Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
MrJonno

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by MrJonno »

EverReady wrote:Lockdown in Italy and people still work. My missus has been told she will still have to work and then come home and infect the rest of us who were happily walled off like Jim Jones in Guyana
Make sure she wears rubber gloves before she touches your Mickey, better still everyone should put on a hazmat suit the second before she walks in the door.

On top of that, apparently there some virus going round so you should take measures to protect yourselves from that too
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Many pubs in Cork closed yesterday or earlier today voluntarily.
All pubs bar one in my area were closed today and don't even open.
Miguel Indurain

Post by Miguel Indurain »

Leinsterman wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote: My understanding is that social distancing is regarded as being insufficiently observed nationwide. So more drastic measures are being announced tomorrow.
I don't think anyone strongly disagrees with any of that. However, what you posted is almost word for word identical to a WhatsApp message my wife was sent earlier.
The problem with this sorry of messages is that it can lead to panic and cause large clusters of people to congregate at supermarkets leading to a higher risk of the virus spreading. I really don't know why people do this sort of stuff.
I didn't get my info on WhatsApp. I received a text from this Garda officer. In the text he specified 11am announcement about the Tuesday lockdown. His text says access to shops will be limited because trading hours are to be reduced from Tuesday and customers will be restricted from buying quantities of the same product in each store.

Apparently this was agreed at a meeting at Garda HQ tonight
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

The content is the same as what I saw earlier
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Miguel Indurain wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote: My understanding is that social distancing is regarded as being insufficiently observed nationwide. So more drastic measures are being announced tomorrow.
I don't think anyone strongly disagrees with any of that. However, what you posted is almost word for word identical to a WhatsApp message my wife was sent earlier.
The problem with this sorry of messages is that it can lead to panic and cause large clusters of people to congregate at supermarkets leading to a higher risk of the virus spreading. I really don't know why people do this sort of stuff.
I didn't get my info on WhatsApp. I received a text from this Garda officer. In the text he specified 11am announcement about the Tuesday lockdown. His text says access to shops will be limited because trading hours are to be reduced from Tuesday and customers will be restricted from buying quantities of the same product in each store.

If true, I imagine that he's broken the Official Secrets Act and put his job at risk, and you've probably also committed a crime by reporting here.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

camroc1 wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

If true, I imagine that he's broken the Official Secrets Act and put his job at risk, and you've probably also committed a crime by reporting here.
Same as all the school principals then?

:lol:
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Leinsterman wrote:Many pubs in Cork closed yesterday or earlier today voluntarily.
Sure many did but many more didn’t . Lots of pubs packed to the rafters all weekend. Any pub making the announcement today didn’t really make the decision voluntarily in the public interest, they made it in light of a strong social media campaign to get them to close and in the knowledge that the government was taking action to force them to close in the coming days
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

For once, social media has actually done something good!
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

MrJonno wrote:
EverReady wrote:Lockdown in Italy and people still work. My missus has been told she will still have to work and then come home and infect the rest of us who were happily walled off like Jim Jones in Guyana
Make sure she wears rubber gloves before she touches your Mickey, better still everyone should put on a hazmat suit the second before she walks in the door.

On top of that, apparently there some virus going round so you should take measures to protect yourselves from that too
This is going to be class #worldwarzfantasy
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Conspicuous wrote:
The compliance rate is nowhere near 99% and the restrictions need to go a lot further. The rumoured measures may smell like bs to you but they’re very similar to those being introduced to other European countries. Let’s see what happens

Edit: just to add pubs did in their hoop “voluntarily shut down when asked “ . A small number may have but most only announced they were when told the decision was being taken out of their hands . Plenty of them still open today
Yes they fucking did. There's no pubs open in Drumcondra, Phibsboro or Glasnevin today( I gave up at about 12). I said it already in the thread but a lot of their owners/management and staff will be in the high risk categories. And it's been happening up and down the country.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Leinsterman wrote:For once, social media has actually done something good!
Unprecedented times !
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

EverReady wrote:
MrJonno wrote:

This is going to be class #worldwarzfantasy
Nurses outfit would be great but I’d say they are sold out.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Conspicuous wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:Many pubs in Cork closed yesterday or earlier today voluntarily.
Sure many did but many more didn’t . Lots of pubs packed to the rafters all weekend. Any pub making the announcement today didn’t really make the decision voluntarily in the public interest, they made it in light of a strong social media campaign to get them to close and in the knowledge that the government was taking action to force them to close in the coming days
Maybe part of the reason some are packed to the rafters is there's not many places to?
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

paddyor wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
The compliance rate is nowhere near 99% and the restrictions need to go a lot further. The rumoured measures may smell like bs to you but they’re very similar to those being introduced to other European countries. Let’s see what happens

Edit: just to add pubs did in their hoop “voluntarily shut down when asked “ . A small number may have but most only announced they were when told the decision was being taken out of their hands . Plenty of them still open today
Yes they fucking did. There's no pubs open in Drumcondra, Phibsboro or Glasnevin today( I gave up at about 12). I said it already in the thread but a lot of their owners/management and staff will be in the high risk categories. And it's been happening up and down the country.
See my post above , basically not enough of them did close voluntarily to make their efforts effective, until the decision was essentially taken out of their hands .
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

https://twitter.com/tina_nguyen/status/ ... 4863519744

Good thread on scoail distancing. Basically in 2 weeks we'll know who to treat as a leper.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Conspicuous wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:

See my post above , basically not enough of them did close voluntarily to make their efforts effective, until the decision was essentially taken out of their hands .
No think about it. If 50% of the pubs close the crowd will squeeze into the remaining 50%. ANd it gets worse the higher % of the pubs close. If you were over 50 handling cash in a bar all day you'd basically be resigned to getting the virus.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Amazing, everyone must know this same senior Garda who was in that meeting earlier. Someone had posted the same message word for word on Boards.ie
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

paddyor wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
Maybe part of the reason some are packed to the rafters is there's not many places to?
Nah, that wasn’t it

The majority of pubs were open on Friday and Saturday after government advice on social distancing was issued. Many of them were packed as evidenced by the videos circulating on social media. Sure , some pubs closed but they were firmly in a minority. That has all changed today obviously now that every publican knows what’s around the corner. The point is that when it was largely left up to them it was basically business as usual

Not sure why you think so many pub employees are in the high risk group ? (as a % compared to other sectors)
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Leinsterman wrote:Amazing, everyone must know this same senior Garda who was in that meeting earlier. Someone had posted the same message word for word on Boards.ie
It would make a man very suspicious of a range of people
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

paddyor wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:

No think about it. If 50% of the pubs close the crowd will squeeze into the remaining 50%. ANd it gets worse the higher % of the pubs close. If you were over 50 handling cash in a bar all day you'd basically be resigned to getting the virus.
I have thought about it , and there’s no way 50% of the pubs in Dublin were closed on Saturday. Anyway this conversation was initiated by Ruckinhell’s assertion that 99% of the public were following government advice and pubs were all closing down voluntarily, meaning lockdown was completely unnecessary

I disagreed with the premise of his argument, I don’t disagree that some publicans may have made a conscientious effort
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Leinsterman wrote:Amazing, everyone must know this same senior Garda who was in that meeting earlier. Someone had posted the same message word for word on Boards.ie
:lol:
CM11

Post by CM11 »

The issue with the video from Temple Bar isn't that it was packed, as such, but the behaviour of the people where they were throwing two fingers up to the advice.

Not enough direction was given in terms of pubs but going out of your way to touch other people's hands? Ffs.
ruckinhell

Post by ruckinhell »

Conspicuous wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:

I have thought about it , and there’s no way 50% of the pubs in Dublin were closed on Saturday. Anyway this conversation was initiated by Ruckinhell’s assertion that 99% of the public were following government advice and pubs were all closing down voluntarily, meaning lockdown was completely unnecessary

I disagreed with the premise of his argument, I don’t disagree that some publicans may have made a conscientious effort
99 was a poor choice of a figure but the level of compliance is a large enough percentage that the idea that we bring in martial law is daft. Temple bar organisation shut down the pubs when asked, the idea we need troops on the ground to impose order is comical because it's not necessary at this stage and we don't have enough to do it effectively on a nationwide scale.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

https://www.thejournal.ie/cheery-orchar ... 2-Mar2020/

I think this is the type of thing the army will be needed for rather than stopping regular people leaving their houses. Civil unrest in the group that's been turned into sociopaths will need to be contained.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Surreal driving through town this evening with everything closed or closing.

More surreal saying bye to family today and not knowing when you'll see them again :(
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

CM11 wrote:https://www.thejournal.ie/cheery-orchar ... 2-Mar2020/

I think this is the type of thing the army will be needed for rather than stopping regular people leaving their houses. Civil unrest in the group that's been turned into sociopaths will need to be contained.
Start cracking skulls, and when the Shinners/PbP start whining ask them out straight to defend the young peoples actions.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Conspicuous wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:

There was loads of places open today, many only decided to close when they realised the backlash from last night would take the power to reopen again out of their hands. There was a couple of places in the city centre open at 7pm this evening.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

The army won't deal with that sort of stuff. It's not constitutionally allowed.

Anyway, saw a post on Instagram earlier from a family we know in Atlanta.
They stuck up a photo of their kids and sooner other kids with:
"Our version of social distancing is hanging with healthy close friends and family" :uhoh:
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Ruckinhell I think you’re greatly underestimating the rate of compliance required of the general public to make social distancing effective. I also believe you’re greatly overestimating the number of people who have shown a willingness to comply with the guidelines without having their arm forced on the issue

This is a unique, unprecedented situation we find ourselves in andwe know we need social distancing at any cost to slow the spread of the virus. I certainly wouldn’t be writing off martial law at this stage as stupid or unnecessary when we don’t seem to have a grip on public compliance and we don’t know
how many of the public will react to new restrictions being placed on them
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Leinsterman wrote:

The army won't deal with that sort of stuff. It's not constitutionally allowed.

Anyway, saw a post on Instagram earlier from a family we know in Atlanta.
They stuck up a photo of their kids and sooner other kids with:
"Our version of social distancing is hanging with healthy close friends and family" :uhoh:
I’m sure the firing range would be grand also, churches too obviously.
Thoughts and prayers.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Bullettyme wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
paddyor wrote: Yes they fucking did. There's no pubs open in Drumcondra, Phibsboro or Glasnevin today( I gave up at about 12). I said it already in the thread but a lot of their owners/management and staff will be in the high risk categories. And it's been happening up and down the country.

There was loads of places open today, many only decided to close when they realised the backlash from last night would take the power to reopen again out of their hands. There was a couple of places in the city centre open at 7pm this evening.
No, Smyths was the only pub open in Ranelagh today and even it had a sign saying only 100 people at a time could be inside. I didn't go in to check.

I did notice that Nightmarket was using its side outside space for people to collect take aways.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

I see Richie Barratt is offering beds in unopened nursing homes he's developed to the state at cost. These would be quasi-hospital beds with full hospital bed head facilities.

Much better than hotel beds.

:thumbup:
MrBunhead

Post by MrBunhead »

Lidl is gonna be JCBed
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Bullettyme wrote:Surreal driving through town this evening with everything closed or closing.

More surreal saying bye to family today and not knowing when you'll see them again :(
Yeah. Was a bit shit telling my mother she isn't going to see her grandchildren for the foreseeable but that's how it has to be now really. Think bar going to the supermarket that's it for me for a few weeks. Cutting off contact with everyone.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

danthefan wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:Surreal driving through town this evening with everything closed or closing.

Yeah. Was a bit shit telling my mother she isn't going to see her grandchildren for the foreseeable but that's how it has to be now really. Think bar going to the supermarket that's it for me for a few weeks. Cutting off contact with everyone.
Spoke to my older brother yesterday and he was devastated that he won’t be seeing his grandkids for a while. He and his wife are the childminders for his daughters three kids in particular and they have daily contact, and while he understands that this is being done out of concern for his welfare, he said he was almost in tears when his daughter gave him the news on Friday. It’s a shit time.
JoeMangled

Post by JoeMangled »

Get grandparents on Skype if you can lads. That's what we are doing.

They'll need something to look forward too.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Shrewd fella, his father worked for KPMG
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Lads what's the craic with going out for a walk? Is it cool if you're on your own and keep your distance or not?
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

I’m assuming it’s fine until told otherwise
JoeMangled

Post by JoeMangled »

Yeah, also think it is fine. Just keep your distance from people. Unfortunately not so possible in the shops.

mad times we are living in to type that out.