Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
Flametop

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Flametop »

iarmhiman wrote:NPHET looking at possible extra measures.

Dublin lockdown? Curfew?
Just an economic one please.
:thumbup:
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:You’re right, he’s alt right.
You having a breakdown?
Huh
You're tilting at windmills
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Ronan Glynn laying it on thick on the 9 o’clock news. A slap in the face for all the doctors and nurses working on the front line he says. All 5 people in ICU. Look just explain why it’s wrong and why we can’t have it but don’t lay on the pious shite, not one person in that video will get covid - most doctors and nurses are doing fudge all, let’s have some perspective for fudge sake.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

“People aren’t scared enough”
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

Lazy Couch potato wrote:66 today

Without channelling the Donald you’d hope the recent spike in cases is due to more testing. Especially when it’s easier to track n trace a large number of employees in a few plants. Would assume we had far higher numbers than the 25k back during lockdown. Prob closer to 100k perhaps. But that leaves vast swathes of the population who haven’t been exposed yet. Still fearful of a much bigger second wave that’s impossible to control once it takes off like USA or Italy. Put simply our hospitals won’t cope.

The Donald is right that increasing PCR testing capacity will lead to more cases being detected. But that is not the only issue. The PCR test looks to translate virus RNA into DNA and then amplify that molecule enormously to enable it to be observed. However it is not clear whether they are detecting infectious virus or fragments of inactive virus RNA. As such it is possible to have a rise in cases with a limited rise in true infections. I have not seen the rate of false positives for these tests be reported, but it would not be unusual to be high given the rapid roll-out of the test during the crisis.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/infectiou ... -covid-19/

The level of innate immunity in the population looks to be much higher than first thought with T-cell immunity. 40-60% of patients in a study published in Cell in June who had not been exposed to Covid2 had T-cells which recognised SARS-CoV-2, presumably from being exposed to other coronaviruses associated with the common cold. This would then also explain why Covid19 has burned quickly through its peak in fatalities quickly as so many are actually immune and able to defeat the virus and hinder spread of the virus.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1292 ... 33416.html
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:“People aren’t scared enough”
He's actually right about that. We discussed it here as far back as May or June. You can't keep hammering at people and expect to keep going in. Eventually they just stop no matter how hard you go at them. Anyway I see the basics are being done pretty well these days as in masks, keeping hands clean, not getting off with your granny and the other stuff.
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

EverReady wrote:
He's actually right about that. We discussed it here as far back as May or June. You can't keep hammering at people and expect to keep going in. Eventually they just stop no matter how hard you go at them. Anyway I see the basics are being done pretty well these days as in masks, keeping hands clean, not getting off with your granny and the other stuff.
Sure even in the pub vid there are people wearing masks.
Blackrock Bullet

Leinster in London wrote:
EverReady wrote:
And do they get any credit, no they do not! No mention of masks in the guidelines but these youngsters took it upon themselves.
Last edited by Blackrock Bullet on Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote:Ronan Glynn laying it on thick on the 9 o’clock news. A slap in the face for all the doctors and nurses working on the front line he says. All 5 people in ICU. Look just explain why it’s wrong and why we can’t have it but don’t lay on the pious shite, not one person in that video will get covid - most doctors and nurses are doing fudge all, let’s have some perspective for fudge sake.
Is this another Whoosh or can I reply to this straight?
JoeMangled

Post by JoeMangled »

Fúck me. Why do i come back here and read these 3 wankers posts.

See you lads. Wash your hands, stay safe.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

:lol:
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
EverReady wrote:
And do they get any credit, no they do not! No mention of masks in the guidelines but these youngsters took it upon themselves.
Credit for wearing masks around their chins while crammed into a room together and shouting their heads off?
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

When yo uh pick a side Nols you have to stick with it.

And when that side is that your tough and everyone who doesnt agree with you hates jobs and is on the blob then you can't let a little thing like this side track you.

Step 1: Irish people can be trusted
Step 2: Its not bad anyway
Step 3: Any examples of the breaches of the trust we deserve are just a bunch of snitches anyway.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

"But the meat factories!!" has turned in the response to absolute everything.

"I'm outraged at the meat factories!!"
*pops down to Tesco for a pound of cheap mince*
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Seems certain that this will be challenged in the courts. Can’t see how that could not be against equality legislation. Are they planning to upgrade Asian students whilst they’re at it like.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Using PR as the benchmark they should definitely mark the lads down in economics
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Seems certain that this will be challenged in the courts. Can’t see how that could not be against equality legislation. Are they planning to upgrade Asian students whilst they’re at it like.
If they are standardising based on previous results, I don't see a problem.

If they get it wrong, smart students will still pass their first year exams, and that same ruthlessly efficient system will ensure that those over graded and not able to keep up will fall at that same hurdle.
Blackrock Bullet

Nolanator wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Credit for wearing masks around their chins while crammed into a room together and shouting their heads off?
Ffs :lol:
Blackrock Bullet

Mullet 2 wrote:When yo uh pick a side Nols you have to stick with it.

And when that side is that your tough and everyone who doesnt agree with you hates jobs and is on the blob then you can't let a little thing like this side track you.

Step 1: Irish people can be trusted
Step 2: Its not bad anyway
Step 3: Any examples of the breaches of the trust we deserve are just a bunch of snitches anyway.
Telling lies again Mullet, tut tut!

I said that there would be a bad example of this and definitely a cluster. On the latter we haven’t even had that. Which is interesting, but how and ever, you aren’t really interested in actual discussion of the merits of things. 49 days in you finally have your prize, a couple of dozen Gen Zers dancing!

To answer the larger point, yes I largely trust the population. Amidst all of the hysteria over recent case rises, this isn’t some kind of Irish exceptionalism. It’s happened everywhere in pockets, it was inevitable with this virus. I trust the population as the population generally do the right thing. People aren’t perfect, but that’s life, get over it.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

danthefan wrote:"But the meat factories!!" has turned in the response to absolute everything.

What about the banks
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Ah and the Donald Trump thing of calling everyone who takes on your bullshit a liar

I've done the contrarian troll routine many a year and I'm better at it than you are unfortunately. :yawn:
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Sooooo predictable

By April we have to be trusted to behave in a responsible manner etc etc

Sure it's only a few bad apples doing it and there is no spike anyway

Sure there is a spike but it's only the young anyway and it's all meat factories

How to go from "Irish people can be trusted" to "Humans are flawed, get over it"
Blackrock Bullet

camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

If they get it wrong, smart students will still pass their first year exams, and that same ruthlessly efficient system will ensure that those over graded and not able to keep up will fall at that same hurdle.
They should probably have asked the colleges to cut back their offerings for this year while they were at it. More generic first year options available so people wouldn’t get as hung up on points.

Cancelling was still classic short termism. The FF TD for abusive phonecalls can be partly thanked for the mess.
Blackrock Bullet

Mullet 2 wrote:Ah and the Donald Trump thing of calling everyone who takes on your bullshit a liar

I've done the contrarian troll routine many a year and I'm better at it than you are unfortunately. :yawn:
There’s nothing contrarian here. The public’s generally behaviour drove R below 1 in Ireland pre stay at home orders. I back the public to do the right things most of the time. Yes we have people walking around who are morbidly obese, but most still follow the guidance and are more aware of fitness & nutrition than before. People have given up cigarettes en masse in the last 25 years. People are not perfect all of the time though, that’s just life.

I’m just pointing out reality. I thought it would be sooner than 49 days for a proper pub mess up, I was wrong. I thought for sure we’d have clusters from them, we haven’t had one, I was wrong. Delighted to be wrong- it appears the pubs and public are going a good job by and large.
Last edited by Blackrock Bullet on Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Mullet having a bird has made shit of him
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

danthefan wrote:"But the meat factories!!" has turned in the response to absolute everything.

It's bizarre. I've seen loads of people complaining that the government are ramping up the rhetoric on the pub antics as a distraction from the state of meat factories and how they're set up to benfit the pockets of the government's cronies etc. Madness.

The meat factories have always been like that, but it's driven by our desire for cheap meat without wanting to know the true price of it being industrially produced. It's something societal that needs change that will take time to change consumer habits through education, and also to change work practices in the factories. This has been going on for years and will go on long after Covid ceases to be a huge problem. It's not a simple thing to solve and the outbreaks have been seen around the word. It's not a uniquely Irish problem.

The shit we saw on the weekend, though, is extremely simple to solve. Don't behave like an absolute fuckhead. There, done. Problem solved.

Equating the two or pitching one as a distraction from the other is mind-numbingly stupid. Also, the permanently outraged crew seem to miss the fact that you can dislike more than one thing at a time and talking about one doesn't mean you support the other.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

EverReady wrote:Mullet having a bird has made shit of him
Agreed
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:Ah and the Donald Trump thing of calling everyone who takes on your bullshit a liar

There’s nothing contrarian here. The public’s generally behaviour drove R below 1 in Ireland pre stay at home orders. I back the public to do the right things most of the time. Yes we have people walking around who are morbidly obese, but most still follow the guidance and are more aware of fitness & nutrition than before. People have given up cigarettes en masse in the last 25 years. People are not perfect all of the time though, that’s just life.

I’m just pointing out reality. I thought it would be sooner than 49 days for a proper pub mess up, I was wrong. I thought for sure we’d have clusters from them, we haven’t had one, I was wrong. Delighted to be wrong- it appears the pubs and public are going a good job by and large.
Caught lying again

Poor form young man
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

iarmhiman wrote:Another Irish professor on Sky News advocating the driving of covid to zero.

I'm sick of these people saying this without saying how they think this could be achieved.

We all know the why and what. What about the 'how'?
and at what cost ? its a great aspiration but its up there with "world peace, no wars" ; took about a year for that lad in Galway to figure out how to live off grid, no cash, no electricity, no running water
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

this fcukin weather has me depressed to fcuk ; off to Connemara and Galway City tomorrow with family for a few days - if the weather was half way decent.....
Blackrock Bullet

Mullet 2 wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:

Caught lying again

Poor form young man
"I know you are but what am I", a fave of Mullet when stumped. Beats the abuse though. :o
Blackrock Bullet

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:Another Irish professor on Sky News advocating the driving of covid to zero.

I'm sick of these people saying this without saying how they think this could be achieved.

and at what cost ? its a great aspiration but its up there with "world peace, no wars" ; took about a year for that lad in Galway to figure out how to live off grid, no cash, no electricity, no running water
Shut up and listen to the experts
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

ticketlessinseattle wrote:

You can't drive covid to zero in Ireland. There will always be a pool of it somewhere amongst a group of asymptomatic people.

If you look at the stats something like 6-8% of those in the age group 25 - 44 have been hospitalised, yet when you look at the recent upsurge, which has almost all been in that age group, the hospitalisation rate is something like 1%.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/cor ... ebsite.pdf
Blackrock Bullet

That tracks missing at least 9 cases out of 10 in March/April. We will still be missing lots of cases, probably 3 to 4. When you see what the mass testing of sites dredges up, it's clear there will be more asymptomatic cases as you mention amongst the smaller cluster that won't ever be tested.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

You would if it was your son who just missed out on the course they wanted. You can say in general that girls outperform boys at LC level but you can’t say that because student A is a girl she shouldn’t be marked down whilst student B should be because they are a boy. Equality legislation wouldn’t allow it. I’d also love a male student to take a challenge based on their right to identify as a girl if they want to :lol:
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:

Caught lying again

Poor form young man
"I know you are but what am I", a fave of Mullet when stumped. Beats the abuse though. :o
Whoosh

Now for the "Huh?" Followed a TLDR
Blackrock Bullet

Mullet 2 wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:

Caught lying again

Poor form young man
Whoosh

Now for the "Huh?" Followed a TLDR
Good luck next time.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Huh?

*insert overly wordy misinterpretation of posters point followed by a straw man.
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

Duff Paddy wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

You would if it was your son who just missed out on the course they wanted. You can say in general that girls outperform boys at LC level but you can’t say that because student A is a girl she shouldn’t be marked down whilst student B should be because they are a boy. Equality legislation wouldn’t allow it. I’d also love a male student to take a challenge based on their right to identify as a girl if they want to :lol:
that would be some craic alright

these "predicted" grades are rapidly turning into "socially engineered" grades

the Deis schools shouldn't be disadvantaged
the Girls shouldn't be disadvantaged
the Gaelscoileanna shouldn't be disadvantaged
the Trannies shouldn't be disadvantaged
the Home school hippies shouldn't be disadvantaged

the only people its politically correct to fudge over these days, are middle class males it seems