Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 13235
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Bwen
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Bwen »

This isn't really having a go at the man but more at the state of our media. TCD's Tomas Ryan has got a lot of airtime recently commenting on COVID and the need to go zero COVID. However looking at his Google Scholar, https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl ... by=pubdate , the lads a neuroscientist with some bloody interesting research (essentially Minority Report). However the lad is nowhere near being an expert in the field of anything COVID related and the media using him as an expert opinion is incredibly disingenuous in my opinion. Fair play to him though, massively raised his profile and that of his department, should help him win some funding in the rat race that is academia these days.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 58129
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:40 am Thule are class. Pricey but very well made. You need a light board if it’s going to block your brake lights
Yeah, can't go wrong with Thule. We have some on the roof so can't recommend a boot one but between the roof and bike racks they're very simple to install and use.
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 9019
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Leinsterman »

Bwen wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:53 am This isn't really having a go at the man but more at the state of our media. TCD's Tomas Ryan has got a lot of airtime recently commenting on COVID and the need to go zero COVID. However looking at his Google Scholar, https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl ... by=pubdate , the lads a neuroscientist with some bloody interesting research (essentially Minority Report). However the lad is nowhere near being an expert in the field of anything COVID related and the media using him as an expert opinion is incredibly disingenuous in my opinion. Fair play to him though, massively raised his profile and that of his department, should help him win some funding in the rat race that is academia these days.
I was banging that drum on the previous page. He needs to be told to piss off at this stage.
Nolanator
Posts: 37842
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Nolanator »

Bwen wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:53 am This isn't really having a go at the man but more at the state of our media. TCD's Tomas Ryan has got a lot of airtime recently commenting on COVID and the need to go zero COVID. However looking at his Google Scholar, https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl ... by=pubdate , the lads a neuroscientist with some bloody interesting research (essentially Minority Report). However the lad is nowhere near being an expert in the field of anything COVID related and the media using him as an expert opinion is incredibly disingenuous in my opinion. Fair play to him though, massively raised his profile and that of his department, should help him win some funding in the rat race that is academia these days.
I've a higher h-index than him, and am a researcher in Trinity. RTE should be asking me about this stuff.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 34775
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 am https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4356244

Dissent is not tolerated
The estimated death rate for Covid-19 is 10 times that of seasonal flu, four leading TCD scientists pointed out,
Four scientists sitting in trinners never seen a sick person in their lives versus an actual consultant vascular surgeon with an impeccable clinical CV.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 58129
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 am https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4356244

Dissent is not tolerated
The estimated death rate for Covid-19 is 10 times that of seasonal flu, four leading TCD scientists pointed out,
Four scientists sitting in trinners never seen a sick person in their lives versus an actual consultant vascular surgeon with an impeccable clinical CV.
I don't see how his comments were helpful. How do we pick the cohort that aren't at risk when perfectly healthy people have ended up in ICU with some dying?

It's also misleading because it's obviously more serious than flu for a significant proportion of the population.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 58129
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

The problem is that economists shouldn't be making health decisions and health practitioners shouldn't be making economic decisions but the reality is that the government, most of whom are neither, have to make decisions with information fed by both. And there is no right answer, which makes it worse. Only a best guess.
Bwen
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Bwen »

Nolanator wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am
Bwen wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:53 am This isn't really having a go at the man but more at the state of our media. TCD's Tomas Ryan has got a lot of airtime recently commenting on COVID and the need to go zero COVID. However looking at his Google Scholar, https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl ... by=pubdate , the lads a neuroscientist with some bloody interesting research (essentially Minority Report). However the lad is nowhere near being an expert in the field of anything COVID related and the media using him as an expert opinion is incredibly disingenuous in my opinion. Fair play to him though, massively raised his profile and that of his department, should help him win some funding in the rat race that is academia these days.
I've a higher h-index than him, and am a researcher in Trinity. RTE should be asking me about this stuff.
You haven't already created your own new shiny research group that will solve COVID? RTE is only dying to give you the platform to talk shite about it.
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 39858
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by camroc1 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 am https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4356244

Dissent is not tolerated
The estimated death rate for Covid-19 is 10 times that of seasonal flu, four leading TCD scientists pointed out,
Four scientists sitting in trinners never seen a sick person in their lives versus an actual consultant vascular surgeon with an impeccable clinical CV.
I deeply suspect the assertion that 33% of the Irish population are in “high risk groups”.
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 13235
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 am https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4356244

Dissent is not tolerated
The estimated death rate for Covid-19 is 10 times that of seasonal flu, four leading TCD scientists pointed out,
Four scientists sitting in trinners never seen a sick person in their lives versus an actual consultant vascular surgeon with an impeccable clinical CV.
Which scientists? I've seen some wildly different IFR estimates but 1% is on the very high side at this point.
Nolanator
Posts: 37842
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Nolanator »

Bwen wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:04 pm
Nolanator wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am
Bwen wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:53 am This isn't really having a go at the man but more at the state of our media. TCD's Tomas Ryan has got a lot of airtime recently commenting on COVID and the need to go zero COVID. However looking at his Google Scholar, https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl ... by=pubdate , the lads a neuroscientist with some bloody interesting research (essentially Minority Report). However the lad is nowhere near being an expert in the field of anything COVID related and the media using him as an expert opinion is incredibly disingenuous in my opinion. Fair play to him though, massively raised his profile and that of his department, should help him win some funding in the rat race that is academia these days.
I've a higher h-index than him, and am a researcher in Trinity. RTE should be asking me about this stuff.
You haven't already created your own new shiny research group that will solve COVID? RTE is only dying to give you the platform to talk shite about it.
Saw a bit of blowback on academic twitter a few months ago giving out about academics applying to Covid specific funding streams that were created around March/April. Dickheads jumping on an opportunity to get more money into their groups and completely ignoring the spirit of what it was really meant for.
I work on materials for electrodes for energy applications, but could (if I really tried) put together a compelling argument and proposal that they could be developed as electrodes for sensing applications that could be used for developing rapid diagnostic platforms. I have no expertise in the field, but there were people still trying it on.

The nature of the "industry" leads to that behaviour though. Securing funding and keeping your metrics up is just too important and drives some very shitty behaviour that wouldn't fly in other areas. Some groups heads were getting their research categorised as important to the Covid response, so their labs could stay open during lockdowns. Getting postdocs and PhD students to commute in and continue working on completely unrelated stuff in the middle of a pandemic lockdown.
Last edited by Nolanator on Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 58129
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

camroc1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:09 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 am https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4356244

Dissent is not tolerated
The estimated death rate for Covid-19 is 10 times that of seasonal flu, four leading TCD scientists pointed out,
Four scientists sitting in trinners never seen a sick person in their lives versus an actual consultant vascular surgeon with an impeccable clinical CV.
I deeply suspect the assertion that 33% of the Irish population are in “high risk groups”.
Underlying conditions anyway. For starters, a quarter of the population are obese.

50% of over 45s suffer from high blood pressure too apparently.
User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 30862
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by EverReady »

Leinsterman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:46 am
EverReady wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:39 am :nod:
Leinsterman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:35 am Anyone any recommendations for bike racks for cars?
Car doesn't have a tow-hook so looking for one that attaches to the boot rather than one for the roof.
Anyone got one of those? Cost? Brand etc?
Decathlon have one that is cheap and works. Doesn't work on my car though :frown:
I've a saloon. Is yours an estate?
I'd been looking at the Decathlon one
Exactly. Should fit yours. The bad reviews for it are all people who didn't check what type of car it fit.
User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 30862
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by EverReady »

CM11 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:18 pm
camroc1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:09 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 am https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4356244

Dissent is not tolerated
The estimated death rate for Covid-19 is 10 times that of seasonal flu, four leading TCD scientists pointed out,
Four scientists sitting in trinners never seen a sick person in their lives versus an actual consultant vascular surgeon with an impeccable clinical CV.
I deeply suspect the assertion that 33% of the Irish population are in “high risk groups”.
Underlying conditions anyway. For starters, a quarter of the population are obese.

50% of over 45s suffer from high blood pressure too apparently.
Obesity isn't included. Lots of other at risk groups aren't really at risk. Everything was thrown in back in March and nothing has come back out again. WHO are to blame as well as they play their own political game
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 39858
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by camroc1 »

CM11 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:18 pm
camroc1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:09 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 am https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4356244

Dissent is not tolerated
The estimated death rate for Covid-19 is 10 times that of seasonal flu, four leading TCD scientists pointed out,
Four scientists sitting in trinners never seen a sick person in their lives versus an actual consultant vascular surgeon with an impeccable clinical CV.
I deeply suspect the assertion that 33% of the Irish population are in “high risk groups”.
Underlying conditions anyway. For starters, a quarter of the population are obese.

50% of over 45s suffer from high blood pressure too apparently.
The median age for deaths in Ireland is something like 84, ffs, and the death rates for under 60sis insignificant.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 58129
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 30862
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by EverReady »

It has to be the most benign new disease for most people in an age and we have wrecked the world for it. It came at the wrong time when the world was in flux and social media actors are out of control. It will be a great book to read. Better than the Trump and Brexshit ones
User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 30862
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by EverReady »

CM11 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:29 pm When was obesity removed?

https://hselibrary.ie/what-is-the-risk- ... evere-ill/
Mixed up very high risk group and high risk. Everybody is nearly in the high risk group
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 58129
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

camroc1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:27 pm
CM11 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:18 pm
camroc1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:09 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 am https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4356244

Dissent is not tolerated
The estimated death rate for Covid-19 is 10 times that of seasonal flu, four leading TCD scientists pointed out,
Four scientists sitting in trinners never seen a sick person in their lives versus an actual consultant vascular surgeon with an impeccable clinical CV.
I deeply suspect the assertion that 33% of the Irish population are in “high risk groups”.
Underlying conditions anyway. For starters, a quarter of the population are obese.

50% of over 45s suffer from high blood pressure too apparently.
The median age for deaths in Ireland is something like 84, ffs, and the death rates for under 60sis insignificant.
121 under 65s
Another 254 under 75s.

Looking at a random flu report in March (probably end of flu season), a total of 101 deaths were attributed to flu across all ages for the season. 16 in under 65s.
User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 30862
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by EverReady »

Stats that is because of the way it was recorded. Have you been away for the last 12 months?
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 58129
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

I thought I'd look at the previous season for comparison. A report from the middle of February 2019 showed 34 deaths that season.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 58129
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

The flu season was pretty much over before our first covid case, btw.
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 13235
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

CM11 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:47 pm The flu season was pretty much over before our first covid case, btw.
May is the end, no?

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/inf ... cereports/
User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 30862
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by EverReady »

CM11 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:47 pm The flu season was pretty much over before our first covid case, btw.
I know yeah. My point is they would now record an 84 year old with heart disease as dying of Clive not heart disease while 6 months ago they would have said heart disease. The parameters have completely changed and in fact I am surprised there are that many recorded as flu

Edit: Covid not Clive. I haven't looked but the numbers of deaths at the hands of Clive are low
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 39858
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by camroc1 »

EverReady wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:52 pm
CM11 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:47 pm The flu season was pretty much over before our first covid case, btw.
I know yeah. My point is they would now record an 84 year old with heart disease as dying of Clive not heart disease while 6 months ago they would have said heart disease. The parameters have completely changed and in fact I am surprised there are that many recorded as flu
“Clive” : and so a new boredism is created.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 58129
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

EverReady wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:52 pm
CM11 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:47 pm The flu season was pretty much over before our first covid case, btw.
I know yeah. My point is they would now record an 84 year old with heart disease as dying of Clive not heart disease while 6 months ago they would have said heart disease. The parameters have completely changed and in fact I am surprised there are that many recorded as flu

Edit: Covid not Clive. I haven't looked but the numbers of deaths at the hands of Clive are low
And that's fair enough but even if you just look at those dying in hospital, it's significant. Nearly as many people died in ICU alone from/with covid as they did for the whole flu season. And the point about covid is that it's a blood disease as well so you can't just dismiss covid when they die of heart failure. Whatever about the stress a respiratory disease puts on your heart.

I'll reiterate my viewpoint from the start, trying to figure out the right public measures with the info to date is extremely difficult and I don't envy the people having to make what is, as I said earlier, a best guess.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 58129
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

Incidentally, most of the cases admitted to ICU in the last week or so, seem to have been diagnosed with covid over 2 weeks ago, which shows the lag between testing positive and it becoming serious.

Also, that ICU spokesperson in Limerick did have to tempt fate, didn't she?
Nolanator
Posts: 37842
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Nolanator »

What exactly is the purpose of that account? :?
User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 30862
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by EverReady »

They can't stop. They'd need a third party to come into NPHET and do an audit and ask hard questions. They'd need to ask hard questions all over the health service. I don't know if I mentioned it but I got a last minute call to attend allied health in St Lukes. They are the weight, swallow, don't go mental crew. In I went last week, seen, no bother. The consultants are still not proposing to see me or other patients until the New Year!!! I thought they didn't want us on-site spreading the disease but nope thats clearly not the issue as there I was.
Nolanator
Posts: 37842
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Nolanator »

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-weddin ... 0-Sep2020/

"Distinct possibility" of DUblin going to level 3. It's definitely happening and they're just softening the blow for when it's announced, aren't they?

What does that mean, in practice? Mostly just about mixing households etc?
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 39858
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by camroc1 »

CM11 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:06 pm Incidentally, most of the cases admitted to ICU in the last week or so, seem to have been diagnosed with covid over 2 weeks ago, which shows the lag between testing positive and it becoming serious.

Also, that ICU spokesperson in Limerick did have to tempt fate, didn't she?
I suspect that the 59 patients who contracted coved when already in hospital may have something to do with ICU cases increasing.
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 13235
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Nolanator wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:07 pm
What exactly is the purpose of that account? :?
Not sure. Just thought it was interesting. David Higgins tweeted it out.
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 13235
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

camroc1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:13 pm
CM11 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:06 pm Incidentally, most of the cases admitted to ICU in the last week or so, seem to have been diagnosed with covid over 2 weeks ago, which shows the lag between testing positive and it becoming serious.

Also, that ICU spokesperson in Limerick did have to tempt fate, didn't she?
I suspect that the 59 patients who contracted coved when already in hospital may have something to do with ICU cases increasing.
Any follow up to that?
Nolanator
Posts: 37842
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Nolanator »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:14 pm
Nolanator wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:07 pm
What exactly is the purpose of that account? :?
Not sure. Just thought it was interesting. David Higgins tweeted it out.
Strikes me as one of those "it's a DISGRACE" type accounts that only serve to let people wind themselves up and go a bit bananas unnecessarily.

Also, clicked a random profile in the Journal comments that was making lots of posts giving out shit about the government. So many red flags. Reference to 1916 in the twitter handle, some Irish literature extract in the bio, registered in May2020. Smelliest of smelly accounts.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 58129
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

camroc1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:13 pm
CM11 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:06 pm Incidentally, most of the cases admitted to ICU in the last week or so, seem to have been diagnosed with covid over 2 weeks ago, which shows the lag between testing positive and it becoming serious.

Also, that ICU spokesperson in Limerick did have to tempt fate, didn't she?
I suspect that the 59 patients who contracted coved when already in hospital may have something to do with ICU cases increasing.
Nope. Well not the 59 in the latest report.

Of the cases notified in the last 14 days 3 have been admitted to ICU. In other words, the remaining 6 or so (I've lost count between admissions, discharges and deaths) tested positive over 14 days ago.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 58129
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

Nolanator wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:07 pm
What exactly is the purpose of that account? :?
I have to admit, I'm ashamed to say, that I had a peak at the list out of interest. :blush:
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 34775
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

CM11 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:59 am
Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 am https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4356244

Dissent is not tolerated
The estimated death rate for Covid-19 is 10 times that of seasonal flu, four leading TCD scientists pointed out,
Four scientists sitting in trinners never seen a sick person in their lives versus an actual consultant vascular surgeon with an impeccable clinical CV.
I don't see how his comments were helpful. How do we pick the cohort that aren't at risk when perfectly healthy people have ended up in ICU with some dying?

It's also misleading because it's obviously more serious than flu for a significant proportion of the population.
He’s right and he’ll be proved right over the next few years
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 39858
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by camroc1 »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:16 pm
camroc1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:13 pm
CM11 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:06 pm Incidentally, most of the cases admitted to ICU in the last week or so, seem to have been diagnosed with covid over 2 weeks ago, which shows the lag between testing positive and it becoming serious.

Also, that ICU spokesperson in Limerick did have to tempt fate, didn't she?
I suspect that the 59 patients who contracted coved when already in hospital may have something to do with ICU cases increasing.
Any follow up to that?
Yep. The 14 day epidemiology report linked yesterday shows 3 cases hospitalised and admitted to ICU in the last 14 days even though numbers in ICU have gone from 6 to 14 in the same time frame
Post Reply