Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
Duff Paddy

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

The Sun God wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:11 am
camroc1 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:26 pm
The Sun God wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:18 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:57 pm Have they lifted the ban on travel to USA TSG or are you an American citizen?
I got an NIE ( National interest exemption) visa . Long story but it was to do with the 9/11 commemoration last weekend.
You were working down Wall St way on 9/11, weren't you ?
The trading floor I was based in at that time was actually in the South tower.... I was at a breakfast meeting in Midtown that morning but normally would have been at my desk two hours before the event.
Some of the documentaries released for the 20th anniversary of the attack have been really excellent. The Netflix one goes through a digestible version of the history of Afghanistan and AQ which is crucial but it’s a shame that they only went as far back as the Russian invasion.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

Duff Paddy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:09 pm
anonymous_joe wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:41 am
CM11 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:12 am So Squirrel Scramble out of business. Another fantastic outdoor facility, primarily for children, closed thanks to the litigation industry.

I reckon as penance, AJ and chums should take it upon themselves to entertain our children at the weekends given they're making sure there's nothing fun for them to do anymore.
Is this one of those classic insurance payouts have been steady for the last 10 years but our premium went up 300%?

Who could be the problem there? :roll:
No dipshit it’s yet another international insurer leaving the Irish market because it’s not a safe place to do business with out crazy legal system
The legal system that has seen the rate and amounts of payouts remain steady but the premium rates wildly varying over time?

Yeah, the lawyers were the problem all around. Keep swallowing those insurance loads. :lol:
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

The Sun God wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:09 pm
anonymous_joe wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:51 am On a separate note, how serious is this China shíte at the moment?

I know their economy has been somewhat artificially described for the last few years, but is this a blip or something more severe?
It's certainly a warning shot across the bow of their model which encourages debt as a means of increasing GDP. The property sector accounts for over 20% of Chinese GDP and needs exponential increases in lending to effect annual change on their overall GDP.
While Evergrande is only half the size Lehman's were and could be bailed out at the stroke of a pen, it would signify a policy failure of large proportions for Xi Jinping and Chinese politicos don't usual come out the far end of losing so much face.
From memory 15% or so is in and around the optimum level of construction sector as a function of GDP?

The obvious issue with Evergrande is presumably that if one is falling others might be teetering. A Chinese recession would be a scary thing for the world.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

anonymous_joe wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:22 pm
anonymous_joe wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:51 am On a separate note, how serious is this China shíte at the moment?

I know their economy has been somewhat artificially described for the last few years, but is this a blip or something more severe?
It's certainly a warning shot across the bow of their model which encourages debt as a means of increasing GDP. The property sector accounts for over 20% of Chinese GDP and needs exponential increases in lending to effect annual change on their overall GDP.
While Evergrande is only half the size Lehman's were and could be bailed out at the stroke of a pen, it would signify a policy failure of large proportions for Xi Jinping and Chinese politicos don't usual come out the far end of losing so much face.
From memory 15% or so is in and around the optimum level of construction sector as a function of GDP?

The obvious issue with Evergrande is presumably that if one is falling others might be teetering. A Chinese recession would be a scary thing for the world.
America sneezes, we catch cold.

China sneezes, we catch pandemic.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

anonymous_joe wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:21 pm
CM11 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:12 am So Squirrel Scramble out of business. Another fantastic outdoor facility, primarily for children, closed thanks to the litigation industry.

I reckon as penance, AJ and chums should take it upon themselves to entertain our children at the weekends given they're making sure there's nothing fun for them to do anymore.
Is this one of those classic insurance payouts have been steady for the last 10 years but our premium went up 300%?

No dipshit it’s yet another international insurer leaving the Irish market because it’s not a safe place to do business with out crazy legal system
The legal system that has seen the rate and amounts of payouts remain steady but the premium rates wildly varying over time?

Yeah, the lawyers were the problem all around. Keep swallowing those insurance loads. :lol:
Yeah that’s it AJ, they’re leaving the Irish market because they’re making too much money.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:57 pm

Yeah that’s it AJ, they’re leaving the Irish market because they’re making too much money.
Probably feeling guilty about all the money they've made of gullible Irish businesses.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

anonymous_joe wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:22 pm

That would be about right as anything above that exposes all sectors of the economy in the event of a downturn or indeed a default. It also opens up an economy to the realms of debt spirals trying to maintain such a large percentage of GDP on individual borrowing.
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

the shit fight between France and US/Aus is no small matter either ; China and Russia must be loving it
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

USA to lift travel ban. Thank fudge
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

The Sun God wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:11 am
camroc1 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:26 pm
The Sun God wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:18 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:57 pm Have they lifted the ban on travel to USA TSG or are you an American citizen?
I got an NIE ( National interest exemption) visa . Long story but it was to do with the 9/11 commemoration last weekend.
You were working down Wall St way on 9/11, weren't you ?
The trading floor I was based in at that time was actually in the South tower.... I was at a breakfast meeting in Midtown that morning but normally would have been at my desk two hours before the event.
My cousin missed it by a week or so, was a tax consultant.
Went to work with migrants.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

CM11 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:05 pm

Probably feeling guilty about all the money they've made of gullible Irish businesses.
They're leaving because of the new liquidity rules.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

It's either a cash cow for them or not. You seem to think it is.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

anonymous_joe wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:12 pm
CM11 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:05 pm

They're leaving because of the new liquidity rules.
As are International banks.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Before I hit the sack..... who is this then https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/c ... 71611.html

17 try boy perhaps ????
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Going by the big hint in that article I think we’ll all have to mull that one over, allegedly allegedly
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:49 am Going by the big hint in that article I think we’ll all have to mull that one over, allegedly allegedly
Pretty clear who’s at the centre of their investigation alright
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:49 am Going by the big hint in that article I think we’ll all have to mull that one over, allegedly allegedly
Indeed......
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Conspicuous wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:01 am
Pretty clear who’s at the centre of their investigation alright
:lol:
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Ah, it's been discussed here. Yeah seems he'd been caught out for being a naughty boy in the past, assuming it's the same person.
normilet

Post by normilet »

Morning gents.

https://www.independent.ie/business/per ... 71403.html
Renters were promised changes introduced in the summer would lead to lower rent increases under his rent pressure zone legislation.

A change was made where annual rent rises are now based on inflation instead of set caps.

But since then, the inflation rate used to determine rents in rent pressure zones (RPZs) has shot up to 3pc.

Rents in RPZs can only rise in line with the Harmonised Index of Consumer Prices (HICP) – a standardised measure of inflation used across the EU.

But the latest figures for the HICP show it rose to 3pc in August, a 13-year high..
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

CM11 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:49 pm It's either a cash cow for them or not. You seem to think it is.
Where did I say it was or wasn't a cashcow?

I said that the amount of money being paid out was relatively constant (and in slight decline) whilst premiums had trended up hugely.

As Sun God points out, banks are leaving here too.

New liquidity rules plus tighter leashes for Irish entities because of their previous incompetence aren't unique to banking.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

anonymous_joe wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:07 am
CM11 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:49 pm It's either a cash cow for them or not. You seem to think it is.
Where did I say it was or wasn't a cashcow?

I said that the amount of money being paid out was relatively constant (and in slight decline) whilst premiums had trended up hugely.

As Sun God points out, banks are leaving here too.

New liquidity rules plus tighter leashes for Irish entities because of their previous incompetence aren't unique to banking.
Do you have the stats that are specific to leisure activities to hand? Or have you bundled all personal injury into one?
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

Nope.

The only people who have such stats are the insurance companies, and for some reason they've never been willing to publish the data that would prove they were telling the truth.

One wonders why. :lol:
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

anonymous_joe wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:20 am Nope.

The only people who have such stats are the insurance companies, and for some reason they've never been willing to publish the data that would prove they were telling the truth.

One wonders why. :lol:
Clearly they've taken legal advice.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

It's actually one of the things they were being investigated for by the EU in relation to competition law. They wouldn't let new entrants to the market have access to the data.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

If the risk was easy to quantify, there wouldn't be fúck off quotes from insurance companies. It's not so we have jobs lost and fewer places for children to go for organised activity.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

CM11 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:47 pm If the risk was easy to quantify, there wouldn't be fúck off quotes from insurance companies. It's not so we have jobs lost and fewer places for children to go for organised activity.
Well that's just desperately sad. Do you genuinely believe this sort of rubbish?

As I keep telling you, the level of claims and payouts remains broadly steady and in slight decline.

Damages are not a secret, they're very easy to predict. They have never been the problem, you've been fed bullshit by the insurance industry and are too weak and proud to admit that.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Conspicuous wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:47 pm Mullin charged
https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/092 ... zg83mQAc6g
Silly silly man. I know he has had some mental health issues over the years but i guess we now know where they might have emanated from .
CM11

Post by CM11 »

anonymous_joe wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:02 pm
CM11 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:47 pm If the risk was easy to quantify, there wouldn't be fúck off quotes from insurance companies. It's not so we have jobs lost and fewer places for children to go for organised activity.
Well that's just desperately sad. Do you genuinely believe this sort of rubbish?

As I keep telling you, the level of claims and payouts remains broadly steady and in slight decline.

Damages are not a secret, they're very easy to predict. They have never been the problem, you've been fed bullshit by the insurance industry and are too weak and proud to admit that.
So insurance companies are turning down free money?
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

CM11 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:10 pm

How many times do you need it explained to you that the problem is to do with new regulatory and liquidity requirements and nothing to do with the cost of providing insurance itself?
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

anonymous_joe wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:03 pm

How many times do you need it explained to you that the problem is to do with new regulatory and liquidity requirements and nothing to do with the cost of providing insurance itself?
Well liquidity and regulatory requirements are a direct consequence of various shenanigans of some players in the sector over the years. Are they really more onerous than in other countries, in any case?

If there is money to be made, then surely companies would want to set up here? If they don't want to do that, it suggests that money isn't to be made (and given our very high premiums that would suggest we also have very high costs), or that there are other barriers to entry. If you were looking at it hyopthetically I suppose that could include cartel-like behaviour or other impediments.
In that hypothetical scenario though, you'd imagine that other would be competitors would cry foul pretty quickly....
CM11

Post by CM11 »

So insurance companies are hiking up prices solely to cover regulatory and liquidity requirements? Why would they need to be pulling any wool over anyone's eyes then, as you are suggesting? By your own logic your rant about increased premiums while payouts remain the same is just a rant because the premium increases are just covering costs.
themaddog

Post by themaddog »

Now might be a good time to submit that application to complete Lansdowne Road.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

themaddog wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:55 pm
Now might be a good time to submit that application to complete Lansdowne Road.
:lol:

Must admit - I pegged him as the (alleged) wrong sort from the day he started that NIMBY shiteology.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

DeDoc wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:10 pm

Well liquidity and regulatory requirements are a direct consequence of various shenanigans of some players in the sector over the years. Are they really more onerous than in other countries, in any case?

If there is money to be made, then surely companies would want to set up here? If they don't want to do that, it suggests that money isn't to be made (and given our very high premiums that would suggest we also have very high costs), or that there are other barriers to entry. If you were looking at it hyopthetically I suppose that could include cartel-like behaviour or other impediments.
In that hypothetical scenario though, you'd imagine that other would be competitors would cry foul pretty quickly....
Considerably more. Why do you think banks are handing their licenses over like a bunch of drunks in the traffic court ?
Miguel Indurain

Post by Miguel Indurain »

[quote="The Sun God ]
And I say this as a man who lost his Father last month contracting Covid in hospital having been admitted for something totally non related.
[/quote]

I realise that this is a bit late, but I was to express my condolences to you TSG and your family on your sad loss.

I know from reading your posts over the years here that you and your dad were very close. So my thoughts and prayers are with ye at this sad time.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Miguel Indurain wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:44 pm [quote="The Sun God ]
And I say this as a man who lost his Father last month contracting Covid in hospital having been admitted for something totally non related.

I realise that this is a bit late, but I was to express my condolences to you TSG and your family on your sad loss.

I know from reading your posts over the years here that you and your dad were very close. So my thoughts and prayers are with ye at this sad time.
[/quote]

Cheers Willie..... very kind of you and much appreciated sir.
Miguel Indurain

Post by Miguel Indurain »

camroc1 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:12 pm
CM11 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:00 pm
nardol wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:10 pm
HighKingLeinster wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:42 pm So what odds on McSharry jumping to SF?
just wants to keep the paycheck rolling in.

Nobody that genuinely cares about Ireland would want Coveney gone. He is the only effin statesman from our pool of insane TDs
It was interesting to see all the Indos join in. Losing McSharry is a blow but this wasn't the close call SF were hoping for.
Not even near.
And MacSharry has shot his bolt.
Martin will be happy.
I met MacSharry in Sligo three weeks by accident and not by design.
When he was studying in UCD, he was renting in Terenure so I knew him back then. Anyway myself and Mrs D. were looking to have a nightcap and we ended up in this boozer called the Railway Bar.

MacSharry was in there, and the place was dead. But he recognised me and we had no choice but to have a chat.
Marc was plastered. There's a lot going on there. Messy divorce. And his dad is married to a woman who's Marc's age!
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

The 1987 Budget was shrewd though tbf.