Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
Duff Paddy

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:10 pm 3,086/46 - the 'majority' of the deaths this month.
This MONTH! The stats are all over the place. Why can’t they just be straight up and honest?
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

ticketlessinseattle wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:22 pm
Floppykid wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:42 pm
danthefan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:38 pm Completely anecdotal but talking to someone who works in a GP surgery earlier and the number of calls about covid symptoms has calmed a lot this week. Last week was absolutely mental apparently.
I guess everyone who took the piss over the Christmas period, and caused the mess, has had it.
do we know that that is the reason for us literally being top of the world leaderboard ; people visiting houses over Christmas at 5 times the rate of anywhere else in the world ? genuinely curious
Sure you know what we're like. Any old excuse to bend the rules, particularly the younger people who made up the largest percentage of the cases recently.
Meet 5 of your mates in a pub or restaurant.
Do the same thing the next night
Go to a mate's house the following night.
You build up quite a large cluster very quickly.
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

are they wilfully massaging numbers in the hope no one will notice or do they not know wtf they're doing ? neither is a good look ; I was on a call earlier with 2 yanks, one of them in Chicago - his wife had somehow won a lottery on getting vaccinated (only in America) yesterday ; he dropped her off and went about his business - 10 minutes later they're shouting down the mall at him to come back ; they had some extra vaccines left that they had to administer that day - he got vaccinated and has his appointment for 2nd shot ; jammy jammy bastard
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

The deaths are going to be high for a while lads, get used to it.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

That has to be the backlog cleared. There's a few cases out there but @RiochtConor2 has it that we've reached our max conversion rate for positive tests to cases.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:31 pm
Gavin Duffy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:10 pm 3,086/46 - the 'majority' of the deaths this month.
This MONTH! The stats are all over the place. Why can’t they just be straight up and honest?
I'm sure they do release the exact info but no one reports it.

Tbf, it's not surprising that this week is seeing an increase with the administration of death certs also seeing a Christmas delay.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

CM11 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:47 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:31 pm
I'm sure they do release the exact info but no one reports it.

Tbf, it's not surprising that this week is seeing an increase with the administration of death certs also seeing a Christmas delay.
Well yes - as we discussed yesterday, the death rate was far too low until today. It’s still actually very low but the hysteria of the number of deaths reported today is what everyone will be talking about tomorrow.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

The HPSC used to provide information on number cases by notification date and by epidemiological date, it made for interesting reading. For example the graph for the first wave was quite flat when charted by epidemiological date, perhaps hinting at an artificial ceiling due to limited testing capacity.
See e.g. https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/cor ... ebsite.pdf
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Was talking to a chap in the know about things and he was in a major hospital outside Dublin today and they had one vial of vaccine in the fridge. They had months. No wonder they are lobbying RTE so heavily to blame the EU
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

EverReady wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:01 pm Was talking to a chap in the know about things and he was in a major hospital outside Dublin today and they had one vial of vaccine in the fridge. They had months. No wonder they are lobbying RTE so heavily to blame the EU
How many are in the -70 degC freezers at the HSE ?

80,000 vials delivered and 40,000 coming every week.

We have just doled out ~ 35,000 in ~ 2.5 weeks.

They are getting better at the roll-out but they were clearly asleep at the wheel.

Hope this AZ shot actually works ... the best data for it published comes from blind single armed trials (the patient did not know, but the vaccinator knew who was getting the vaccine). The double-armed blinded trials gave much lower levels of efficacy with limited exposure to older cohorts.

Still, they have been working on additional clinical trials in the meantime to bridge this gap, which was why, I believe, they stalled the CMA application to the EMA until now. There are some factions in the EMA would try to toss out a vaccine to uphold its reputation as a regulator with a couple of others approved and moving, and another from J&J coming up fast on the rails.

I have no axe to grind on the topic. I want them all to be safe, available, effective and in your arm. :thumbup:
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Well we could start by closing all those Mother and baby homes down,..........Oh....

Virtue signaling of the worst sort.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

We could intimidate them into shutting the f*ck up I suppose, a la the shinners.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Ireland to get initial € 1bn share of Eu € 5bn "Brexit Fund".

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2021/011 ... ries-fund/
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

camroc1 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:36 pm Ireland to get initial € 1bn share of Eu € 5bn "Brexit Fund".

Only ? ... :frown:
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Botha Boy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:59 pm
camroc1 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:36 pm Ireland to get initial € 1bn share of Eu € 5bn "Brexit Fund".

Only ? ... :frown:
It's a quarter of this years spend, with France, Spain, Belgium, Holland, Denmark and everyone else fighting over the rest.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

And we're going to spend it on hosting press conferences and maybe a tribunal for the craic.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

The mother and baby home report is shocking by any standards. I saw on the news that some representatives are still attacking the government over it - can’t understand it, the current government have done everything they can. The leak wasn’t good but it’s hardly a significant issue is it. The key point for me is that these homes could only operate in a wider society that facilitated their existence - it’s too easy to just blame the church. It was the state, the church, the families who pressured the women to go there, and everyone who knew what was happening but turned a blind eye.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Healthcare workers on leave due to being a close contact of a Covid-19 case are being asked to return to work if they are asymptomatic due to the strain on the health service.
This is going to end well.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

CM11 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:42 am
Healthcare workers on leave due to being a close contact of a Covid-19 case are being asked to return to work if they are asymptomatic due to the strain on the health service.
With testing and full PPE it can be managed. We can’t have a situation where a huge proportion of our frontline staff are sitting at home fit and we’ll just because they were pinged as a close contact. They need to be tested and back to work.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:52 am
With testing and full PPE it can be managed. We can’t have a situation where a huge proportion of our frontline staff are sitting at home fit and we’ll just because they were pinged as a close contact. They need to be tested and back to work.
You just need one incident of it causing an infection in hospital and it'll be another controversy.

I don't particularly disagree with it, if they're being honest with their symptoms then it should be fine but even then when you're worked to the bone it's easy to miss the onset of illness.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

CM11 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:57 am
You just need one incident of it causing an infection in hospital and it'll be another controversy.

I don't particularly disagree with it, if they're being honest with their symptoms then it should be fine but even then when you're worked to the bone it's easy to miss the onset of illness.
Most of them aren’t worked to the bone. Only a very small percentage are even dealing with covid patients.
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:03 am The mother and baby home report is shocking by any standards. I saw on the news that some representatives are still attacking the government over it - can’t understand it, the current government have done everything they can. The leak wasn’t good but it’s hardly a significant issue is it. The key point for me is that these homes could only operate in a wider society that facilitated their existence - it’s too easy to just blame the church. It was the state, the church, the families who pressured the women to go there, and everyone who knew what was happening but turned a blind eye.
MM has a career defining speech though coming up today, and to my mind it has to be in this order of responsibility 1. state, 2. church, 3 society.

There is no doubt society has to take some responsibility but the state and the church at the time has such power that society was brought along for the ride IMHO. The state very much failed them first and foremost, aided and abetted in this instance by the church, I would say in other situation the power of the church was so much that the state was brought along with society. The case of the woman last night on primetime, whose baby was taken away from her, was straight up kidnap and should be investigated as such. Also I think the victim's record should be release to them, whatever need to happen for that so be it, with all the correct caveats.

I think it is now time for the government to properly investigate the state-church relationship over the last 100 years, wart and all and the church need to be force to release their records.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:03 am The mother and baby home report is shocking by any standards. I saw on the news that some representatives are still attacking the government over it - can’t understand it, the current government have done everything they can. The leak wasn’t good but it’s hardly a significant issue is it. The key point for me is that these homes could only operate in a wider society that facilitated their existence - it’s too easy to just blame the church. It was the state, the church, the families who pressured the women to go there, and everyone who knew what was happening but turned a blind eye.
https://twitter.com/andrewflood/status/ ... 05091?s=21

Not great reading. Another bit of Irish history I didn’t know.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:59 am

Most of them aren’t worked to the bone. Only a very small percentage are even dealing with covid patients.
A here Duff what it's like for them at the moment you can't imagine even the one's not directly.
Have some young relations and they look gaunt and worn out at mid twenties.
MunsterMan!!!!!

DragsterDriver wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:25 am

No not good at all, this is our authoritarian past, state and church moulded a traumatised (from famine, emigration, wars and the likes) society into whatever they liked and stuff like this was the outcome.
MunsterMan!!!!!

Lads, I say take a break from the echo chamber if this is your conclusion on healthcare workers at the moment.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Of history. There were mother and baby homes the world over hence why they were quick to note we were particularly bad.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:47 am

No not good at all, this is our authoritarian past, state and church moulded a traumatised (from famine, emigration, wars and the likes) society into whatever they liked and stuff like this was the outcome.
It’s not long ago but a lifetime ago really, was talking to an old relative this week about the pandemic- as he said 50yrs ago working class people didn’t live long working in pits and factories etc. They’d have just shovelled the dead and moved on. He was right how the internet and camera phones shine a light on everything now, there’s no secrets anymore.

When he was a Barnados boy they used to get presents on Xmas day to open, once everybody had left the carers took the gifts away to sell. Different times.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

lorcanoworms wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:39 am

A here Duff what it's like for them at the moment you can't imagine even the one's not directly.
Yep the younger ones on the frontline are the ones getting the brunt of it. Most of them are not worked to the bone though, I know that’s not a popular thing to say but it’s true.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:59 amMost of them aren’t worked to the bone. Only a very small percentage are even dealing with covid patients.
Must be great being so absolutely sure of everything.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

I really just give up on you lot, I try to see merit in everybody's stance on this.
But you guys just want your bias confirmed.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

The super covids are getting wind in their sails again Duff
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Some choice comments from Twitter regarding the report:
If David Quinn is calling the report an excellent read its safe to assume its not fit for purpose
He probably got a hard-on reading it.
As for the guy comparing the homes to Soviet gulags...
There are important differences of course
No shit Sherlock. Then are they comparable? Nothing like a bit of hyperbole
CM11

Post by CM11 »

lorcanoworms wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:02 am I really just give up on you lot, I try to see merit in everybody's stance on this.
But you guys just want your bias confirmed.
I think you've just confirmed your bias there because I've no idea what bias you think has been confirmed on this page.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

There are plenty of fathers who just abandoned their girlfriends to these homes.
One of my own buddies had to be nagged in to taking his pregnant girlfriend out of one of those homes.
The spineless little fúcker.
ticketlessinseattle

agreed ; there should be a stop taking the piss directive - we cant have a situation where there's a get out of jail/work card that stops the functioning of hospitals with actual essential staff (as opposed to the government definition) that are Covid negative and to a lesser extent asymptomatic are sitting at home.
and in terms of the government managing controversies this would be well down the list and for a change they'd have a justifiable leg to stand on
ticketlessinseattle

lorcanoworms wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:39 am

that'd be all the house parties !
ticketlessinseattle

ps as is nearly always the case even preCovid the defence employed by any department be it, health, education, defence is that ....there's plenty of front line staff that I know that are working to the bone on xyz and then examples are given of my sister, aunt, uncle, brother etc ; and in many cases these are fine, hard working well intentioned people ; the issue is I see it is 2 fold ; there is no formal meritocracy with performance evaluations to weed out the lazy ones and the bigger issue is that its actually not the front line staff but the management of departments, hospitals, functions etc that don't seem to have any inclination, incentive to create fiunctioning, efficient operations ; in fact the system seems to encourage the opposite
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

ticketlessinseattle wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:46 am and the bigger issue is that its actually not the front line staff but the management of departments, hospitals, functions etc that don't seem to have any inclination, incentive to create fiunctioning, efficient operations ; in fact the system seems to encourage the opposite
This isn't exclusive to the public sector though.
Look at any large organisation and you'll see the same thing but not to the same extent. The main difference is the private sector companies won't be unionised so it's a little bit easier to make changes.

EDIT: and what drives all the bloating and inefficiencies is the bane of efficiency - corporate governance. Once an auditor comes in and goes through your processes, they come up with ridiculous niggly issues that need to be ironed out and this leads to bloating.