Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
Stevus55

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Stevus55 »

Yep, specifically Jacksonville Beach but I gather it’s a similar story through the whole city

Cases surging all through the US again, it’s a mess over here.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: I mean, where they come up with €9 minimum for food and 90 minutes. Is the €9 the price point that the virus stays away from and we multiply that by 10 to get to 90 minutes, the real gamechanger against the virus? It's funny really. I agree this will go out the window quickly but you stop being so serious about everything being rational.
That has been in place for years as a condition of a restaurant license and is obviously to stop people serving a bag of crisps and claiming it's a substantial meal. It's not something that was decided as a condition of re-opening. It is absolutely nothing to do with the virus.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2003 ... e/en/print
Last edited by danthefan on Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

danthefan wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote: I mean, where they come up with €9 minimum
That has been in place for years as a condition of a restaurant license and is obviously to stop people serving a bag of crisps and claiming it's a meal. It's not something that was decided as a condition of re-opening.
Beautiful
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

Stevus55 wrote:Speaking of pubs, bars here were allowed open a couple weeks back. Had about 7 in my area close down again this week, officially for ‘deep cleaning and to allow for staff testing’, in reality a load of staff and patrons tested positive.

One woman apparently went to a bar with 15 of her friends to celebrate the end of lockdown and all caught covid :lol:
I read that Lynch's was one of the bars that's been closed - that's where we base ourselves each year for post-Players pints.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

danthefan wrote:
That has been in place for years as a condition of a restaurant license and is obviously to stop people serving a bag of crisps and claiming it's a meal. It's not something that was decided as a condition of re-opening.
Where is that value detailed? Is it not the Intoxicating Liquor Act 1962, which calls for something substantial? I don't know anywhere that stipulates a cost but I could be wrong.

In terms of the rationale though....what is it?
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Where is that value detailed? Is it not the Intoxicating Liquor Act 1962, which calls for something substantial? I don't know anywhere that stipulates a cost but I could be wrong.

Link above.
3. The sum of €9.00 is fixed for the purposes of section 9 (1) of the Intoxicating Liquor Act 1962 .
Nada, zip, nothing to do with the virus.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Mullet 2 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Beautiful
It's not though as it penalises smaller bars. You know the ones we like
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Kerry not standing for it anyway. Good man Mick

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... -1.4281338
Blackrock Bullet

danthefan wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Link above.
3. The sum of €9.00 is fixed for the purposes of section 9 (1) of the Intoxicating Liquor Act 1962 .
Cheers, wrong I was. :thumbup:
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Stevus55 wrote:Yep, specifically Jacksonville Beach but I gather it’s a similar story through the whole city

yup, looks like it, battleground states for November particularly featuring ....even Texas which is getting badly hit with a second wave is apparently tied
Blackrock Bullet

EverReady wrote:Kerry not standing for it anyway. Good man Mick

Not the worst argument from him, looking to be Ireland's NZ.
Blackrock Bullet

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
Stevus55 wrote:Yep, specifically Jacksonville Beach but I gather it’s a similar story through the whole city

yup, looks like it, battleground states for November particularly featuring ....even Texas which is getting badly hit with a second wave is apparently tied
Realistically it's their first wave still. A lot of rural areas weren't hit at all in March/April.
ticketlessinseattle

EverReady wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Beautiful
how is 2 pints of Guinness not a substantial meal ?
ticketlessinseattle

Blackrock Bullet wrote:

Mike Quirke the Kerry footballer was talking on 2nd captains podcast about the GAA return to play and that Kerry hadn't had a case in 25 days or something......then again with everyone descending on the place for staycations that could change quickly ....they were talking about an all Ireland final the week before Christmas !
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

EverReady wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Beautiful
how is 2 pints of Guinness not a substantial meal ?
EXACTLY!!!!
Blackrock Bullet

danthefan wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Link above.
Curious on this, reading elsewhere that FI are saying it's €9 in today's money but the 2003 Instrument specifically says €9. €9 from then would be a good bit more than that today, goes to show the silliness of some licencing laws. Like the nightclubs having to serve curry and chips until the late 90s!

Blackrock Bullet

Blackrock Bullet wrote:

Mike Quirke the Kerry footballer was talking on 2nd captains podcast about the GAA return to play and that Kerry hadn't had a case in 25 days or something......then again with everyone descending on the place for staycations that could change quickly ....they were talking about an all Ireland final the week before Christmas !
I suppose you could argue for it now though, rather than two weeks time.

Of course Holohan said regional restrictions were pointless, except for limiting travel of course which he forgot about. :D
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

What’s Jacksonville beach like? Trying to decide between there, st augustin or Naples for holidays next year
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

EverReady wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Beautiful
You're getting hysterical again

The beautiful part is the lawyer getting law served
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:

As someone who has Kerry booked for later this year I wholeheartedly endorse this cute hoor culchie gobshite
Stevus55

Post by Stevus55 »

Duff Paddy wrote:What’s Jacksonville beach like? Trying to decide between there, st augustin or Naples for holidays next year
Depends what you’re looking for, beaches are great, golf is great and some nice hotels. Jacksonville beach itself is a bit temple bar-ish so would look to stay somewhere else in the vicinity. St Augustine is nice but more in a day trip type of way. Never been to Naples.

Worth bearing in mind that that couple mile a trip of coast is technically 4 different cities so options north and south of Jacksonville beach.
ticketlessinseattle

Duff Paddy wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:

As someone who has Kerry booked for later this year I wholeheartedly endorse this cute hoor culchie gobshite
looking at booking a holiday cottage in Kenmare for 1st or 2nd week in July or else possibly Kinvara ...or anywhere I can get a booking tbh
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Stevus55 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:What’s Jacksonville beach like? Trying to decide between there, st augustin or Naples for holidays next year
Depends what you’re looking for, beaches are great, golf is great and some nice hotels. Jacksonville beach itself is a bit temple bar-ish so would look to stay somewhere else in the vicinity. St Augustine is nice but more in a day trip type of way. Never been to Naples.

Worth bearing in mind that that couple mile a trip of coast is technically 4 different cities so options north and south of Jacksonville beach.
Cheers. We usually go to Tampa but wanted to try somewhere new. Might book Jacksonville - just looking for the usual beach holiday with lots of eating and drinking
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Stevus55 wrote:

Don't forget the massively white demographics!
ticketlessinseattle

Stevus55 wrote:

Duff, considered the Keys/Key West ?
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:

looking at booking a holiday cottage in Kenmare for 1st or 2nd week in July or else possibly Kinvara ...or anywhere I can get a booking tbh
Get booking ASAP I’d say. I took a punt on some flights later in the year for a short break but main holiday for most will be a staycation this year I’d say. Anywhere around Killarne or Kenmare is savage
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Stevus55 wrote:

Duff, considered the Keys/Key West ?
Never done the keys - seems very pricey for next year based on the places we checked
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

That reminds me, we've a wedding in Kenamre just after Christmas. Need to book accommodation for that.
Blackrock Bullet

Mullet 2 wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Beautiful
You're getting hysterical again

The beautiful part is the lawyer getting law served
The law ain't medical advice though, as you helpfully have said over and over, or do you think Michael McDowell set the €9 in 2003 in anticipation of this?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

The medical advice is places that serve food can open. The €9 then defines what constitutes a place that serves food.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

CM11 wrote:The medical advice is places that serve food can open. The €9 then defines what constitutes a place that serves food.
Medical advice my hoop. Absolute bullshit and the exact reason you will have to bring your kids into school in a staggered fashion between 9 and 11.45 and collect them between 12 and 2
Blackrock Bullet

EverReady wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Beautiful
Logic went out the window with some of the lads a while ago, nothing should be questioned...

Was on a group message with a pal who manages a large place in Dublin. They spent a fortune on it not too long ago and the originally nonsensical suggestions by the Government to not allow any pubs to reopen would have closed them down permanently as they simply could not pay their rent. The whole advice around this has been a shambles. It took weeks to arrive. Nobody knows what is actually proposed, is the substantial meal allowed for one person or more? Places are talking about just charging out for one and giving discount promos back. Everywhere is looking at this and it's no surprise.

I really don't understand why some simple messages based on science, minimal business duties and personal responsibility/risk couldn't apply? Restrict % of each venue. Advise on social distancing. Tell pubs to know who is there and who isn't for contact tracing purposes. Let people be adults.

Instead we have this convoluted advice that is seemingly trying to nudge behaviours but could have the opposite impact. I see the Covid pub crawl is already going around.

The one positive that retailers and the service industry are talking about is allowing outdoor seating and waving licence requirements for a bit, a good positive initiative.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

EverReady wrote:
CM11 wrote:The medical advice is places that serve food can open. The €9 then defines what constitutes a place that serves food.
Medical advice my hoop. Absolute bullshit and the exact reason you will have to bring your kids into school in a staggered fashion between 9 and 11.45 and collect them between 12 and 2
Public health as opposed to medical advice, if you want.

I really don't understand why people are kicking and screaming constantly. Pubs are opening early because they petitioned to do so and this is the compromise. No one is forcing them to open. Schools (well DoE) are dancing around the reopening because they're waiting for cases and public sentiment to force the issue so it'll be easier to deal with the unions.

We are reopening and will continue to do so. The travel ban being lifted and the pubs/restaurants allowed reduce distance will be massive for tourist spots, particularly during the day, where people rarely stay for 90 mins.

They categorically don't want the return of pubs as we know them. If they had their way, they wouldn't reopen this year. It is the single most likely area that will start a new outbreak.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Stevus55 wrote:

Cheers. We usually go to Tampa but wanted to try somewhere new. Might book Jacksonville - just looking for the usual beach holiday with lots of eating and drinking
We stayed in St Augustine for Christmas last year and had a terrific time but agree with Stevus that's it's probably better suited to a day trip. Jacksonvile Beach is ace don't think it's ideal for a family vacation. Naples is gorgeous and further up the food chain - very wealthy area. The Keys would be my pick for a family vacation but agree it can be expensive.

If you have a car rental I'd recommend Mount Dora for a night or two if you're in the area - probably my favourite spot in Florida.
Blackrock Bullet

EverReady wrote:
There is no discussing with Statto on anything.

Originally not having kids back to school in June was good because "we don't know everything, a few children have got sick in NYC from the side effects"! Then it was that kids don't do anything in June anyway, I suppose his tune changed there when he realised that not every child lives in south Dublin and have parents willing to spending time educating them. Now it's according to the below;
CM11 wrote:https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politic ... 2?mode=amp

And this is why they have to go slowly with pushing for full reopening of the schools until the public sentiment is strong enough to put the unions on the back foot.
It's always a grand plan by FG and the experts, the reasons shift but there's always stuff in the background that we don't know about. It's rather ironic that he posts an opinion poll - rather than the science we know on this. It's all scientific and medically backed when it suits him, political otherwise.

On pubs, when I called out the nonsensical idea when these phases were announced that smaller restaurants could open whilst larger pubs couldn't, apparently there was some rationale on that. Now we have lads twisting that a 2003 law on €9 is medical led. It is in it's hoop.

Just give some simple and scientifically led advice and regulations on things instead of convoluted nonsense that will likely be counterproductive.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

I think you just have to go with it lads. The people making the decisions are making the decions. You'll have a stroke if you keep getting flustered by every little detail.

I look at all these measures as guidelines to encourage people to have some cop-on. As much as I didnt take 2 metre distancing literally or not driving more than 5km literally, I knew it was a guideline to stay away from people as much as possible and stay at home as much as possible.

This guideline is to use the pubs in small doses
CM11

Post by CM11 »

You're becoming a parody of yourself BB.

When the kawasaki type illness first hit, I advised caution yes, and noted your lack of giving a fúck.

When it became more clear that it wasn't a big issue that would be a factor, I dropped it. You know because health officials can only make decisions based on available data and not their gut or lack of giving a fcuk.

From the beginning of May since it was clear that we had started to get things under control I suggested it might be nice to get the kids in for a bit of June.

From around the middle of May I have been saying the picture would look different in the middle of June and the government would be looking to open the schools as normal.

At no stage did I say that they shouldn't go back in June because they don't do much.
The kids do very little in June anyway. Joking aside, the government should ask parents to apply for emergency childcare, like in South Korea, and then based on demand they can open up schools with rotating staff essentially minding the kids as opposed to teaching them.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Boxcar Ira wrote:I think you just have to go with it lads. The people making the decisions are making the decions. You'll have a stroke if you keep getting flustered by every little detail.

I look at all these measures as guidelines to encourage people to have some cop-on. As much as I didnt take 2 metre distancing literally or not driving more than 5km literally, I knew it was a guideline to stay away from people as much as possible and stay at home as much as possible.

This guideline is to use the pubs in small doses
:thumbup:
Blackrock Bullet

Hard to disagree

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status ... 69184?s=20

"Some of the stuff in it looks completely made up... Totally unworkable."

Pubs react to the draft guidelines for reopening on the 29th of June.

Substantial €9 meals, mandatory reservations and 90 minute time-limts on the cards.
https://twitter.com/newschambers/status ... 45504?s=20
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Of course it's made up and vague. They don't want the pubs open. It's the single biggest risk and they're only reconsidering because of lobbying.