Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
rfurlong

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by rfurlong »

anonymous_joe wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:I know it's not the time but no mention on the Indo website of the Morrissey judgement. Basically, Supreme court found that state shouldn't have paid Mr. Morrissey damages but they are paid and won't be recouped.

It's a hugely important ruling
That's a somewhat odd take on it.

Which paragraph do you think makes that finding?
I’m shocked, shocked I tells ya .... :lol:

I’ll bow to your superior knowledge of the legal process, but it appears to me that the court just reduced the €2.1m award by over €1.7m?

It will make no difference to the Morrissey family as the state has previously promised to stand over the €2.1m payout, but presumably it sets a precedent for other cervical scan related damages cases ?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/202 ... s-ireland/

Martin very confident about schools. He does mention exceptions so presumably referring to ER's school. :|
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

Only a month away. GOing to be really weird going back to normal :lol:
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Boxcar Ira wrote:Only a month away. GOing to be really weird going back to normal :lol:
Weird and wonderful. Oh so wonderful!
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

:lol:

(I love them really)
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Boxcar Ira wrote::lol:

(I love them really)
Ah yeah. Just not all at once. For 5 months. With nothing to do.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Over the last 14 days, 272 new confirmed cases of the disease were notified to NPHET, while 183 people were infected over that period giving an infection rate of 3.8 for every 100,000 people.
Is this just using the average incubation period or what? How can they know for sure?
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Mine are in a camp for 5 days next week. I'm absolutely over the moon (for them of course).

I'm off on Monday and one of my colleagues asked me what I would do with all that free time. My answer "clean the shit-tip of a house" :lol:
It's resembled Stalingrad early 1943 for the last while
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Yeah, 1 camp coming up in a few weeks, not all of them but enough to make a big difference. Cannot wait.
Liathroidigloine

Post by Liathroidigloine »

EverReady wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
EverReady wrote:Listening to Today FM and he noted Ronan Glynn's positivity on schools but then listed the barriers. It would be extraordinary if they could get over them in the time available. Lot of time lost over the summer unfortunately. Anyway my slightly bearish head is we also cancelled the trip abroad. The thoughts of a plane with a one year old and oul wans tutting at him walking up and down and up and down and up and down the aisle became too much for the missus. Also the disapproving looks of almost everybody. Lot of 'If I am not going on holidays fücked if I am letting you enjoy yours' vibes. Just booked four nights in a hotel in Sligo in a few weeks. Spicey as fück but sure whadda ya do.
I got a room there for the Saturday of the bank holiday for €155 per night.

As an aside, if anyone is looking for really affordable top quality country house place check this out:

http://viewmounthouse.com/reservations
Was 250 a night for the 4 but after I posted I remembered a good mate is seeing a wan involved in hotel management. Have got a family room in a hotel for 149. Much more acceptable
That's good value for August.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

Had the oldest one in a camp last week. That was great. But great for them too. Have two Cul Camps coming up in August and holiday in Cork so not too many idle days left.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

rfurlong wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:I know it's not the time but no mention on the Indo website of the Morrissey judgement. Basically, Supreme court found that state shouldn't have paid Mr. Morrissey damages but they are paid and won't be recouped.

It's a hugely important ruling
That's a somewhat odd take on it.

Which paragraph do you think makes that finding?
I’m shocked, shocked I tells ya .... :lol:

I’ll bow to your superior knowledge of the legal process, but it appears to me that the court just reduced the €2.1m award by over €1.7m?

It will make no difference to the Morrissey family as the state has previously promised to stand over the €2.1m payout, but presumably it sets a precedent for other cervical scan related damages cases ?
No they did that previously in their judgment.

This is an ancillary judgment addressing the issue of costs and whether or not the other parties should get the benefit of a finding in the original judgment.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Liathroidigloine wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
EverReady wrote:Listening to Today FM and he noted Ronan Glynn's positivity on schools but then listed the barriers. It would be extraordinary if they could get over them in the time available. Lot of time lost over the summer unfortunately. Anyway my slightly bearish head is we also cancelled the trip abroad. The thoughts of a plane with a one year old and oul wans tutting at him walking up and down and up and down and up and down the aisle became too much for the missus. Also the disapproving looks of almost everybody. Lot of 'If I am not going on holidays fücked if I am letting you enjoy yours' vibes. Just booked four nights in a hotel in Sligo in a few weeks. Spicey as fück but sure whadda ya do.
I got a room there for the Saturday of the bank holiday for €155 per night.

As an aside, if anyone is looking for really affordable top quality country house place check this out:

http://viewmounthouse.com/reservations
Was 250 a night for the 4 but after I posted I remembered a good mate is seeing a wan involved in hotel management. Have got a family room in a hotel for 149. Much more acceptable
That's good value for August.
Ah yeah. Happy out with that. Not a bad place either
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Boxcar Ira wrote:Had the oldest one in a camp last week. That was great. But great for them too. Have two Cul Camps coming up in August and holiday in Cork so not too many idle days left.
Good stuff.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

CM11 wrote:https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/202 ... s-ireland/

Martin very confident about schools. He does mention exceptions so presumably referring to ER's school. :|
The objective is the full reopening of schools. All pupils on campus, all teachers on campus," she said.
The objective for me was a life filled with hoors and coke but best laid plans.
Seriously if they pull it off I will bow down. I see no scenario where they manage it in this time frame. And Stats I don't know if you remember I would rate our school as high chance of fuller reopening because of age profile of staff but I am hearing rumblings you could trust on under lying conditions
CM11

Post by CM11 »

EverReady wrote:
CM11 wrote:https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/202 ... s-ireland/

The objective is the full reopening of schools. All pupils on campus, all teachers on campus," she said.
The objective for me was a life filled with hoors and coke but best laid plans.
Seriously if they pull it off I will bow down. I see no scenario where they manage it in this time frame. And Stats I don't know if you remember I would rate our school as high chance of fuller reopening because of age profile of staff but I am hearing rumblings you could trust on under lying conditions
Yeah, we'll just have to wait and see.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Listening to Sarah McInerney earlier.

Journalism pathetic
Kevin Doyle particularly so with nothing to add but political tattle.
Eimear Higgins for the Government piss weak. .
O'Broin allowed take over and pontificate.

It's going to be a rough few years.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

For me it started with Ray D'Arcy on Today FM years ago. When a light entertainer like him starts pontificating and having a go at the government, you know you're on to a lost cause. Pot shots at the government are de rigueur now and more to the point, defending them is not.

If SF ever got in, they'd quickly find the same.
Hobo Hooker

Post by Hobo Hooker »

Mullet 2 wrote:Listening to Sarah McInerney earlier.

Journalism pathetic

shame no one took the opportunity to ask him about his magic calculator
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Hobo Hooker wrote:

Journalism pathetic

shame no one took the opportunity to ask him about his magic calculator
Maybe he explains how it works in his best-selling book (in the Shinner bookshop)
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Just so bad from the host and Higgins

He says everybody should get their money back for flights.

Like a 5 year old would know to ask him how much will cost.

And he hasn't the answer because nobody knows. "You want the taxpayer to pay for peoples trips to New York?"

Like ffs
Premier Red

Post by Premier Red »

Pearse Doherty, I think it was, came out with another classic this morning over the staycations tax rebate when he said it didn't go far enough as 'it was of no benefit to those who don't pay tax'...... :roll:
Liathroidigloine

Post by Liathroidigloine »

Premier Red wrote:Pearse Doherty, I think it was, came out with another classic this morning over the staycations tax rebate when he said it didn't go far enough as 'it was of no benefit to those who don't pay tax'...... :roll:
We are genuinely f**ked. 20 years ago he'd have been called out on that. Now everyone expects everything for free cause they aren't told they can't have it. We need to be tougher and say fudge it, lets be responsible. There are enough voters out there with common sense. Let the looney fringe have the woke vote.
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

Yeah, I have to admit to being sceptical about whether they'll manage to open the schools in time.

There are a lot of people who are genuinely fearful about catching it. One guy I work with would have been in quite a 'hands-on', public facing role where he'd be interacting with people in close proximity. He's a sound guy, hard-working, good attitude, popular with all and loves his job. Handed in his notice today at age 63 - says he doesn't value the extra money enough to overcome his fears (he has moderately severe asthma - possibly other conditions that I'm not aware of).

There will be people like that among the school staff, as well as the usual chancers (of which there are probably more x( ), and it is the kind of job where they are going to be in contact with a LOT of people, who in turn are quite likely to be transmitters, and who aren't always known for their willingness to do exactly as told. So I do have some sympathy for the schools - it isn't easy to balance all the requirements.
But we're almost in August now, over 4 months since we shut down and these things should have been thought through by now.

One issue that I haven't heard much talk about, but I expect to be a major problem is childcare. Teaching is very female dominated, with many in the profession in no small part because it 'fits' well with family life (length of working day, holidays etc). A lot of creches are taking fewer kids (or none!) and with reduced opening hours. And schools possibly won't be taking kids for the normal hours either. Not so easy to organise flexitime for those teachers with kids, and there are already shortages of temporary/sub teachers

Not to mention, cleaning, sanitisers, one-way systems, eating and play areas etc
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Journalism pathetic

I thought Leo shoulda gone down the "near, far away" with toy cows from Father Ted trying to explain to her the difference between green list countries and other countries ; non essential travel etc in explaining the government policy on it ;
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Premier Red wrote:Pearse Doherty, I think it was, came out with another classic this morning over the staycations tax rebate when he said it didn't go far enough as 'it was of no benefit to those who don't pay tax'...... :roll:
Of course, what the Shinners and assorted lefties don't understand, is that one of the reasons Ireland is able to borrow the money to do this, and not spook the markets, is because we were able to tighten our belts a decade ago and drag ourselves out of the hole we had dug.

If we had followed Doherty's advice then, and gone the Greek route, we would be in the much, much worse position of relying on EU grants to allow people put food on their tables rather than worry about whether or not they paid enough tax to qualify for a rebate on their holiday.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Higgins is another unfortunate young women fast tracked to political stardom because...well I don't know why people think it's a good idea. There is enough Helen McEntee's out there to not need a Higgins
CM11

Post by CM11 »

EverReady wrote:Higgins is another unfortunate young women fast tracked to political stardom because...well I don't know why people think it's a good idea. There is enough Helen McEntee's out there to not need a Higgins
Was she fast tracked? A councillor since 2011.

Although I see she was Frances Fitzgerald's aide for 5 years so I guess that's why she was selected as a candidate.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

CM11 wrote:
EverReady wrote:Higgins is another unfortunate young women fast tracked to political stardom because...well I don't know why people think it's a good idea. There is enough Helen McEntee's out there to not need a Higgins

Although I see she was Frances Fitzgerald's aide for 5 years so I guess that's why she was selected as a candidate.
I'll be honest, I hadn't heard of her before last year. I'm hoping that her boundless enthusiasm will eventually make a competent TD out of her. Bit of a dearth in the locality for FG candidates. Lavelle seems happy enough as a councillor and Casserly is a one trick pony
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

She is very enthusiastic which is something. Lavelle isn't liked but is pretty competent and not afraid to throw shapes at Trots and Shinners. He was passed over for the gender stuff and got some decent job. I don't know him from Adam but I did say something complimentary about him once and was savaged. Was funny enough
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Was the same with Prime Time.

RTE literally attempting to create a bad news story. He explains Green lists to McCullagh who immediately says "it's all very confusing."

:?
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

CM11 wrote:

Lavelle was her real right hand man. Was her advisor in the Dept which upset a few people who felt they should have been. Usual shite
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Again, from an extremely casual view, it seems Leo is still the one coming across as leader-y lately.
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

In fairness to Martin, he has a lot to put up with given the amount of cvnts in his party that are out to get him

Varadkar only really has the likes of that gombeen Ring on his case ..... Micheál has half a dozen egomaniacs to deal with

Varadkar would look under stress too if he had to deal with proper nasty pricks like O’Dea, Cowen, McGuinness, O’Cuiv, and O’Callaghan
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Agree completely, I've come to like Martin a lot the more I've actually bothered to pay attention to politics.
The opening dog f**king a pony show with Cowen was a nightmare.

Hopefully both that and the Green party schism is in the past.
Premier Red

Post by Premier Red »

Fianna Fail are really in that unenviable position now that they cant afford to let this government fail, Fine Gael are in an unexpected power share position and can essentially ride its coat tails for the next couple of years, and have the covid bounce already bagged, so if it fails, its likely that FF are the ones who would have their vote share threatened further again by the Shinners.....the priority now for them all over next two years, and even Kelly and Labour have started it already (loved Kelly's attack of SF not having a monopoly on a mandate for change from Day 1), is a concerted effort to attack their populist, fantasy economics before the next election......SF could still gain seats but if the grand coalition could see the term out there's nothing to say they cant return for another 5.....that obviously assumes we can lift ourselves out of this latest economic hole reasonable quickly as that hole is the tailwind that would drive more to SF...
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Premier Red wrote:Fianna Fail are really in that unenviable position now that they cant afford to let this government fail, Fine Gael are in an unexpected power share position and can essentially ride its coat tails for the next couple of years, and have the covid bounce already bagged, so if it fails, its likely that FF are the ones who would have their vote share threatened further again by the Shinners.....the priority now for them all over next two years, and even Kelly and Labour have started it already (loved Kelly's attack of SF not having a monopoly on a mandate for change from Day 1), is a concerted effort to attack their populist, fantasy economics before the next election......SF could still gain seats but if the grand coalition could see the term out there's nothing to say they cant return for another 5.....that obviously assumes we can lift ourselves out of this latest economic hole reasonable quickly as that hole is the tailwind that would drive more to SF...
Hey look, the longer army council pricks can be kept away from power, and the more of them start aging as they're kept out, the better.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

rfurlong wrote:In fairness to Martin, he has a lot to put up with given the amount of cvnts in his party that are out to get him

Varadkar only really has the likes of that gombeen Ring on his case ..... Micheál has half a dozen egomaniacs to deal with

Varadkar would look under stress too if he had to deal with proper nasty pricks like O’Dea, Cowen, McGuinness, O’Cuiv, and O’Callaghan
Ah, Jim O’Callaghan. But you can’t bring yourself to say it for obvious reasons.
HighKingLeinster

Post by HighKingLeinster »

Lads, pubs operating as restaurants. Is it true they have to stop serving pints when the "restaurant" closes??
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

HighKingLeinster wrote:Lads, pubs operating as restaurants. Is it true they have to stop serving pints when the "restaurant" closes??
Don’t tell Mullet that you’re looking to break the rules :shock: