Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28777
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Mullet 2 »

normilet wrote:http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 17250.html

Image

Half of all economic activity in the State is generated in Dublin and the capital’s reach now extends into 11 counties.

A stark report to be published today paints a grim picture of a two-tier Ireland, where a flight from rural Ireland is resulting in isolation among the elderly, while workers grapple with hour-long commutes and are forced to travel long distances to access basic services including healthcare.

The ‘Ireland 2040’ document, which will be launched today by Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Housing Minister Simon Coveney, says that half the population growth in the last two decades has been largely centred on Dublin.

Many built-up areas, stretching north from Cavan, south to Wexford and east to Longford, are effectively Dublin commuter towns. Employment is centred in an increasingly “smaller number of areas” while new homes are “spread out”. Unless radical action is taken, some 75pc of the projected population and new homes will be clustered around the capital city by 2040.

Growth

The document says Dublin generates some 49pc of national economic growth, which is way in excess of the London figure, which stands at 32pc.

Image

Failure to address growth in the ‘Dublin City-Region’ may risk competitiveness and ability to attract companies in the wake of Brexit, it warns.

“There has been an increasing concentration of population and economic activity in the east of the country, with much of the growth associated with Dublin being accommodated in 10 other counties, extending from Cavan to Wexford.

“We know that present trends take us to an Ireland where around three quarters of the extra population and homes will happen on the eastern side of the country, much of it clustered around but not necessarily happening in our capital city.

“This will further exacerbate massive and increasingly unmanageable sprawl of housing areas, scattered employment and car-based commuting, presenting major challenges around lop-sided development, under-utilised potential, congestion and adverse impacts on people’s lives and the environment.”

It also says there has been over-development in some places and a decline in others, particularly in parts of rural Ireland which are poorly served by roads and public transport. This has meant that services and facilities are rapidly required in many different areas, but can be under-utilised elsewhere.

“This makes it costly and difficult to plan for future needs,” it warns, adding that many towns experiencing rapid population growth in recent years are not equipped to deal with growing numbers. This will lead to situations such as children not being able to secure a school place in their local area and pressure on basic facilities such as access to healthcare.

Brexit

The report comes after the launch of the Government’s Action Plan for Jobs and recent launch of a programme to develop rural Ireland. It warns that failure to curb the growth of the economy puts the entire country at risk, and suggests that attracting businesses in the wake of Brexit may prove difficult unless action is taken.

“Dublin’s success as a city-region is a double-edged sword,” it says. “It has enabled Ireland to compete in an international context but such success has also given rise to pressures in areas such as housing, transport and infrastructural requirements, which affect competitiveness. If Dublin is under-performing, Ireland is under-performing. Should the Dublin City-Region suffer a loss of competitiveness and become a less attractive place in which to invest as a result of housing and infrastructural bottlenecks, investment and influence will inevitably be attracted to other similar city-regions in Europe or elsewhere.”

Growth since the early 1990s has been “unprecedented”, but almost half of the population growth has been in the local authority areas of Fingal in north Dublin, Kildare, Meath, Laois and counties Galway and Cork. Populations fells in Donegal, Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim and Monaghan.

It says the “defining pattern” of development has seen settlements where people live becoming “more spread out”, with employment in a “smaller number of areas”.

Unless car use is curbed, rural towns and villages will die due to a rise in out-of-town shopping centres.
The problem remains the same.

The country cannot tirage because of Politics.

Just pick one city (Galway because Cork is a kip) and fund it as an alternative.
User avatar
paddyor
Posts: 19068
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by paddyor »

Or, and history suggest this is more likely, we piss away a couple of million every year on "rural regeneration" schemes!
User avatar
Bullettyme
Posts: 14568
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Bullettyme »

Rural is dying across the world, it's not just an Irish thing. I think people should just plan for that, rather than trying to keep the culchies in the bog.
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 40903
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by camroc1 »

Mullet 2 wrote:
The problem remains the same.

The country cannot tirage because of Politics.

Just pick one city (Galway because Cork is a kip) and fund it as an alternative.
Limerick a far more likely contender than Cork, or Galway.

It's interesting that all the counties that look towards Dublin are Leinster Counties apart from Cavan, which, along with Monagahan and Donegal, was effectively cold shouldered from being part of Belfasts hinterland.

But, as you infer Mullet, the political attitude of 'A LUAS/Hospital Centre of Excellence/Third Level Institution/Motorway for every town in the country' militates against serious planning. That is, planning commuter towns of 100k+ in the existing major urban centres of Leinster and building the infrastructure to make them work.
User avatar
Leinster in London
Posts: 5668
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Leinster in London »

I'm surprised Louth is missing from the list of counties.
I knew of a teacher in the 80's who used to commute every day from Dundalk to Sandycove. This was at a time when a new teacher could buy a house literally around the corner from the school.
I see the train can take just less than an hour, but the timetable in the morning is not too friendly.


normilet wrote:http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 17250.html

Image

Half of all economic activity in the State is generated in Dublin and the capital’s reach now extends into 11 counties.

A stark report to be published today paints a grim picture of a two-tier Ireland, where a flight from rural Ireland is resulting in isolation among the elderly, while workers grapple with hour-long commutes and are forced to travel long distances to access basic services including healthcare.

The ‘Ireland 2040’ document, which will be launched today by Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Housing Minister Simon Coveney, says that half the population growth in the last two decades has been largely centred on Dublin.

Many built-up areas, stretching north from Cavan, south to Wexford and east to Longford, are effectively Dublin commuter towns. Employment is centred in an increasingly “smaller number of areas” while new homes are “spread out”. Unless radical action is taken, some 75pc of the projected population and new homes will be clustered around the capital city by 2040.

Growth

The document says Dublin generates some 49pc of national economic growth, which is way in excess of the London figure, which stands at 32pc.

Image

Failure to address growth in the ‘Dublin City-Region’ may risk competitiveness and ability to attract companies in the wake of Brexit, it warns.

“There has been an increasing concentration of population and economic activity in the east of the country, with much of the growth associated with Dublin being accommodated in 10 other counties, extending from Cavan to Wexford.

“We know that present trends take us to an Ireland where around three quarters of the extra population and homes will happen on the eastern side of the country, much of it clustered around but not necessarily happening in our capital city.

“This will further exacerbate massive and increasingly unmanageable sprawl of housing areas, scattered employment and car-based commuting, presenting major challenges around lop-sided development, under-utilised potential, congestion and adverse impacts on people’s lives and the environment.”

It also says there has been over-development in some places and a decline in others, particularly in parts of rural Ireland which are poorly served by roads and public transport. This has meant that services and facilities are rapidly required in many different areas, but can be under-utilised elsewhere.

“This makes it costly and difficult to plan for future needs,” it warns, adding that many towns experiencing rapid population growth in recent years are not equipped to deal with growing numbers. This will lead to situations such as children not being able to secure a school place in their local area and pressure on basic facilities such as access to healthcare.

Brexit

The report comes after the launch of the Government’s Action Plan for Jobs and recent launch of a programme to develop rural Ireland. It warns that failure to curb the growth of the economy puts the entire country at risk, and suggests that attracting businesses in the wake of Brexit may prove difficult unless action is taken.

“Dublin’s success as a city-region is a double-edged sword,” it says. “It has enabled Ireland to compete in an international context but such success has also given rise to pressures in areas such as housing, transport and infrastructural requirements, which affect competitiveness. If Dublin is under-performing, Ireland is under-performing. Should the Dublin City-Region suffer a loss of competitiveness and become a less attractive place in which to invest as a result of housing and infrastructural bottlenecks, investment and influence will inevitably be attracted to other similar city-regions in Europe or elsewhere.”

Growth since the early 1990s has been “unprecedented”, but almost half of the population growth has been in the local authority areas of Fingal in north Dublin, Kildare, Meath, Laois and counties Galway and Cork. Populations fells in Donegal, Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim and Monaghan.

It says the “defining pattern” of development has seen settlements where people live becoming “more spread out”, with employment in a “smaller number of areas”.

Unless car use is curbed, rural towns and villages will die due to a rise in out-of-town shopping centres.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36533
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

Stephen Donnelly joining FF :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nolanator
Posts: 38532
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Nolanator »

I dunno if I want to vote for him now in the next GE.
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28777
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Mullet 2 »

Nolanator wrote:I dunno if I want to vote for him now in the next GE.

Image
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36533
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

Nolanator wrote:I dunno if I want to vote for him now in the next GE.
Tell me you didn't drink the koolaid - the guy is full of shit
User avatar
redderneck
Posts: 15148
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: We'll Never Forget You Geordan D'Arcy

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by redderneck »

He's fuller than that. He's McKinsey-Acolyte-Full.

That's pretty fecking full.
User avatar
epaddy
Posts: 1544
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by epaddy »

Duff Paddy wrote:Stephen Donnelly joining FF :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good grief he is so full of absolute shite. The things he has said about Fianna Fail over the years and now he gets a sniff of a cabinet seat and joins them. That said, the somersaults he has done since getting in to politics, especially over water charges makes him perfect for FF.
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28777
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Mullet 2 »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Nolanator wrote:I dunno if I want to vote for him now in the next GE.
Tell me you didn't drink the koolaid - the guy is full of shit

I'm disgusted tbh.

Biggest bluffer in the Dail
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 9501
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Leinsterman »

He's turning into a ginger Derek Keating!
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36533
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

Mullet 2 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Nolanator wrote:I dunno if I want to vote for him now in the next GE.
Tell me you didn't drink the koolaid - the guy is full of shit

I'm disgusted tbh.

Biggest bluffer in the Dail
Isn't he just.
Nolanator
Posts: 38532
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Nolanator »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Nolanator wrote:I dunno if I want to vote for him now in the next GE.
Tell me you didn't drink the koolaid - the guy is full of shit
I actually can't remember who I gave my first preference to. He did seem to be a bit full of shit when he bailed out the SocDems.
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 9501
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Leinsterman »

Philip Boucher-Hayes on Twitter:
And off to RTÉ Archive I go to pull out all those Stephen Donnelly interviews about how Fianna Fáil destroyed the country.
:lol: :lol:
User avatar
redderneck
Posts: 15148
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: We'll Never Forget You Geordan D'Arcy

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by redderneck »

Well; he sure as shit ticks the 1st character trait box any aspiring pol needs to tick in order to stand any chance of a fruitful life in politics.

Shameless, yes / no?
User avatar
nardol
Posts: 19710
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by nardol »

At least he can speak in public unlike the majority of TD's
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28777
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Mullet 2 »

nardol wrote:At least he can speak in public unlike the majority of TD's

Nobody cares what you think, Dutchy.
User avatar
nardol
Posts: 19710
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by nardol »

Mullet 2 wrote:
nardol wrote:At least he can speak in public unlike the majority of TD's
Nobody cares what you think, Dutchy.
I don't quite intimidate enough I suppose


Lack of fear of being eaten
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28777
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Mullet 2 »

Your jokes are worse than your opinions, Dutchy.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36533
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

Mullet 2 wrote:
nardol wrote:At least he can speak in public unlike the majority of TD's

Nobody cares what you think, Dutchy.
It's amazing how easily duped the general public are. It's hoe he says it not what he actually says eh.
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28777
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Mullet 2 »

Pascal uses the same trick and they call him a great media performer also.

It's truly baffling.
User avatar
Gavin Duffy
Posts: 15180
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Donnelly, what a pathetic piece of shit. :lol:
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 40903
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by camroc1 »

January exchequer figures out and they show a very strong start to the year, with the VAT figures, in particular indicating that the retail sector had a good Christmas. Overall tax intake was 6.1% up on Jan 2016.

Probably why the Government is talking about accelerating infrastructure spending.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/02 ... -tax-take/
User avatar
alliswell
Posts: 10383
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: location, location

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by alliswell »

ASTI reject proposals 53:47. Back to strikes I suppose.
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 40903
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by camroc1 »

alliswell wrote:ASTI reject proposals 53:47. Back to strikes I suppose.
And Expressway going on indefinite strike.

However I think that both teachers, and transport staff have exhausted almost any goodwill they ever had in the general public.

And the government has learnt to play dirty by releasing what their gross remuneration (incl allowances and pension) is really worth.
User avatar
Uncle Fester
Posts: 19964
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Uncle Fester »

Mullet 2 wrote:Donnelly joining FF.
What's the feeling on it?
Doubt he'll get that warm of a welcome.
ZappaMan
Posts: 16180
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by ZappaMan »

camroc1 wrote:
alliswell wrote:ASTI reject proposals 53:47. Back to strikes I suppose.
And Expressway going on indefinite strike.

However I think that both teachers, and transport staff have exhausted almost any goodwill they ever had in the general public.

And the government has learnt to play dirty by releasing what their gross remuneration (incl allowances and pension) is really worth.
Transparency is never dirty.
User avatar
nardol
Posts: 19710
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by nardol »

camroc1 wrote:
alliswell wrote:ASTI reject proposals 53:47. Back to strikes I suppose.
And Expressway going on indefinite strike.

However I think that both teachers, and transport staff have exhausted almost any goodwill they ever had in the general public.

And the government has learnt to play dirty by releasing what their gross remuneration (incl allowances and pension) is really worth.
How is honesty playing dirty?
MrBunhead
Posts: 2572
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by MrBunhead »

How is an honest answer a mistake?
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 40903
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by camroc1 »

Oh I agree with all you gentlemen. I omitted to put the word dirty in inverted commas.

The bus strike will be interesting as there are private sector competitors who will be more than happy to pick up as many passengers as they can

Anyone know what the legal situation on Dublin Bus and Irish Rail staff coming out in support, ie with no grievance of their own, is ? They are legally separate companies although ultimately owned by the same holding company.
User avatar
anonymous_joe
Posts: 14927
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by anonymous_joe »

Where'd they release the full pay figures?
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 40903
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by camroc1 »

anonymous_joe wrote:Where'd they release the full pay figures?
They haven't as yet.

But the Garda ones have been, and I think that's the genie out of the bottle.

Edit. And AJ, any comment on my legal question ?
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36533
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

I'd like to see the full breakdown: salary, allowances, pension, actual hours worked per week, holiday days and average annual sick leave - would give a better indication of the overall package.
User avatar
anonymous_joe
Posts: 14927
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by anonymous_joe »

camroc1 wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:Where'd they release the full pay figures?
They haven't as yet.

But the Garda ones have been, and I think that's the genie out of the bottle.

Edit. And AJ, any comment on my legal question ?
Haven't a breeze really. Large scale industrial action isn't my beat at all.
User avatar
Uncle Fester
Posts: 19964
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Uncle Fester »

Duff Paddy wrote:I'd like to see the full breakdown: salary, allowances, pension, actual hours worked per week, holiday days and average annual sick leave - would give a better indication of the overall package.
Nobody has really had the balls (or integrity) to do this before and I doubt they'll start now.

The time to pick this fight was 2011. It's too late now.
User avatar
Leinster in London
Posts: 5668
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Leinster in London »

Uncle Fester wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:I'd like to see the full breakdown: salary, allowances, pension, actual hours worked per week, holiday days and average annual sick leave - would give a better indication of the overall package.
Nobody has really had the balls (or integrity) to do this before and I doubt they'll start now.

The time to pick this fight was 2011. It's too late now.
I would disagree.
The benefit of that pension v private sector is rising y/y.
Benchmark it now, and call the increase in benefit as a payrise to the PS.
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 40903
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by camroc1 »

Uncle Fester wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:I'd like to see the full breakdown: salary, allowances, pension, actual hours worked per week, holiday days and average annual sick leave - would give a better indication of the overall package.
Nobody has really had the balls (or integrity) to do this before and I doubt they'll start now.

The time to pick this fight was 2011. It's too late now.
The Horgan review of Garda pay last December has let the Genie out of the bottle.

All it takes is for an agreeable government back bencher to ask Ross and Bruton for a breakdown of the drivers and teachers total remuneration package broken down A la Horgan for the Gardaí.
User avatar
alliswell
Posts: 10383
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: location, location

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by alliswell »

Duff Paddy wrote:I'd like to see the full breakdown: salary, allowances, pension, actual hours worked per week, holiday days and average annual sick leave - would give a better indication of the overall package.
It'd be easy enough to figure out if you wanted. All the data is available I would imagine.
Post Reply