Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 15670
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:17 am
Mullet 2 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:13 am
EverReady wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:11 am It's a death spiral Mullet and they can't get out of it. Hoisted by their own retard trying to be the best boys in the class. The whole thing is utterly transparent but here we are and here you are still arguing for it
Government making a stat worse :lol:

You boys have lost it.
Despite the mountain of stats the government have released on this, there are still people who are calling the government out for hiding stuff. The schools is the current one. People have confused cases in schools to an outbreak in schools and have scoffed at the idea we only have 13 outbreaks in that setting. It's just getting so ridiculous.
The Government are mediocre at releasing stats.

Questions constantly arise over the data - the HSE data on hospitals is all over the place. I can list off more examples if you want.

It takes two months for them to compile cases by electoral area, where as in Australia you can find these things out in an instant. This is the kind of stat that should have been released pre the schools going back, to avoid the hysteria now and when cases were very low.

It isn't "ridiculous" at all in a democracy to ask for these things. In your efforts to constantly defend the Government on here, you rarely acknowledge how it is they who cause many of their own problems. They don't get ahead of the game enough and are far too reactionary.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 63122
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

EverReady wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:56 am
It's a bit of a disaster this time. We have cancelled twice this year because of Covid but this time half the group can go and half can't. My missus is losing the will to live and the poor kids. It's just shit for them. Utter shit.
Agreed. We're booked for the second weekend in October. So if they bring us to level 3 for 3 weeks on Friday, we've a tough decision. Probably leave it till the last moment and see if it's likely they'll go back to level 2 that weekend.
Nolanator
Posts: 39515
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Nolanator »

Two good friends are planning on getting married in Kerry in December. That's looking less and less likely.
They're in England, most of the guests will be from Dublin, with a not insignificant number travelling internationally.

Shame, was really looking forward to it.
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 15670
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:25 am
I am not hanging on every stat, I'm watching trends.
Are you now :lol: throw us up an old graph of the hospital burden of covid since it started so
Stats doesn't even interpret the data properly - see the Israel example this week and the hospitals where it takes Cam to ask some pressing questions.

Not to mention his scare tactics over schools reopening, which he denies now, how many kids in New York?
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 63122
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

EverReady wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:01 am
CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:59 am
EverReady wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:56 am
It's a bit of a disaster this time. We have cancelled twice this year because of Covid but this time half the group can go and half can't. My missus is losing the will to live and the poor kids. It's just shit for them. Utter shit.
Agreed. We're booked for the second weekend in October. So if they bring us to level 3 for 3 weeks on Friday, we've a tough decision. Probably leave it till the last moment and see if it's likely they'll go back to level 2 that weekend.
The problem is as we all knew Covid is only going one way as it's the Autumn. It's going to be a very very very long winter
It's a write off until spring at the earliest. Just trying to get through it sane. Easier for some than others.
iarmhiman
Posts: 44138
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by iarmhiman »

Will we have a vaccine next April?

This plan to live with covid gets us to March
Mullet 2

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Mullet 2 »

Nolanator wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:52 am
Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:21 am He wants nobody to die of anything ever, and certainly not covid
That's fúcking pathetic, Duff. FFS.
He's having a rough morning
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 15670
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Nolanator wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:01 am Two good friends are planning on getting married in Kerry in December. That's looking less and less likely.
They're in England, most of the guests will be from Dublin, with a not insignificant number travelling internationally.

Shame, was really looking forward to it.
Tbf I wouldn't organise anything like that at the moment. If it's really pressing for VISA reasons or because Grandad is getting on, just do family only.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 63122
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:50 am
camroc1 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:48 am Looking at the updated covid data hub, yesterday there were three admissions to hospital, and three discharges, yet the number hospitalised with covid rose by 11.

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcg ... u--testing

And it's the Mater where numbers "mysteriously" jumped, not Beaumont - apologies.
Covid data hub is updated more regularly so that's as of 8am this morning.
Just to follow up on this, that doesn't explain the admissions/discharges. So possibly they are actual admissions while the stats in the HSE document can also include patients already admitted?

Bit confusing alright.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 39853
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:26 am
Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:25 am
I am not hanging on every stat, I'm watching trends.
Are you now :lol: throw us up an old graph of the hospital burden of covid since it started so
Yes, I am. Which is why I pointed out to you recently the increasing numbers being hospitalised. I'm wondering when the number becomes significant for you?
When it has any statistical significance not significance to me you eejit
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 10480
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Leinsterman »

CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:59 am
EverReady wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:56 am
It's a bit of a disaster this time. We have cancelled twice this year because of Covid but this time half the group can go and half can't. My missus is losing the will to live and the poor kids. It's just shit for them. Utter shit.
Agreed. We're booked for the second weekend in October. So if they bring us to level 3 for 3 weeks on Friday, we've a tough decision. Probably leave it till the last moment and see if it's likely they'll go back to level 2 that weekend.
We're due to go the first weekend in October.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 63122
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:19 am
CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:26 am
Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:25 am
I am not hanging on every stat, I'm watching trends.
Are you now :lol: throw us up an old graph of the hospital burden of covid since it started so
Yes, I am. Which is why I pointed out to you recently the increasing numbers being hospitalised. I'm wondering when the number becomes significant for you?
When it has any statistical significance not significance to me you eejit
Oh for crying out loud Duff. That's a ridiculous response.

For what numbers for X and Y when I say 'there's X in hospital and Y in ICU' will you stop replying that I am talking about insignificant statistical figures?
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 63122
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

Leinsterman wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:21 am
CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:59 am
EverReady wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:56 am
It's a bit of a disaster this time. We have cancelled twice this year because of Covid but this time half the group can go and half can't. My missus is losing the will to live and the poor kids. It's just shit for them. Utter shit.
Agreed. We're booked for the second weekend in October. So if they bring us to level 3 for 3 weeks on Friday, we've a tough decision. Probably leave it till the last moment and see if it's likely they'll go back to level 2 that weekend.
We're due to go the first weekend in October.
:(

Bloody mess.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 63122
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

EverReady wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:20 am
CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:03 am
EverReady wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:01 am
CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:59 am
EverReady wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:56 am
It's a bit of a disaster this time. We have cancelled twice this year because of Covid but this time half the group can go and half can't. My missus is losing the will to live and the poor kids. It's just shit for them. Utter shit.
Agreed. We're booked for the second weekend in October. So if they bring us to level 3 for 3 weeks on Friday, we've a tough decision. Probably leave it till the last moment and see if it's likely they'll go back to level 2 that weekend.
The problem is as we all knew Covid is only going one way as it's the Autumn. It's going to be a very very very long winter
It's a write off until spring at the earliest. Just trying to get through it sane. Easier for some than others.
I think for most it's fine. Kids a big nope. Ours have coped ok but the constant virus looming over them is desperately unhealthy
I really feel for the teens/early 20s. Yeah, they'll get over it but it's utter shit for them.
iarmhiman
Posts: 44138
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by iarmhiman »

I'm going to Killarney 15th October.

That's a month away. I think we'll get three weeks of level 3. I may be okay to go.
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 15670
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Good piece in the Australian Financial Review on Australia. I don't agree with the guy on the initial lockdown, it had to be done from a risk mitigation perspective. However, his points on how we build public policy are dead right.
Why I quit rather than be silenced: Vic Treasury insider
A former Victorian Treasury economist explains how he quit to keep speaking out against policy blunders.

Sanjeev Sabhlok Contributor

Sep 16, 2020 – 3.05pm

Save

Share

Last week I quit my job as an economist in the Victorian Department of Finance and Treasury so that I would be free to speak out against the state’s management of the COVID-19 infection.

I had made a number of criticisms of the state government on social media. The head of human relations at Treasury asked me to remove them. I considered deleting the few direct criticisms, but they wanted all indirect criticism removed too. I resigned on the same day, the only honourable course for a free citizen of Australia. I never dreamed I would see some of the tactics being used to defend the state’s health.

The pandemic policies being pursued in Australia – particularly in Victoria – are the most heavy-handed possible, a sledgehammer to kill a swarm of flies. These policies are having hugely adverse economic, social and health effects, with the poorer sections of the community that don’t have the ability to work from home suffering the most.

Australia is signalling to the world that it is closed for business and doesn’t care for human freedoms. This will dampen business investment but also impact future skilled migration, the education industry and tourism.

The whole thing hinges on the scare created by politicians and health professionals. For instance, Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton claims this is the “greatest public health challenge since the Spanish flu”.

But this is no Spanish flu – we can verify that easily.

The Spanish flu killed at least 50 million people worldwide in 1918 when the global population was 1.8 billion. Proportionately, to be as lethal as Spanish flu, a virus would have to kill at least 210 million people today. Instead, only around 0.9 million have died so far (compare this also with the 60 million who ordinarily die each year).

What about a second wave? There has never been a second wave hundreds of times bigger than the first. We can be reasonably certain that while this virus may create further ripples, its ultimate magnitude will end up in the range of the 1957 Asian flu.

But even if the pandemic had been as big as the Spanish flu, lockdowns could never have been justified. There are strong scientific arguments against lockdowns too.

So what should the government have done? The data were clear from February itself that the elderly are many times more vulnerable to a serious outcome than the young. It was necessary, therefore, to work out a targeted age-based strategy and start aggressively protecting and isolating the elderly, even as the rest of the population was advised on relevant precautions. But that wasn’t done.

The need for good policy process does not disappear just because we face a public health crisis. In fact, it gets even more urgent.

The Victorian Guide to Regulation notes that “It is not possible for governments to provide a completely ‘risk free’ society, or to prevent every possible event that might cause harm”. Further: “The direct and indirect costs imposed by regulatory approaches may not be … immediately obvious. Risk regulation that is poorly targeted or costly will divert resources from other priorities.”strong text

Governments back in February needed to commission a cost-benefit analysis of alternative policy options that took into account different scenarios (such as with and without a vaccine). Thereafter, the best option had to be picked given the uncertainty, but consistent also with the need to intrude minimally into human freedoms. This cost-benefit analysis and policies needed then to be updated as new information emerged (such as the fact that epidemiological models have badly exaggerated the risk).

Governments should have also realised at the outset that they are hostage to chronic groupthink and actively sought alternative advice. I attempted repeatedly to raise my voice within my public sector role, but my attempts were rebuffed. The bureaucracy has clamped down on frank and fearless, impartial advice, in a misplaced determination to support whatever the government decides, (instead of performing its taxpayer-funded duty of providing forthright analysis of alternatives).

While there is scientific argument against lockdowns, there are divergent views on matters such as the effectiveness of masks. I am a mask fanatic but there was never any reason to mandate these debatable requirements. Voluntary, performance-based rules would allow the private sector to innovate, leaving people with the power of agency, to determine their own fate – thereby minimising economic harm, and harm to mental health and general well-being.

So what happens now? Billions of dollars in income and wealth have been wiped out in the name of a virus that is no worse than the Asian flu and which can (even now) be managed by isolating the elderly and taking a range of voluntary, innovative measures. All the border closures, all the lockdowns, all the curfews in Melbourne will not eradicate the virus from planet Earth.

The problem for politicians now is to reverse course without losing their job. I don’t know how they plan to do it but if they don’t do it sooner rather than later the damage to Australia’s future would have become so great it would undo the good work of decades of reform.
Interestingly, the Department of Finance chief seemed to have concerns here but did not come out with them.

We failed badly from mid April onwards where a government drunk on 0% borrowing and kudos decided to keep NPHET in charge of the country far too long than was necessary.

This week was their chance to get that back. They finally stepped back and stopped listening only to the NPHET pioneers who used newspaper cuttings of one off pub outbreaks as their "evidence" for not reopening. They finally looked to get in line with EU on travel, belatedly (after the summer months) providing some support for our tourism sector, another key industry in aviation and also in decency to people who live and work abroad who want to get home. They finally were putting a screen up to NPHET and were looking at wider, cost benefit aspects of decision making.

But in one full swoop, they undermined their own thought out plan with their nonsense of Dublin on level 2. Micheal Martin put on a tour de force in shambolic communication. They are going to continue shitting themselves here as they live day to day and overthink things.
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 15670
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:22 am
Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:19 am
CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:26 am
Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:25 am
I am not hanging on every stat, I'm watching trends.
Are you now :lol: throw us up an old graph of the hospital burden of covid since it started so
Yes, I am. Which is why I pointed out to you recently the increasing numbers being hospitalised. I'm wondering when the number becomes significant for you?
When it has any statistical significance not significance to me you eejit
Oh for crying out loud Duff. That's a ridiculous response.

For what numbers for X and Y when I say 'there's X in hospital and Y in ICU' will you stop replying that I am talking about insignificant statistical figures?
Why don't you acknowledge the point Cam has made on hospitals and the numbers getting Covid in there and the rise in "admissions" at the same time?

You initially tried to counter it with your "it's only 2.28% of cases" line, when that number was remarkably close to overall admissions if you looked at the two pieces of data properly. You didn't say a thing afterwards.

You were very quick to jump on the ICU thing yesterday, but won't acknowledge what he said as a possibility. Instead you come in day after day with the stats and saying how worrying the growth is.
User avatar
danthefan
Posts: 23538
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by danthefan »

We're going away today. The kids were negative so fudge it, going for it.
User avatar
redderneck
Posts: 15851
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: We'll Never Forget You Geordan D'Arcy

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by redderneck »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:32 am Good piece in the Australian Financial Review on Australia. I don't agree with the guy on the initial lockdown, it had to be done from a risk mitigation perspective. However, his points on how we build public policy are dead right.
Why I quit rather than be silenced: Vic Treasury insider
A former Victorian Treasury economist explains how he quit to keep speaking out against policy blunders.

Sanjeev Sabhlok Contributor

Sep 16, 2020 – 3.05pm

Save

Share

Last week I quit my job as an economist in the Victorian Department of Finance and Treasury so that I would be free to speak out against the state’s management of the COVID-19 infection.

I had made a number of criticisms of the state government on social media. The head of human relations at Treasury asked me to remove them. I considered deleting the few direct criticisms, but they wanted all indirect criticism removed too. I resigned on the same day, the only honourable course for a free citizen of Australia. I never dreamed I would see some of the tactics being used to defend the state’s health.

The pandemic policies being pursued in Australia – particularly in Victoria – are the most heavy-handed possible, a sledgehammer to kill a swarm of flies. These policies are having hugely adverse economic, social and health effects, with the poorer sections of the community that don’t have the ability to work from home suffering the most.

Australia is signalling to the world that it is closed for business and doesn’t care for human freedoms. This will dampen business investment but also impact future skilled migration, the education industry and tourism.

The whole thing hinges on the scare created by politicians and health professionals. For instance, Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton claims this is the “greatest public health challenge since the Spanish flu”.

But this is no Spanish flu – we can verify that easily.

The Spanish flu killed at least 50 million people worldwide in 1918 when the global population was 1.8 billion. Proportionately, to be as lethal as Spanish flu, a virus would have to kill at least 210 million people today. Instead, only around 0.9 million have died so far (compare this also with the 60 million who ordinarily die each year).

What about a second wave? There has never been a second wave hundreds of times bigger than the first. We can be reasonably certain that while this virus may create further ripples, its ultimate magnitude will end up in the range of the 1957 Asian flu.

But even if the pandemic had been as big as the Spanish flu, lockdowns could never have been justified. There are strong scientific arguments against lockdowns too.

So what should the government have done? The data were clear from February itself that the elderly are many times more vulnerable to a serious outcome than the young. It was necessary, therefore, to work out a targeted age-based strategy and start aggressively protecting and isolating the elderly, even as the rest of the population was advised on relevant precautions. But that wasn’t done.

The need for good policy process does not disappear just because we face a public health crisis. In fact, it gets even more urgent.

The Victorian Guide to Regulation notes that “It is not possible for governments to provide a completely ‘risk free’ society, or to prevent every possible event that might cause harm”. Further: “The direct and indirect costs imposed by regulatory approaches may not be … immediately obvious. Risk regulation that is poorly targeted or costly will divert resources from other priorities.”strong text

Governments back in February needed to commission a cost-benefit analysis of alternative policy options that took into account different scenarios (such as with and without a vaccine). Thereafter, the best option had to be picked given the uncertainty, but consistent also with the need to intrude minimally into human freedoms. This cost-benefit analysis and policies needed then to be updated as new information emerged (such as the fact that epidemiological models have badly exaggerated the risk).

Governments should have also realised at the outset that they are hostage to chronic groupthink and actively sought alternative advice. I attempted repeatedly to raise my voice within my public sector role, but my attempts were rebuffed. The bureaucracy has clamped down on frank and fearless, impartial advice, in a misplaced determination to support whatever the government decides, (instead of performing its taxpayer-funded duty of providing forthright analysis of alternatives).

While there is scientific argument against lockdowns, there are divergent views on matters such as the effectiveness of masks. I am a mask fanatic but there was never any reason to mandate these debatable requirements. Voluntary, performance-based rules would allow the private sector to innovate, leaving people with the power of agency, to determine their own fate – thereby minimising economic harm, and harm to mental health and general well-being.

So what happens now? Billions of dollars in income and wealth have been wiped out in the name of a virus that is no worse than the Asian flu and which can (even now) be managed by isolating the elderly and taking a range of voluntary, innovative measures. All the border closures, all the lockdowns, all the curfews in Melbourne will not eradicate the virus from planet Earth.

The problem for politicians now is to reverse course without losing their job. I don’t know how they plan to do it but if they don’t do it sooner rather than later the damage to Australia’s future would have become so great it would undo the good work of decades of reform.
Interestingly, the Department of Finance chief seemed to have concerns here but did not come out with them.

We failed badly from mid April onwards where a government drunk on 0% borrowing and kudos decided to keep NPHET in charge of the country far too long than was necessary.

This week was their chance to get that back. They finally stepped back and stopped listening only to the NPHET pioneers who used newspaper cuttings of one off pub outbreaks as their "evidence" for not reopening. They finally looked to get in line with EU on travel, belatedly (after the summer months) providing some support for our tourism sector, another key industry in aviation and also in decency to people who live and work abroad who want to get home. They finally were putting a screen up to NPHET and were looking at wider, cost benefit aspects of decision making.

But in one full swoop, they undermined their own thought out plan with their nonsense of Dublin on level 2. Micheal Martin put on a tour de force in shambolic communication. They are going to continue shitting themselves here as they live day to day and overthink things.
Spot on.
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 10480
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Leinsterman »

danthefan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:41 am We're going away today. The kids were negative so fudge it, going for it.
Damn right. Enjoy the trip
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 63122
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

danthefan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:41 am We're going away today. The kids were negative so fudge it, going for it.
Good to hear.

Probably not actually correct but chances of you guys having picked up two viruses are low I'd have thought, so probably best time to go!
Nolanator
Posts: 39515
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Nolanator »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:08 am
Nolanator wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:01 am Two good friends are planning on getting married in Kerry in December. That's looking less and less likely.
They're in England, most of the guests will be from Dublin, with a not insignificant number travelling internationally.

Shame, was really looking forward to it.
Tbf I wouldn't organise anything like that at the moment. If it's really pressing for VISA reasons or because Grandad is getting on, just do family only.
Oh absolutely. Been organised for ages and they said they're going to make a call at the end of this month. Any questions and they'll just postpone an entire year. No chance things will be clear by then.

Couple of my cousins have had a shit time with reorganising weddings recently. One guy was due to get married in April. They'd paid for everything in March and have spent a daft amount (IMO). Had a quiet family wedding in July, but they're still trying to organise the big event as they can't get loads of their money back. Another cousin was supposed to marry in August, but that was rescheduled for next March/April. Entirely possible that that won't be allowed to happen either.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 63122
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

To be honest, a quiet wedding and then a piss up without the wedding stress isn't the worst thing in the world. We'll all need a proper party when this is all over.
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 15670
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

EverReady wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:55 am Possible alright Nols but I keep hope that government will cop on. As I was saying and that lad also alludes to politics has had so much to do with the response all over the world. You would presume when the wheels are nearly completely off they will give it up and act
I saw a good tweet that this has been a bad few months for those who dream of technocrat government too.

I think it will take a vaccine being released and at least starting the vaccination process of frontline healthcare workers and the elderly for rationality to return. Fingers crossed the geeks got it right.
Nolanator
Posts: 39515
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Nolanator »

CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:55 am To be honest, a quiet wedding and then a piss up without the wedding stress isn't the worst thing in the world. We'll all need a proper party when this is all over.
Yeah, should be a fun day, when they finally go ahead. Plenty of saved up energy.
User avatar
redderneck
Posts: 15851
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: We'll Never Forget You Geordan D'Arcy

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by redderneck »

In a decade's time there will be statues of Michael MacDowell littering the urban landscape of this great nation of ours. Pubs? Welcome to Cafe Society lads.
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 10480
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Leinsterman »

Voluntary, performance-based rules would allow the private sector to innovate, leaving people with the power of agency, to determine their own fate
So what exactly does he mean by "performance-based rules" and innovation is not exactly the right expression to use for something like this.
It's all a bit "morkeshing speak"

I agreed with the sentiment for the rest of the article though
Last edited by Leinsterman on Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
iarmhiman
Posts: 44138
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by iarmhiman »

When this is all over end of next year hopefully, imagine what the price of flights,hotels and package holidays will be.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 63122
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

Plenty of stupid people ignoring the positive test or doing what you mentioned earlier (I'm staying home! With 20 of my closest friends.....).

I suppose that's the other side of the coin, idiots are going to idiot and the rest of us get punished. That said, we're probably all guilty of not keeping a bit of distance between ourselves and close family and friends.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 39853
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

EverReady wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:50 am
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:49 am
CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:39 am What's an acceptable number of deaths/patients in ICU over the next few months ER?
We're back!
He's absolutely gone off on one. Lockdown has him wet
For a guy named Statto he disappointingly has no concept of statistics
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 39853
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

iarmhiman wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:09 am When this is all over end of next year hopefully, imagine what the price of flights,hotels and package holidays will be.
Most likely there will be fewer airlines and fewer travel agents - prices will be insane
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 39853
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

EverReady wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:23 am
CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:16 am Plenty of stupid people ignoring the positive test or doing what you mentioned earlier (I'm staying home! With 20 of my closest friends.....).

I suppose that's the other side of the coin, idiots are going to idiot and the rest of us get punished. That said, we're probably all guilty of not keeping a bit of distance between ourselves and close family and friends.
Nah we've been pretty good. Parents no hugs though the kids forget sometimes. Don't see them as much. Generally everything is a little bit distant. My 4 year old popped into the shops with the missus the other day to get milk and they realised she hadn't been in the shops since March.
What is this hug your grandparents bollox. My lifetime total hugs received from grandparents? 0. This country has gone so soft.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 39853
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:25 am Ah the HSE are being directed on this Duff. Which is why we don't have the ridiculous situation in the UK with two separate stats (are they still doing that?).
The HSE just test everyone and report it as a covid death or not depending on the test result. Dying with covid or dying from covid are not the same thing but it’s all recorded as covid deaths. Is it a ridiculous situation if a terminal cancer patient dies of organ failure but gets labelled as a covid death as they had a positive test result?
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 63122
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

EverReady wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:23 am
CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:16 am Plenty of stupid people ignoring the positive test or doing what you mentioned earlier (I'm staying home! With 20 of my closest friends.....).

I suppose that's the other side of the coin, idiots are going to idiot and the rest of us get punished. That said, we're probably all guilty of not keeping a bit of distance between ourselves and close family and friends.
Nah we've been pretty good. Parents no hugs though the kids forget sometimes. Don't see them as much. Generally everything is a little bit distant. My 4 year old popped into the shops with the missus the other day to get milk and they realised she hadn't been in the shops since March.
My parents have a better social life than me. They feel a bit affronted when I insist we sit out if at all possible!

Tbf, the younger kids aren't distancing from them, although we don't see them often, but I'm taking the line that the risk of my younger kids both having covid and spreading it, is minimal and there's only so much you can do.

Adults in general are relaxing a lot from what I've seen. While the risk outside is minimal, I think some seem to believe it's non existent. I'm not expecting two metre radiuses but maybe get your few further away than a few inches when you're talking to me?
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 63122
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:37 am
CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:25 am Ah the HSE are being directed on this Duff. Which is why we don't have the ridiculous situation in the UK with two separate stats (are they still doing that?).
The HSE just test everyone and report it as a covid death or not depending on the test result. Dying with covid or dying from covid are not the same thing but it’s all recorded as covid deaths. Is it a ridiculous situation if a terminal cancer patient dies of organ failure but gets labelled as a covid death as they had a positive test result?
And they have been directed by the government to do that, in line with WHO recommendations.

Of course there's deaths in there which aren't strict covid deaths but as I've already said, I think you're overegging how many. Even if it's half our deaths, that still puts covid way higher than flu.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 39853
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:41 am
Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:37 am
CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:25 am Ah the HSE are being directed on this Duff. Which is why we don't have the ridiculous situation in the UK with two separate stats (are they still doing that?).
The HSE just test everyone and report it as a covid death or not depending on the test result. Dying with covid or dying from covid are not the same thing but it’s all recorded as covid deaths. Is it a ridiculous situation if a terminal cancer patient dies of organ failure but gets labelled as a covid death as they had a positive test result?
And they have been directed by the government to do that, in line with WHO recommendations.

Of course there's deaths in there which aren't strict covid deaths but as I've already said, I think you're overegging how many. Even if it's half our deaths, that still puts covid way higher than flu.
There we go with the flu again
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 63122
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:22 am
EverReady wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:50 am
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:49 am
CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:39 am What's an acceptable number of deaths/patients in ICU over the next few months ER?
We're back!
He's absolutely gone off on one. Lockdown has him wet
For a guy named Statto he disappointingly has no concept of statistics
Asking you to give me your view about what numbers are statistically significant means I have no concept?

All I've asked today is to see where you guys stand on what is acceptable and all you've done is dodge the question and abuse me.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 63122
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:42 am
CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:41 am
Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:37 am
CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:25 am Ah the HSE are being directed on this Duff. Which is why we don't have the ridiculous situation in the UK with two separate stats (are they still doing that?).
The HSE just test everyone and report it as a covid death or not depending on the test result. Dying with covid or dying from covid are not the same thing but it’s all recorded as covid deaths. Is it a ridiculous situation if a terminal cancer patient dies of organ failure but gets labelled as a covid death as they had a positive test result?
And they have been directed by the government to do that, in line with WHO recommendations.

Of course there's deaths in there which aren't strict covid deaths but as I've already said, I think you're overegging how many. Even if it's half our deaths, that still puts covid way higher than flu.
There we go with the flu again
Well it is the virus most mentioned each year in terms of overwhelming the hospitals and causing deaths. Not sure why you'd have a problem with the comparison.
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 10480
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Leinsterman »

Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:32 am What is this hug your grandparents bollox. My lifetime total hugs received from grandparents? 0. This country has gone so soft.
My kids constantly hug their grandparents. They do see an awful lot of them though. I really don't see anything wrong with it. It's not as if the grandparents are on the spectrum
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 63122
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

Leinsterman wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:52 am
Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:32 am What is this hug your grandparents bollox. My lifetime total hugs received from grandparents? 0. This country has gone so soft.
My kids constantly hug their grandparents. They do see an awful lot of them though. I really don't see anything wrong with it. It's not as if the grandparents are on the spectrum
There also has to be a bit of personal responsibility in the older cohort (and I'm not suggesting they're adverse to this). The risk is small for kids transferring and if grandparents are still uncomfortable then it's up to them to say so.
Post Reply