Official Braai Thread

All things Rugby
handyman

Re: Official Braai Thread

Post by handyman »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
handyman wrote:Debonairs is the absolute worst.

Ate it once x(

Almost as bad as McDonalds.
I know McDonalds is bad (probably plastic), but I struggle to drive past one without buying a big mac meal.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

handyman wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
handyman wrote:Debonairs is the absolute worst.

Ate it once x(

Almost as bad as McDonalds.
I know McDonalds is bad (probably plastic), but I struggle to drive past one without buying a big mac meal.
Had it twice in my life. Bad and worst. Never again.

Takeaway hamburgers I also buy at my local Cipriot mates. They build a decent, top quality meat 180g pattie packed in toasted BREAD with their salads and sauce, sided by very decent slap chips, at a very very affordable price (hammie R26, tjips R20) Compares very well with Spur burgers, sometimes better.
Other products(of very good quality) are more expensive, but this is their catch line and they do very very well. Family business, been here for ages (third generation growing up now)
Franchises just cannot compare to a real fast food outlet - it is all packaging and brand name, and sideshows, I want FOOD.

Problem is, my Cipriot mates close early, and do not open on Sundays. I can always make my own burger on Sundays ..
Wilson's Toffee

Bloody impressive ... when does she sail ?
Sards

Post by Sards »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:

Not for awhile.....I am not happy with the seal on the doors....will add metal gaskets to sort that out....Not happy with the handle on the door to the fire box....gets too hot.....everything else is sweet....We will now park it outside when the rain is done and smoke some product....the clients product development staff will come test some products here first to get the hang of it and make sure its 100% before we drag it up 4 floors......
Wilson's Toffee

This combi unit impresses the dinges out of me ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o_W9Lix8Uw
Wilson's Toffee

Sards wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:

Not for awhile.....I am not happy with the seal on the doors....will add metal gaskets to sort that out....Not happy with the handle on the door to the fire box....gets too hot.....everything else is sweet....We will now park it outside when the rain is done and smoke some product....the clients product development staff will come test some products here first to get the hang of it and make sure its 100% before we drag it up 4 floors......

:lol:

You are having the time of your life.... Enjoy !!
Sards

Post by Sards »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:This combi unit impresses the dinges out of me ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o_W9Lix8Uw

I did that shoot at home...just before that unit went to a festival.......

When I cracked open the eggs the yolks were frozen from my fridge being set too cold......
Wilson's Toffee

I want a wok station to cook outdoors - wife complains, lack of space in town.

Shit. Living in town ... cramps a man's style.
She KNOWS I will be cooking all the time !

I started to collect a few woks - mostly used ones, a few I am renovating. Wonderful, versatile implement !
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

Sards wrote: Image
Looks epic, I like the counter-flow smoke path for even cooking temps. Did you consider putting counter weights on the doors to make them easier to open and close?
Sards

Post by Sards »

Spyglass wrote:
Sards wrote:
Looks epic, I like the counter-flow smoke path for even cooking temps. Did you consider putting counter weights on the doors to make them easier to open and close?
I cant believe how even the temperature is across the length...at full steam I get 105' C on all doors...But I kept the fire box as small as possible...Most of the smoking videos I watched had the smoking at 250'F....so its perfect for all the products they want to cook. I am no expert at smoking stuff but am learning a great deal with this project. With no added wood after the first burn ( which was about 10 pieces) it held temperature for 3 hours before it started dropping. But I was a doos because I left the exhaust vent open....So basically depending on how often they open it to peek they need to add wood every 2 and a half hours...

Building it was fun...but I am so pleased I dont have to do the cooking....they were supposed to send staff over for training in the US of A....but decided to learn themselves....

You can imagine how I am going to enjoy testing all their food....they know I will be honest.
Last edited by Sards on Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Sards wrote:
Spyglass wrote:
Sards wrote: Image
I cant believe how even the temperature is across the length...at full steam I get 105' C on all doors...But I kept the fire box as small as possible...Most of the smoking videos I watched had the smoking at 250'F....so its perfect for all the products they want to cook. I am no expert at smoking stuff but am learning a great deal with this project. With no added wood after the first burn ( which was about 10 pieces) it held temperature for 3 hours before it started dropping. But I was a doos because I left the exhaust vent open....So basically depending on how often they open it to peek they need to add wood every 2 and a half hours...

Building it was fun...but I am so pleased I dont have to do the cooking....they were supposed to send staff over for training in the US of A....but decided to learn themselves....

You can imagine how I am going to enjoy testing all their food....they know I will be honest.
you should really call it the 'Donald' !!
not because of Trump, but because of:
Spoiler: show
if you don't try to paint it a bit similar, or at least do some artistic wheels on the side or something, then you have literally ZERO artistic appreciation - you hear me ? ZERO !
Sards

Post by Sards »

You dont think that maybe the owner wants to put his own taste onto a blank canvas.
I have seen this bloke in action...we built the Tigers milk , La Parada and Harbour House franchise together. I will never forget the day he walked into the Tigers Milk in Century city. They had just finished building his brick pizza oven. A massive one...built exactly according to the plan. He walks in and says that he doesn't like the way its facing. Made the builder RIP it all down and start again....I cpould tell you stories all night about this bloke...I even watched him RIP up the tiling days before opening because he didn't like the direction it took him when he walked in and followed the pattern....he is a complete loon....but he knows exactly what he wants...just another one...He got a crowd to clad his one pizza oven in brass and copper. Every time I went to site I watched this bloke in a labour of love and in appreciation of the craftsmanship of what he was doing...when he finished he asked this owner what he thought....the owner went into the shop and came back with a 4 pound hammer and beat the shit out of the copper and brass....it looked friggin tit when he was finished...but the look on the Artisans face.... :lol:
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

:shock: :thumbup: Great job, Sards!
Maybe you can make a deal with the Russians as well. With a few modifications and loaded with some nuclear shit they can probably launch that from a submarine too.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

Spyglass wrote:Looks epic, I like the counter-flow smoke path for even cooking temps. Did you consider putting counter weights on the doors to make them easier to open and close?
backrow wrote:if you don't try to paint it a bit similar, or at least do some artistic wheels on the side or something
Just putting the handles on the doors cost nearly 10k each. Do you fokors want this thing to cost a million when it's done?
Last edited by Average Joe on Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wilson's Toffee

Bokkom wrote::shock: :thumbup: Great job, Sards!
Maybe you can make a deal with the Russians as well. With a few modifications and loaded with some nuclear shit they can probably launch that from a submarine too.

This WAS a Russki submarine.
Sards caught it off Muizenberg with a extra heavy rod and rig.

They say Vladimir Putin is livid ..
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

:lol: Great thread
handyman

Post by handyman »

No one with a link to something similar to an Ugly Drum Smoker or Offset Smoker in the Western Cape?
Wilson's Toffee

handyman wrote:No one with a link to something similar to an Ugly Drum Smoker or Offset Smoker in the Western Cape?

It should work the same. Only the scale - of both size and ugliness.

One do not get the old, thick walled drums any more. Only these modern tinfoil ones.
Try an old geyser, that is very tough steel.
Sards

Post by Sards »

I just finished speaking to the client asking when they are coming to test......fecker told me he needs another one urgently for Stellenbosch............

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought I was done with this.........
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

The guy at the dump will be so happy when he hears the news.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Sards wrote::lol:

I just finished speaking to the client asking when they are coming to test......fecker told me he needs another one urgently for Stellenbosch............

R200,000

Christmas comes early :thumbup: :lol:
handyman

Post by handyman »

Average Joe wrote:The guy at the dump will be so happy when he hears the news.
Jealousy Makes You Nasty.
backrow

Post by backrow »

if he needs another one, then that has to be called Douglas - show him the pics of the Thomas the tank engine movies, he will love it !
who wouldn't want their overpriced food cooked in a Tank Engine with a big smiley face on the end ?
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

handyman wrote:
Average Joe wrote:The guy at the dump will be so happy when he hears the news.
Jealousy Makes You Nasty.
Jealous of what? The guy at the dump?
Wilson's Toffee

Sards wrote::lol:

:thumbup:

Way to go !!
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Sards wrote:Image
Sards, that's a bloody marvellous contraption. :thumbup:

I want one, but a wee bit smaller, like half as big.
Wilson's Toffee

We can start naming it, now.

What about the "Thelo Wakefield Snackwhich Machine" ?
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:We can start naming it, now.

What about the "Thelo Wakefield Snackwhich Machine" ?
Not big enough.
Wilson's Toffee

Oh.

There was a famous steam locomotive, "The Flying Dutchman". Anybody ?
Sards

Post by Sards »

Looking forward to seeing everyone's efforts on Tuesday... happy braai day all.
handyman

Post by handyman »

Sards wrote:Looking forward to seeing everyone's efforts on Tuesday... happy braai day all.
Good stuff Sards. Will be at the in-laws this weekend, should be steak and chips on Monday.
DraadkarD

Post by DraadkarD »

I'm starting tomorrow and will have the finale on Monday.

Braaing on a hardekool fire, beer and a view of the Free State vlaktes. My happy place :thumbup:
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

Picking up my half-drum braai on Saturday that was built for me this week. Looking forward to testing it out on Saturday night...
handyman

Post by handyman »

saffer13 wrote:Picking up my half-drum braai on Saturday that was built for me this week. Looking forward to testing it out on Saturday night...
What do Americans say when they see all your different braais? And when they taste the meat?
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

handyman wrote:
saffer13 wrote:Picking up my half-drum braai on Saturday that was built for me this week. Looking forward to testing it out on Saturday night...
What do Americans say when they see all your different braais? And when they taste the meat?
It's usually a great topic of discussion. Thy only make the mistake of coming hungry to a braai the first time...they certainly prefer the experience over the quick gas grill one. Having enough whiskey doesn't hurt either.
Bloutoria

Post by Bloutoria »

Braaiing hamburger patties, drinking hansa, depressed. Think my period may be coming. :lol:
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

If you ever visit these shores. Eat @ Baardskeerdersbos, Marietjie pub and grill. Meat platter to die for.
Wilson's Toffee

OomPB wrote:If you ever visit these shores. Eat @ Baardskeerdersbos, Marietjie pub and grill. Meat platter to die for.

Do you ever eat fish at an outlet/restaurant ? Or braai ?
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
OomPB wrote:If you ever visit these shores. Eat @ Baardskeerdersbos, Marietjie pub and grill. Meat platter to die for.

Do you ever eat fish at an outlet/restaurant ? Or braai ?
I love fish. Braai snoek nearly every weekend