All things Rugby
ticketlessinseattle

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

HighKingLeinster wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:59 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:37 pm
EverReady wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:34 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:31 pm
CM11 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:21 pm He's right that there's a certain group where it's less dangerous than flu? Eh, that's hardly a secret.
So why was he forced to resign
It is fücked up but his conscience is clear. His problem is how weak the politicians are. I know it myself as I am not that militant on it all bar the joshing on here yet I get called Gemma now regularly. In itself that is funny but the facts are any dissent and you are marked as a right wing loon. I am not
Sure I’ve been called an anti vaxxer on here. I’m probably the most pro science person you could meet.
bullshit. I have personally watch all series of the big bang theory. twice :smug:
I think Duffer was channeling his inner Donald with having a special thing for science when he was explaining to the CDC what he knew after watching Fox News
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Leinsterman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:41 pm I'll go effin nuts if Dublin goes to Level 3.
Aint going no other way, unless you get the knackers to stop knacking pronto
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

DeDoc wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:23 pm
Nolanator wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am I've a higher h-index than him, and am a researcher in Trinity. RTE should be asking me about this stuff.
That's impressive, unless you're older than I thought - had you pegged at 30ish?
32. Worked with lots of decent people and have my name on quite a few papers which have been cited a good bit (a few of them are even my own).
TBF, I work in a fairly fertile area of research. Lots of publications and citations in general.

Also, my h-index is one higher than his, and looking at his stats over the last few years versus mine, his will grow much faster. :lol:
CM11

Post by CM11 »

We can hound people out of jobs for minor indiscretions but not a peep of backlash ever for healthcare staff who won't take the flu vaccine when working with compromised people.
HighKingLeinster

Post by HighKingLeinster »

CM11 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:00 pm We can hound people out of jobs for minor indiscretions but not a peep of backlash ever for healthcare staff who won't take the flu vaccine when working with compromised people.
Sure when you have people like Duff who are anti-vax what chance do we have.....
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

EverReady wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:26 pm It was evident a few years ago the remainers had been absolutely out played on every level. The worst part of it is seeing them all and I mean the vast majority saying just get on with it, we voted out let's get out, anything is better than this, we don't like the EU more now. Are they really that stupid that wouldn't use their energy to try and bring about meaningful change rather than 'nah straight off the cliff for me'. I remember when Jacob said it will be 2050 before.the benefits start accruing, i.e. don't moan at me while I am alive, that I knew they were fücked
de Gaulle never wanted the plum to join in the first place. Looks like he was right.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

DeDoc wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:25 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 am https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4356244

Dissent is not tolerated
The estimated death rate for Covid-19 is 10 times that of seasonal flu, four leading TCD scientists pointed out,
Four scientists sitting in trinners never seen a sick person in their lives versus an actual consultant vascular surgeon with an impeccable clinical CV.
Not sure why you connect those - the scientists, in any case probably have a lot more expertise here than a vascular surgeon
More expertise in what exactly?
Last edited by Duff Paddy on Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Matt Cooper has a consultant gastroenterologist on to talk about Covid this evening.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

danthefan wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:03 pm Matt Cooper has a consultant gastroenterologist on to talk about Covid this evening.
Here is a mad thing that might be coincidental or might not. Since I had the suspected Covid in March my arse hasn't been right. My missus had loads of gastro problems after her suspected Covid. Stomach pains blahdy blah. In anyways when I got the cold this week my arse is now better. Spooky.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

EverReady wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:08 pm
danthefan wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:03 pm Matt Cooper has a consultant gastroenterologist on to talk about Covid this evening.
Here is a mad thing that might be coincidental or might not. Since I had the suspected Covid in March my arse hasn't been right. My missus had loads of gastro problems after her suspected Covid. Stomach pains blahdy blah. In anyways when I got the cold this week my arse is now better. Spooky.
Did your missus lose the strap-on?
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

His first question should be "why exactly are you on this show tonight?"
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:11 pm
EverReady wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:08 pm
Did your missus lose the strap-on?
No if anything that eased the pain
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

God Matt Cooper is an annoying cúnt
cfm93

Post by cfm93 »

iarmhiman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:18 pm God Matt Cooper is an annoying cúnt
How he has both a national radio show and tv show is beyond me.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

iarmhiman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:18 pm God Matt Cooper is an annoying cúnt
He is painful.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

We have some right annoying cúnts now especially on the radio:

Cooper
Cuddihy
Duffy

I don't mind Mary Wilson.
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:17 pm More expertise in what exactly?
In matters relevant to Covid, which have not very much to do with vascular surgery
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

DeDoc wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:55 pm
In matters relevant to Covid, which have not very much to do with vascular surgery
What’s their clinical experience
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

He wasn’t just a vascular surgeon by the way, he was a clinical director for years he was the man charged with turning around Tullamore. I’d say his opinions are at the very least worth listening to.
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:06 pm He wasn’t just a vascular surgeon by the way, he was a clinical director for years he was the man charged with turning around Tullamore. I’d say his opinions are at the very least worth listening to.

Of course it is worth listening, but the reality is he has gone public with views (which if wrong have potentially serious public health consequences) that go against his employers official view. He has made his own position untenable. If he was so convinced that the HSE policy was wrong, he should fight it internally. Even if he didn't get any traction there and he felt he had to go public, his choice of language and tone was f**king daft. If you drill down, his end point is essentially that we should be opening up a bit more - plenty of ways to make that point without generating headlines along the lines of 'experienced doc says covid milder than flu'. Given the evidence we have about fatalities (undoubtedly getting better, but still looks way worse than normal flu), level of infectiousness, and perhaps most seriously the potential long term consequences on people who contract it, any sensible individual would have wound their neck in a bit.
Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:01 pm
DeDoc wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:55 pm
What’s their clinical experience
Little or none, but I don't think clinical experience is the only currency here. I'd also be interested in your definition of clinical experience - if you mean frontline exposure to patients presenting at ER or suspected Covid, then there probably isn't much difference.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Give it a rest. He knows as do many of the rest of us that we have been sold a pup. An ugly pup that doesn't go on holidays and can't get out for a pint
CM11

Post by CM11 »

What's an acceptable number of deaths/patients in ICU over the next few months ER?
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:39 am What's an acceptable number of deaths/patients in ICU over the next few months ER?
That’s f**king pathetic stats.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

As discussed the parameters have changed so the figures are bullshit. 80 year olds with life rapidly receding into the rear view mirror: thousands. 60/70 year olds already beaten around by life: hundreds. In the world we live today every life: priceless. Well bar cancer people's and various other screened for illnesses and mental health stuff and a range of other things like itchy balls. They can wait cause the lads said so.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:00 am
CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:39 am What's an acceptable number of deaths/patients in ICU over the next few months ER?
It's not. You can't criticise an approach without putting your views on record as to what you think is an acceptable toll to avoid economic and social upheaval. You have to have some criteria in your mind as to what's acceptable. Even if you expand it and go, well this amount of covid deaths will be balanced out by avoiding this amount of deaths from missed cancers etc. But you can't simply go 'we're being sold a pup' as hospitalisations are heading towards 100 by the end of the week and deaths are accelerating without acknowledging what you think is an acceptable toll.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

EverReady wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:02 am As discussed the parameters have changed so the figures are bullshit. 80 year olds with life rapidly receding into the rear view mirror: thousands. 60/70 year olds already beaten around by life: hundreds. In the world we live today every life: priceless. Well bar cancer people's and various other screened for illnesses and mental health stuff and a range of other things like itchy balls. They can wait cause the lads said so.
Was what happened in Italy or New York or Spain 'bullshit'?

Was the fact that our excess deaths almost exactly matched our deaths due to covid in April 'bullshit'?

Are the rising numbers of hospitalisations and people in ICU, bullshit?

You can have a view as to what needs to be accepted but stop with the outright dismissal of the disease, ffs.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

the reality is he has gone public with views (which if wrong have potentially serious public health consequences)
His argument is that the public health damage as a result of closing down our economy will be worse in the long term. I agree with him at this stage - I didn’t earlier in the year. Lockdown should be used extremely sparingly, it wasn’t meant to continue as lockdown lite for a year or more
was so convinced that the HSE policy was wrong, he should fight it internally.
Have you ever dealt with the HSE? They are unbelievable
to make that point without generating headlines along the lines of 'experienced doc says covid milder than flu'.
I’d say the journalist hung him out to dry
if you mean frontline exposure to patients presenting at ER or suspected Covid, then there probably isn't much difference.
No I mean in the broader sense. This man knows more about hospitals than all but a handful of people - he knows what he’s talking about
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Duff lasted longer than the two boys tbf but we went off the batshit train a while ago.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:06 am
It's not. You can't criticise an approach without putting your views on record as to what you think is an acceptable toll to avoid economic and social upheaval. You have to have some criteria in your mind as to what's acceptable. Even if you expand it and go, well this amount of covid deaths will be balanced out by avoiding this amount of deaths from missed cancers etc. But you can't simply go 'we're being sold a pup' as hospitalisations are heading towards 100 by the end of the week and deaths are accelerating without acknowledging what you think is an acceptable toll.
People die stats. They have to die of something. People over 75 get infections like the flu and die and nobody tries to blame society for having blood on its hands because they let their symptomatic child go to school that day. You’ve lost all perspective
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Mullet 2 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:09 am Duff lasted longer than the two boys tbf but we went off the batshit train a while ago.
It's mad how much of a 180 he did
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:11 am
CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:06 am
People die stats. They have to die of something. People over 75 get infections like the flu and die and nobody tries to blame society for having blood on its hands because they let their symptomatic child go to school that day. You’ve lost all perspective
In a bad year a couple of hundred older people in the same bracket as ER's 'they were dying anyway' die from flu. As I pointed out, less than 50 died in the 18/19 season. And flu has a shorter incubation period meaning people can isolate quickly. It has a steady reproduction rate of just above 1. Covid will hopefully get to the stage where it's as controlled as flu in our society but it's not there yet.

But the question stands. You've just answered it in relation to flu. Why is it pathetic to ask same for covid?
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:11 am
Mullet 2 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:09 am Duff lasted longer than the two boys tbf but we went off the batshit train a while ago.
He was brewing for a while tbf
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

It’s not a direct comparison to the flu you eejit I could have said pneumonia or anything
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

The situation has changed. Lockdown was appropriate at the start - it’s not now. We have plenty of other countries to learn from.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:16 am It’s not a direct comparison to the flu you eejit I could have said pneumonia or anything
Nice deflection.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:09 am
EverReady wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:02 am As discussed the parameters have changed so the figures are bullshit. 80 year olds with life rapidly receding into the rear view mirror: thousands. 60/70 year olds already beaten around by life: hundreds. In the world we live today every life: priceless. Well bar cancer people's and various other screened for illnesses and mental health stuff and a range of other things like itchy balls. They can wait cause the lads said so.

Was the fact that our excess deaths almost exactly matched our deaths due to covid in April 'bullshit'?

You can have a view as to what needs to be accepted but stop with the outright dismissal of the disease, ffs.
I don't dismiss the disease I dismiss the approach. You believe radically altering society to save a few thousand oul wans dying a bit early and I don't
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:17 am
The situation has changed. Lockdown was appropriate at the start - it’s not now. We have plenty of other countries to learn from.
I'm all ears.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

EverReady wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:18 am
CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:09 am

I don't dismiss the disease I dismiss the approach. You believe radically altering society to save a few thousand oul wans dying a bit early and I don't
Putting words in my mouth there ER. I have no idea what the right answer is. Nor does anyone bar yourself and Duff, it seems.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

He wants nobody to die of anything ever, and certainly not covid. When a guy dies of a heart attack and goes down as a covid death because he caught it hospital and stats then uses that as evidence of deaths creeping up we know we are talking to someone who can’t think for themselves