Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
Boxcar Ira

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Boxcar Ira »

I also made the mistake of shopping in Donnybrook Fair because it was quieter. I will struggle to go back to Aldi.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

Duff Paddy wrote:Night market is owned by the old manager from Diep. Before nightmarket he owned Koh on DNS.
I have eaten from there a few times since lockdown. I agree - it's not much better while being twice the price.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
CM11 wrote:I presume it's a lot online.

I suppose it could be a temporary boost as everyone piles into the garden, hardware and clothing stores to buy stuff that might have been spread out more evenly.
Heavy investment in my gut has replaced more traditional spend.
Ditto. I had great aspirations to be in tip top shape after all the restrictions eased and be firing on all cylinders and be in the best condition of my life.
The reality was more along the lines of "fcuk it.." after the first few weeks.
Started running 5kms again at the start with the same goal. I'm still running them but my times are getting slower by the week. It's seriously led me to believe I had a mild dose of the voirus and my lungs are shot.
Just running 5k as fast as you can each time doesn’t do much for improving your running. You need to mix long slow runs, intervals, tempo runs and hill runs. A few weeks of intervals and your 5km times will improve a lot. Remember to give your body plenty of rest as running is really hard on the body.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

Cheers Duff. The rest bit I am managing quite well.

I was convinced 3 months ago I'd be doing 21 minutes by now. It doesnt get easier with age!
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Duff Paddy wrote:Night market is owned by the old manager from Diep. Before nightmarket he owned Koh on DNS.
A rugby mad Limerick man.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Boxcar Ira wrote:I also made the mistake of shopping in Donnybrook Fair because it was quieter. I will struggle to go back to Aldi.
You can’t go back can ya :lol: it’s just too depressing
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

camroc1 wrote:
A rugby mad Limerick man.
I don’t know how much rugby he’s played, his two old partners in koh played a bit
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

You can't go wrong with the price though for Lidl or Aldi.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Boxy I in the other hand am a magnificent specimen after the lockdown. Legs like a bag of walnuts and a bit of stamina for the 5k. I was ways more speed than stamina until recently or so this missus tells me
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Boxcar Ira wrote:Cheers Duff. The rest bit I am managing quite well.

I was convinced 3 months ago I'd be doing 21 minutes by now. It doesnt get easier with age!
My group of friends most are comfortably sub 20minutes for 5k it’s really sickening.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

EverReady wrote:Boxy I in the other hand am a magnificent specimen after the lockdown. Legs like a bag of walnuts and a bit of stamina for the 5k. I was ways more speed than stamina until recently or so this missus tells me
Post-lockdown, I have the tautness of a bag of marshmallows listing and sweating under the midday sun.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

We're using Dunnes Stores as methadone. Weaning off Donnybrook Fair. Dunnes is actually good price wise.

My little snob kids know the difference between DF and Aldi meat now. They wont eat Aldi anymore.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

You know you want one...........

iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

camroc1 wrote:You know you want one...........

There you go Duff. Wear one of those.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Duff Paddy wrote:

My group of friends most are comfortably sub 20minutes for 5k it’s really sickening.
A guy I used to work with posted 16:30 last week. :uhoh:

I can't get better than 24, and my ankle is giving me shit now every time I run. Aches for a couple of days afterwards.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

Nolanator wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

I can't get better than 24, and my ankle is giving me shit now every time I run. Aches for a couple of days afterwards.
With their spindly little arms and legs :x
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

FFS, I'm still trying to get below 22mins although I was more interested in increasing distance rather than flat-out speed.
Had to put the brakes on a few weeks though because something has flared up and will require minor surgery probably.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

With their spindly little arms and legs :x
TBF, I probably weigh a good 20kg more than him, and he does a daft cycle to work sometimes. Like 2 hours.
I'm stronger, but I can't brag about that on Strava.

Also, this guy is still.only 25 or so, so I'm counting that in my favour. Not that I've ever been remotely good at running, at any age.
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

I got as low as 20.11 and then I had a child. Really irritated that I never managed sub 20 and now never will.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

alliswell wrote:I got as low as 20.11 and then I had a child. Really irritated that I never managed sub 20 and now never will.
Did you find it hard to lose the pregnancy weight?
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

alliswell wrote:I got as low as 20.11 and then I had a child. Really irritated that I never managed sub 20 and now never will.
Just wait until the kid(s) are older and you can do your own selfish stuff. My dad is 61 and runs sub-20.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

FFS.

Sprint, score try/pass/get tackled, fix hair, wait for forwards to win the ball, rinse and repeat.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Flametop wrote:FFS.

Sprint, score try/pass/get tackled, fix hair, wait for forwards to win the ball after I've dropped it, rinse and repeat.
Fixed
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Nolanator wrote:
Flametop wrote:FFS.

Sprint, score try/pass/get tackled, fix hair, wait for forwards to win the ball after I've dropped it, rinse and repeat.
Fixed
:lol:

It’s good to keep the piano shifters involved.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

There were many reasons for his view, he said, but chief among them were “very disappointing” commitments on the Irish language and the lack of mention of the islands.
This is what O'Cuiv might potentially scupper a new government for? :roll: edit: I know it's not just or even that but it is what he's saying outwardly.

It's not that I don't get they're important to him and worth fighting for but not exactly priorities right now.

FG (and FF?) also courting Independents. I wonder will they get enough to weather a Green rejection?
nardol

Post by nardol »

CM11 wrote:
There were many reasons for his view, he said, but chief among them were “very disappointing” commitments on the Irish language and the lack of mention of the islands.
This is what O'Cuiv might potentially scupper a new government for? :roll: edit: I know it's not just or even that but it is what he's saying outwardly.

It's not that I don't get they're important to him and worth fighting for but not exactly priorities right now.

FG (and FF?) also courting Independents. I wonder will they get enough to weather a Green rejection?
Dev never made sense either
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Boxcar Ira wrote:We're using Dunnes Stores as methadone. Weaning off Donnybrook Fair. Dunnes is actually good price wise.

My little snob kids know the difference between DF and Aldi meat now. They wont eat Aldi anymore.
Yeah I like Dunnes. I tried Lidl and Aldi but their fresh fruit and veg is just too poor. I still pick up some stuff there maybe once a month. Dunnes fruit and veg is good but they have you locked in with that €10 off €50 scheme
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Leinsterman wrote:
Did you find it hard to lose the pregnancy weight?
:lol:
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:We're using Dunnes Stores as methadone. Weaning off Donnybrook Fair. Dunnes is actually good price wise.

Yeah I like Dunnes. I tried Lidl and Aldi but their fresh fruit and veg is just too poor. I still pick up some stuff there maybe once a month. Dunnes fruit and veg is good but they have you locked in with that €10 off €50 scheme
Dunnes is great, but you're right about the voucher. I technically 'save' a few k a year using it but I haven't analysed it enough to know exactly how much I save at all. Anyway, they had me hooked either way once they got Sheridans.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/202 ... -covid-19/

This is the type of thing that lends credence to not initially just living with the virus. Hopefully it proves to be as effective with wider use.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

That’s actually very interesting - Dex is what they give to high altitude mountain climbers suffering from High Altitude Pulmonary OEdema (HAPE)
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

CM11 wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
CM11 wrote:I presume it's a lot online.

I suppose it could be a temporary boost as everyone piles into the garden, hardware and clothing stores to buy stuff that might have been spread out more evenly.
Heavy investment in my gut has replaced more traditional spend.
Ditto. I had great aspirations to be in tip top shape after all the restrictions eased and be firing on all cylinders and be in the best condition of my life.
The reality was more along the lines of "fcuk it.." after the first few weeks.
I was already creeping up weight wise before covid. It's been a disaster since it started! :blush:

Does extra food/drink at home balance out restaurants, pubs and daily expenses when out and about though?
When you order your wine online it does. :blush:
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

O Cuiv wanted the FF coalition with the shinners. He's about as anti FG as it gets in the FF ranks.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

I'm posting 23 mins now after only a few months. I am like Marcus O'Sullivan with a faint bang of beer of him. The longer distances appeal alright. Did my first 10k recently and I never thought my knees could hold up so we'll see how far I can push it before I go back to stodgy like Zappa. As a few of you note I also have friends posting stupid times. I had a good one the other day where a good mate did 30km and for the first 12 he was doing 6km minutes and then sped up to about 4 for the last 18. I asked 'is that the trick? Going really slow at the start?' He said 'nah I was running with the missus then and she went home after the 12'. I felt small. Small willied
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Nolanator wrote:
Just wait until the kid(s) are older and you can do your own selfish stuff. My dad is 61 and runs sub-20.
Yeah I am thinking I can get to 20. Not definite but hopeful
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

My cousin is a freak and did 7 consecutive weeks of minimum 10km a day during lockdown, after he'd recovered from Covid.
I think he did a couple of half marathons in there. I've also seen him do the same thing where he does a slow run with his missus, and then goes and does a daft time by himself.

I've hit sub-24 5km twice since Parkruns finished.
I've never done 10, 8 is the most. Just don't fancy it and my legs from the knees down don't enjoy it.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

I wouldn't usually bother with Dunnes. I don't think the range in the likes of Dunnes in Blanch is anywhere as good as Super Valu in Lucan (granted, Super Valu in Lucan used to be Superquinn and they've tried to keep it as high-end as possible over the years).
Sheridans have really expanded their reach. The local F&V stocks a selection of their cheeses. Also try to get steaks etc in the local butcher because he sources his own and also makes his own sausages and pudding.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Boxcar Ira wrote:I dont think anyone can see this government lasting too long. Hence everyoone dragging their feet. It will be a car crash.
Interesting, that was said of the Lib-Con coalition in 2010 but it ended up more stable than the next one. The question is will one party be blamed? I mean coalition government usually have the junior partner take a massive hit. This is more of a grand coalition so the outcome will be different.

Quick question to the Irish here, will SF continue to grow in popularity?
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Nolanator wrote:My cousin is a freak and did 7 consecutive weeks of minimum 10km a day during lockdown, after he'd recovered from Covid.
I think he did a couple of half marathons in there. I've also seen him do the same thing where he does a slow run with his missus, and then goes and does a daft time by himself.

I've hit sub-24 5km twice since Parkruns finished.
I've never done 10, 8 is the most. Just don't fancy it and my legs from the knees down don't enjoy it.
I am pretty light these days and do loads of the physio exercises for my knees and core. Think I mentioned it to you before but I really stick with them now and it made all the difference
CM11

Post by CM11 »

I can see how a former large Superquinn would still be very good. Used to predominantly shop in the one on Sundrive when living near there and kept on going when we moved until Dunnes redid their store (the old one was depressing). I still miss the bar code guns though!