Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
danthefan

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by danthefan »

The wife is a HCW and she'd laugh in your face if you put it to her that poor HCWs were forced in to work sick/contagious for fear of not getting paid.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

anonymous_joe wrote:
CM11 wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
CM11 wrote:I see the nurses union have been trying to shift the blame off the nurses who went to work with covid symptoms onto, well, everyone else including the government for the way pay is arranged.

It's not that I don't have sympathy with the loss of income that would have otherwise been earned but sorry, there's no excuse for going into a healthcare setting with covid, ffs.
IMO is the doctors.

INMO is the nurses.

AFAIK.
I'm trying to find the article now. It may be more healthcare workers rather than nurses although I thought I saw both mentioned. Siptu involved anyway. Nothing to do with doctors.

Edit, ah, I see your IMO point now. OK, just as bad. Sorry, looks like it's not nurses specifically mentioned.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... 6?mode=amp
The INMO are probably the dodgiest of all the groups involved, but tbh, all the unions are lying bastards, as are the HSE.
The job of the unions is to represent their members. That’s fair enough. The problem is the media often have union reps on as if these guys are impartial observers of the healthcare system with no agenda, and give them a very soft interview. The healthcare system being quite good is not news. It has to be a crisis or a scandal to make it newsworthy. The HSE are most certainly not “lying bastards”, that is a ridiculous claim to make.
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

There are 6 intractable problems with the health service In Ireland ...... and none of them are related to funding or management capability within the system

The unions are greedy lying pricks
The lawyers are greedy disingenuous pricks
The government politicians are cowardly pricks
The opposition politicians are populist lying pricks
The Irish public are perpetually outraged entitled pricks
The Irish media are useless pricks unable to call out any of the vested interests above
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Duff Paddy wrote: The job of the unions is to represent their members. That’s fair enough. The problem is the media often have union reps on as if these guys are impartial observers of the healthcare system with no agenda, and give them a very soft interview. The healthcare system being quite good is not news. It has to be a crisis or a scandal to make it newsworthy. The HSE are most certainly not “lying bastards”, that is a ridiculous claim to make.
Recent example, the 'SCANDAL!!!' of Irish HCW apparently having the highest infection rates in the world. A totally unprovable and almost certainly bullshit claim that came from yer wan who is head of the INMO and got blanket media coverage.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

I had a woman go berserk at me at a FF thing once because I said "We don't have a third world health service, once you're past A&E it's pretty good.

Lost her reason :lol:
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

danthefan wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote: The job of the unions is to represent their members. That’s fair enough. The problem is the media often have union reps on as if these guys are impartial observers of the healthcare system with no agenda, and give them a very soft interview. The healthcare system being quite good is not news. It has to be a crisis or a scandal to make it newsworthy. The HSE are most certainly not “lying bastards”, that is a ridiculous claim to make.
Recent example, the 'SCANDAL!!!' of Irish HCW apparently having the highest infection rates in the world. A totally unprovable and almost certainly bullshit claim that came from yer wan who is head of the INMO and got blanket media coverage.
It was quickly shown to be false, as the Irish figures related to anyone and everyone who worked in the HSE from kitchen porters to management pen pushers, and the figures she was comparing to were for medical personnel (ie doctors and nurses) only. In fairness the msm were quick enough to point that out, and it probably backfired on her.

Just as the notion that hospital workers deliberately infected others because of money concerns should backfire on Siptu.

The big problem for the unions is that our hospital system was, by and large, shown to work effectively when the chips were down. Which contradicts the story they've been peddling at least since the McSharry cuts of the late 80's; that is getting on for the last 35 years.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Mullet 2 wrote:I had a woman go berserk at me at a FF thing once because I said "We don't have a third world health service, once you're past A&E it's pretty good.

Daft bint has probably never left Dublin. You'd wonder how some of these people would cope if they saw what things are like in an actual third world country.
Liathroidigloine

Post by Liathroidigloine »

danthefan wrote:
Leinster in London wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:
CM11 wrote:No shows for restaurants at the moment is shocking bevaviour. Absolutely has to be some sort of booking fee.
It's shocking behavior anytime tbf.
Will I get served if I call to the door?

No, you must have a booking.

But I haven't made my mind up yet, and I'm trying to finalise numbers?

You must have a booking.

Ok then, table for 4.

Serves them right.
What the fudge are you on about? What an absolutely bizarre thing to say.
Is this the lad who was telling us about going for a load of pints in different pubs on Paddys Day?
Liathroidigloine

Post by Liathroidigloine »

Duff Paddy wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
CM11 wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
CM11 wrote:I see the nurses union have been trying to shift the blame off the nurses who went to work with covid symptoms onto, well, everyone else including the government for the way pay is arranged.

It's not that I don't have sympathy with the loss of income that would have otherwise been earned but sorry, there's no excuse for going into a healthcare setting with covid, ffs.
IMO is the doctors.

INMO is the nurses.

AFAIK.
I'm trying to find the article now. It may be more healthcare workers rather than nurses although I thought I saw both mentioned. Siptu involved anyway. Nothing to do with doctors.

Edit, ah, I see your IMO point now. OK, just as bad. Sorry, looks like it's not nurses specifically mentioned.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... 6?mode=amp
The INMO are probably the dodgiest of all the groups involved, but tbh, all the unions are lying bastards, as are the HSE.
The job of the unions is to represent their members. That’s fair enough. The problem is the media often have union reps on as if these guys are impartial observers of the healthcare system with no agenda, and give them a very soft interview. The healthcare system being quite good is not news. It has to be a crisis or a scandal to make it newsworthy. The HSE are most certainly not “lying bastards”, that is a ridiculous claim to make.
Local media reports yesterday "Two local hospitals report overcrowding issues" Read the report and it was the usual INMO Monday morning report before the admissions happen. It highlights how poor our journalism has become in 20 years and why it's not to be trusted.
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

CM11 wrote:No shows for restaurants at the moment is shocking bevaviour. Absolutely has to be some sort of booking fee.
had dinner at Volpe Nero (recommend it) d'other night and was talking to owner about it, what kind of arsehole doesn't call to cancel ? agree on booking fee
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

danthefan wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:I had a woman go berserk at me at a FF thing once because I said "We don't have a third world health service, once you're past A&E it's pretty good.

Daft bint has probably never left Dublin. You'd wonder how some of these people would cope if they saw what things are like in an actual third world country.
Limerick woman.

"Maybe things are grand up in Dublin!"

When I said "that's a start isn't it?" she went even more ballistic. :lol:
ticketlessinseattle

CM11 wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:
Absolutely. I rarely, if ever, book two places let alone don't call up if I can't make the one I booked. It isn't always as fatal as it currently is tough.
why would you ever book 2 places ?
HighKingLeinster

Post by HighKingLeinster »

Mullet 2 wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Limerick woman.

"Maybe things are grand up in Dublin!"

When I said "that's a start isn't it?" she went even more ballistic. :lol:
should have given her a nice calming pat on the arse
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:
Absolutely. I rarely, if ever, book two places let alone don't call up if I can't make the one I booked. It isn't always as fatal as it currently is tough.

Area in a pub followed by a restaurant? More of a bird thing tbf
CM11

Post by CM11 »

CM11 wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:
People do it all the time to keep their options open. Then they just go to one and don't bother canceling the other. I get stressed enough when my group are dallying in the pub and we're going to be late for our booked time.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

https://www.thejournal.ie/inmo-nurses-o ... 8-Jul2020/

We're understaffed when it comes to nurses now apparently, despite being well above the OECD per capita average.

Obviously you don't want anyone at risk going to work if you can avoid, healthcare staff have done an incredible job through this, but again it's just the printing of basically an anecdote and an INMO press release.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

rfurlong wrote:Ireland is now the smart arse prick in the class who thinks they know more than the teacher.

Rather than knuckling down, shutting the fvck up, and resorting to the text book for the full answer, they are insisting on asking a million stupid questions in the hope of catching the teacher out, so they can look cool in front of the class.

Back in my day that prick would get a slap off an exasperated teacher, who’s trying to do their best with a mixed ability classroom.

Yeah the teacher might have a relatively poor grasp on the subject matter and yeah he/she might be a bad communicator, but the prick asking all the stupid/Smart arse questions is and will always remain the bigger problem

“Waaaaah, it’s not clear and obvious sir ..... I demand to be spoon fed rather than use my initiative ..... I can see you don’t quite believe the logic of what you’re teaching sir, waaaah”

“Shut the fvck up fionnan, I have 30 kids to get through the exam, so just wash your hands and stay away from planes you little bollix”
I'd say there will be books written about this shit after it all ends. How the subserviant Asians did what they were told and minimised the disruption while inquisitive westerners wouldnt be told what to do. It's interesting how a society works as a collective rather than as individuals. Well, will be interesting to look back on at least.
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

Boxcar Ira wrote:
rfurlong wrote:Ireland is now the smart arse prick in the class who thinks they know more than the teacher.

Rather than knuckling down, shutting the fvck up, and resorting to the text book for the full answer, they are insisting on asking a million stupid questions in the hope of catching the teacher out, so they can look cool in front of the class.

Back in my day that prick would get a slap off an exasperated teacher, who’s trying to do their best with a mixed ability classroom.

Yeah the teacher might have a relatively poor grasp on the subject matter and yeah he/she might be a bad communicator, but the prick asking all the stupid/Smart arse questions is and will always remain the bigger problem

“Waaaaah, it’s not clear and obvious sir ..... I demand to be spoon fed rather than use my initiative ..... I can see you don’t quite believe the logic of what you’re teaching sir, waaaah”

“Shut the fvck up fionnan, I have 30 kids to get through the exam, so just wash your hands and stay away from planes you little bollix”
I'd say there will be books written about this shit after it all ends. How the subserviant Asians did what they were told and minimised the disruption while inquisitive westerners wouldnt be told what to do. It's interesting how a society works as a collective rather than as individuals. Well, will be interesting to look back on at least.
yep - Ireland is becoming increasingly ungovernable
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Round of layoffs at LinkedIn including in Dublin. They were set for a massive expansion here, have taken a load more space and have a new building under construction. Wonder what the future looks like there now.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

danthefan wrote:The wife is a HCW and she'd laugh in your face if you put it to her that poor HCWs were forced in to work sick/contagious for fear of not getting paid.
Could see it happening in Nursing homes the way it did in the UK.
ticketlessinseattle

CM11 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:
People do it all the time to keep their options open. Then they just go to one and don't bother canceling the other. I get stressed enough when my group are dallying in the pub and we're going to be late for our booked time.
well, there's the problem right there
ticketlessinseattle

danthefan wrote:Round of layoffs at LinkedIn including in Dublin. They were set for a massive expansion here, have taken a load more space and have a new building under construction. Wonder what the future looks like there now.
fcuk, that's not good
sewa

Post by sewa »

About 35 people on the flight last night from Ams to Cork. Given it was the first flight back on that route in 3 or 4 months I predict that's probably on the high side for what they can expect. I think I read somewhere that its costs about 7 or 8 grand to run an international short distance flight. I reckon they generated about 1500 euro yesterday.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

The problem I have outlined is the problem 🤔

No shit Sherlock!
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

I’ve never quite understood the LinkedIn business model

And whoever in Microsoft is responsible for buying LinkedIn, Nokia and Skype over the last few years must have pictures of the board of directors, to be still in a job ....
sewa

Post by sewa »

rfurlong wrote:I’ve never quite understood the LinkedIn business model

And whoever in Microsoft is responsible for buying LinkedIn, Nokia and Skype over the last few years must have pictures of the board of directors, to be still in a job ....
Linkedin Premium and ads make them plenty of cash, Skype also generate money from selling credits and VOIP services and more recently MS Teams.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Skype mustn't be spending too much on their VoIP as it's awful quality.

TLS over public internet does't guarantee good quality of service.
ticketlessinseattle

CM11 wrote:

No shit Sherlock!
yes, but you only contribute to the problem rarely
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

rfurlong wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:

yep - Ireland is becoming increasingly ungovernable

What!?!?! Irish people have just suppressed a very contiguous virus through good community spirit, civic duty and all round soundness for the vast majority outside of 1% of some crazy loons.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

CM11 wrote:

No shit Sherlock!
yes, but you only contribute to the problem rarely
Eh no. I never contribute to the problem. If I ever book two places, it's well in advance and I cancel well in advance too. I would never have two places booked on the day of to keep options open.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Different CEOs.
Blackrock Bullet

sewa wrote:About 35 people on the flight last night from Ams to Cork. Given it was the first flight back on that route in 3 or 4 months I predict that's probably on the high side for what they can expect. I think I read somewhere that its costs about 7 or 8 grand to run an international short distance flight. I reckon they generated about 1500 euro yesterday.
We'll be lucky to have an airline industry left in a year. At least Ireland is a tiny fish in all of this, dithering about green lists.
Blackrock Bullet

danthefan wrote:Round of layoffs at LinkedIn including in Dublin. They were set for a massive expansion here, have taken a load more space and have a new building under construction. Wonder what the future looks like there now.
Hopefully by the time it is completed that things have turned around. That won't be completed before 2022.

LinkedIn should hopefully be an outlier in the tech space. They saved us during the last recession and we'll need them again.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Job postings, LinkedIn recruiter, ads, etc. It's all enterprise stuff. They do billions in sales annually.
goose81

Post by goose81 »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Hopefully by the time it is completed that things have turned around. That won't be completed before 2022.

LinkedIn should hopefully be an outlier in the tech space. They saved us during the last recession and we'll need them again.
:?
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

sewa wrote:About 35 people on the flight last night from Ams to Cork. Given it was the first flight back on that route in 3 or 4 months I predict that's probably on the high side for what they can expect. I think I read somewhere that its costs about 7 or 8 grand to run an international short distance flight. I reckon they generated about 1500 euro yesterday.
I think they carry freight
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Just looking at the increase in testing, presumably as a result of both increased contacts and the double testing of those contacts, and our biggest problem if cases continue to increase is testing capacity. We're not at it yet (although some days have nearly hit capacity at the test centres) but we've doubled the numbers of tests in the last three weeks and it doesn't won't take a lot more for that to double again.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

I have to leave this EU summit

Sorry but a couple of dickheads want a list of countries that we don’t want them to travel to so craving up 750 billion is chicken feed

Jooooeeeee Duffy
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Varadkar has confirmed the initial idea around the green list was to give countries it was OK to travel to, with no advice for only essential travel for those countries.
HighKingLeinster

Post by HighKingLeinster »

fcuk, that's not good
could be Microsoft merging them into the mothership and getting rid of duplicate back office roles like they did with Nokia