Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
Floppykid

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Floppykid »

Pubs exist for people to drink it, that's their sole purpose.

Restaurants can serve, but nobody other than someone with a drinking problem will be getting trashed in them, let alone be allowed to get drunk. You'd hope anyway.

I'm not saying I have an opinion on it, but I'm doing my best to guess the logic.
I don't personally think it's some nanny state/lobbying effort.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Floppykid wrote:Pubs exist for people to drink it, that's their sole purpose.

Restaurants can serve, but nobody other than someone with a drinking problem will be getting trashed in them, let alone be allowed to get drunk. You'd hope anyway.

I'm not saying I have an opinion on it, but I'm doing my best to guess the logic.
Pubs serve more food than restaurants.
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

Got a tee off time booked at Ardee tomorrow ;) NI citizens free to travel in ROI , thanks to agent Drew. :nod:[/quote]
You'll be disappointed. :lol: They don't reopen until May 18th and it's members only. :nod:[/quote]

Mate is Past Captain, no worries.

Hoping we will get out up here in a few weeks as well.[/quote]
Ask nicely and I'll sneak you out someday.
The GUI/ILGU made a submission to both governments. I would imagine, when things ease up North, golf will be one of the first activities restored.[/quote]

Ditto and I'll return the favour
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

CM11 wrote:
Floppykid wrote:Pubs exist for people to drink it, that's their sole purpose.

Pubs serve more food than restaurants.
Change my sole to primary then maybe?
If you want to have a meal and a drink, there's a restaurant.
Last edited by Floppykid on Fri May 01, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Possible RR but Rugby confirmed as in phase 5
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Mullet 2 wrote:Possible RR but Rugby confirmed as in phase 5
All contact sports really. We knew this season was done so doesn’t make too much difference.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Bullet you’re being a bit silly here . Can you really not see the difference between enforcing physical distancing in a bar and a restaurant? Even if pubs are restricted to offering table service to customers there’s going to be difficult situations keeping people apart . It’s actually hard to imagine many scenarios in a pub where someone with a few drinks onboard isn’t trying to get closer to another customer or a member of staff . Restaurants are different by nature and the average customer consumes far less alcohol
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

If you really want to meet up with mates as safely as possible, organise a meal I guess.
Have a beer or two.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Did they mention gym? Phase 5 I presume?
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

The issue here is that Publicans are greedy cúnts.

So you can't trust them. "Sweet Caroline"
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Restaurants will see people booking tables and just ordering drinks :lol:
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Duff Paddy wrote:Restaurants will see people booking tables and just ordering drinks :lol:
Restaurants will be delighted with that. That's where they traditionally make their margin
"Just some bread please and a bottle of wine each"
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Duff Paddy wrote:Restaurants will see people booking tables and just ordering drinks :lol:
Yep
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Prossibly.
It'll be more controlled maybe?
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

God the Late Late is painful.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

alliswell wrote:God the Late Late is painful.
Shite isnt it
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

Even if people start taking the piss in restaurants you can at least keep groups that will mix relatively separate and in smaller numbers. It's ridiculous to suggest there is no difference between people meeting in a pub or in a restaurant. Might be that pubs that offer food and table service can still open?
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

iarmhiman wrote:
Shite isnt it
Kids off the toy show x( I am out
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Leinsterman wrote:
Restaurants will be delighted with that. That's where they traditionally make their margin
True , often 75% + GP on wine with lower labour costs than food
CM11

Post by CM11 »

iarmhiman wrote:
Shite isnt it
Think Leo getting to go through everything was very worthwhile. I'm a bit behind so presume he's off by now but that whole segment was very informative.
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

Conspicuous wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

Death in the medium term for the Irish (& British} pub, moving to a more European set up?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

The biggest issue I've come up with for restaurants is the toilets. Biggest chance of transfer there.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Bogbunny wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

Death in the medium term for the Irish (& British} pub, moving to a more European set up?
Already started happening after the last recession. I'm at the age where I'd welcome it!
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

CM11 wrote:The biggest issue I've come up with for restaurants is the toilets. Biggest chance of transfer there.

Toilet attendant with hand wash/ sanitiser and clean down door handle/ toilets between each customer??
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

CM11 wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

Already started happening after the last recession. I'm at the age where I'd welcome it!
The licence differences between pubs and restaurants should have gone years ago.
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

CM11 wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

Yup. eating out with the family, couple of drinks rather than a session is the new norm.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

We'll the re-emergence of the blacks in the jacks
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Bogbunny wrote:
CM11 wrote:The biggest issue I've come up with for restaurants is the toilets. Biggest chance of transfer there.

Toilet attendant with hand wash/ sanitiser and clean down door handle/ toilets between each customer??
I suppose. Can't see it in the smaller restaurants, although technically easier. Tbf, I'd be happy to pay a supplement to pay for the extra cost, not that I'll be allowed out to a restaurant for a long while!!
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Take the likes of O’Donoghues or Kehoes. Pubs that make a ridiculous amount of money week in week out and their toilets are like something from Trainspotting. Miserable owners who hide behind the trad pub image by not keeping their toilets to a decent standard.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Leinsterman wrote:
Garcon, leave the winelist :lol:
themaddog

Post by themaddog »

Bogbunny wrote:Got a tee off time booked at Ardee tomorrow ;) NI citizens free to travel in ROI , thanks to agent Drew. :nod:
You'll be disappointed. :lol: They don't reopen until May 18th and it's members only. :nod:[/quote]

Mate is Past Captain, no worries.

Hoping we will get out up here in a few weeks as well.[/quote]
Ask nicely and I'll sneak you out someday.
The GUI/ILGU made a submission to both governments. I would imagine, when things ease up North, golf will be one of the first activities restored.[/quote]

Ditto and I'll return the favour[/quote]
:thumbup:
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
Garcon, leave the winelist :lol:
WE WANT THE FINEST WINES AVAILABLE TO HUMANITY!
JoeMangled

Post by JoeMangled »

A mate of mine tried ordering a pitcher in an empty your pockets with no food and was told to fück off. Think it was the one on Dame street.

I don't know if this is relevant to the current discussion, but it's the closest annicdote i have.

Remember Dame Street? Good timez.
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

CM11 wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:

I suppose. Can't see it in the smaller restaurants, although technically easier. Tbf, I'd be happy to pay a supplement to pay for the extra cost, not that I'll be allowed out to a restaurant for a long while!!
I imagine it will be along those lines. Either a hike in prices or €20 (?) cover charge per booking.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Take the likes of O’Donoghues or Kehoes. Pubs that make a ridiculous amount of money week in week out and their toilets are like something from Trainspotting. Miserable owners who hide behind the trad pub image by not keeping their toilets to a decent standard.
Agreed. I've a soft spot for Kehoes but the toilets are rank.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

CM11 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Hand sanitiser.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

camroc1 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Hand sanitiser.
Hand santiser isn't a silver bullet.

I accept that the sensible people can do a lot to avoid infection. As alluded to earlier, the number of sensible people within the four walls of a pub diminish as the night goes on.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

CM11 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Hand sanitiser.

I accept that the sensible people can do a lot to avoid infection. As alluded to earlier, the number of sensible people within the four walls of a pub diminish as the night goes on.
When pubs reopen, the HPSC will be hawk like in surveillance, and should R0 approach 1, lockdown will be reimposed.
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

CM11 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Hand sanitiser.

It's like the smoking ban.

You don't start by thinking about the customers; you start by think about the staff !

If the staff can't be safe through a normal working week; then you can't open up the premises. END OF DISCUSSION !

The Publicans can belly ache all the like; but if they can't provide a safe working environment for their staff; then there's no way they can re-open.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

fishfoodie wrote:
It's like the smoking ban.

You don't start by thinking about the customers; you start by think about the staff !

If the staff can't be safe through a normal working week; then you can't open up the premises. END OF DISCUSSION !

The Publicans can belly ache all the like; but if they can't provide a safe working environment for their staff; then there's no way they can re-open.
Good point.