Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
EverReady

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by EverReady »

Duff Paddy wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:Are the greens going after civil servants and their bizarrely generous private car allowances - mileage and no BiK in car parking spaces? Go Eamo go :lol:
The mileage one they have been shiteing on about for a while at council level as in they want to reduce allowances for bigger emissions cars. It's the reason they are hated in rural areas and lose votes by the geansai load every election. Providing car parking is not benefit in kind
It’s only not BiK for political reasons - city centre parking is most certainly a BiK by definition
Not if it is provided. It just happens to be where they work. Civil servants have guided this country from being a provincial shithole to a world leader. A few car parking spaces is not a big deal you green eyed fücks. Long live the Sir Humphrey's
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

danthefan wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:Are the greens going after civil servants and their bizarrely generous private car allowances - mileage and no BiK in car parking spaces? Go Eamo go :lol:
Worked on a project a few years ago in a semi state and got the public service mileage allowance, honestly it was outrageous. It tapers off after a certain number of kms driven but I was able to claim over a grand a month for about 6 months just for driving to work.

Back off Eamo!
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

You are alright Mullet. You have to be named. There was an issue a few years back where top lads had named spaces and we're liable for BiK.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Back in the late eighties I was working for an Engineering consultancy giving transport advice to the then Dublin Transportation Agency. One of the projects we worked on was discouraging people bringing cars into the city centre and leaving them sit there for 8 hours a day. The civil servants initially saw this as a future revenue stream with BIK charged for car parking spaces. We undertook a survey of available car parking spaces in Dublin City Centre and found that just more than half of them were provided to public servants of one sort or another, with quite a few public servants entitled to and having two parking spaces in the city centre. The survey and consequent report were quickly buried, and the idea of charging BIK for parking spaces dropped as not enforceable,

True story that.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Join us cyclists Mullet we are a morally superior better class of person
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

They didn't know they had the spaces. Get out of that garden
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

I believe even ex-TD’s have free parking rights at Leinster house for a number of years after they leave office.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

EverReady wrote:They didn't know they had the spaces. Get out of that garden
They thought the provision of spaces in the private sector was far far greater than it turned out to be.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Nah. On or two may have thought that but they have some clever dudes that can count car parks
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

No wonder McHugh has speaking rights with you filthy crusties
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

EverReady wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Worked on a project a few years ago in a semi state and got the public service mileage allowance, honestly it was outrageous. It tapers off after a certain number of kms driven but I was able to claim over a grand a month for about 6 months just for driving to work.
You submitted fraudulent claims then and should be arrested. You cannot claim from home unless the distance to the place you are visiting, not your base, is shorter. The rates are pretty shit these days as well if you are doing below 1500km a year. Over that they get ok up to about 5000 and then fall off a cliff. Dan you are lying and I am calling it out. I want you banned
The new rates aren't vastly different to the ones that have been in place since 2008. They reduced they be about 25% back then.
There new ones are a bummer until you get over 1500km alright.
My lot match the civil service rate and it works out about the same in terms of what I get over the year with these new rates that were intriduced 2 years ago compared to the previous ones.
They're also supposed to cover general wear and tear, servicing, tyres etc.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Having my designated parking space 30 feet from Stephen’s Green is my God given right
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Wasn't the fudge for BIK spaces to just not officially assign spaces (even though you would never be allowed park in some spaces for 'mysterious' reasons) so no one had a guaranteed space to have to pay BIK on?
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

CM11 wrote:Wasn't the fudge for BIK spaces to just not officially assign spaces (even though you would never be allowed park in some spaces for 'mysterious' reasons) so no one had a guaranteed space to have to pay BIK on?
And hasn't it worked a treat
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

CM11 wrote:Wasn't the fudge for BIK spaces to just not officially assign spaces (even though you would never be allowed park in some spaces for 'mysterious' reasons) so no one had a guaranteed space to have to pay BIK on?
And it is reckoned it wouldn't stand Revenue scrutiny, since the right to a car space comes with yourjob grade in the Public Service.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

camroc1 wrote:
And it is reckoned it wouldn't stand Revenue scrutiny, since the right to a car space comes with yourjob grade in the Public Service.
Anybody ever try and run it by Revenue? Doubt there'd be much appetite to bring the case.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Not while Revenue have their carpark anyway :lol:
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

Mullet 2 wrote:Not while Revenue have their carpark anyway :lol:
Do they all have one though?

Bound to be some passed over resentful Revenue officers in the Castle. :lol:
Liathroidigloine

Post by Liathroidigloine »

anonymous_joe wrote:
Do they all have one though?

Bound to be some passed over resentful Revenue officers in the Castle. :lol:
Didn't it turnout that something like 60-70% of civil servants would have been hit for BIK on parking spaces and that's why the measure was quietly dropped?
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

That's why I'm asking about the angry underlings!
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

exactly ; its the unvouched and untaxed expenses that pisses me off ; anyway, good old Eamo, finally someone taking on the bloated money sink of a public service
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

The TDs can't do shit either while they have the front of the Parliament turned into a carpark.

Its actually a joke at this stage that I'm looking at Mary's 2007 Avensus on 6.01 parked 20 feet from the parliament of Ireland.
ticketlessinseattle

CarrotGawks wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
CM11 wrote:
nardol wrote:Makes sense as tax taken this year is based on earnings last year (when there was no covid lockdown)

(corp tax prepayment - vat and other vagaries left to one side)
Income tax is only marginally behind last year overall.
what that tells you is that hardly anyone in the affected sectors in Ireland (food, tourism, pubs, retail etc) pays any fvcking income tax

never has there been a clearer indication of the narrowness of the tax base in this country
You know my opinion on this. Everyone should pay some tax, even if they are net recipients from the system. People who pay tax have an interest in how it is spent, people who get everything for nothing don't really give a shit about how tax is spent (and I would be the same if I got everything for "free").
This is the great pontificator, Michael D's point. People should contribute, but rather than Universal Basic Income there should be Universal Basic Services.

I was away for the weekend. It was a bit of a nightmare. Family, siblings and other halfs in one house for two and a half days. But on Sunday night I sat outside in the garden with three beers lined up, and a cigar. There was chatter coming from the surrounding houses as people had parties, but I sat in the dark, cool night, on a relatively comfy chair, and drank my beers and smoked my cigar and thought my thoughts. It was the best ninety minutes I'd had in yonks.

People should have access to that type of thing. However shite it gets in Ireland, give someone an evening of absolute peace every few months, beneath the stars, or away with themselves, and you'd see a lot less issues. How to achieve this without people f**king it up, I don't know. But Miggeldy (and Eamonn Ryan) is right, we're far from the worse, but there are some things people don't have they absolutely should. Frivolous stuff. Stuff that is absolutely good for the soul.

a "cigar" ? riiighhhhhttttt :lol:
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Is there anybody doing a decent politics/current affairs podcast in the Irish space or is the market just too small to make a go of it?

Honestly, the 10 minute slots on radio with constant interruption just doesnt cut it anymore.
ticketlessinseattle

a apropos of nothing - water quality for swimming website

https://www.beaches.ie

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environ ... -1.4283628
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:The mob attacking Laura Whitmore on Twitter is very unbecoming. Shinners are unable to grasp that this kind of stuff makes a United Ireland far more unpalatable to Unionists. The sad thing is that their antics online is breeding this attitude amongst younger people in the south too.
Why are you following Laura Whitmore :lol: seriously twitter, it’s an awful cesspit - thankfully nobody in the real world seems too bothered by it
It was big across social media , I don't think you had to follow her.

I disagree on the real world. I was completely wrong about the impact of it, it influences journalists to a ridiculous degree and stokes fires for stories. See the RIC nonsense pre election.
Blackrock Bullet

Duff Paddy wrote: Tony Holohan is the leader of the group, he speaks on behalf of the entire panel. This guy is just giving his tuppence worth and pretending he is has a clue about the likelihood of a second wave. He’s just guessing, it’s based on nothing.
He isn't pretending, he is giving his opinion, like anyone else can. The WHO actually reflect this view, I'm not sure where you're getting off on here even. They have stated they see this as a big wave with ripples across regions.
Blackrock Bullet

Duff Paddy wrote:I believe even ex-TD’s have free parking rights at Leinster house for a number of years after they leave office.
The front and back lawn of Leinster House is a disgrace.

Non TDs but the Customs House is a disgrace as well.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

KaChing.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:I believe even ex-TD’s have free parking rights at Leinster house for a number of years after they leave office.
The front and back lawn of Leinster House is a disgrace.

Non TDs but the Customs House is a disgrace as well.
Once unity comes about, they will need to make the Dáil chamber bigger, and will look at the National Museum building for extension; moving it to new purpose built building(s) on the Collins Barracks site. At that stage they should look at putting an underground car park beneath Leinster Lawn, and ban all surface car parking on the Oireachtas campus.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Or we could do it now
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:The mob attacking Laura Whitmore on Twitter is very unbecoming. Shinners are unable to grasp that this kind of stuff makes a United Ireland far more unpalatable to Unionists. The sad thing is that their antics online is breeding this attitude amongst younger people in the south too.
Why are you following Laura Whitmore :lol: seriously twitter, it’s an awful cesspit - thankfully nobody in the real world seems too bothered by it
It was big across social media , I don't think you had to follow her.

I disagree on the real world. I was completely wrong about the impact of it, it influences journalists to a ridiculous degree and stokes fires for stories. See the RIC nonsense pre election.
Well I agree with that point - lazy journalists trawling twitter for outrage - it’s a dangerous game. Ciara Kelly Talking about it on newstalk now - a complete non story. Delete the app, who cares
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Mullet 2 wrote:Or we could do it now
Good point, well made.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Is NAMAgate going to come back and bite the DUP in the arse ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/com ... -1.4323694
Blackrock Bullet

That isn't going to cut it now Duff, it's here and not going away. It's incredibly influential.

It's like trying to ignore the impact of Red Tops on the UK political scene 30 years ago. You might not like it but you can't ignore it.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:That isn't going to cut it now Duff, it's here and not going away. It's incredibly influential.

It's like trying to ignore the impact of Red Tops on the UK political scene 30 years ago. You might not like it but you can't ignore it.
I meant for your own sanity as much as anything. Agree it is a malign influence on society and back mullets proposal to make people post under their real names, irony aside
ticketlessinseattle

in fairness to Roger Furlong, he's been doing it along
Blackrock Bullet

Duff Paddy wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:That isn't going to cut it now Duff, it's here and not going away. It's incredibly influential.

I meant for your own sanity as much as anything. Agree it is a malign influence on society and back mullets proposal to make people post under their real names, irony aside
Twitter is still a good source of info. I actually only got wind of the mob last night US time here after a couple of decent people I follow mentioned it. The likes of David Higgins.

I leave it to Floppy to find the real mentalists on there, for the most part. :P
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Well I agree with that point - lazy journalists trawling twitter for outrage - it’s a dangerous game. Ciara Kelly Talking about it on newstalk now - a complete non story. Delete the app, who cares
Let me guess, she's taking the deliberately obtuse or contrarian line to get Muppets to text in.
ticketlessinseattle

Sandycove at lunch time with tide in and diving off the pier with kids - happy days ; water quality way better than around Seapoint and Sandymount is a no go ; given up on finding a staycation - day trips and a few days doing that and thats it