Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
User avatar
anonymous_joe
Posts: 16091
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by anonymous_joe »

The Sun God wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:40 am
anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:38 am Setanta were Maltese. ;)
But run by Irish incompetents.
I know, one of my mates was in one of the main challenges to the MIBI over Setanta. Absolutely disgraceful shower.
User avatar
anonymous_joe
Posts: 16091
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by anonymous_joe »

DeDoc wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:00 pm
anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:37 am
The cost of claims per policy has fallen though, so any increase per claim is offset by an overall reduction in claims.

The big area that causes problems for them is medical negligence, not PI. But they don't want to admit that, because it's all too often babies who are the victims.
Yes, obviously the insurance companies have been creaming it, because it is cheaper on average per policy, but the injury awards appear to be rising.
The article you linked is specifically about motor insurance, so I don't get the relevance of medical negligence
Med neg is the real issue at the heart of all of this.

It's actually a problem with the State, but the insurers often end up footing the bill, or part of the bill, and those are now costing millions as cost of private care goes up and up.
Nolanator
Posts: 40271
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Nolanator »

28k tests to return 4.5% positivity.

Money well spent. :uhoh:
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 42222
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:25 pm
DeDoc wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:00 pm
anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:37 am
The cost of claims per policy has fallen though, so any increase per claim is offset by an overall reduction in claims.

The big area that causes problems for them is medical negligence, not PI. But they don't want to admit that, because it's all too often babies who are the victims.
Yes, obviously the insurance companies have been creaming it, because it is cheaper on average per policy, but the injury awards appear to be rising.
The article you linked is specifically about motor insurance, so I don't get the relevance of medical negligence
Med neg is the real issue at the heart of all of this.

It's actually a problem with the State, but the insurers often end up footing the bill, or part of the bill, and those are now costing millions as cost of private care goes up and up.
Or the cost that the judge plucks out of his arse as the case is
ticketlessinseattle
Posts: 10174
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: the Confederacy of Dunces

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Chilky wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:23 am Sorry for jumping in here - I rarely post but I do know a bit about the Insurance side.

1. Operating Ratio.
The % of claims is sort of irrelevant as what you are more concerned with is their operating ratio - the amount they spend on everything - losses, claims, payroll, rent etc. A good company will run around 90% meaning that for every 100 dollars they take as premiums - they spend 90 on paying out and staying running. Obviously they then make 10 in profit.
Where this becomes a pain is where you have large insurance companies that run with an Operating Ratio of 102. While this is non-sensical in real terms, what they do is take your 100 dollars on Jan 1 and then hope that their investments team will make enough during the year to cover the additional 2 dollars. You can see the obvious flaw here over the past few years. This isn't to excuse any company running a ratio in excess of 100 - sometimes its because a company has decided to grow - but in a lot of cases its simply due to poor management.

2. Regulations / Liquidity
In my 30+ years experience of this industry in Ireland, it's not always been the most sensibly managed or well run. Companies did not maintain sufficient reserving, capacity or foresight to adequately model what their future payouts would be. As such they have now overcompensated and are insisting that liquidity ratios are far higher than ever. This is partly driven by Regulators - but also by the fact that a lot of them don't really know what they are doing and haven't got a nuanced enough view of risk capacity.
in your face AJ !
DeDoc
Posts: 1659
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by DeDoc »

anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:25 pmMed neg is the real issue at the heart of all of this.

It's actually a problem with the State, but the insurers often end up footing the bill, or part of the bill, and those are now costing millions as cost of private care goes up and up.
I really can't follow your train of thought here?
Are you saying we have widespread medical neglicence and that is why costs are rising? In contested claims, don't the insurers have medical people who examine the injured party with regard to damage? Can't they find people to do this honestly for their side?

The Troika had a lot to say about this topic back after the crash

https://www.thejournal.ie/euroleaks-tro ... 6-Jan2013/
https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/0 ... left-daly/
User avatar
anonymous_joe
Posts: 16091
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by anonymous_joe »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:44 pm
anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:25 pm
DeDoc wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:00 pm
anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:37 am
The cost of claims per policy has fallen though, so any increase per claim is offset by an overall reduction in claims.

The big area that causes problems for them is medical negligence, not PI. But they don't want to admit that, because it's all too often babies who are the victims.
Yes, obviously the insurance companies have been creaming it, because it is cheaper on average per policy, but the injury awards appear to be rising.
The article you linked is specifically about motor insurance, so I don't get the relevance of medical negligence
Med neg is the real issue at the heart of all of this.

It's actually a problem with the State, but the insurers often end up footing the bill, or part of the bill, and those are now costing millions as cost of private care goes up and up.
Or the cost that the judge plucks out of his arse as the case is
You really haven't a clue. :lol:
User avatar
anonymous_joe
Posts: 16091
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by anonymous_joe »

DeDoc wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:46 pm
anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:25 pmMed neg is the real issue at the heart of all of this.

It's actually a problem with the State, but the insurers often end up footing the bill, or part of the bill, and those are now costing millions as cost of private care goes up and up.
I really can't follow your train of thought here?
Are you saying we have widespread medical neglicence and that is why costs are rising? In contested claims, don't the insurers have medical people who examine the injured party with regard to damage? Can't they find people to do this honestly for their side?

The Troika had a lot to say about this topic back after the crash

https://www.thejournal.ie/euroleaks-tro ... 6-Jan2013/
https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/0 ... left-daly/
I heard recently that more money is spent defending catastrophic injury birth cases than is spent on the births themselves.

Effectively, if your child is mangled at birth and you require significant care for the rest of your life, it has to be provided privately, so it costs a fortune.
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 44376
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by camroc1 »

anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:18 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:44 pm
anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:25 pm
DeDoc wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:00 pm
anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:37 am
The cost of claims per policy has fallen though, so any increase per claim is offset by an overall reduction in claims.

The big area that causes problems for them is medical negligence, not PI. But they don't want to admit that, because it's all too often babies who are the victims.
Yes, obviously the insurance companies have been creaming it, because it is cheaper on average per policy, but the injury awards appear to be rising.
The article you linked is specifically about motor insurance, so I don't get the relevance of medical negligence
Med neg is the real issue at the heart of all of this.

It's actually a problem with the State, but the insurers often end up footing the bill, or part of the bill, and those are now costing millions as cost of private care goes up and up.
Or the cost that the judge plucks out of his arse as the case is
You really haven't a clue. :lol:
Remember our brief discussion a few weeks ago AJ, where you pooh poohed the idea of judges needing a separate education than standard lawyer training and professional experience.

Well guess what ?

Judges are now to undergo separate education including, inter alia, ethics ( :lol: ), unconscious bias, and how to treat witnesses.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-a ... -1.4676043

How wrong can you be ?
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 44376
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by camroc1 »

anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:19 pm
DeDoc wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:46 pm
anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:25 pmMed neg is the real issue at the heart of all of this.

It's actually a problem with the State, but the insurers often end up footing the bill, or part of the bill, and those are now costing millions as cost of private care goes up and up.
I really can't follow your train of thought here?
Are you saying we have widespread medical neglicence and that is why costs are rising? In contested claims, don't the insurers have medical people who examine the injured party with regard to damage? Can't they find people to do this honestly for their side?

The Troika had a lot to say about this topic back after the crash

https://www.thejournal.ie/euroleaks-tro ... 6-Jan2013/
https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/0 ... left-daly/
I heard recently that more money is spent defending catastrophic injury birth cases than is spent on the births themselves.

Effectively, if your child is mangled at birth and you require significant care for the rest of your life, it has to be provided privately, so it costs a fortune.
How emotive.

Most cases of catastrophic birth defects/death are just unfortunate, ie the presence of a medical team could not have changed events. Childbirth is a dangerous natural event. The legal profession seems to be of the opinion that childbirth is not in itself dangerous.

Their legal knowledge seems to trump actual medical fact in courts of law.

How unusual.
User avatar
anonymous_joe
Posts: 16091
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by anonymous_joe »

camroc1 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:09 pm
Remember our brief discussion a few weeks ago AJ, where you pooh poohed the idea of judges needing a separate education than standard lawyer training and professional experience.

Well guess what ?

Judges are now to undergo separate education including, inter alia, ethics ( :lol: ), unconscious bias, and how to treat witnesses.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-a ... -1.4676043

How wrong can you be ?
How am I wrong?

I said they didn't need it, and I stand by it. Gearty J is bloody good at that sort of thing, but if a judge needs that training after 20 years of practice they don't deserve to be a judge.

Just noticed your second post. Christ.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 42222
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:44 pm

I said they didn't need it, and I stand by it. Gearty J is bloody good at that sort of thing, but if a judge needs that training after 20 years of practice they don't deserve to be a judge.
In a long line of dumb posts this is probably your dumbest
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 64696
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:18 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:44 pm
anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:25 pm
DeDoc wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:00 pm
anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:37 am
The cost of claims per policy has fallen though, so any increase per claim is offset by an overall reduction in claims.

The big area that causes problems for them is medical negligence, not PI. But they don't want to admit that, because it's all too often babies who are the victims.
Yes, obviously the insurance companies have been creaming it, because it is cheaper on average per policy, but the injury awards appear to be rising.
The article you linked is specifically about motor insurance, so I don't get the relevance of medical negligence
Med neg is the real issue at the heart of all of this.

It's actually a problem with the State, but the insurers often end up footing the bill, or part of the bill, and those are now costing millions as cost of private care goes up and up.
Or the cost that the judge plucks out of his arse as the case is
You really haven't a clue. :lol:
We're in good company.
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 44376
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by camroc1 »

anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:44 pm
camroc1 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:09 pm
Remember our brief discussion a few weeks ago AJ, where you pooh poohed the idea of judges needing a separate education than standard lawyer training and professional experience.

Well guess what ?

Judges are now to undergo separate education including, inter alia, ethics ( :lol: ), unconscious bias, and how to treat witnesses.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-a ... -1.4676043

How wrong can you be ?
How am I wrong?

I said they didn't need it, and I stand by it. Gearty J is bloody good at that sort of thing, but if a judge needs that training after 20 years of practice they don't deserve to be a judge.

Just noticed your second post. Christ.
Wrong in the being actually wrong sense.

Wrong in the fact that Judges are now getting a specific judicial education that you said they did not need.

ie Wrong.

I can accept the fact that you will have an argument that this does not mean legally wrong.

But, then, you're a lawyer.

(And as for your comments that PI insurance costs lawyers € 200 per professional; consulting engineers pay about € 3,000 per professional. Thanks for nothing.)
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 44376
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by camroc1 »

Now, now.

Why don't the IT name the ethnic group (who fought hard to differentiate themselves thus) responsible for this carnage ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-a ... -1.4681244

Answers on a postcard to............
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 42222
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

camroc1 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:27 am
anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:44 pm
camroc1 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:09 pm
Remember our brief discussion a few weeks ago AJ, where you pooh poohed the idea of judges needing a separate education than standard lawyer training and professional experience.

Well guess what ?

Judges are now to undergo separate education including, inter alia, ethics ( :lol: ), unconscious bias, and how to treat witnesses.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-a ... -1.4676043

How wrong can you be ?
How am I wrong?

I said they didn't need it, and I stand by it. Gearty J is bloody good at that sort of thing, but if a judge needs that training after 20 years of practice they don't deserve to be a judge.

Just noticed your second post. Christ.
Wrong in the being actually wrong sense.

Wrong in the fact that Judges are now getting a specific judicial education that you said they did not need.

ie Wrong.

I can accept the fact that you will have an argument that this does not mean legally wrong.

But, then, you're a lawyer.

(And as for your comments that PI insurance costs lawyers € 200 per professional; consulting engineers pay about € 3,000 per professional. Thanks for nothing.)
:lol: unlucky AJ
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 42222
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

It’s actually a good point about indemnity costs. Barristers costs are extremely low compared to the likes of engineers and medics. Once upon a time we all had reasonable indemnity policies like that, lucky them eh.
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 16465
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Barrister's Immunity, a thrilling topic. My first ever legal essay in college and what an essay it was too.
User avatar
redderneck
Posts: 16356
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: We'll Never Forget You Geordan D'Arcy

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by redderneck »

FFS.

If you can remember your first ever essay in college, you weren't doing it right.
User avatar
anonymous_joe
Posts: 16091
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by anonymous_joe »

camroc1 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:27 am
anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:44 pm
camroc1 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:09 pm
Remember our brief discussion a few weeks ago AJ, where you pooh poohed the idea of judges needing a separate education than standard lawyer training and professional experience.

Well guess what ?

Judges are now to undergo separate education including, inter alia, ethics ( :lol: ), unconscious bias, and how to treat witnesses.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-a ... -1.4676043

How wrong can you be ?
How am I wrong?

I said they didn't need it, and I stand by it. Gearty J is bloody good at that sort of thing, but if a judge needs that training after 20 years of practice they don't deserve to be a judge.

Just noticed your second post. Christ.
Wrong in the being actually wrong sense.

Wrong in the fact that Judges are now getting a specific judicial education that you said they did not need.

ie Wrong.

I can accept the fact that you will have an argument that this does not mean legally wrong.

But, then, you're a lawyer.

(And as for your comments that PI insurance costs lawyers € 200 per professional; consulting engineers pay about € 3,000 per professional. Thanks for nothing.)
If you're made go on a health and safety course to teach you not to spill hot drinks, did you need to go on the course?
User avatar
anonymous_joe
Posts: 16091
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by anonymous_joe »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:25 am Barrister's Immunity, a thrilling topic. My first ever legal essay in college and what an essay it was too.
Sadly, it was cruelly taken away from us at trial now. An English barrister started ranting at a judge and calling him biased before the trial had started apparently. :lol:
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 64696
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

INTO having a mini tantrum at the new measures to avoid loads of children unnecessarily missing out on loads of schooling. Hilariously defending their stance by pretending it's the children they care about.
Nolanator
Posts: 40271
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Nolanator »

redderneck wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:26 am FFS.

If you can remember your first ever essay in college, you weren't doing it right.
Never did a college essay. :smug:

Although I distinctly remember finishing handwritten physics lab reports on a packed morning Dart, standing and writing against the window.
Fun times. :uhoh:
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 16465
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

redderneck wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:26 am FFS.

If you can remember your first ever essay in college, you weren't doing it right.
I couldn't remember many others tbh. Easy enough to remember the first one, it was completely new doing it so it sticks with you. You also don't forget some of the bellend lecturers ("characters") that you get in UCD Law and the stuff they get fixated on. My first ever law lecture was Constitutional Law with Rossa Fanning (now a SC). He did not introduce or welcome anyone but started in on the dot with a novel like description of CC v Ireland, describing the barristers features, the atmosphere in the court etc. I couldn't tell you much about the Quinn Business School early lecturers as they were normal...

Moreover, my effort levels in college went from a mid to low as the years progressed.
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 16465
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Nolanator wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:41 am
redderneck wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:26 am FFS.

If you can remember your first ever essay in college, you weren't doing it right.
Never did a college essay. :smug:

Although I distinctly remember finishing handwritten physics lab reports on a packed morning Dart, standing and writing against the window.
Fun times. :uhoh:
That's why I'm glad I didn't so something sciencey, I couldn't hack the daily reports. Much prefer the 24 sweat to get an essay done or cram for an exam.
User avatar
anonymous_joe
Posts: 16091
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by anonymous_joe »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:51 am
redderneck wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:26 am FFS.

If you can remember your first ever essay in college, you weren't doing it right.
I couldn't remember many others tbh. Easy enough to remember the first one, it was completely new doing it so it sticks with you. You also don't forget some of the bellend lecturers ("characters") that you get in UCD Law and the stuff they get fixated on. My first ever law lecture was Constitutional Law with Rossa Fanning (now a SC). He did not introduce or welcome anyone but started in on the dot with a novel like description of CC v Ireland, describing the barristers features, the atmosphere in the court etc. I couldn't tell you much about the Quinn Business School early lecturers as they were normal...

Moreover, my effort levels in college went from a mid to low as the years progressed.
He's a good raconteur when he fancies it, is Mr Fanning. Nice fella too, in fairness.
DeDoc
Posts: 1659
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by DeDoc »

President of DCU weighing in on the governments housing for all plan.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/e ... 80643.html

Given that the crisis is most acute in Dublin, and that all the HEIs have significant amounts of land, is there an obvious (partial) solution staring us in the face.

Give all the HEIs a significant injection of funds to build student accommodation on their lands - in return for which the rents are set at an affordable level with rent increases capped at CPI levels. You could allocate (some of) the ongoing revenue to them as well, which would go a long way to solving the higher education funding crisis.
User avatar
anonymous_joe
Posts: 16091
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by anonymous_joe »

None of them have sufficient land for that kind of plan.

Most accommodation is designed to milk foreign students anyway.
DeDoc
Posts: 1659
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by DeDoc »

anonymous_joe wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:08 pm None of them have sufficient land for that kind of plan.

Most accommodation is designed to milk foreign students anyway.
They all have land. Might need a little bit of imagination planning wise - let them go an extra few floors.

Most university accommodation built in the last 30 years is built under deals with the builders - they build, maintain and keep the revenue for 20 or so years before transferring to the university. Sometimes its part of a bigger deal where other buildings are constructed at the same time and at lower cost than they would be in a standalone deal. Its madness, but if you starve the instutions of money, it doesn't leave much choice. If you asked any president to sign a 100 year contract to provide 2000 beds for students on a non-profit basis, if you guaranteed the project they'd bit your hand off.
Rent levels and availability of places to live, not to mention cost of living are creating huge problems in the sector. I'm sure if you asked Nols he'd be able to tell stories of PhD student, post-docs or academic staff who accept or start positions and then pull out when they realise the reality of trying to live in Dublin.
User avatar
paddyor
Posts: 19615
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by paddyor »

Leinsterman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:52 pm
paddyor wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:34 pm @Leinsterman (apologies if I've msised this)

A lot of talk about us not having enough power generation because we closed the peat plants(we're importing peat now apparently). Maybe it was ages ago and a lot oftime has passed, but did you not say we have loads of generation capactiy? Intel has weighed in ow as well.
At the time we did but, as you say, the peat plants have now closed, Moneypoint is not running at full capacity and both Whitegate and one of the Huntstown plants are offline for long term repairs. Once Whitegate and HPC are back, a lot of strain on the system will be relieved.
Whitegate had a loose part shred the turbine and Huntstown had to get a new transformer apparently. They're not the sort of thing that can be rustled up and replaced in a couple of weeks.
Another issue had been the fact that a lot of data centres have been built in the last couple of years as well.
Some peaking plants wouldn't go astray.
:thumbup:

I’d imagine the supply chain issues plaguing the world economy aren’t helping.
User avatar
normilet
Posts: 2650
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by normilet »

Ballpark, how much are we talking for resi asbestos removal these days?
User avatar
feckwanker
Posts: 8434
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by feckwanker »

normilet wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:15 am Ballpark, how much are we talking for resi asbestos removal these days?
What type?

We had roof tiles removed (albeit from a large roof) - it cost over 10 grand.
User avatar
normilet
Posts: 2650
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by normilet »

feckwanker wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:27 am
normilet wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:15 am Ballpark, how much are we talking for resi asbestos removal these days?
What type?

We had roof tiles removed (albeit from a large roof) - it cost over 10 grand.
No idea, structural survey guy said there's asbestos in a boiler house that I'm looking to get demolished anyway, the thing is only the size of a portaloo so I imagine there's a small bit in the roof alright.

Edit: over 10k??

On a completely unrelated note, AJ, what's the maximum fine/penalty for dumping asbestos in some wasteland, like Bray or something?
ticketlessinseattle
Posts: 10174
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: the Confederacy of Dunces

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

paddyor wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:55 pm
Leinsterman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:52 pm
paddyor wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:34 pm @Leinsterman (apologies if I've msised this)

A lot of talk about us not having enough power generation because we closed the peat plants(we're importing peat now apparently). Maybe it was ages ago and a lot oftime has passed, but did you not say we have loads of generation capactiy? Intel has weighed in ow as well.
At the time we did but, as you say, the peat plants have now closed, Moneypoint is not running at full capacity and both Whitegate and one of the Huntstown plants are offline for long term repairs. Once Whitegate and HPC are back, a lot of strain on the system will be relieved.
Whitegate had a loose part shred the turbine and Huntstown had to get a new transformer apparently. They're not the sort of thing that can be rustled up and replaced in a couple of weeks.
Another issue had been the fact that a lot of data centres have been built in the last couple of years as well.
Some peaking plants wouldn't go astray.
:thumbup:

I’d imagine the supply chain issues plaguing the world economy aren’t helping.
article a couple of weeks back about the huge drain on the national grid that data centers are creating ; cant remember the % of total power but it was a eye watering amount - think it was coming into focus with Amazon (?) planing another huge one ; apparently there's discussions at government level about the possibility of blackouts - data centers apparently create feck all jobs but it probably comes with the carrot/stick of all the other jobs FANGs create
User avatar
anonymous_joe
Posts: 16091
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by anonymous_joe »

normilet wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:45 am
feckwanker wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:27 am
normilet wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:15 am Ballpark, how much are we talking for resi asbestos removal these days?
What type?

We had roof tiles removed (albeit from a large roof) - it cost over 10 grand.
No idea, structural survey guy said there's asbestos in a boiler house that I'm looking to get demolished anyway, the thing is only the size of a portaloo so I imagine there's a small bit in the roof alright.

Edit: over 10k??

On a completely unrelated note, AJ, what's the maximum fine/penalty for dumping asbestos in some wasteland, like Bray or something?
Prison, in extremis.

If dumped it can cost even more because you then have to find it. Vicious stuff.

I know a solicitor in Bray who went after somebody for doing something quite similar.
User avatar
normilet
Posts: 2650
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by normilet »

anonymous_joe wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:45 am
normilet wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:45 am
feckwanker wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:27 am
normilet wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:15 am Ballpark, how much are we talking for resi asbestos removal these days?
What type?

We had roof tiles removed (albeit from a large roof) - it cost over 10 grand.
No idea, structural survey guy said there's asbestos in a boiler house that I'm looking to get demolished anyway, the thing is only the size of a portaloo so I imagine there's a small bit in the roof alright.

Edit: over 10k??

On a completely unrelated note, AJ, what's the maximum fine/penalty for dumping asbestos in some wasteland, like Bray or something?
Prison, in extremis.

If dumped it can cost even more because you then have to find it. Vicious stuff.

I know a solicitor in Bray who went after somebody for doing something quite similar.
Hmm, got it, so not Bray then.

Ah well, I'd expected something like this to happen so I can swallow the cost, to be expected in a fixer-upper I guess.
User avatar
anonymous_joe
Posts: 16091
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by anonymous_joe »

Make sure your builder is trustworthy too. Some cowboys will only pretend to dispose of asbestos safely and will try and hide it in and around your property or the locale.
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 11181
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Leinsterman »

If it's an external boiler house for an old oil boiler, chances are the asbestos was used to make the boiler house chimney. That was the case in my house anyway. We converted to gas and then plumbed the boiler house for the washing machine, dryer etc. We haven't touched the chimney - no need (yet).
My main problem is a big fúck of shed at the end of the garden that has a very nice 15' x 8' asbestos roof. Eventually I want to knock the shed but the roof will cost a fortune to get rid of. x(
User avatar
HighKingLeinster
Posts: 22692
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:58 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by HighKingLeinster »

Leinsterman wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:40 am If it's an external boiler house for an old oil boiler, chances are the asbestos was used to make the boiler house chimney. That was the case in my house anyway. We converted to gas and then plumbed the boiler house for the washing machine, dryer etc. We haven't touched the chimney - no need (yet).
My main problem is a big fúck of shed at the end of the garden that has a very nice 15' x 8' asbestos roof. Eventually I want to knock the shed but the roof will cost a fortune to get rid of. x(
Loosen the fixings of the roof and the next storm will blow it into the neighbours. Its their problem then :thumbup:
ticketlessinseattle
Posts: 10174
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: the Confederacy of Dunces

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

have Daniel O'Donnell look at it
Post Reply