All things Rugby
EverReady

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by EverReady »

CM11 wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Primary school children will be sectioned off into pods of between four and six pupils in classes and separated by at least a metre from their classmates.
Good luck with that
No issue with that in my kids' school
Keeping them in those pods all day though is another matter :lol:
That's what I meant. Kids are pretty well behaved these days but that is a bridge too far
What age are they going to try that with? Could work in the older classes but going to be so shit from a social perspective.

Younger classes are like that for sitting down anyway but are they really going to try to keep them apart the whole day? And you still have the social problems as well as likely behaviour problems.
My missus has been pointing out the various problems we are building up amongst the his generation. If nothing else they are going to be OCD to within an inch of their lives
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Mullet 2 wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:Catalonia have closed late night bars and nightclubs. You can still go into a bar until 12 and there is no need for magic pizza.
So pizza is nonsense but like Cinderella the virus gets ugly at midnight?

Good man Brock
In Spain they generally eat miles later than we do anyway so them being open till midnight and us being open till midnight are not remotely the same.
Last edited by danthefan on Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

EverReady wrote:
danthefan wrote:
EverReady wrote:
camroc1 wrote:Amazon taking on another 1,000 to bring their number employed here to 5,000. Would Pearse Doherty et al prefer if these jobs weren't in Dublin/Ireland ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tec ... -1.4314491

Looks like they're creating an Amazon Town around Charlemont Street.
Funnily enough there is an argument that the ecosystem Amazon is destroying internationally is not something we want to lose. Plus 1000 jobs v the many lost to them isn't worth it either. The inverse of this is the natural cycle of purchasing has always changed. Mobile sales through markets, shops, department stores, malls, Amazon etc
They're AWS jobs, what are you on about?

I'm on about Amazon's growth and the decline of bricks and mortar. Are you hungover? It's not a new argument and I am clearly not that passionate about it
AWS is the part of the company that deals with cloud computing services. It may as well be a completely separate company to the amazon marketplace.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

danthefan wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:Catalonia have closed late night bars and nightclubs. You can still go into a bar until 12 and there is no need for magic pizza.

Good man Brock
In Spain they generally eat miles later than we do anyway so then being open till midnight and us being open till midnight are not remotely the same.
Yeah completely agree. I have gone out for normal dinner as late as 11 with Spic mates. Not good for an Irish man as we tend to be the hammered side of tipsy by then
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

danthefan wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Good man Brock
In Spain they generally eat miles later than we do anyway so then being open till midnight and us being open till midnight are not remotely the same.
Yeah I was just talking to a Spanish colleague about it and she was saying that closing at midnight is much more significant there than here. Often people will only head out shortly before that, but will keep going into the early hours, without necessarily being on a mad one.
It's just too hot to function during daylight hours, so having dinner at 9pm is perfectly normal.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

de_Selby wrote:
EverReady wrote:
danthefan wrote:
EverReady wrote:
camroc1 wrote:Amazon taking on another 1,000 to bring their number employed here to 5,000. Would Pearse Doherty et al prefer if these jobs weren't in Dublin/Ireland ?

Funnily enough there is an argument that the ecosystem Amazon is destroying internationally is not something we want to lose. Plus 1000 jobs v the many lost to them isn't worth it either. The inverse of this is the natural cycle of purchasing has always changed. Mobile sales through markets, shops, department stores, malls, Amazon etc

I'm on about Amazon's growth and the decline of bricks and mortar. Are you hungover? It's not a new argument and I am clearly not that passionate about it
AWS is the part of the company that deals with cloud computing services. It may as well be a completely separate company to the amazon marketplace.
ER going full cheese sandwich on that one.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

de_Selby wrote:
EverReady wrote:
danthefan wrote:
EverReady wrote:

That means nothing to me as in I didn't know they did that :thumbup:
sewa

Post by sewa »

paddyor wrote:It's not new. You're not supposed to go on holidays if you're on the dole.
So if someone on the dole saves up over years for a cheap holiday they are evil scumbags? Catch yourself on
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Floppykid wrote:
I literally couldn't give a shit. I just had one but don't give one. Are you going to post cheese sandwich at me constantly. Like I don't mind but you could mix it up
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

EverReady wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
I literally couldn't give a shit. I just had one but don't give one. Are you going to post cheese sandwich at me constantly. Like I don't mind but you could mix it up
We’ll see. It still makes me laugh.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

EverReady wrote:
danthefan wrote:
EverReady wrote:

If it wasn't Amazon, it would be some other "me-too" company. I also think that the death of "bricks and mortar" is overegged, certainly in Ireland.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Floppykid wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
We’ll see. It still makes me laugh.
Nah you needed to have started saying 'he's gone haloumi lads' or 'he's cheddaring the fück out of this thread' to get any mileage out of it. To be honest you have ruined it
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Kids are in a camp for the week and I'm on a day off work today.
I actually feel more relaxed today than for the last few months. Homes Under the Hammer in less than 10mins.
Yeeeeow :proud:
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

sewa wrote:
paddyor wrote:It's not new. You're not supposed to go on holidays if you're on the dole.
So if someone on the dole saves up over years for a cheap holiday they are evil scumbags? Catch yourself on
What a ridiculous post. They are completely entitled to go on holidays. What they should not be entitled to is taxpayers money whilst they are sitting by the pool in Spain. You don’t have a right to free money. You don’t earn it. It is provided as a gift from the state to help you whilst you are looking for a job.
sewa

Post by sewa »

Duff Paddy wrote:
What a ridiculous post. They are completely entitled to go on holidays. What they should not be entitled to is taxpayers money whilst they are sitting by the pool in Spain. You don’t have a right to free money. You don’t earn it. It is provided as a gift from the state to help you whilst you are looking for a job.
Most of the last page is people sneering at poor people, its quite pathetic but somehow makes you lot feel better about yourselves
Liathroidigloine

Post by Liathroidigloine »

I didn't have a foreign holiday for a number of years cause I was saving for college fees and accommodation for the kids. But then I don't get anything for free other than the yearly eyesight and dental check up.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

I dont agree with govt on this one. They should be entitled to spend their benefits however they want. The issue is with people milking a benefits system designed for those that need really need it, but that's a different argument.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

If you can afford a holiday on the dole you ain't only earning the dole
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

EverReady wrote:If you can afford a holiday on the dole you ain't only earning the dole
Again, that's another issue.

In theory, you could have recently recently lost your job and be on the dole. Paying for holiday on savings.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

EverReady wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Good man Brock
It's people's inhibitions go a bit after midnight. It's when I have got most of my action
3am?
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

de_Selby wrote:
EverReady wrote:
danthefan wrote:
EverReady wrote:

Such positive news. It's great for this country to be riding the tech horse through all of this.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Boxcar Ira wrote:
EverReady wrote:If you can afford a holiday on the dole you ain't only earning the dole
Again, that's another issue.

In theory, you could have recently recently lost your job and be on the dole. Paying for holiday on savings.
Absolutely. I meant long term. Apologies
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Mullet 2 wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Good man Brock
It's people's inhibitions go a bit after midnight. It's when I have got most of my action
3am?
Trying not to wake anybody with the jack's door locked. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... 5?mode=amp Mood music looking very good now
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Mullet 2 wrote:

Good man Brock
Not sure what you mean here, I was correcting your factual inaccuracy. It is a region of Spain and you can still go to far more places than you can here & later. I've never not argued for some restrictions for pubs, just that they should have been allowed to operate on a similar basis to restaurants.

This need to lie to get a gotcha moment for you is a bit strange but whatever.
Blackrock Bullet

Duff Paddy wrote:
sewa wrote:
I think a key point here is that Covid has shown that our welfare system is not fit for purpose.

The rate is too low for people initially made unemployed and too high for those long term unemployed - the Government are admitting this through the €350. Philosophically, I don't have a problem with someone recently made unemployed going on a holiday. I don't think this would be a discussion if our unemployment rate dropped to say €150 after 3 months and other welfare goodies got eased off. At the end of the day it is the Government advice not to travel abroad and they are paying people (even if enforced) so you should expect for it to be pulled in that time.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Think the Dutch do that from what I recall in my travels. Very high and and then graduates downwards
shabadoo

Post by shabadoo »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
sewa wrote:
I think a key point here is that Covid has shown that our welfare system is not fit for purpose.

The rate is too low for people initially made unemployed and too high for those long term unemployed - the Government are admitting this through the €350. Philosophically, I don't have a problem with someone recently made unemployed going on a holiday. I don't think this would be a discussion if our unemployment rate dropped to say €150 after 3 months and other welfare goodies got eased off. At the end of the day it is the Government advice not to travel abroad and they are paying people (even if enforced) so you should expect for it to be pulled in that time.
That's your bottom line, others bottom line is that it's the government shutting down the business and making people unemployed,the covid payment tried to ease this burden. Telling these people the payment will be taken away if they go on a holiday is kinda shit tbh. It is a totally separate situation to the long term welfare peeps....
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

lilyw wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
paddyor wrote:Facists out I cry as I assault people canvassing on the street!

https://twitter.com/TheBeaconIrl/status ... 60000?s=20

Christ I'd laugh, if it wasn't so sad. One bunch of fascists running another bunch out of town.
camroc1 wrote:Only in Ireland.........

The Business Post is reporting that unemployed people in receipt of the Covid payment who have flown abroad on holidays in defiance of public health advice are having their state payments stopped.

Firstly we allow unemployed people to go on holidays, secondly we give them so much in SW that they can afford them, and thirdly the sheer sense of self entitlement involved in, on the one hand, pocketing enough in state handouts to allow them go on a foreign holiday, whilst on the other, deliberately ignoring state advice in a pandemic.
At least irony isn't dead. What else would you not "allow" unemployed people do? go to the cinema? shop in M&S? eat in restaurants that charge more than Macari's chipper?

Get a grip of yourself.
will going to the cinema prevent you from getting a job if one were to become available ?
Blackrock Bullet

Yeah I'd agree it's a poor message to send.

I do think fundamentally that you shouldn't expect it though if the Government say not to holiday abroad for the whole population, it's a pre condition basically and you have to abide by that. I don't think it's wise to make an issue of it though. Lads on here saying "you can't exactly look for a job if you're abroad and then quarantining" is a bit plum given the circumstances. I've no doubt that there's the usual perma dolies leaving the country and some college and part time workers who did disproportionately well out of the €350, but there are also normal workers thrown out of their jobs through no fault of their own. They'll be sitting around for months now waiting for the government to reopen their industries and give them a fair go - there's several hundred thousand on that payment and a lot of them fall into that bracket.
ticketlessinseattle

there's probably 2 separate issues though ;

a. going on holidays abroad while on the dole
b. going on holidays abroad while on the dole during a pandemic when the entire country is being asked to not travel abroad except in the case of an emergency
sewa

Post by sewa »

Well a lot of people booked and paid for these holidays last January when the prices were cheapest. You can spend a week in Spain for far less than a week in Ireland. I know a female teacher who goes through 50+ inhalers a year and she goes to Spain to buy them all and saves well over the price of a holiday. By the time she brings back some fags for the husband and some booze she is up hundred's.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
lilyw wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
paddyor wrote:Facists out I cry as I assault people canvassing on the street!

https://twitter.com/TheBeaconIrl/status ... 60000?s=20

Christ I'd laugh, if it wasn't so sad. One bunch of fascists running another bunch out of town.
camroc1 wrote:Only in Ireland.........

The Business Post is reporting that unemployed people in receipt of the Covid payment who have flown abroad on holidays in defiance of public health advice are having their state payments stopped.

Firstly we allow unemployed people to go on holidays, secondly we give them so much in SW that they can afford them, and thirdly the sheer sense of self entitlement involved in, on the one hand, pocketing enough in state handouts to allow them go on a foreign holiday, whilst on the other, deliberately ignoring state advice in a pandemic.
At least irony isn't dead. What else would you not "allow" unemployed people do? go to the cinema? shop in M&S? eat in restaurants that charge more than Macari's chipper?

Get a grip of yourself.
will going to the cinema prevent you from getting a job if one were to become available ?
Wa answer de fone in the middle of the flick? do you want me to get battered?
Last edited by lorcanoworms on Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Boxcar Ira wrote:I dont agree with govt on this one. They should be entitled to spend their benefits however they want. The issue is with people milking a benefits system designed for those that need really need it, but that's a different argument.
Nobody is saying they can’t go on holiday. They can do what they like with their social welfare money. But they can’t expect the state to keep paying it whilst they are poolside in Spain. I don’t see anything remotely right wing about that.
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

ticketlessinseattle wrote:there's probably 2 separate issues though ;

a. going on holidays abroad while on the dole
b. going on holidays abroad while on the dole during a pandemic when the entire country is being asked to not travel abroad except in the case of an emergency
Yep, but there’s also a third issue......

The pandemic payment is NOT the dole ...... It’s designed to incentivize employers to keep people on the books and to keep their job open for them to return to

You can’t return to your job if you’re on a beach and quarantining upon return ..... so why should the taxpayer continue to subsidize your employer and give you an extra benefit, if you are not available to work?

If you want to go on a holiday, you have a choice to either be classed as unemployed (i.e. go on the dole proper), or alternatively go back to your job.

The taxpayer shouldn’t be funding a “third way” just cos it’s the more lucrative option for a certain cohort of people.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

sewa wrote:Well a lot of people booked and paid for these holidays last January when the prices were cheapest. You can spend a week in Spain for far less than a week in Ireland. I know a female teacher who goes through 50+ inhalers a year and she goes to Spain to buy them all and saves well over the price of a holiday. By the time she brings back some fags for the husband and some booze she is up hundred's.
Under the drugs payment scheme She should be capped at €120 a month
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Not sure who it is but just listening to the radio and the lady is making the point that public servants aren't paid for the 2 week quarantine either.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

CM11 wrote:Not sure who it is but just listening to the radio and the lady is making the point that public servants aren't paid for the 2 week quarantine either.
Fair point. Assuming they cant work from home I guess.

Seems like an insignificant hill to die on though. There cant be that much money at stake given the amoo it will give the opposition.
ticketlessinseattle

CM11 wrote:Not sure who it is but just listening to the radio and the lady is making the point that public servants aren't paid for the 2 week quarantine either.
huh ? genuinely don't follow that ? is there ever a 2 week period in a 52 week year when a public servant is not paid ?
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Fair point. Assuming they cant work from home I guess.

Seems like an insignificant hill to die on though. There cant be that much money at stake given the amoo it will give the opposition.
The work from home option was removed. Unions put up no fight on it or no pay for quarantine which was interesting
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
huh ? genuinely don't follow that ? is there ever a 2 week period in a 52 week year when a public servant is not paid ?
If you go on holiday the 2 week quarantine period is leave with no pay. As noted all the unions said fine