Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
EverReady

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by EverReady »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:00 am I wonder did Donnelly leak it?
NPHET have members that are now straight up briefing the Indo. They are not a bit cowed by the weekends events. Needs to be reconstituted. Call it the National Emergency Public Health Committee and get rid of a load of them and bring in some normal people.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Luke O'Neill talking about reinfection and how it's not just a case of getting it asymptomatically.

Not sure if it's wise to talk through evolving science on public radio though.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

No checkpoint at the N11/M50 this morning, but definitely felt like more southbound traffic around Stepaside/Sandyford village. May just have been school traffic, mind you.
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

EverReady wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:14 am
NPHET have members that are now straight up briefing the Indo. They are not a bit cowed by the weekends events. Needs to be reconstituted. Call it the National Emergency Public Health Committee and get rid of a load of them and bring in some normal people.
listening to rte radio this morning it did seem to suggest that Donnelly could have been the leak - there was no suggestion from rte that it was ; it was just a walk through of the timeline - Holohan is saying it didn't come from NPHET which is a ballsy statement (I still like the guy and his statement and delivery was very impressive imo) ; its back on the government to deny it came from them - either way, they need to get to the bottom of it - the gloves are off, the "cut and thrust" as Holohan said ; might as well get it sorted now, clear the air otherwise it'll be a long winter
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

CM11 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:50 pm https://www.thejournal.ie/non-covid-car ... 4-Oct2020/

Kelly has been annoyingly on point recently! A pity it probably won't help Labour's polling.
IMO Kelly has been the best leader in this Dáil, which is a complete surprise to me. He finds the cornel of the issue quite well in fairness to him. He seems to be return to labour values and principals I'm not sure how much he will attract the traditional labour votes as he still does come across as being to shiny and polish for their liking.
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

camroc1 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:26 am
Whilst X to the power of 0.04 is indeed a geometrical progression, it does not constitute exponential growth, which is generally understood to be of the form : e to the power of x, where x > 1 .
A geometric progression is just a discrete version of the exponential function.

The definition of an exponential function is simply one where the result is proportional to some number to the power of x. It will grow (and you will have exponential growth) if that number is greater than 1.

In this case the number is 1.04. If it were 0.04 the numbers would be decreasing each day, not increasing.

Saying that there is exponential growth doesn't have to mean it will be unbounded and the sky is going to fall in, and we obviously can't blindly model the spread with a simple function when we are actively taking measures to counteract it.. but alliswell is right.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

EverReady wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:34 am Gino fücking Kenny. A greater idiot you will never meet. I absolutely guarantee he doesn't grasp the broad implications of it.
I see the Indo are driving the anti government Level 4/5 bus today. Them and the IT are a pox
Going to make probate cases fun.

"When did you have your uncle killed? Was it before or after you realised he'd left you the farm?"

:uhoh:
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Donnelly may have to walk if it's found to be him that leaked it.
HighKingLeinster

Post by HighKingLeinster »

iarmhiman wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:45 am Donnelly may have to walk if it's found to be him that leaked it.
He'll have helped Leo make a tit of himself which wont be quickly forgotten. If he does walk it will be 3? senior ministers gone since formation of the gov
CM11

Post by CM11 »

There's a difference between knowing Tony was concerned about the deteriorating position and knowing he was going to recommend level 5. Donnelly is only in trouble if Holohan gave an indication that he was thinking level 5.

If I'm Donnelly and I get told the situation had deteriorated from Thursday with no extra info, I'd be assuming NPHET were going to advise level 3 for the country.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

ticketlessinseattle wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:47 am
listening to rte radio this morning it did seem to suggest that Donnelly could have been the leak - there was no suggestion from rte that it was ; it was just a walk through of the timeline - Holohan is saying it didn't come from NPHET which is a ballsy statement (I still like the guy and his statement and delivery was very impressive imo) ; its back on the government to deny it came from them - either way, they need to get to the bottom of it - the gloves are off, the "cut and thrust" as Holohan said ; might as well get it sorted now, clear the air otherwise it'll be a long winter
That's what I have heard and it would appear that Dr Tony concurs.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Sorry, didn't address the leaking. Why would anyone think it was him?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

And what would he have to gain?
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Anyway back in the real world, Ireland raised 1.5 billion in the bond markets this morning in 7,10 and 15 year money at record low yields..... NTMA should be loading up at these levels.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

CM11 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:09 am And what would he have to gain?
Gain ??? Donnely is a sleeveen little fcuk working his own agenda to eventually run FF.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

The Sun God wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:12 am
Gain ??? Donnely is a sleeveen little fcuk working his own agenda to eventually run FF.
Same question. Why would leaking this help him?
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

He isn't, and never was, made of the stuff to run the likes of FF and I'm going back well over 20 years with that assessment.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

CM11 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:15 am
Because it put the two men , who are out in front of this shitshow: Mehole and Leo, on the back foot while he as MOH continues his very good impression of the invisable man.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

The Sun God wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:24 am
Because it put the two men , who are out in front of this shitshow: Mehole and Leo, on the back foot while he as MOH continues his very good impression of the invisable man.
I think that's a stretch but I get your point.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

I don’t see how Holohan can say it didn’t come from NPHET - how could he know that?
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

CM11 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:35 am
The Sun God wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:24 am
I think that's a stretch but I get your point.
Yeah I cant see that either.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

The Sun God wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:08 am
That's what I have heard and it would appear that Dr Tony concurs.
I posted that evening I thought it was government leaked that. I am talking about today though and somebody in NPHET is clearly briefing both George Lee and the Indo and presumably multiple other journos
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:54 am
I don’t see how Holohan can say it didn’t come from NPHET - how could he know that?
He's a senior doctor !
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

anonymous_joe wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:43 am
EverReady wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:34 am Gino fücking Kenny. A greater idiot you will never meet. I absolutely guarantee he doesn't grasp the broad implications of it.
I see the Indo are driving the anti government Level 4/5 bus today. Them and the IT are a pox
Going to make probate cases fun.

"When did you have your uncle killed? Was it before or after you realised he'd left you the farm?"

:uhoh:
Gino got traction with the medical blow thing which was him trying to legalise blow through the back door. Because he is an idiot he said to himself 'whats emotional and medical and I could use that as well'. Assisted suicide TA DA
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Evidence from Oregon is that only 20% of people site pain as the reason

Loss of bodily function followed by feeling a burden are the top reasons.

But it's a new Ireland and this is liberal and trendy.
cfm93

Post by cfm93 »

Press Up have begun their legal proceedings against the state.

https://www.thejournal.ie/press-up-grou ... 9-Oct2020/
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

lads, lads, you won't believe what I'm after hearing ?!......anyway, if he was being briefed by Holohan on Saturday and couldn't figure out or simply didn't ask where this is heading then thats hardly a good look - the fact that he met Holohan on Saturday and the subsequent shitstorm occurred isnt a good luck for Donnelly no matter what was said/not said at the meeting and subsequent follow ups
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

cfm93 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:29 pm Press Up have begun their legal proceedings against the state.

Stupid hill to die on ..... with case numbers on the rise, the timing of this isn't a good look for them

They'd be better off suing their insurance company
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

rfurlong wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:15 pm
cfm93 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:29 pm Press Up have begun their legal proceedings against the state.

Stupid hill to die on ..... with case numbers on the rise, the timing of this isn't a good look for them

They'd be better off suing their insurance company
They're dying anyway moron.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

It's funny the way that Boris has sidelined Arlene & Michelle to talk directly to MM about the worsening situation in NI.

He may as well have sent them out to make tea while the adults are talking.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1008/11702 ... ronavirus/

Tomas Ryan being wrong on RTÉ but they print him without question. He also has zero qualifications on the matter.
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:30 pm https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1008/11702 ... ronavirus/

Tomas Ryan being wrong on RTÉ but they print him without question. He also has zero qualifications on the matter.
Be nice, he is punching above his weight ... as a neuroscientist ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:30 pm https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1008/11702 ... ronavirus/

Where did he get to see the modelling?
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

I don’t think he has, he’s just spoofing.

Growth has moderated to 4%/5% a week by the time Level 3 had been introduced (it’s was 4 weeks previous that saw the big increases) and the 7 day average of cases actually fell between yesterday and the week preceding.

If anything, you could argue that it was a success of level 3 (though growth was slowing before that imo), but no, these fuckers and the media are desperate for a hard lockdown.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

To paraphrase him: "the restrictions in Dublin aren't working, cases are rising everywhere else" :?
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

I've looked at the HSPC daily reports available and extracted the following data for Dublin

29/09/2020 17149
30/09/2020 17315
03/10/2020 17821
04/10/2020 17951
05/10/2020 18061

I bashed it into excel and it doesn't look exponential to me.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

What's that ? Total number of cases in Dublin week by week ?

Differences week on week : 166 : 506 : 130 : 110

Looks like a spike followed by a slow reduction - almost as if Level 3 was working in Dublin.
Last edited by camroc1 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

camroc1 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:11 pm What's that ? Total number of cases in Dublin week by week ?
Total cases notified to midnight on each date https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/cor ... inireland/
CM11

Post by CM11 »

At worst Dublin has stabilised. It had actually shown a drop from last week up until yesterday's numbers.

It's pathetic to have a headline and comment that cases are growing exponentially in Dublin. As I said earlier, I'm getting really annoyed now with the media preferring to push the 'we're doomed' narrative as opposed to providing balance.

Maybe I'm not seeing the articles but someone more sane like Luke O'Neill seems to be absent from the print media, certainly compared to Ryan and McConkey?
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

CM11 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:14 pm At worst Dublin has stabilised. It had actually shown a drop from last week up until yesterday's numbers.

It's pathetic to have a headline and comment that cases are growing exponentially in Dublin. As I said earlier, I'm getting really annoyed now with the media preferring to push the 'we're doomed' narrative as opposed to providing balance.

Maybe I'm not seeing the articles but someone more sane like Luke O'Neill seems to be absent from the print media, certainly compared to Ryan and McConkey?
A big part of the problem is that most journos (excl some specialists) did pass maths at LC and an arts degree far removed from anything "hard"; and thus don't have a basic concept of, for example the difference between linear and geometric growth, never mind understanding a proper exponential function.