Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
User avatar
rfurlong
Posts: 11308
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by rfurlong »

CM11 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:12 pm To be honest, I don't think it's helpful to talk about the country as a whole. There should be acknowledgement of areas doing well and equally highlighting where areas are seeing a big increase (although they mostly do this). When you get articles with no clarification from NPHET about areas experiencing exponential growth when they're not, it does lead to a lack of buy in for their warnings.
in fairness they are the 'National' body, not the 'County by County' body ....

its not too much to expect the Irish people generally to do the right thing, without NPHET having to mass customise the message because certain people in Drimnagh or Donegal are either too entitled, too parochial, or too thick to absorb essential information
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36557
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

CM11 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:34 pm
Nolanator wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:28 pm
EverReady wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:14 pm So what if it is rising exponentially or any of the nentiallys its killing fück all people. One of the reasons the ludicrous overreacting is happening is they didn't secure the normal flus vaccine pipeline and that's what they are really worried about
Why do you constantly ignore the fact that we don't know how many people it'll kill in three weeks?

I'm far from an alarmist lockdown fetishist, but it's well-established that the serious medical stuff lags the case increase by 2-3 weeks. The proportion of new cases over 65 is also creeping up, which is concerning, although it's still very much mostly young people.

Suggesting level 5 just because is a load of ask me bollocks, but your line of it being harmless is just as daft in the other direction.
While I'm sure it's the demographics, hospitalisations including ICU and deaths have stayed steady over the last 6-8 weeks.

It's not harmless and ER and Duff can sometimes be too dismissive but as Collins pointed out in the IT article cam put up, it'd be quite scary to hear daily reports of diagnosis and deaths in a range of diseases and the question is whether we've got to the stage where it's akin to other diseases that we live with.
I don’t think it’s harmless - sometimes we take the piss to counter some of the hysteria. My point is that we need to put it in perspective - it’s highly dangerous for a particular cohort of society and our strategy should be to protect them, not to shut down the entire country, that just makes a bigger problem down the line
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 59509
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

rfurlong wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:06 pm
CM11 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:12 pm To be honest, I don't think it's helpful to talk about the country as a whole. There should be acknowledgement of areas doing well and equally highlighting where areas are seeing a big increase (although they mostly do this). When you get articles with no clarification from NPHET about areas experiencing exponential growth when they're not, it does lead to a lack of buy in for their warnings.
in fairness they are the 'National' body, not the 'County by County' body ....

its not too much to expect the Irish people generally to do the right thing, without NPHET having to mass customise the message because certain people in Drimnagh or Donegal are either too entitled, too parochial, or too thick to absorb essential information
Dublin have been in level 3 for three weeks, it's not exactly a stretch to suggest they should be commenting on how things are stabilising rather than talking doom and gloom. All. The. Fúcking. Time.
User avatar
HighKingLeinster
Posts: 21578
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:58 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by HighKingLeinster »

This no pubs thing is getting tiresome. Reduced to having a can of Guinness now out of desperation :thumbdown:
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 59509
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:12 pm
CM11 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:34 pm
Nolanator wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:28 pm
EverReady wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:14 pm So what if it is rising exponentially or any of the nentiallys its killing fück all people. One of the reasons the ludicrous overreacting is happening is they didn't secure the normal flus vaccine pipeline and that's what they are really worried about
Why do you constantly ignore the fact that we don't know how many people it'll kill in three weeks?

I'm far from an alarmist lockdown fetishist, but it's well-established that the serious medical stuff lags the case increase by 2-3 weeks. The proportion of new cases over 65 is also creeping up, which is concerning, although it's still very much mostly young people.

Suggesting level 5 just because is a load of ask me bollocks, but your line of it being harmless is just as daft in the other direction.
While I'm sure it's the demographics, hospitalisations including ICU and deaths have stayed steady over the last 6-8 weeks.

It's not harmless and ER and Duff can sometimes be too dismissive but as Collins pointed out in the IT article cam put up, it'd be quite scary to hear daily reports of diagnosis and deaths in a range of diseases and the question is whether we've got to the stage where it's akin to other diseases that we live with.
I don’t think it’s harmless - sometimes we take the piss to counter some of the hysteria. My point is that we need to put it in perspective - it’s highly dangerous for a particular cohort of society and our strategy should be to protect them, not to shut down the entire country, that just makes a bigger problem down the line
I think the view is that it's too difficult to cordon off everyone who is vulnerable. It's not just nursing homes or even elderly.

But as I've said plenty of times recently, it's idiots being idiots that's spreading this mostly.
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28778
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Mullet 2 »

HighKingLeinster wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:14 pm This no pubs thing is getting tiresome. Reduced to having a can of Guinness now out of desperation :thumbdown:
I had a can on a bench at lunch

I can see why hobos and 17 year old me like it so much
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28778
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Mullet 2 »

You can’t wall off over 70s and the sick

Simply can’t be done so either you protect them or you let them off to the bingo game in the sky.
User avatar
HighKingLeinster
Posts: 21578
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:58 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by HighKingLeinster »

Mullet 2 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:18 pm You can’t wall off over 70s and the sick

Simply can’t be done so either you protect them or you let them off to the bingo game in the sky.
Or let them protect themselves (nursing home residents now withstanding)
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28778
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Mullet 2 »

How so?

The pubs are open (eh unless you’re a nurse in a nursing home)

Go nuts at the gym lads (eh unless you’re a physio with older patients)

And what about all this mental health talk? Not impact older people no?

You lads are long on criticism and short on solutions
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36557
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

Mullet 2 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:18 pm You can’t wall off over 70s and the sick

Simply can’t be done so either you protect them or you let them off to the bingo game in the sky.
Fake news
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28778
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Mullet 2 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:43 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:18 pm You can’t wall off over 70s and the sick

Simply can’t be done so either you protect them or you let them off to the bingo game in the sky.
Fake news
The transformation to Donald is complete
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36557
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

Mullet 2 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:44 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:43 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:18 pm You can’t wall off over 70s and the sick

Simply can’t be done so either you protect them or you let them off to the bingo game in the sky.
Fake news
The transformation to Donald is complete
You sound like a god damn Democrat
MunsterMan!!!!!
Posts: 4681
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

Be it leaks or kite flying, they need to stop, this shit with schools being the latest one. They're not good for the country
User avatar
HighKingLeinster
Posts: 21578
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:58 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by HighKingLeinster »

Duff Paddy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:08 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:44 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:43 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:18 pm You can’t wall off over 70s and the sick

Simply can’t be done so either you protect them or you let them off to the bingo game in the sky.
Fake news
The transformation to Donald is complete
You sound like a god damn Democrat
Yup. What happened to turn the Righteous Reaganite we all knew into a Nervous Nancy
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28778
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Mullet 2 »

Fûck you I’ll support bombing a middle eastern country right now
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 9509
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Leinsterman »

HighKingLeinster wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:14 pm This no pubs thing is getting tiresome. Reduced to having a can of Guinness now out of desperation :thumbdown:
Yeah I drove into Stoneybatter a short while ago. We decided to get a Dine at Home from L Mulligan Grocers. Stoneybatter was deathly quiet. Shame to see L Mulligan's so quiet.
Drinkstore across the way has people queuing outside while the guys get their beers for them because it's so cramped so they don't seem to be allowing shoppers inside.
Flew home because there were feck all traffic. I don't think I've ever seen the Phoenix Park so quiet on a Friday evening.
User avatar
HighKingLeinster
Posts: 21578
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:58 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by HighKingLeinster »

Mullet 2 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:30 pm Fûck you I’ll support bombing a middle eastern country right now
Please, anybody can bomb some infidelic shithole back to the stone age. Wheres your economic nous. Closing everything to protect oul wans who only drain the economy. Ronny would spin in his grave
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 9509
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Leinsterman »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:12 pm Be it leaks or kite flying, they need to stop, this shit with schools being the latest one. They're not good for the country
There's a different one every day now. This week has been particularly bad. So far:
1. Put the country in Level 5
2. Close the off-licences
3. Close the schools for a few extra weeks
I may have missed a few more kites/leaks
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 59509
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

Another good day for Dublin. Cork needs to get its act together.
User avatar
HighKingLeinster
Posts: 21578
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:58 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by HighKingLeinster »

Cark virus situation getting very dodge now. Dublin had a reasonable day :thumbup:
iarmhiman
Posts: 40130
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by iarmhiman »

Time to move Cork to level Ghetto
User avatar
HighKingLeinster
Posts: 21578
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:58 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by HighKingLeinster »

iarmhiman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:43 pm Time to move Cork to level Ghetto
dumb fùcks probably got jealous of Dublins numbers and are making a play for "the virus capital" title
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 40914
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by camroc1 »

HighKingLeinster wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:14 pm This no pubs thing is getting tiresome. Reduced to having a can of Guinness now out of desperation :thumbdown:
Taphouse doing take out of draught beers. :nod:
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 9509
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Leinsterman »

camroc1 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:52 pm
HighKingLeinster wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:14 pm This no pubs thing is getting tiresome. Reduced to having a can of Guinness now out of desperation :thumbdown:
Taphouse doing take out of draught beers. :nod:
Plastic receptacles with lids? (I refuse to say plastic glasses)
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 40914
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by camroc1 »

Leinsterman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:00 pm
camroc1 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:52 pm
HighKingLeinster wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:14 pm This no pubs thing is getting tiresome. Reduced to having a can of Guinness now out of desperation :thumbdown:
Taphouse doing take out of draught beers. :nod:
Plastic receptacles with lids? (I refuse to say plastic glasses)
Litre "growlers".
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 40914
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by camroc1 »

Leinsterman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:00 pm
camroc1 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:52 pm
HighKingLeinster wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:14 pm This no pubs thing is getting tiresome. Reduced to having a can of Guinness now out of desperation :thumbdown:
Taphouse doing take out of draught beers. :nod:
Plastic receptacles with lids? (I refuse to say plastic glasses)
Litre "growlers" (reusable bottles).
ticketlessinseattle
Posts: 8172
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: the Confederacy of Dunces

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Mullet 2 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:18 pm You can’t wall off over 70s and the sick

Simply can’t be done so either you protect them or you let them off to the bingo game in the sky.
88....two fat ladies ....
User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 32892
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by EverReady »

Nolanator wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:28 pm
EverReady wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:14 pm So what if it is rising exponentially or any of the nentiallys its killing fück all people. One of the reasons the ludicrous overreacting is happening is they didn't secure the normal flus vaccine pipeline and that's what they are really worried about
Why do you constantly ignore the fact that we don't know how many people it'll kill in three weeks?

I'm far from an alarmist lockdown fetishist, but it's well-established that the serious medical stuff lags the case increase by 2-3 weeks. The proportion of new cases over 65 is also creeping up, which is concerning, although it's still very much mostly young people.

Suggesting level 5 just because is a load of ask me bollocks, but your line of it being harmless is just as daft in the other direction.
Are you saying the next three weeks are critical?
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28778
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Mullet 2 »

ticketlessinseattle wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:13 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:18 pm You can’t wall off over 70s and the sick

Simply can’t be done so either you protect them or you let them off to the bingo game in the sky.
88....two fat ladies ....
Stay classy
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 9509
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Leinsterman »

camroc1 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:08 pm
Leinsterman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:00 pm
camroc1 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:52 pm
HighKingLeinster wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:14 pm This no pubs thing is getting tiresome. Reduced to having a can of Guinness now out of desperation :thumbdown:
Taphouse doing take out of draught beers. :nod:
Plastic receptacles with lids? (I refuse to say plastic glasses)
Litre "growlers" (reusable bottles).
Only a litre? The two litre ones are pretty cool. It's something that has been popular in other countries and was starting to take off here recently. I wonder if its popularity will increase with all these closures
Last edited by Leinsterman on Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
redderneck
Posts: 15148
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: We'll Never Forget You Geordan D'Arcy

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by redderneck »

This thread is no fun. It's like being back in Honour Maths. With a concussion.
iarmhiman
Posts: 40130
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by iarmhiman »

It was honours English i stil get nightmares about
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 14206
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Mullet 2 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:24 pm How so?

The pubs are open (eh unless you’re a nurse in a nursing home)

Go nuts at the gym lads (eh unless you’re a physio with older patients)

And what about all this mental health talk? Not impact older people no?

You lads are long on criticism and short on solutions
You could mention schools or whatever.

One section of society was picked out for abuse during the summer and was a waste of time. All of Europe has risen since the opening of schools but there’s a convenient excuse out there.

There are people who have not been able to work for 7 months now, not even given the opportunity to prove they can implement social distancing regulations.
User avatar
lilyw
Posts: 2877
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by lilyw »

camroc1 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:52 pm
Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:44 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:28 pm
Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:26 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:20 pm Michael McNamara’s Covid committee heavily hinting a decision was made not to transfer patients from nursing homes to hospitals.

In affect triaging then. If this decision is traced back to Harris he might not be such a darling of Twitter
That would be up to their doctors. It was discussed extensively at the time.
It basically never happened

Claiming that was down to doctors in nursing homes is stretching a bit
Shoving 90 year olds into ICU in general doesn't make much medical sense, as was discussed extensively at the time.
Shoving 90 year olds with several comorbidities into Icu makes no sense at all.
I hadn't pegged you for a Gino Kenny fan.
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 9509
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Leinsterman »

iarmhiman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:31 pm It was honours English i stil get nightmares about
Yeah me too. Maybe because we're technically minded.
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 14206
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Duff Paddy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:43 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:18 pm You can’t wall off over 70s and the sick

Simply can’t be done so either you protect them or you let them off to the bingo game in the sky.
Fake news
Walling them off for a year ass never sustainable but for 3 month is as sustainable as is Zero Covid, but the latter gets credible media coverage whilst the latter is claimed as insane.
User avatar
alliswell
Posts: 10383
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: location, location

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by alliswell »

Leinsterman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:38 pm
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:12 pm Be it leaks or kite flying, they need to stop, this shit with schools being the latest one. They're not good for the country
There's a different one every day now. This week has been particularly bad. So far:
1. Put the country in Level 5
2. Close the off-licences
3. Close the schools for a few extra weeks
I may have missed a few more kites/leaks
There were a few more mentioned in the FG press confer... sorry, parliamentary party meeting during the week. Possibility of a future "circuit breaker" lockdown, plans for reform of NPHET by reconstitution the emergency coordination group. FG working those press contacts hard this weather.
Nolanator
Posts: 38535
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Nolanator »

HighKingLeinster wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:14 pm This no pubs thing is getting tiresome. Reduced to having a can of Guinness now out of desperation :thumbdown:
South William Street was hopping tonight. Wouldn't know that there's a pandemic. Although everywhere is empty inside.
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28778
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Mullet 2 »

WTF is with RTE and TG4 and history documentaries? 2000 years of written history about Ireland and everything is about the war of Independence.
themaddog
Posts: 4776
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by themaddog »

Jim Lahey wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:29 pm
cfm93 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:12 pm
Nolanator wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:25 pm >1k cases in NI announced today. Jaysis. Mind you, no deaths.

Fúcking hell, Derry & Strabane with >600/100k.
It's >800/100k now.
No doubt Derry people are whinging about this being someone else’s fault.
The GAA closed up shop probably just in time to avoid being directly blamed for this.
Is it true that you mad fúcks are letting spectators attend the chavball on Sunday?
Post Reply