Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
CM11

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

Luckycharmer wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:What are the odds the boyfriend has been banned or convicted or something?
Or even just a load of penalty points.
No it was already in his name, he has 2pts, she joined half way through the year alot of insurance companies wouldn't quote. I think they have quotes of around €250 a month when this insurance expires in a few months.
They have a kid so need a car, I didn't own a car till I was 26 as could use the bus or folks car when needed.
€250 a month makes a lot more sense. Still crazy but more understandable.
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Uncle Fester wrote:
normilet wrote:Is anyone familiar with the road going over the Templeogue bridge towards town?

Cycle lane off the road the whole way along, yet every weekend I drive it, there are always cyclists who prefer to stay on the road rather than use it. Is it just in an absolute state or what?
Know it well. It's good from spawell down to traffic lights but after that narrows a lot, encroaches on the footpath and is in terrible condition.
Are you talking about the road that goes towards Templeville/Harolds cross or road that goes through Templeogue village towwards Terenure college?
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Uncle Fester wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Her Twitter biography describes her as a solicitor, mother, and feminist.
:lol: That is all gold
She’s a spa

Empty shirt and a walking gender quota
Worried about her being on the ticket with your boy DOB?
Like she was last time? Yeah I'm pissing it out about 6k vote surplus
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

iarmhiman wrote:https://www.independent.ie/business/iri ... 80447.html
British discount pub chain JD Wetherspoon has expanded its Dublin footprint with today’s confirmed purchase of HQ Restaurant & Gastrobar on Hanover Quay.

Wetherspoon - which this summer opened its first central Dublin pub in a former bank and chapel on Middle Abbey Street – said it had not decided whether to open a pub in the existing layout or redevelop the HQ site.

Wetherspoon declined to disclose the price it paid, but Savills put the HQ property on the market in June with a guide price exceeding €5.5m.

“It is an excellent property in a superb location and we are confident that it will enjoy great success as a Wetherspoon pub,” chairman Tim Martin said in a statement.

Savills said the two-level property extends to 854 square metres (9,192 square feet).

Wetherspoon already owns four suburban Dublin pubs in Blackrock, Blanchardstown, Dún Laoghaire and Swords as well as the Linen Weaver in Cork. The firm is developing a €18.5m pub and hotel on Dublin’s Camden Street due to open next year, as well as its first pubs in Galway and Waterford.
I wish Tim Martin would fudge off. Only a matter of time now before he starts going after proper pubs in town.
Which ones? They don't sell Guinness and probably won't for the foreseeable future. Most of the hallmark Dublin pubs wouldn't appeal to them given their size and configuration.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

iarmhiman wrote:Wetherspoons don't sell craft beer.

They sell English bitter and shite beers like Fosters and Carling.
Huh, they do? They're actually less likely to serve the likes of Carling.
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

Bullettyme wrote:
nardol wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:I see Wetherspoons have bought another pub in Dublin. Good Jesus, one of the main things we have going for us is the quality of our boozers and yet ye fuckers are letting them take over. Only a matter of time before they buy out one of the big Dublin publicans.
I agree with the sentiment but publicans need to feel a bit of price pressure. They are currently taking the piss.
If their pubs are so bad people will vote with their feet. As it stands people seem to like cheaper drink and will take the hit on the atmosphere. There's notes to be made there.
With all the shit people talk about Weatherspoons I was expecting it to be a complete kip the first time I went into one. They are fairly standard pubs, nothing too remarkable about them at all. I know that's the point, but people go way over the top about it.

I've been in plenty of pubs that were much worse in terms of atmosphere where they charged me twice the price for my pint.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Never drunk in a 'spoons, but that's more to do with not having one near me than anything else.

I suspect that their business plan for Ireland differs substantially from the UK.

As I understand it, in the UK they buy old, disused bank buildings and the like on the cheap, turn them into 'Superpubs' and then screw suppliers to get the cheapest rate for their drinks, and run the pubs themselves like a Macdonalds, with hitting your monthly targets the be all and end all of everything. And so they end up like Macdonalds serving a cheap product to a cheap clientele, but selling lots of it.

That MO doesn't/won't work in Ireland due to firstly property costs, secondly the need to buy out an old licence, and thirdly demographics, outside of the half a dozen or so cities we don't have the demand to service the all day superpub. And fourthly there's the considerable political clout of the publicans organisations, and commercial clout of the existing players who will be competing for the same properties.

I suspect that Weatherspoons in Ireland are run along a lot more traditional line.
nardol

Post by nardol »

And what's the traditional way in Ireland?

Family owned pub that buys from either Heineken diageo or abinbev?
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

camroc1 wrote: As I understand it, in the UK they buy old, disused bank buildings and the like on the cheap, turn them into 'Superpubs' and then screw suppliers to get the cheapest rate for their drinks, and run the pubs themselves like a Macdonalds, with hitting your monthly targets the be all and end all of everything. And so they end up like Macdonalds serving a cheap product to a cheap clientele, but selling lots of it.
No not necessarily. I had the misfortune of being in one in Manchester, in a brand spanking new shopping centre.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

de_Selby wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
nardol wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:I see Wetherspoons have bought another pub in Dublin. Good Jesus, one of the main things we have going for us is the quality of our boozers and yet ye fuckers are letting them take over. Only a matter of time before they buy out one of the big Dublin publicans.
I agree with the sentiment but publicans need to feel a bit of price pressure. They are currently taking the piss.
If their pubs are so bad people will vote with their feet. As it stands people seem to like cheaper drink and will take the hit on the atmosphere. There's notes to be made there.
With all the shit people talk about Weatherspoons I was expecting it to be a complete kip the first time I went into one. They are fairly standard pubs, nothing too remarkable about them at all. I know that's the point, but people go way over the top about it.

I've been in plenty of pubs that were much worse in terms of atmosphere where they charged me twice the price for my pint.
I've been into the silver penny on Abbey Street a couple of times when waiting for a mate or herself. It is grand, bit mental on a weekend but grand all the same. There are much worse pubs in Dublin that will gouge you for the pleasure.

Edit: and they do serve craft, a range of Irish and British.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

nardol wrote:And what's the traditional way in Ireland?

Family owned pub that buys from either Heineken diageo or abinbev?
In rural areas yes, - a smaller venue that makes most of its money in the evenings and certainly doesn't have the commercial clout to demand supermarket like discounts from the suppliers. But Wetherspoons isn't competing with those - it's competing with the existing big players in the urban areas, and is subject to exactly the same commercial pressures as they are ie. expensive property, the onerous licencing laws, widespread union membership amongst staff, etc.
Liathroidigloine

Post by Liathroidigloine »

EverReady wrote:Young people have no souls
+1. The greatest city in the world for pubs and they go to a f**king English chain pub. Like going to Guilbauds and ordering a well done steak. Palistines.
Adetroy

Post by Adetroy »

He is a Northern Irish nationalist arsehole who hates us.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Adetroy wrote:He is a Northern Irish nationalist arsehole who hates us.
He may have been born in Belfast, but he's as English as they come.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

camroc1 wrote:Never drunk in a 'spoons, but that's more to do with not having one near me than anything else.

I suspect that their business plan for Ireland differs substantially from the UK.

As I understand it, in the UK they buy old, disused bank buildings and the like on the cheap, turn them into 'Superpubs' and then screw suppliers to get the cheapest rate for their drinks, and run the pubs themselves like a Macdonalds, with hitting your monthly targets the be all and end all of everything. And so they end up like Macdonalds serving a cheap product to a cheap clientele, but selling lots of it.

That MO doesn't/won't work in Ireland due to firstly property costs, secondly the need to buy out an old licence, and thirdly demographics, outside of the half a dozen or so cities we don't have the demand to service the all day superpub. And fourthly there's the considerable political clout of the publicans organisations, and commercial clout of the existing players who will be competing for the same properties.

I suspect that Weatherspoons in Ireland are run along a lot more traditional line.
That's exactly what they're doing here.

It's doing very well, because the pints are cheap as fúck.
normilet

Post by normilet »

Luckycharmer wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
normilet wrote:Is anyone familiar with the road going over the Templeogue bridge towards town?

Cycle lane off the road the whole way along, yet every weekend I drive it, there are always cyclists who prefer to stay on the road rather than use it. Is it just in an absolute state or what?
Know it well. It's good from spawell down to traffic lights but after that narrows a lot, encroaches on the footpath and is in terrible condition.
Are you talking about the road that goes towards Templeville/Harolds cross or road that goes through Templeogue village towwards Terenure college?
Towards Harolds Cross, but I had a proper look this morning at the road from Terenure to the bridge and it is fairly appalling I must admit.

Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

The problem again is people who have never cycled designing cycle lanes. No cyclist wants a cycle lane that is basically a white line on a footpath - hard to get on and off, goes up and down with the dipped kerbs for driveways, poorly surfaced and clogged with street signs, utilities and bus stops. It’s a bike lane in name only yet you still get idiots in cars (who also have never cycled) aggressively telling cyclists that they have to use the bike lane (they do not).
normilet

Post by normilet »

Duff Paddy wrote:The problem again is people who have never cycled designing cycle lanes. No cyclist wants a cycle lane that is basically a white line on a footpath - hard to get on and off, goes up and down with the dipped kerbs for driveways, poorly surfaced and clogged with street signs, utilities and bus stops. It’s a bike lane in name only yet you still get idiots in cars (who also have never cycled) aggressively telling cyclists that they have to use the bike lane (they do not).
I wasn't telling cyclists to use the bike lane, I was asking why they wouldn't use one if it's so dangerous and car drivers are idiots etc. If some of them are in such a poor condition that it's actually less risky to go on the road next to fast moving cars then that's a pretty major issue.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

It's a disgrace that any Dublliner would darken the door of those kips. However if the publicans of my hometown can't see where this is going and sharpen their pricing policies, they deserve what's coming at them.
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

normilet wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:The problem again is people who have never cycled designing cycle lanes. No cyclist wants a cycle lane that is basically a white line on a footpath - hard to get on and off, goes up and down with the dipped kerbs for driveways, poorly surfaced and clogged with street signs, utilities and bus stops. It’s a bike lane in name only yet you still get idiots in cars (who also have never cycled) aggressively telling cyclists that they have to use the bike lane (they do not).
I wasn't telling cyclists to use the bike lane, I was asking why they wouldn't use one if it's so dangerous and car drivers are idiots etc. If some of them are in such a poor condition that it's actually less risky to go on the road next to fast moving cars then that's a pretty major issue.
Plenty of people do (usually of the irate taxi driver variety).

Most cycle lanes are in that condition. I wouldn't say it's a major issue, it's not like this is a revelation. Cycle lanes are just thrown in as an afterthought
nardol

Post by nardol »

de_Selby wrote:
normilet wrote:

Most cycle lanes are in that condition. I wouldn't say it's a major issue, it's not like this is a revelation. Cycle lanes are just thrown in as an afterthought
Some dublin council employee / politician just fulfilling a quota to lay down x KMs of cycle lane.

A bad cycle lane is quite frankly more dangerous than just letting cyclists cycle on the road.

Also - whats up with the orange flashy lights at pedestrian / cycle crossings? In dublin you can have both the car and the pedestrian having a blinking light. It causes me no end of confusion as to who actually has the right of way.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Yeah when the road is shit I often mount the path in my jammer.

It's amazing what you people think you're entitled to for your zero contribution.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

nardol wrote:
de_Selby wrote:
normilet wrote:

Some dublin council employee / politician just fulfilling a quota to lay down x KMs of cycle lane.

A bad cycle lane is quite frankly more dangerous than just letting cyclists cycle on the road.

Also - whats up with the orange flashy lights at pedestrian / cycle crossings? In dublin you can have both the car and the pedestrian having a blinking light. It causes me no end of confusion as to who actually has the right of way.
Just leave it at red so that cyclists know they can bomb through with impunity ?
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

:lol:
HighKingLeinster

Post by HighKingLeinster »

camroc1 wrote:
nardol wrote:
de_Selby wrote:
normilet wrote:

Just leave it at red so that cyclists know they can bomb through with impunity ?
Boom :lol:
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

nardol wrote: Also - whats up with the orange flashy lights at pedestrian / cycle crossings? In dublin you can have both the car and the pedestrian having a blinking light. It causes me no end of confusion as to who actually has the right of way.

Try reading the Rules of the Road again. The pedestrian has right of way.
Liathroidigloine

Post by Liathroidigloine »

BBC NI are running a series of programmes on The Troubles. Last night was on the RUC. It made for very uncomfortable viewing on a couple of fronts. One was the sacrifice the individual police officers made. The other was the obvious ingrained bias within the force.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

RUC were the same as the RIC before Independence.

Cnuts to a man
nardol

Post by nardol »

Leinsterman wrote:
nardol wrote: Also - whats up with the orange flashy lights at pedestrian / cycle crossings? In dublin you can have both the car and the pedestrian having a blinking light. It causes me no end of confusion as to who actually has the right of way.

Try reading the Rules of the Road again. The pedestrian has right of way.

Please - point me to it: https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/RotR%20BOO ... 202019.pdf

Good luck stepping out in front of a car to take up your right of way

Edit: found it - actually pedestrian does NOT have the right of way. You failed your theory test.

'A flashing green light or an amber light showing a figure means the cyclist may not cross the road unless they had started crossing
when there was a steady green cyclist light'
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

What you have quoted there has nothing to do with whether a pedestrian has right of way if the light is flashing amber. You've quoted the rules for a cycle track light.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Mullet 2 wrote:

Yeah when the road is shit I often mount the path in my jammer.

It's amazing what you people think you're entitled to for your zero contribution.
:lol: You okay hun
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

I'm perfectly fine.

I get the DART in now. I do however find your position laughable.

The trains are severely hamstrung and badly need DART underground
The LUAS is jammed and needs expansion
Metro North is long overdue
600k people can't drink the water
AND the roads are in shite

But yeah, you lads are special. And only if your lanes are perfect will you deign to use them. And then having refused to use the infrastructure already in place you confess yourself baffled councils won't put in more.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

LUAS is jammed.
Dart seems to be held together by sticky tape
Buses out my direction are full before they even leave Lucan in the morning.
The infrastructure is in an awful way. They need investment now although the usual will probably happen - there'll be a recession and demand will drop for another few years and they'll look at commissioning another capacity report
nardol

Post by nardol »

Mullet 2 wrote:I'm perfectly fine.

But yeah, you lads are special. And only if your lanes are perfect will you deign to use them. And then having refused to use the infrastructure already in place you confess yourself baffled councils won't put in more.
Sounds like we need more tax.
nardol

Post by nardol »

Leinsterman wrote:What you have quoted there has nothing to do with whether a pedestrian has right of way if the light is flashing amber. You've quoted the rules for a cycle track light.
Fair point.

This is the junction im on about. The bike light and the pedestrian light are completely synced.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3103135 ... 384!8i8192
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Leinsterman wrote:LUAS is jammed.
Dart seems to be held together by sticky tape
Buses out my direction are full before they even leave Lucan in the morning.
The infrastructure is in an awful way. They need investment now although the usual will probably happen - there'll be a recession and demand will drop for another few years and they'll look at commissioning another capacity report
Wait until you see. If there is another recession in the next 2 years all these capital projects will be canned again.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

nardol wrote:

Ssshh now Dutchy, the grownups are talking.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

nardol wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:What you have quoted there has nothing to do with whether a pedestrian has right of way if the light is flashing amber. You've quoted the rules for a cycle track light.
Fair point.

This is the junction im on about. The bike light and the pedestrian light are completely synced.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3103135 ... 384!8i8192
Useful rule of thumb is if it's flashing amber, give way to the pedestrian/cyclist in a case like that.
nardol

Post by nardol »

Mullet 2 wrote:
nardol wrote:

Ssshh now Dutchy, the grownups are talking.
Pipe down over there as I drink this glass of delicious water.
STRAIGHT FROM THE TAP!

After I commuted into Amsterdam from leiden this morning on the train (40km) in 24 minutes while I was sitting down with a spare seat next to me for my bag.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

That's because no cúnt would sit beside you.