Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
HighKingLeinster

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by HighKingLeinster »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:37 pm
EverReady wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:34 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:31 pm
CM11 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:21 pm He's right that there's a certain group where it's less dangerous than flu? Eh, that's hardly a secret.
So why was he forced to resign
It is fücked up but his conscience is clear. His problem is how weak the politicians are. I know it myself as I am not that militant on it all bar the joshing on here yet I get called Gemma now regularly. In itself that is funny but the facts are any dissent and you are marked as a right wing loon. I am not
Sure I’ve been called an anti vaxxer on here. I’m probably the most pro science person you could meet.
bullshit. I have personally watch all series of the big bang theory. twice :smug:
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

I see Iarmhí, YoYo and ER are doing Trojan work on the Brexit thread ( with a soupcon of Mullet also thrown in).

Kudos :thumbup: ; but, Jesus, it must get difficult dealing with the Brexiteer infantile shite all the time.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Fcuk this, I thought I'd avoided that bloody cold doing the rounds and had only got a very mild version of it.
Woke up feeling crap this morning, then felt a bit better but now feel like death. This is WORSE than the 'Rona.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

camroc1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:05 pm I see Iarmhí, YoYo and ER are doing Trojan work on the Brexit thread ( with a soupcon of Mullet also thrown in).

Kudos :thumbup: ; but, Jesus, it must get difficult dealing with the Brexiteer infantile shite all the time.
I only dip in as it would drive you insane otherwise
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Leinsterman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:09 pm Fcuk this, I thought I'd avoided that bloody cold doing the rounds and had only got a very mild version of it.
Woke up feeling crap this morning, then felt a bit better but now feel like death. This is WORSE than the 'Rona.
Defo. I have the sweats all day and a tickly cough. I did stay up last night and drink a bottle of wine but I don't think that has come into play
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Leinsterman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:09 pm Fcuk this, I thought I'd avoided that bloody cold doing the rounds and had only got a very mild version of it.
Yep, same trajectory as me. It seems to be a 2-3 day thing, I'm hoping anyway.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

EverReady wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:13 pm
camroc1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:05 pm I see Iarmhí, YoYo and ER are doing Trojan work on the Brexit thread ( with a soupcon of Mullet also thrown in).

I only dip in as it would drive you insane otherwise
Message is the worst I've ever argued with.

Boris knew he could win with that amount of ignorant people there for pickings.

Wonder where the thick Paddy stereotype came from as our worst are nowhere as stupid as the likes of message
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

EverReady wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:16 pm
Defo. I have the sweats all day and a tickly cough. I did stay up last night and drink a bottle of wine but I don't think that has come into play
Legging down to pick up the kids from school didn't help with the sweats x(
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

It was evident a few years ago the remainers had been absolutely out played on every level. The worst part of it is seeing them all and I mean the vast majority saying just get on with it, we voted out let's get out, anything is better than this, we don't like the EU more now. Are they really that stupid that wouldn't use their energy to try and bring about meaningful change rather than 'nah straight off the cliff for me'. I remember when Jacob said it will be 2050 before.the benefits start accruing, i.e. don't moan at me while I am alive, that I knew they were fücked
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:58 pm After Desmond's PR stunt and his wife's court case, this is great news.

Hopefully Cairn get going on this ASAP, they've let a few sites sit around for a while.
Another interesting construction story is the refurb of 80 apartments St Mary's Mansions on Sean McDermott Street, which included adding two stories to the existing building. It's a very nice development, despite keeping its private courtyard, which will probably lead to anti-social problems in the future.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0916/11655 ... eneration/

But it cost nearly €300k per apartment for the refurb, ie excluding land acquisition, and substructure/foundation costs.

Keep this in mind when the shinners et al start shrieking about DCC paying private developers 400k for finished apartments.

Also in construction news compliance statements have gone in for demolition works on the Herbert Park apartment development, which means the "O'Rahilly" house won't be there for very much longer.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

camroc1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:31 pm
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:58 pm After Desmond's PR stunt and his wife's court case, this is great news.

Hopefully Cairn get going on this ASAP, they've let a few sites sit around for a while.
Another interesting construction story is the refurb of 80 apartments St Mary's Mansions on Sean McDermott Street, which included adding two stories to the existing building. It's a very nice development, despite keeping its private courtyard, which will probably lead to anti-social problems in the future.

But it cost nearly €300k per apartment for the refurb, ie excluding land acquisition, and substructure/foundation costs.

Keep this in mind when the shinners et al start shrieking about DCC paying private developers 400k for finished apartments.

Also in construction news compliance statements have gone in for demolition works on the Herbert Park apartment development, which means the "O'Rahilly" house won't be there for very much longer.
"Retain communities"

From 10 years ago. Good to see that DCC are keeping up with the forever homes narrative.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

This clown again

https://twitter.com/aodhanoriordain/sta ... 64480?s=21
Keeping 'To Kill A Mockingbird' and 'Of Mice and Men' on the JC syllabus isn't worth the hurt they are causing.

Dept should see sense here.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

Compliance beforehand? Thought you needed PP to demolish?
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:50 pm

Compliance beforehand? Thought you needed PP to demolish?
They were granted PP from ABP on Monday.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... YQVcStKVG2
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

Ah that makes sense.

I've had cases where compliance has been sought in lieu of PP.

I see Kielys will be a monstrous co-living development.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

I'm not sure it will get PP, especially without the building housing the barbers and little hardware. There seems to be a degree of deliberate overdevelopment to see what DCC will actually allow.
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

Bwen wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:53 am This isn't really having a go at the man but more at the state of our media. TCD's Tomas Ryan has got a lot of airtime recently commenting on COVID and the need to go zero COVID. However looking at his Google Scholar, https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl ... by=pubdate , the lads a neuroscientist with some bloody interesting research (essentially Minority Report). However the lad is nowhere near being an expert in the field of anything COVID related and the media using him as an expert opinion is incredibly disingenuous in my opinion. Fair play to him though, massively raised his profile and that of his department, should help him win some funding in the rat race that is academia these days.

Yeah, I pointed that out previously. I know that several more eminent people in the field are pissed off with his media-whoring (which is significantly the fault of the media IMO). To be fair to TR, he is articulate and and his positions and arguments are reasoned and logical and concur with many experts in the relevant fields (but far from all). The problem is that Science is complex, especially in an area like this, and people can hold different positions and both be right (or at least justifiable) based on limited evidence - that bit never really gets explained though, so it is more like "I heard some egghead on telly sat it. FACT!" The bigger issue I think that many experts have with TR is that when people start to realise that he isn't a domain expert in these areas, or when he gets something wrong, it undermines trust in all science and scientists.

I don't think his department need the extra profile - the other 'real' experts are garnering plenty of that. He has also been pretty successful already in funding - he recently won a big pot of "fudge off" money from a UK based foundation - 7 figure sum I heard.
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

Nolanator wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am I've a higher h-index than him, and am a researcher in Trinity. RTE should be asking me about this stuff.
That's impressive, unless you're older than I thought - had you pegged at 30ish?
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

you'd have to wonder has the Policing Authority been taken over by a shower of woke fvckwits.....
In its latest report, under a section titled ‘policing to protect and respect human rights’, the authority said it was “aware of recent violent confrontations between demonstrators and counter-demonstrators at the anti-mask rally held in Dublin” on Saturday, August 22nd.

It was also aware of “allegations that the Garda Síochána pushed the counter-demonstrators back in an attempt to prevent further violence, which had the effect of preventing the counter-protesters from exercising their right to protest”.

The authority added that on the occasion of its next public meeting with Mr Harris, and his team, it would “explore the issue in more detail with the commissioner”.
thats a fvcking disgraceful stance from the Authority ...... are they saying the Gardai should have stepped aside and let the antifa scumbags attack the gemmaroid scumbags?

The counter protest (by definition) went looking for the other protest ... and were held/pushed back to avoid confrontation. Confrontation was inevitable without the garda intervention (as was proven later), but somehow the gardai should have to answer for their actions?

Can every scumbag cvnt out there now complain to the Authority and have the reputation of the Gardai dragged through the mud?

What the fvck is this country becoming .... the gardai should have tear gassed both 'protests' and then at least the trip to the Authority to "explore the issue in more detail" would be worth it
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 am https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4356244

Dissent is not tolerated
The estimated death rate for Covid-19 is 10 times that of seasonal flu, four leading TCD scientists pointed out,
Four scientists sitting in trinners never seen a sick person in their lives versus an actual consultant vascular surgeon with an impeccable clinical CV.
Not sure why you connect those - the scientists, in any case probably have a lot more expertise here than a vascular surgeon
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

The Policing Authority and Garda Inspectorate are to be replaced, I thought. Neither fit for purpose.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

The reaction to the cabinet announcing they'd self isolate is really sickening. I'm honestly flabbergasted. The very same people would be all over the airwaves asking why the cabinet weren't self isolating if they had said they didn't need to.

There's comparison with schools also with people saying they're sickened that there can be a case in a school without everyone being sent home but the 'elite' are too soft. Because it's an entirely comparable situation. :roll:

And then Donnelly gets his test fast tracked so the cabinet can get on with running the country and it's moans of 'wow, looking forward to my quick turnaround now they've sped up the testing'.

I mean for crying, fúcking out loud!
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

DeDoc wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:23 pm
Nolanator wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am I've a higher h-index than him, and am a researcher in Trinity. RTE should be asking me about this stuff.
That's impressive, unless you're older than I thought - had you pegged at 30ish?
Fairly sure Nolan's in that batch of us on here who are all in their early (mid) 30s.

Also, therein lies the issue. There's a fella from Trinity who gets a lot of profile as a constitutional law expert. His legal work is generally sensible enough (albeit a tad too woke) but his real value is accessibilty. He'll go on the media in the way a busy silk cannot (or will not).

Constitutional experts generally look and sound like Michael McDowell, not lads in their 30s. I would assume it's the same in medicine, science, etc, too. Problem is, nobody wants "old, white men" on TV anymore.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:42 pm This clown again

Keeping 'To Kill A Mockingbird' and 'Of Mice and Men' on the JC syllabus isn't worth the hurt they are causing.

Oh Jesus Labour. That 2fm DJ and his Fairytale debacle should have pointed the way
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

Nolanator wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:17 pmSaw a bit of blowback on academic twitter a few months ago giving out about academics applying to Covid specific funding streams that were created around March/April. Dickheads jumping on an opportunity to get more money into their groups and completely ignoring the spirit of what it was really meant for.
I work on materials for electrodes for energy applications, but could (if I really tried) put together a compelling argument and proposal that they could be developed as electrodes for sensing applications that could be used for developing rapid diagnostic platforms. I have no expertise in the field, but there were people still trying it on.

The nature of the "industry" leads to that behaviour though. Securing funding and keeping your metrics up is just too important and drives some very shitty behaviour that wouldn't fly in other areas. Some groups heads were getting their research categorised as important to the Covid response, so their labs could stay open during lockdowns. Getting postdocs and PhD students to commute in and continue working on completely unrelated stuff in the middle of a pandemic lockdown.
There was definitely some of that - but I'd put a lot of blame at the foot of SFI and the assessment mechanism employed, which basically perpetuated the status quo - a big emphasis on past research record etc, rather than on the potential for impact of the proposal itself. A far better idea IMO would have been a preliminary application - more or less a 1 pager, and screen those locally for potential, follow up with a chat where you need/want more info or to try to spot that game-players. Then invite proper applications from a short-list and send those for review. Instead they reached for the usual processes and ended up with a (relative to number of applications) small number of reviewers outside their comfort zone giving often uninformed feedback. And if you were an applicant lucky enough to have the independent reviewers agree (even if they were all wrong) then you get the piece of pie. And if not, we'll give you some anyway if you have a mega h-index and lots of existing SFI money.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

EverReady wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:29 pm

Oh Jesus Labour. That 2fm DJ and his Fairytale debacle should have pointed the way
Won't anyone think of the children !
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

No visitors in St James with immediate effect
CM11

Post by CM11 »

EverReady wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:39 pm No visitors in St James with immediate effect
Link?

They weren't showing many covid patients yesterday so I'm assuming precautionary? Makes sense, I guess, as a temporary measure but hard on the patients.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

I know a staff member there but he says it's on their Twanker now
CM11

Post by CM11 »

EverReady wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:47 pm I know a staff member there but he says it's on their Twanker now
:thumbup:
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

I'll go effin nuts if Dublin goes to Level 3.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Leinsterman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:41 pm I'll go effin nuts if Dublin goes to Level 3.
Was going to book a weekend in Kinsale in 2/3 weeks, but not sure whether to bother now. A lot of hotels will be hit by 55+ Dublin couples cancelling because of the Dublin recommendations.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

I sometimes think living in the North is a challenge with all the spackers coming out of the woodwork around bonfire/marching season, and look enviously at you lot down south. Then I come onto this thread and read shit like that and all the other woke bollocks that you guys put up from southern Twitter accounts and suddenly I feel quite content driving past paramilitary murals and painted curbstones :thumbup:.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

I think Dublin will go to level 3. I have a holiday in Killarney in mid October. Not looking good even from now.
cfm93

Post by cfm93 »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... -1.4356653

HSE: trying to make hospitals a safer place for sick people in the winter.

Unions: NO.

It's a fucking joke that this is even a fucking debate.
HighKingLeinster

cfm93 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:07 pm https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... -1.4356653

Unions are scum. Simple as
HighKingLeinster

Jim Lahey wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:58 pm

I sometimes think living in the North is a challenge with all the spackers coming out of the woodwork around bonfire/marching season, and look enviously at you lot down south. Then I come onto this thread and read shit like that and all the other woke bollocks that you guys put up from southern Twitter accounts and suddenly I feel quite content driving past paramilitary murals and painted curbstones :thumbup:.
perhaps there is something to be done that will solve both issues. Have your terrorists satisfy their bloodlust by killing our woke spackers. Then arrest the terrorists for murder and we all live in everlasting centre-right paradise
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

cfm93 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:07 pm https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... -1.4356653

Unions contend that there is no agreement on this new HSE policy and that it has significant industrial relations and other implications.
ie.We want money to comply with H&S requirements. Cúnts.
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

I was only starting to grasp that we no longer had A's in the leaving cert and had thought H1,H2,H3 were the new J-1's ; now I;m getting confused between level 1,2,3 for Dublin as a covid thing or a negative bias against fee paying schools
cfm93

Post by cfm93 »

HighKingLeinster wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:14 pm

Unions are scum. Simple as
That less than half of healthcare staff take the flu vaccine anyway is scandalous aswell.