Whenever these things end up in the HC it's almost always just posturing. You're usually meant to go to the WRC/Labour Court morass (these days) for actual legal disputes. Going to Court tends to be more about optics for all parties. It's expected.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

anonymous_joe wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

Whenever these things end up in the HC it's almost always just posturing. You're usually meant to go to the WRC/Labour Court morass (these days) for actual legal disputes. Going to Court tends to be more about optics for all parties. It's expected.
Neither are binding are they ? Which allows the IR unions (in this case) to walk away without sanction. Which they have been doing.
sewa

Post by sewa »

Anyhow, some independent TD took advantage of a slow news day to say up the workers and Cammy / Mullet bit down hard on the bait. Other than that its a complete non story.