Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
Leinsterman

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Leinsterman »

Nolanator wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:57 pm 3569, 63. "Majority of the latter from this month". :roll:

They're still unfortunates who died from Covid, but the messaging (or lack of context) behind some of the recent numbers is a bit annoying. Implies 63 people died of Covid yesterday.
It doesn't imply that at all. :|
It's still 63 dead.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Leinsterman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:34 pm
Nolanator wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:57 pm 3569, 63. "Majority of the latter from this month". :roll:

They're still unfortunates who died from Covid, but the messaging (or lack of context) behind some of the recent numbers is a bit annoying. Implies 63 people died of Covid yesterday.
It's still 63 dead.
A lot of people, possibly/probably most will assume it's in the last 24 hours.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

I really don't see what the huge issue is. Do you want them to say 3 died today, 4 died yesterday, 5 on Monday etc?
Does it make them more dead?
There could be the fact that the deaths are only officially getting reported to NPHET at this stage.
Some of you guys are seriously becoming borderline Gemmaroids
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:52 pm
Leinsterman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:34 pm

It's still 63 dead.
A lot of people, possibly/probably most will assume it's in the last 24 hours.
at first glance I kinda did, but then again I'm thick, but then again most people are
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Leinsterman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:57 pm I really don't see what the huge issue is. Do you want them to say 3 died today, 4 died yesterday, 5 on Monday etc?
There could be the fact that the deaths are only officially getting reported to NPHET at this stage.
It would be nice to see accurate patterns, no? You're the one getting yours knickers in a twist tbf - 'does it make them more dead' - serious;y?

Also, when there are unexpectedly low figures NPHET are always more than ready to point it out that's it's an 'IT' glitch, there's a backlog blah blah. But never when it's in the other direction, and that just feeds into the 'cry wolf' accusations.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Leinsterman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:57 pm I really don't see what the huge issue is. Do you want them to say 3 died today, 4 died yesterday, 5 on Monday etc?
It's fair enough that these people still died, I said as much. It does muddy the waters a bit when seeing patterns and trends in how things are going.

Misery numbers about how the world is going to shit aren't helpful IMO. Maybe I'm just sick of the bad news cycle and wish things could be presented in a slightly less everything is awful context.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

If there was a delay a week ago, there’ll be a delay now, and so forth. Wouldn’t be getting too hung on it, the deaths from the preceding months are not that much of the total.

If we are clipping 40+ deaths a day for 6 weeks we’ll be oner the total deaths from the first wave. Hopefully it’s a few extra from New Years and the average doesn’t go above 30.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

@Gavin
I'm sure it would be nice but is it 100% necessary?
Will it make a jot of difference?

DD - well put

Nols - we're all sick of it, trust me. You're not the only one.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

They announced at the press conference that 5 were from November, one December and the rest from 'this month'. Not sure what more you guys want them to say?
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:38 pm
lorcanoworms wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:15 pm Some corner sites in my neighbourhood which have only just been started building on are working away as usual, others that are being gutted but not near finished are working away.
I thought you could only complete near finished or work on social housing?
Maybe I live in social housing and nobody told me :blush: .
https://cif.ie/coronavirus/#statements
“Construction and development

The following services relating to construction and development:
(a) the construction or development of essential health and related projects, including those relevant to preventing, limiting, minimising or slowing the spread of Covid-19;

(b) the construction or development of essential educational facilities at primary and post-primary level, including school building projects, which will provide additional capacity for students or involve essential maintenance or refurbishment works in support of the continued provision of education;

(c) certain essential projects relating to the construction and development at Technological University Dublin Campus Grangegorman;

(d) construction or development of social housing, whether contracted by, or on behalf of, a local authority or an approved housing body, (including those properties in a housing development that a local authority or approved housing body has agreed to lease, or where a developer has agreed to transfer ownership to a local authority or approved housing body or agreed the grant of a lease to a local authority in accordance with section 96(3) of the Planning and Development Act 2000 (No. 30 of 2000)) where –

(i) the local authority, or the approved housing body concerned, confirms that the completion of the housing project is necessary to alleviate homelessness, overcrowding, the numbers in emergency or temporary accommodation and to facilitate transfers from emergency accommodation or other forms of social housing in order to prevent, limit, minimise or slow the spread of Covid-19,

(ii) the project is funded, or has been approved for funding, in whole or in part, by the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage, and

(iii) the project is scheduled to be completed by the 28th day of February 2021;

(e) essential works on vacant residential properties, owned or controlled by a local authority or an approved housing body, which are necessary to allow the property to be allocated to a household on the social housing waiting list, and which are scheduled to be completed by the 28th day of February 2021;

(f) works of adaptation relating to a housing adaptation grant paid in accordance with Regulation 5 of the Housing (Adaptation Grants for Older People and People with a Disability) Regulations 2007 (S.I. No. 670 of 2007) where the person in respect of whom the grant is payable consents to such works of adaptation being undertaken in his or her home;

(g) construction or development funded by the pyrite remediation scheme in accordance with the Pyrite Resolution Act 2013 (No. 51 of 2013) which are scheduled to be completed by the 31st day of January 2021 and where the completion of such construction or development is essential to prevent, limit, minimise or slow the spread of Covid-19;

(h) the repair, maintenance and construction of critical transport and utility infrastructure;

(i) the supply and delivery of essential or emergency maintenance and repair services to businesses and places of residence (including electrical, gas, oil, plumbing, glazing and roofing services) on an emergency call-out basis;

(j) housing construction and completion works ongoing on the 8th day of January 2021 where such works are scheduled to be completed by the 31st day of January 2021 and will render the home under construction capable of occupation by that date;

(k) construction and development projects necessary for the maintenance of supply chains in respect of services specified in subparagraphs (h) to (p) of paragraph 2 or information and communications specified in subparagraphs (c) and (d) of paragraph 9 but shall exclude general purpose facilities such as office accommodation and car parks;

(l) construction and development projects that relate to the direct supply of medical products for Covid-19.”,
Are our ROI sites are going full bore. Looks like section h) covers this.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:00 pm
EverReady wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:10 am The super covids are getting wind in their sails again Duff
The narrative is set. Every healthcare worker is “worked to the bone”. I can give you a dozen examples of healthcare workers who are pretty f**king far from worked to the bone but I’m a prick for daring to say it.
I can double that dozen and then lash multiples more on. The INMO close contacts thing is hilarious. What they are worried about is loads of their members are at home child minding but 'close contacts'. Close contacts my hairy fücking hoop. A quarter of the country is on PUP, a quarter wfh heroes (my Chinese phone corrected that to herpes), a quarter 'close contacts and the rest might be working but we are not sure.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

CM11 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:10 pm They announced at the press conference that 5 were from November, one December and the rest from 'this month'. Not sure what more you guys want them to say?
How many they vaccinated today and when everybody else is being done
ticketlessinseattle

Gavin Duffy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:01 pm
It would be nice to see accurate patterns, no? You're the one getting yours knickers in a twist tbf - 'does it make them more dead' - serious;y?

Also, when there are unexpectedly low figures NPHET are always more than ready to point it out that's it's an 'IT' glitch, there's a backlog blah blah. But never when it's in the other direction, and that just feeds into the 'cry wolf' accusations.
I agree, so when they say 63 dead what does that mean ? if they're announcing the numbers dead each day you'd think it means numbers dead since yesterday or if it was 63 dead cumulatively this week since Monday that would then mean something and be comparable to that number on the same day of the week last week etc ; 63 dead without context means nothing ; well, it was 20 dead since yesterday, then we had 15 dead on Monday that we didn't report then and a few catch ups from last week ; wouldn't be a great way of reporting your same day sales to Maurice Pratt back in the day (yeah, I watched some of that show on rte d'other night about retail adds etc from the 1970's/80's etc, good laugh)
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

CM11 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:10 pm They announced at the press conference that 5 were from November, one December and the rest from 'this month'. Not sure what more you guys want them to say?
:thumbup:
Fair enough. Didn't watch the presser.

I'm just indulging in being a cranky pants.
Leinsterman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:05 pm Nols - we're all sick of it, trust me. You're not the only one.
Ah I know.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

ticketlessinseattle wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:45 pm

I agree, so when they say 63 dead what does that mean ? if they're announcing the numbers dead each day you'd think it means numbers dead since yesterday or if it was 63 dead cumulatively this week since Monday that would then mean something and be comparable to that number on the same day of the week last week etc ; 63 dead without context means nothing ; well, it was 20 dead since yesterday, then we had 15 dead on Monday that we didn't report then and a few catch ups from last week ; wouldn't be a great way of reporting your same day sales to Maurice Pratt back in the day (yeah, I watched some of that show on rte d'other night about retail adds etc from the 1970's/80's etc, good laugh)
Ah stop. For better or worse the way we notify deaths in this country means we can't simply give figures for how many die each day from covid.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Nolanator wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:52 pm
:thumbup:
Fair enough. Didn't watch the presser.

I'm just indulging in being a cranky pants.
Yeah, I haven't watched the stupid press conference for months either. Maybe it's a new dawn for them. Won't hold my breath though.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

EverReady wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:38 pm
Well yes. But I was just talking about their death announcements.

I suppose they could emphasise how we notify deaths but for all I know, they do do that but no one bothers to mention it.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

CM11 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:53 pm

Ah stop. For better or worse the way we notify deaths in this country means we can't simply give figures for how many die each day from covid.
It's the same in the UK.

They announced 1,564 :shock: deaths today, and some of them are from before Christmas etc.

Using a 13 times multiplier that's the equivalent of twice our number for today. So whilst we rightly give NPHET some grief, things could be worse.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

:|
CM11 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:55 pm

I suppose they could emphasise how we notify deaths but for all I know, they do do that but no one bothers to mention it.
I'm not too bothered about that. They either lost control of or are wilfully confusing us with the daily numbers but whatever they are not an accurate reflection of the day to day state of play. Not a particularly big deal though you would think they would stop with it considering it's bollox.
ticketlessinseattle

and your nickname is stats ? looking at it now, its a pick and mix as to how the come up with the numbers

"Five of the latest deaths reported occurred in November (so November numbers were understated, or maybe they includes ones from Ocotober) , one in December and 56 happened this month (were they in the days that seemed to have low numbers I guess ?). The date of one person’s death remains under investigation, Nphet said in a statement.
The number of deaths reported on Wednesday is the second highest during the pandemic. The highest number, 77, was reported on April 20th. this makes the this 63 a headline number but turns out its a number that actually means nothing

in other words these daily death numbers mean nothing if anyone is trying to establish a pattern or any correlation ; if they're going to be that much of a lottery then dont do them daily, its pointless clearly - possibly do them weekly and if you're going to be reporting numbers that are from a previous period then restate them accurately ; can you imagine reporting your daily sales numbers or any other kpi like that ? ah sure boss, we found a bunch of sales from October, a pile from last week and a few from Monday.....so all the numbers you report to me on those days were bollix ? ,,,,,ah sure look it, you know yourself like
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

ticketlessinseattle wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:11 pm

and your nickname is stats ? looking at it now, its a pick and mix as to how the come up with the numbers

"Five of the latest deaths reported occurred in November (so November numbers were understated, or maybe they includes ones from Ocotober) , one in December and 56 happened this month (were they in the days that seemed to have low numbers I guess ?). The date of one person’s death remains under investigation, Nphet said in a statement.
The number of deaths reported on Wednesday is the second highest during the pandemic. The highest number, 77, was reported on April 20th. this makes the this 63 a headline number but turns out its a number that actually means nothing

in other words these daily death numbers mean nothing if anyone is trying to establish a pattern or any correlation ; if they're going to be that much of a lottery then dont do them daily, its pointless clearly - possibly do them weekly and if you're going to be reporting numbers that are from a previous period then restate them accurately ; can you imagine reporting your daily sales numbers or any other kpi like that ? ah sure boss, we found a bunch of sales from October, a pile from last week and a few from Monday.....so all the numbers you report to me on those days were bollix ? ,,,,,ah sure look it, you know yourself like
Five or seven day rolling averages would be a better way to go.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Again, you know it can take 3 months for a death cert to be filed? So they can never be sure until 3 months later.

Absolutely the number is largely meaningless but it's not like they can be expected to know of deaths that they haven't been notified about and deaths aren't notified until the death cert is filed.

@ticketless
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

The problem is with daily reporting. It’s inappropriate for many reasons.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Well quite but particularly now we know it is largely nonsense
CM11

Post by CM11 »

EverReady wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:05 pm :|
CM11 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:55 pm

I'm not too bothered about that. They either lost control of or are wilfully confusing us with the daily numbers but whatever they are not an accurate reflection of the day to day state of play. Not a particularly big deal though you would think they would stop with it considering it's bollox.
Cases are back on track and are usually close enough to reality. Deaths, as said are meaningless given how we notify.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Time for weekly updates then, as we've said for months time to dump the scare at bedtime.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:19 pm Time for weekly updates then, as we've said for months time to dump the scare at bedtime.
Politically impossible. As soon as the daily press conference stops it will be taken as a signal that the crisis is over. That can't happen until this wave is well and truly gone and the vaccine rollout is well advanced. Arguably it should never have started, but as it's there it can't be stopped for now.

You can imagine the reaction: what are they hiding?
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Yep they missed the opportunity in the summer to go to weekly conferences.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Can any one tell me why, when money is being spent like a drunken sailor, NPHET/HSE didn't fit out a half a dozen standard containers as mobile vaccination units?

Put in a Genny, run the electrics etc., whiterock the walls, altro the floors, put in a small super freezer, a boosted wifi aerial, some benches and chairs, and away you go. Visit NHs one at a time and vaccinate one and all, then move on to the next.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

camroc1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:31 pm Can any one tell me why, when money is being spent like a drunken sailor, NPHET/HSE didn't fit out a half a dozen standard containers as mobile vaccination units?

Put in a Genny, run the electrics etc., whiterock the walls, altro the floors, put in a small super freezer, a boosted wifi aerial, some benches and chairs, and away you go. Visit NHs one at a time and vaccinate one and all, then move on to the next.
Unions, probably.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

camroc1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:31 pm Can any one tell me why, when money is being spent like a drunken sailor, NPHET/HSE didn't fit out a half a dozen standard containers as mobile vaccination units?

What you’re looking for is military logistics. This is the HSE you’re talking about. Not in a million years would they move that fast on anything.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:36 pm

What you’re looking for is military logistics. This is the HSE you’re talking about. Not in a million years would they move that fast on anything.
FFS I could have a fully worked out design in a day. +/- 10% estimates/tenders in a couple of weeks, and with money not a problem, fully fitted out containers a couple of weeks after that (you just pre - order Gennies and materials once the button to tender is pressed).
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

camroc1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:42 pm

FFS I could have a fully worked out design in a day. +/- 10% estimates/tenders in a couple of weeks, and with money not a problem, fully fitted out containers a couple of weeks after that (you just pre - order Gennies and materials once the button to tender is pressed).
Well you know what the E in NPHET stands for, guess it’s their remit
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

You goys are clueless
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

EverReady wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:51 pm You goys are clueless
It's how the private sector, particularly pharma, works when it needs something done in an awful hurry.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Mary going all in https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/m ... 66172.html

Cmon guys what's the problem with child molestation if like say the guy is a great film maker or like an actor or say even the brother of a famous Irish revolutionary leader. Like Cmon.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

EverReady wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:53 am Mary going all in https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/m ... 66172.html

Cmon guys what's the problem with child molestation if like say the guy is a great film maker or like an actor or say even the brother of a famous Irish revolutionary leader. Like Cmon.
The war's over you big eejit.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:00 am
EverReady wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:53 am Mary going all in https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/m ... 66172.html

The war's over you big eejit.
Yeah, 1992 is such a long time ago for peace loving Sinn Fein.
Rumham

Post by Rumham »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:15 pm The problem is with daily reporting. It’s inappropriate for many reasons.
Would be nice to balance that out with the positive news about the vaccine rollout daily. Oh wait..
Rumham

Post by Rumham »

camroc1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:42 pm

They are off the shelf units. A dime a dozen. Could have ordered 50 of them from China at 25k a pop including shipping in the summer and had them waiting to go. They made a massive song a dance about ordering PPE from China and now have no plan whatsoever to rollout the one thing that will actually quell the virus. It's beyond a joke and disgusting to watch.

All journalists should demand the vaccine numbers immediately at any presser and then go from there. If they can't provide them then no need to publish anymore of their voodoo stats.