Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
Foot Up

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Foot Up »

I think in general (90-95% of people) are doing quite well here. Its not perfect social isolation, but how long could people actually sustain that? We simply dont have a military or police force that can enforce it - especially outside the big smoke. The way I am looking at (likely over optimistically), that if we did nothing, in a typical working day you have something in the range of 100M social interactions in Dublin every day - between handshakes, offices, public transport, pubs etc. Now with measures put in place are we at 5% of that? and probably lower with the at risk demographics. Numbers out of my arse obviously but you get the point.

Like has been said, there is no stopping this, its about buying as much time to save lives as possble. I think a Leo broadcast to put the fear of god into people would have been a good idea last night as you can feel it getting a bit more relaxed - in itself not a bad thing, I've said since day one don't panic or freakout but take action. People are going to die :( and the economy is going to crash unlike anything we have ever seen before, but we can limit the damage to human life and the economy will recover in time.

I'd be quite happy with (1) the government action and (2) the response from the public.. Especially when you compare to the rest of the world. Last weekend, one pub went viral for keeping their doors open, the weekend before in Milan, post semi-lockdown, the clubs were mobbed. The videos from the streets and beaches of London, Australia, Miami etc would cause me far greater fear

In terms of the cases numbers spiking, I'd question how relevant that is. Testing is accelerating at exponential rate - which will hopefully see a decrease in serious/fatal case %

Look after yourself lads, I truly look forward to chatting sh1t about rugby in the future with you all
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

CM11 wrote:Expand on the take away thing Duff. Is there more of a risk than just being unlucky to get the virus transferred from a staff member?

We don't do a huge amount of takeaway so it won't be missed but I was hoping to treat the kids every now and then to keep the spirits up.
I understand that. I would personally avoid take aways for the few weeks for the following reasons

1. It adds a non-essential exposure to your day
2. The virus although it has a weak coat can live on surfaces quite some time, we’re not sure exactly, but it’s hours
3. Takeaways are a major source of food poisoning

Of course you can mitigate the risks somewhat by choosing a restaurant that has excellent hygiene, contactless delivery etc.

We are in unchartered territory here and the advice is subject to change. Beware people who didn’t know what a coronavirus was before this crisis giving matter of fact information based on a 2 minute google.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Look after yourself lads, I truly look forward to chatting sh1t about rugby in the future with you all
Amen to that. I think a major Christmas cabal is in order when all this is over.
sewa

Post by sewa »

Mullet 2 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:Sorry apologies for the tone last night I was overtired. Cammy the point I was trying to make was that the government have given a slightly misleading guidance that shopping is fine so long as you keep the 2m distance. I think this is giving a lot of people a false sense that fine to pop to the shops. The virus is spreading massively this week and due to the lag phase we won’t see the damage of this for another two weeks. Shopping should be absolutely minimum time and exposure and absolutely essentials only - though the idea of an essential is open to interpretation granted. From what I’ve learned about this virus - take aways should be completely out for example.
I had a woman arguing that because Government has not specifically advised against exercise with others its fine.

When pointed out they haven't specifically said dont bake or power weld with others either she just said "two metres".

This is what happens when you use the big speech to say call your granny and wash your hands
Bollocks, you can't pin this on Leo much as you're desperate to try
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

Leinsterman wrote:
alliswell wrote:Getting tested in Croker tomorrow :thumbup:
Been 1 week isolated. Losing my mind a fair bit now tbh. Hopefully results come back quick.
How have you been feeling?
Yeah grand, just had this cough for a week now. Rang them initially on Monday as I had a bit of a fever and they just got back to me today. I would guess I am low priority and quite rightly as I feel grand and am a relatively healthy, relatively young fellow
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

And thanks for the well wishes
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Duff Paddy wrote:
CM11 wrote:Expand on the take away thing Duff. Is there more of a risk than just being unlucky to get the virus transferred from a staff member?

We don't do a huge amount of takeaway so it won't be missed but I was hoping to treat the kids every now and then to keep the spirits up.
I understand that. I would personally avoid take aways for the few weeks for the following reasons

2. The virus although it has a weak coat can live on surfaces quite some time, we’re not sure exactly, but it’s hours

Of course you can mitigate the risks somewhat by choosing a restaurant that has excellent hygiene, contactless delivery etc.

We are in unchartered territory here and the advice is subject to change. Beware people who didn’t know what a coronavirus was before this crisis giving matter of fact information based on a 2 minute google.
Except again, we have people in here advocating for Italy style lockdowns and even at a far greater degree than there in Wuhan, they had takeaways.

There has been no advice to that effect other than your own musings.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

alliswell wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
alliswell wrote:Getting tested in Croker tomorrow :thumbup:
Been 1 week isolated. Losing my mind a fair bit now tbh. Hopefully results come back quick.
How have you been feeling?
Yeah grand, just had this cough for a week now. Rang them initially on Monday as I had a bit of a fever and they just got back to me today. I would guess I am low priority and quite rightly as I feel grand and am a relatively healthy, relatively young fellow
Glad to hear it. Get well soon :thumbup:
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

I’m at high risk personally. There are a few on here who are medically compromised and they can’t leave anything to chance. You’re in your 20’s and feel bulletproof. Make your own risk assessments. Err on the side of caution.
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

I remembered yesterday that I bought a uv light torch a few months ago; & i've been scanning that over an packages.

It might only be a placebo, though, because I've no idea of the energy levels
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

fishfoodie wrote:I remembered yesterday that I bought a uv light torch a few months ago; & i've been scanning that over an packages.

Run it on your bed!
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

YOYO wrote:
fishfoodie wrote:I remembered yesterday that I bought a uv light torch a few months ago; & i've been scanning that over an packages.

Run it on your bed!
:lol:

and the ceiling

and the walls

and the stairs.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Duff Paddy wrote:

My parents are completely self isolating as they’re elderly and she has a heart condition. I’m doing the shopping for them and leaving it outside the door for them . What do you reckon is a safe time before they pick it up to make sure any virus has died ?
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Tell them to live off the land. It's the only way to be sure.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Nobody knows. The HSE advice is that it’s an hour for the droplets to be out of the atmosphere indoors, meaning that the virus is then all on surfaces. They think it is mostly inactive by 24hours on surfaces even without any cleaning. I haven’t seen any definitive advice on it.
Last edited by Duff Paddy on Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

fishfoodie wrote:
YOYO wrote:

Run it on your bed!

and the ceiling

and the walls

and the stairs.
You’ll probably start freaking out if you actually do that.
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

YOYO wrote:
fishfoodie wrote:
YOYO wrote:

Run it on your bed!

and the ceiling

and the walls

and the stairs.
You’ll probably start freaking out if you actually do that.
Me making a cuppa later ...

Salanya

Post by Salanya »

Duff Paddy wrote:I’m at high risk personally. There are a few on here who are medically compromised and they can’t leave anything to chance. You’re in your 20’s and feel bulletproof. Make your own risk assessments. Err on the side of caution.
I knew you were old, but I didn't think you were that old!! :shock:
normilet

Post by normilet »

GP just informed my wife she has to get tested. Fever, sore throat, cough etc. since Wednesday. Will be 3-5 days before a slot will be available for her apparently. Has to self isolate in the mean time.

Not feeling too great myself this morning either. Fun times ahead.
HighKingLeinster

Post by HighKingLeinster »

normilet wrote:GP just informed my wife she has to get tested. Fever, sore throat, cough etc. since Wednesday. Will be 3-5 days before a slot will be available for her apparently. Has to self isolate in the mean time.

Not feeling too great myself this morning either. Fun times ahead.
Hopefully everything is fine

On the plus side, if she has it and has subsequently infected you then you can lord it over her for the rest of your lives/marriage* and effectively win every arguement

W: you havent put the bins out
You: you gave me Coronavirus
W: blowie?

* marriage may be short lived if you overuse it
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Alliswell's results will be waited on with bated breath. A lot of people have had similar symptoms recently
ID2

Post by ID2 »

I wonder what conditions are needed to make it take off in a major way in a particular place, there must be a critical number of people. I don't how China kept it contained to just Wuhan when you see all the clusters popping up across the globe, especially when it started around Chinese New Year
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Duff Paddy wrote:Nobody knows. The HSE advice is that it’s an hour for the droplets to be out of the atmosphere indoors, meaning that the virus is then all on surfaces. They think it is mostly inactive by 24hours on surfaces even without any cleaning. I haven’t seen any definitive advice on it.
Yeah the wife is going by HSE advice and telling me that an hour or two will be fine but I’m reading other places that it could be much longer and nobody is really sure . I’m trying to protect my parents as best I can but there’s no point in me protecting them from the supermarkets but then passing it on to them myself. She’s a public health nurse calling to houses with babies and young children in them every day so there’s a high risk of her picking up the virus and passing it on to me . We’ve accepted that but I don’t want to pass it on to my parents. In a bit of a quandary here :?
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

danthefan wrote:Tell them to live off the land. It's the only way to be sure.
Not sure how long the roses and acer trees will keep them going !

Hopefully they listened to Eamon Ryan’s rant
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Only if you actually do the proper distancing smartarse
themaddog

Post by themaddog »

EverReady wrote:
Flametop wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Flametop wrote:
Sounds like she’s hitting on you.
Rule 1.
I suspect you are right. So does my missus :lol:
Not sure you’re allowed threesomes at the moment but you’ll go out in style.
She isn't of the threesome vintage. Tbf the internet doesn't agree with me
When this is over everyone will be up for a threesome.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

So it's interesting to see what shops are doing.
Maxizoo in Liffey Valley doesn't have any limits on people going in but it's always relatively quiet anyway. No restriction in Range either but it was very quiet.

There was a queue with people respecting the 2m rule to get into Smyth's Toys and they are only allowing adults with one child to go in.
Woodies also had a sizeable queue to get in and very noticeable that it was mainly younger people and hardly any OAPs or older people who would typically be there during the weekend.

Car parks empty everywhere. I know it's not a total lockdown but what's currently happening must definitely help limit the spread or at least slow it down.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Dunnes in Rathmines had a long queue of people keeping the 2m distance. Only allowing 100 people into the shop at a time with priority for elderly and mobility impaired, and handing out a pair of plastic gloves to everybody entering. Being very strict about 2m separation at the checkouts as well.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

camroc1 wrote:Dunnes in Rathmines had a long queue of people keeping the 2m distance. Only allowing 100 people into the shop at a time with priority for elderly and mobility impaired, and handing out a pair of plastic gloves to everybody entering. Being very strict about 2m separation at the checkouts as well.
Good to hear. Haven't been there since Monday and they had very little in place. Very hard to keep the distancing in that place too. Are they working on a go up one aisle, down another format?
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

CM11 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:Dunnes in Rathmines had a long queue of people keeping the 2m distance. Only allowing 100 people into the shop at a time with priority for elderly and mobility impaired, and handing out a pair of plastic gloves to everybody entering. Being very strict about 2m separation at the checkouts as well.
Good to hear. Haven't been there since Monday and they had very little in place. Very hard to keep the distancing in that place too. Are they working on a go up one aisle, down another format?
No, relying on people to be sensible, and with only 100 in the shop, people mostly are.

Shop is well stocked, including lots of bog roll.

The run of shops on Upper Rathmines Road are only allowing three in at a time with a self policing queue outside each.
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

Duff Paddy wrote:https://twitter.com/laoneill111/status/ ... 15424?s=21

Stay in your houses
Ah Duff you seem like you're having a very hard time with this.

People need to be able to leave the house and while I can't comment on what people are doing out in the world it seems like a sizeable cohort are coping on. Like people shouldn't be doing stupid things like heading out for a slap up bhuna but you can get out somewhere spacey and have a walk. You'd go mad otherwise.
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

sewa wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:Sorry apologies for the tone last night I was overtired. Cammy the point I was trying to make was that the government have given a slightly misleading guidance that shopping is fine so long as you keep the 2m distance. I think this is giving a lot of people a false sense that fine to pop to the shops. The virus is spreading massively this week and due to the lag phase we won’t see the damage of this for another two weeks. Shopping should be absolutely minimum time and exposure and absolutely essentials only - though the idea of an essential is open to interpretation granted. From what I’ve learned about this virus - take aways should be completely out for example.
I had a woman arguing that because Government has not specifically advised against exercise with others its fine.

When pointed out they haven't specifically said dont bake or power weld with others either she just said "two metres".

This is what happens when you use the big speech to say call your granny and wash your hands
Bollocks, you can't pin this on Leo much as you're desperate to try
It's a funny take on the conversation alright. You're going to have complete idiots regardless of what was or wasn't said in the speech.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Strange Duff didn’t mention that.
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

Mullet 2 wrote:This is why it's going to have to go Italy.

It's not OK and I think they know it really. It seems overwhelming to be women for some reason.

Women aren't reasonable or rational creatures. This isn't news. They can find a way to justify anything.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Looking at the main Covid thread and it looks like the panic buying we saw last week here is hitting the UK supermarkets this weekend.
I know some of you guys have been critical of our approach but I'm glad I'm here and not in the UK right now.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

The jockeys in Thurles certainly aren't adhering to social distancing guidelines lining up! Eejits.
Salanya

Post by Salanya »

Hellraiser wrote:

It's not OK and I think they know it really. It seems overwhelming to be women for some reason.

Women aren't reasonable or rational creatures. This isn't news. They can find a way to justify anything.
Spoken like a true wanker
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Hellraiser wrote:

The first rule of fight club...