Post subject: Beauden Barrett to Japan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:32 pm 

Missing super rugby next year. Still available for AB's

Poor Blues :lol:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/sport/420381 ... all-blacks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:54 pm 

Confirmed

Quote:
All Blacks and Blues superstar Beauden Barrett has signed a lucrative one-year deal to play for Suntory Sungoliath in Japan next year.

Barrett, who signed a four-year deal with New Zealand Rugby and the Blues last year, will miss next year's Super Rugby season and play for the Suntory club based in Tokyo, before returning to New Zealand for the 2021 international season. He will then remain in New Zealand for the rest of his contract until 2023.

The Japanese deal is reportedly worth $1.5m per season, which would make Barrett one of the highest-paid players in the world. Barrett will link with New Zealand coach Milton Haig, the former coach of Georgia, and now head coach at Suntory Sungoliath, with current England head coach, Eddie Jones acting as consultant.

The plan to play in Japan in 2021 is part of Barrett's four-year deal agreed last year with New Zealand Rugby (NZR) and the Blues.

"For me it made sense to go next year and then have two years back with the Blues and hopefully the All Blacks in the lead-up to the Rugby World Cup," said Barrett. "My wife and I are excited to head to Japan next year. It is an appealing place for a young family and comparatively safe in health terms.

"The Investec Super Rugby Aotearoa competition has been an amazing experience. It's been brutal and demanding which is what you expect when New Zealand teams play each other.

"I'm loving every minute of it and having such big crowds turning out has been fantastic "I am loving the move to the Blues and we still have a job to do this season. It is an excellent environment with great coaching and an awesome bunch of dedicated players.

"While the excitement about heading to Japan will build closer to the time, I'll also be looking forward to being back later in 2021."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:04 pm 

It makes an absolute mockery of NZR's eligibility rules, when a bloke can be available to play just half a season of domestic Rugby between the 2019 RWC and 2023, but can still play for the All Blacks throughout.

Also, how will his form in Japan be compared to the form of the poor buggers who are playing Rugby in NZ?

This stinks and NZR may as well just relax their eligibility rules for everyone right now...and blame COVID.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:14 pm 

How can you sign a 4 year contract and then after a year say get f@#ked I am off to make more $$?

If BB can do it why not every other AB?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:16 pm 

kiwinoz wrote:
How can you sign a 4 year contract and then after a year say get f@#ked I am off to make more $$?

Even worse, he can have his cake and eat it because he still gets to play for the AB's, when other players who signed for NH clubs are no longer eligible. We now have one rule for BB and one rule for every other professional Rugby player in NZ. I'm sure this will end well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:20 pm 

kiwinoz wrote:

So I assume you as upset about Whitelock and Retallic. I not keen but reality is fellas that is what the sporting landscape is now. Retallic was allowed to go to Japan this year and was still available for ABs,until Covid changed it all. If these fellas are worth enough to get it in their contracts and it holds off French/Pommie clubs we are either going to have to live with it or find another couple of mill to compete for their signatures!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:23 pm 

Ali's Choice wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

Even worse, he can have his cake and eat it because he still gets to play for the AB's, when other players who signed for NH clubs are no longer eligible. We now have one rule for BB and one rule for every other professional Rugby player in NZ. I'm sure this will end well.

Not quite AC, you know like Whitelock and Retallic they are still signed to NZRU (same as Carter was when he played in France) so it not quite one for him and another for others. We unfortunately are stuck with this kind of thing!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:25 pm 

Dan54. wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

So I assume you as upset about Whitelock and Retallic. I not keen but reality is fellas that is what the sporting landscape is now. Retallic was allowed to go to Japan this year and was still available for ABs,until Covid changed it all. If these fellas are worth enough to get it in their contracts and it holds off French/Pommie clubs we are either going to have to live with it or find another couple of mill to compete for their signatures!

Retallick was never available for the AB's in 2020. He was only available in June 2021, when he returns.

Whitelock was available this year because he was due for return midyear. He just came back earlier than expected.

BB is playing two full seasons in Japan, with no domestic Rugby till 2023, but is still allowed to play test rugby. That is unprecedented. NZR may as well just relax the rules and allow everyone to play in the NH but still be AB eligible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:28 pm 

Dan54. wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

Not quite AC, you know like Whitelock and Retallic they are still signed to NZRU (same as Carter was when he played in France) so it not quite one for him and another for others. We unfortunately are stuck with this kind of thing!

Carter missed one season in France. Sam Whitelock missed one SR season (actually just 6 games and he returned for the entire SR Aotearoa season, same as BB). Retallick will miss two seasons but is ineligible to play for the AB's until he returns for good, in mid 2021. BB misses two seasons but can play test Rugby in between. You seriously cannot see the difference?

If we are "stuck with this kind of thing" just let all AB's do it. Don't play favourites with one player.

Last edited by Ali's Choice on Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:42 pm 

Dan54. wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

Was it in BB's contract up front like SW and BBBR? I thought he signed for 4 years and then signed another contract that breaks his signed contract. Thats what the article suggests. If he signed and had a "holiday pass " clause in the contract then I have no issue. If not then then he can sit out the ABs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:45 pm 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Dan54. wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

Carter missed one season in France. Sam Whitelock missed one SR season. Retallick will miss two but is ineligible to play for the AB's until he returns for good, in mid 2021. BB misses two seasons but can play test Rugby in between. You seriously cannot see the difference?

If we are "stuck with this kind of thing" just let all AB's do it. Don't play favourites with one player.

Yep I can see the difference, as I said I not keen, but Whitelock was going to miss the whole Super season and still be available for ABs, and didn't he miss a fair bit of last year with injury, he along with Retallic both said that unless they were allowed to have these kind of contracts they were gone, and though there were going to be more with long time ABs in future? I not disagreeing with saying that it not ideal for us fans, but neither is losing these players permanently. I can see the likes of young Sotutu, Mikaele Tu'u doing the same in future if they turn out as good as we think they might, I really think players need to refresh their bodies and more importantly minds to keep them playing ( and also of you throw a couple of mill in bank at same time?)
I think if you read a few of these jokers books, you will see why it comes about, read someone like Sam Warburton's book ( somewhat like what Richie said in his) and think how much their bodies etc get knocked around and how they all using shrinks etc to help them even mentally to stay up for the game! I know that's what they paid for etc, but like anything you have to come up with something to keep these fellas playing!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:47 pm 

kiwinoz wrote:
Dan54. wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

Was it in BB's contract up front like SW and BBBR? I thought he signed for 4 years and then signed another contract that breaks his signed contract. Thats what the article suggests. If he signed and had a "holiday pass " clause in the contract then I have no issue. If not then then he can sit out the ABs.

Yep was always in his contract! most thought he would take break the year after, but he said he wants a good run at the next WC!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:51 pm 

Dan54. wrote:
Yep I can see the difference, as I said I not keen, but Whitelock was going to miss the whole Super season and still be available for ABs, and didn't he miss a fair bit of last year with injury

You aren't seriously suggesting that injuries should impact on a 100 test cap All Blacks eligibility to play test rugby, are you?

Quote:
I really think players need to refresh their bodies and more importantly minds to keep them playing ( and also of you throw a couple of mill in bank at same time?)
I think if you read a few of these jokers books, you will see why it comes about, read someone like Sam Warburton's book ( somewhat like what Richie said in his) and think how much their bodies etc get knocked around and how they all using shrinks etc to help them even mentally to stay up for the game! I know that's what they paid for etc, but like anything you have to come up with something to keep these fellas playing!

Refresh their bodies and minds? BB will have played 8 games in just under 12 months by the end of SR Aotearoa. He's just come off a 6 month paid holiday. How refreshed does he need to be?

And your comment about freshness would be more defensible if he was taking time away from the game, but he's not. He's still training and playing hard, just for a Japanese club. Btw the Japanese season is longer than the SR season so he's playing more Rugby, not less.