Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
EverReady

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by EverReady »

iarmhiman wrote:I think the numbers will rise tomorrow. Isn't there a backlog with testing results. You would imagine as more of them are processed we see the big increases
That's illogical. They are testing the same amount everyday unless your thesis is the earlier ones are less likely to be positive which probably has some merit
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

iarmhiman wrote:15,000 cases were prediced by end of month.

We may still have 10000.

Anyway it's not the number of cases thats important. It's the number requiring ICU
I reckon any half decent statistician could look at number of stats, ICU patients, tests, total populations, dates etc and graph it all fairly quickly to make a decent comparison of where we all are.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Gavin Duffy wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Botha Boy wrote:
It’s been well published the impact of being able to reduce the infection rate, but this is week 1 in a long war, I believe, so we need to sustain our efforts and not celebrate in any way. There are already some amber-flashing signals from the hospital sector that they are really suffering and growing worried for their future abilities to cope. But the strategy laid out above sounds like we are making sensible moves as best we can.

Germany seems to be doing well (I know I might look like an idiot in tomorrow’s results) but it seems you can have a high level of cases and deal with them without the significant level of fatalities we are seeing elsewhere. I suspect this is down to their level of hospital and ICU resources and “you can never write off the Germans” level of planning.
The Germans lose 25k in a single bad flu season. Their health service is way more robust than ours or even the UKs. They've 30k ventilators already. That flatten the curve diagram with the helath care cpacity line is kind of misleading
So why is their life expectancy lower than Italy's and Ireland's?
Communism maybe?
Gauss

Post by Gauss »

If the north really goes tits up we could have a refugee situation on our hands. :uhoh:
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

Gavin Duffy wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Botha Boy wrote:
It’s been well published the impact of being able to reduce the infection rate, but this is week 1 in a long war, I believe, so we need to sustain our efforts and not celebrate in any way. There are already some amber-flashing signals from the hospital sector that they are really suffering and growing worried for their future abilities to cope. But the strategy laid out above sounds like we are making sensible moves as best we can.

Germany seems to be doing well (I know I might look like an idiot in tomorrow’s results) but it seems you can have a high level of cases and deal with them without the significant level of fatalities we are seeing elsewhere. I suspect this is down to their level of hospital and ICU resources and “you can never write off the Germans” level of planning.
The Germans lose 25k in a single bad flu season. Their health service is way more robust than ours or even the UKs. They've 30k ventilators already. That flatten the curve diagram with the helath care cpacity line is kind of misleading
So why is their life expectancy lower than Italy's and Ireland's?
Have you heard of the concept of “Whataboutery” ? Answer the question asked. The Germans seem to have superior healthcare resources available as well as unerring ability to turn the game around in the second half ... capiche ?
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Gauss wrote:If the north really goes tits up we could have a refugee situation on our hands. :uhoh:
Willie in me attic at last!!!!!!
CM11

Post by CM11 »

EverReady wrote:https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... -1.4209060

Bit mad this. Corona is not a straight Italian line.
This really has to be 'it'. It's the only explanation as to why a virus they're saying is 10 times less contagious than chicken pox is spreading in a similar manner. In some ways it's good news if many more people have it than we think (and that's already assuming way more have it than the figures) but it makes it virtually impossible to ensure you avoid passing it on to the vulnerable.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

CM11 wrote:

This really has to be 'it'. It's the only explanation as to why a virus they're saying is 10 times less contagious than chicken pox is spreading in a similar manner. In some ways it's good news if many more people have it than we think (and that's already assuming way more have it than the figures) but it makes it virtually impossible to ensure you avoid passing it on to the vulnerable.
Or he's a false positive.
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

CM11 wrote:

It shows why social distancing & developing a swift, accurate test are critical.

If you don't know you aren't infectious; you have to assume you are !
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

paddyor wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Lads I am starting to think a lot of the colds and sore throats in the last few weeks, we spoke about them, were actually something a little more sinister. I dismissed it initially as the Italian holiday makers were not long back but then I heard a doctor say the cold/flu season was basically finished so this it was likely Covid. Look I get we don't know but I am awfully suspicious as I said elsewhere. That suspicion means nothing so I am just shooting the breeze
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

I'm thinking the same thing. My wife was talking to some of her friends this evening and one of them said her husband was at a conference in Singapore just before Christmas and a week after he came back be was in bed with a temperature for a few days and then a cough that lingered for about a month. Said the conference was with a load of Chinese delegates.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

EverReady wrote:Lads I am starting to think a lot of the colds and sore throats in the last few weeks, we spoke about them, were actually something a little more sinister. I dismissed it initially as the Italian holiday makers were not long back but then I heard a doctor say the cold/flu season was basically finished so this it was likely Covid. Look I get we don't know but I am awfully suspicious as I said elsewhere. That suspicion means nothing so I am just shooting the breeze
I would like to believe this. My mam got a virus with similar symptons back the weekend of the Wales game but she could just be saying that to jail break. But where were the deaths? Maybe there's something to the pollution/viral load theory. Or maybe it's a more dangerous strain. They're developing a test to find antibodies that immunize aginast the pathogen after you've had it so we'll know soon enough.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

paddyor wrote:
EverReady wrote:Lads I am starting to think a lot of the colds and sore throats in the last few weeks, we spoke about them, were actually something a little more sinister. I dismissed it initially as the Italian holiday makers were not long back but then I heard a doctor say the cold/flu season was basically finished so this it was likely Covid. Look I get we don't know but I am awfully suspicious as I said elsewhere. That suspicion means nothing so I am just shooting the breeze
I would like to believe this. My mam got a virus with similar symptons back the weekend of the Wales game but she could just be saying that to jail break. But where were the deaths? Maybe there's something to the pollution/viral load theory. Or maybe it's a more dangerous strain. They're developing a test to find antibodies that immunize aginast the pathogen after you've had it so we'll know soon enough.
Some deaths would have been assumed as flu or something else, like what happened in Spain but every time I have this thought I come back to the why is it only now that every health system is overloaded.

Might make a 5g conspiracy theorist out of me after all. :shock: :P
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

CM11 wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Some deaths would have been assumed as flu or something else, like what happened in Spain but every time I have this thought I come back to the why is it only now that every health system is overloaded.

Might make a 5g conspiracy theorist out of me after all. :shock: :P
It can spread more easily in the absense of a vaccine I suppose. A lot of the people dying in Italy are people who would normally get vaccinated.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

EverReady wrote:
paddyor wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Lads I am starting to think a lot of the colds and sore throats in the last few weeks, we spoke about them, were actually something a little more sinister. I dismissed it initially as the Italian holiday makers were not long back but then I heard a doctor say the cold/flu season was basically finished so this it was likely Covid. Look I get we don't know but I am awfully suspicious as I said elsewhere. That suspicion means nothing so I am just shooting the breeze
I had a flu last month and it definitely felt like an old school flu. Throat and nose more than lungs were fúcked.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Uncle Fester wrote:Terrifying read.
https://www.propublica.org/article/a-me ... g-patients
Jesus. Grim.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

The figures are not borne out by these various articles. He consistently refers to the one outlier case of a guy in his early 40's with minimal previous. What's the minimal? Asthma? The facts are it kills old people and generally puts them in ICU. Frontline staff are also not reliable witnesses at the best of time. Having managed them stress, tiredness, anger with perceived management disinterest can cause them to take extreme examples and extrapolate from them that that is the norm. We would get the call from the union to discuss the proliferation of x. It would be bollox. A few years back I had one frontline manager telling staff members of y community did x to their children. It was bollox based on one case that she discussed with a mate abroad. She had even presented at a meeting on it. Be very wary of first-hand accounts from knackered frontline staff.
Rumham

Post by Rumham »

Another Italian ski wanker, off on their jolly earlier this month. At what point did people decide traveling on their self indulgent ski trip to a increasingly infected area of Northern Italy might be taking the piss?
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Tbf a lot of people weren't paying attention
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

Rumham wrote:

Another Italian ski wanker, off on their jolly earlier this month. At what point did people decide traveling on their self indulgent ski trip to a increasingly infected area of Northern Italy might be taking the piss?
That was way back in Feb when he went, he said there were only ~10 cases in Italy at the time
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Conversely there was a sports journalist on Newstalk yesterday and the conversation with the presenter went like this

'nobody knew before we went'
'oh yeah sure we were talking about whether Ireland should play Slovakia behind doors'
Nobody knew...if I had of known'
'oh yeah didn't seem a problem'
'Totally. I don't want to talk about Cheltenham'
'oh yeah. So Thurles'

There was tonnes of integrity on show

'
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

EverReady wrote:Conversely there was a sports journalist on Newstalk yesterday and the conversation with the presenter went like this

'oh yeah sure we were talking about whether Ireland should play Slovakia behind doors'
'oh yeah. So Thurles'

'
On OTB? It vanished up its own arse long ago
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

danthefan wrote:
EverReady wrote:Conversely there was a sports journalist on Newstalk yesterday and the conversation with the presenter went like this

'oh yeah. So Thurles'

'
On OTB? It vanished up its own arse long ago
It was fücking stupid. The journo making shit excuses and the presenter who is obviously his mate going yeah yeah yeah
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

Is that the guy who went over to cover Cheltenham? I didn't hear that yesterday, but him saying no one knew is obvious BS because I heard him on Ivan Yeats before he went over and he was questioned directly on whether it was a good idea to go or not.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

de_Selby wrote:Is that the guy who went over to cover Cheltenham? I didn't hear that yesterday, but him saying no one knew is obvious BS because I heard him on Ivan Yeats before he went over and he was questioned directly on whether it was a good idea to go or not.
Yeah. He then sort of pathetically said he never wanted to hear about it again. Not a finger never mind a hand up
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Ireland - Italy was postponed on the 26th February, all St Patricks Day parades were cancelled on the 9th March.

Anyone claiming they didn't know there was a problem after 9th march, and even perhaps after 26th February a week earlier, is a lying piece of shit. This week is when we'll see the 'Cheltenham' figures add to our problems.
Last edited by camroc1 on Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

'oh yeah. So Thurles'

'
What’s his name?
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

anonymous_joe wrote:
EverReady wrote:
paddyor wrote:
CM11 wrote:

I had a flu last month and it definitely felt like an old school flu. Throat and nose more than lungs were fúcked.
Throst and nose is more a common cold than flu

Flu is headache coughing, aches and pains and zero energy
Rumham

Post by Rumham »

de_Selby wrote:
Rumham wrote:

That was way back in Feb when he went, he said there were only ~10 cases in Italy at the time
Donal O’Sullivan, a former mayor of Arklow and former president of Arklow Chamber of Commerce, said he was one of seven people who tested positive for the virus. The seven were among a group of 18 people who had travelled to northern Italy earlier this month. He said at that time there were only “10 to 12” confirmed cases of coronavirus, also known as Covid-19, in Italy. But he said because schools and factories closed many people may have taken the opportunity to go skiing and the Italians “had no idea of the levels of infection” in the community.
Only 10 to 12 cases in the country yet they had shut the factories and schools? This happened in March. It also said it was earlier this month directly in the story so I highly doubt his bullshit story that there were so few cases. Irresponsible, selfish plebs. They knew what was going on yet wouldn't cancel their holiday to put themselves out.

Ireland Italy had also been postponed for fear of them coming here yet you are willing to go there? Absolute rubbish.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Was it Dunphy? he was on the radio yesterday and spoke sensibly about measures, but he is not an expert and we don't need to hear from him.
New Scientist magazine saying there could be a mild strain and a killer strain.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Gavin Duffy wrote:

'oh yeah. So Thurles'

'
What’s his name?
Don't know either names. Was just driving the car and wouldn't regularly listen. He must do the horses for them. Used to have a lad Don something but it was a younger sounding lad than him
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Yeah, it’s complete bullshit.
People took chances and were selfish in doing so.
They brought the virus back and gave it to others.

This chap entered Peru on March 10th.
For reference, there was no toilet paper in Tescos that day and the schools closed on March 12th.
Now he’s trapped in Peru and his essential prescription meds will run out in three weeks.
(They don’t say if he was travelling South America in other countries or for how long if he was in fairness)
Completely irresponsible behaviour if he flew in from Europe on those dates though.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... 1?mode=amp
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Gauss wrote:If the north really goes tits up we could have a refugee situation on our hands. :uhoh:
Over all the years on this bored that has got to be the stupidest post I’ve ever read. Well done 👍
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Rumham wrote:
de_Selby wrote:
Rumham wrote:

Donal O’Sullivan, a former mayor of Arklow and former president of Arklow Chamber of Commerce, said he was one of seven people who tested positive for the virus. The seven were among a group of 18 people who had travelled to northern Italy earlier this month. He said at that time there were only “10 to 12” confirmed cases of coronavirus, also known as Covid-19, in Italy. But he said because schools and factories closed many people may have taken the opportunity to go skiing and the Italians “had no idea of the levels of infection” in the community.
Only 10 to 12 cases in the country yet they had shut the factories and schools? This happened in March. It also said it was earlier this month directly in the story so I highly doubt his bullshit story that there were so few cases. Irresponsible, selfish plebs. They knew what was going on yet wouldn't cancel their holiday to put themselves out.

Ireland Italy had also been postponed for fear of them coming here yet you are willing to go there? Absolute rubbish.
1500 cases on the 1st March.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Winnie wrote:
Over all the years on this bored that has got to be the stupidest post I’ve ever read. Well done 👍
Yep if anything we may have rely on your goodwill to stay north and to not bring the virus south
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Flametop wrote:Yeah, it’s complete bullshit.
People took chances and were selfish in doing so.
They brought the virus back and gave it to others.

This chap entered Peru on March 10th.
For reference, there was no toilet paper in Tescos that day and the schools closed on March 12th.
Now he’s trapped in Peru and his essential prescription meds will run out in three weeks.
(They don’t say if he was travelling South America in other countries or for how long if he was in fairness)
Completely irresponsible behaviour if he flew in from Europe on those dates though.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... 1?mode=amp
Don't know if it's the same for the Peru guy, but my relations and others have been combining holidays with teaching coding.
They brought gifted tablets and solar chargers.
Home since late last year and most of them can't find work here, no good deed etc.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

@ER it was Barry geraghty, a jockey - just listened to a bit of the podcast there
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Gavin Duffy wrote:@ER it was Barry geraghty, a jockey - just listened to a bit of the podcast there
Was it. I thought I would recognise his voice but tbf long time since I heard him.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Winnie wrote:
Are you upset I said Willie could stay?