That is nonsense, while I agree on some folk sending money home there at least as many dossers among our immigrants as the Irish ones.Blackrock Bullet wrote:iarmhiman wrote:Been thinking about this. They have closed two construction sites and a factory. if it's in those clusters this may be a blip and they got most of them this evening. I'm hoping.danthefan wrote:Eighty f**king five cases89% or so are already traced, that shows the systems are working. So long as the clusters remain managed, you can't lose it over these kinds of numbers.Of the cases notified today:
39% of today’s cases are associated with close contacts of a confirmed case
half are associated with outbreaks
A larger question needs to be asked of the recent clusters. Notably there hasn't been any cited from hairdressers, pubs, gyms etc. Another meat factory style outbreak today, in line with previous patters. Some from construction sites. Some in Direct Provision centres. It is quite safe to assume a lot of the outbreaks are amongst minorities. This isn't unique, this has happened in Singapore and is also happening in the UK. A variety of reasons I've read that are cited;
- cramped living conditions for many
- inter generational living
- car pooling
- poor communication skills, many hived off into their communities both inside and outside of work
- pressure/motivation to work: I think immigrants are going to be more motivated to work than people from here originally, it's purely anecdotal but it did not surprise me one bit that the new hires for Deliveroo/Uber Eats during the original pandemic were still minorities. They won't just sit around collecting €350, many have pressures beyond that in sending money home
- possible genetic disposition
What the answer is is unknown, possible more randomised testing in those areas of work, the last thing you want is another Leicester. Maybe that's already happening? I read some of the comments from the NPHET and whilst they did the usual and sounded the alarm, I also thought they sounded more comfortable than the other week, saying to wait and see. If they are tracking that many cases earlier on, maybe they're confident in their control infrastructure.
When I was in property maintenance all my tenants were foreign and most only did part time or no work at all.