Official Braai Thread

All things Rugby
handyman

Re: Official Braai Thread

Post by handyman »

sorCrer wrote:
handyman wrote:This weekend : Burgers on Saturday, Snoek on Sunday. I will have a few brandies and Coke with the burgers and gin and tonic with the snoek.

Have a good one boets!

Brandy finished here. :(

I have Sky Vodka, Glenfiddich 12, Johnny Walker Black, Jim Beam and a Jamesons Special Reserve left for the weekend. The GF will be on braai duty.
I have more than enough brandy and gin, but I'm craving beer (when lighting the fire) and a crisp white wine (for Sunday lunch).
DraadkarD

Post by DraadkarD »

OomPB wrote:
DraadkarD wrote:Steak and Sosaties tommorow. Blesbok Blad on the weber Sunday. With:

:lol: almal grawe nou in die kaste vir daai goeies wat gebere was. Ek het nog n bottel 12 jaar Koos Wye Voete in die kas.
Hy sal mooi afgaan met daai snoek ;)

Ek ook in die deepfreez inteklim. Eet lekker wild
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

sorCrer wrote:
handyman wrote:This weekend : Burgers on Saturday, Snoek on Sunday. I will have a few brandies and Coke with the burgers and gin and tonic with the snoek.

Have a good one boets!

Brandy finished here. :(

I have Sky Vodka, Glenfiddich 12, Johnny Walker Black, Jim Beam and a Jamesons Special Reserve left for the weekend. The GF will be on braai duty.
I like Jim Beam.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

I have ordered 2.5cm thick cut lamb chops from the butcher. Rosemary, garlic and oilive oil. On medium coals 5 minutes a side and Bob's your Uncle.
I bought a 2kg rump flap from Spar for R99 per kg. Will roast it on Sunday for a proper Sunday lunch.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Chilli wrote:I have ordered 2.5cm thick cut lamb chops from the butcher. Rosemary, garlic and oilive oil. On medium coals 5 minutes a side and Bob's your Uncle.
I bought a 2kg rump flap from Spar for R99 per kg. Will roast it on Sunday for a proper Sunday lunch.
Fokken vleisvreter. Sounds very very nice....

:thumbup:
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Chilli wrote:I have ordered 2.5cm thick cut lamb chops from the butcher. Rosemary, garlic and oilive oil. On medium coals 5 minutes a side and Bob's your Uncle.
Fokken vleisvreter. Sounds very very nice....

Only on weekends. During the week we eat chicken or veggie.
Burke's Boot

Post by Burke's Boot »

Sards wrote:
Burke's Boot wrote:
Sards wrote:
Over coals...in the pan is so meh...absolutely no flavor.
Bareback on the coals....Caveman Steak?
I have thought about this before and wondered about how much we enjoy ( at least the majority of us) any food product on the coals....

It's our heritage...built into our DNA. ..the taste of smoke on our food...right from the time the first caveman learnt to cook his food over coals. Electricity and gas have just become a convenient means of cooking that makes no mess...its the lazy man's way of preparing food .
Lump or Briquettes? I would prefer the former for barebacking a steak.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

Ek skep maar die pynappel en kou aan hol seenings.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Burke's Boot wrote:
Sards wrote:
Burke's Boot wrote:
Sards wrote:
Over coals...in the pan is so meh...absolutely no flavor.
Bareback on the coals....Caveman Steak?
I have thought about this before and wondered about how much we enjoy ( at least the majority of us) any food product on the coals....

It's our heritage...built into our DNA. ..the taste of smoke on our food...right from the time the first caveman learnt to cook his food over coals. Electricity and gas have just become a convenient means of cooking that makes no mess...its the lazy man's way of preparing food .
Lump or Briquettes? I would prefer the former for barebacking a steak.
Lump. I have an arrangement with a specific charcoal supplier. I recommended his charcoal which is amazing to everyone that buys my products and he keeps me in charcoal.
Besides that his charcoal lasts for 2 hours at least and when I need to get a flame off it its intense heat. I am an all in type. I want that outer layer torched. And quickly. You want to protect the integrity of the meat inside. And infuse it with flavor
backrow

Post by backrow »

Hey lads, I’m putting a chicken and a small lamb joint in the Weber today - my question is for some jacket potatoes: wrap in foil and on the coals, or wrap in foil and on the grid with the meat ?
DraadkarD

Post by DraadkarD »

backrow wrote:Hey lads, I’m putting a chicken and a small lamb joint in the Weber today - my question is for some jacket potatoes: wrap in foil and on the coals, or wrap in foil and on the grid with the meat ?
Put in drip pan beneath the meat. Unwrapped.
backrow

Post by backrow »

DraadkarD wrote:
backrow wrote:Hey lads, I’m putting a chicken and a small lamb joint in the Weber today - my question is for some jacket potatoes: wrap in foil and on the coals, or wrap in foil and on the grid with the meat ?
Hmm not sure that will work, don’t really have any space between the coals and the bottom of the meat grill. Can’t get lamb juice on the spuds as 2 of my family hate lamb
Sards

Post by Sards »

backrow wrote:
DraadkarD wrote:
Hmm not sure that will work, don’t really have any space between the coals and the bottom of the meat grill. Can’t get lamb juice on the spuds as 2 of my family hate lamb
Put oil in tray...not too much but enough for the spuds not to stick and give you that crispy finish. It means watching them and turning regularly but the result is worth the effort. Especially that smoky flavor infused into the spuds.
handyman

Post by handyman »

backrow wrote:
DraadkarD wrote:
Hate lamb? Tell them to fark of.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

My one uncle was a sheep farmer and they never ate lamb. Although I reckon that was more my aunts doing. He always had to wait for her to go visit a friend or something before he could take a load to the abattoirs.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

backrow wrote:
DraadkarD wrote:
Oil, coarse salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme on the coals.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Going to braai pork chops and boerewors tonig at work.ht. Had a hard day
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Chilli wrote:
backrow wrote:
DraadkarD wrote:
I suspect yeeb is fully filling the Weber with charcoal not doing pannier fires.
handyman

Post by handyman »

Question - can you slice brisket in strips and braai it?
DraadkarD

Post by DraadkarD »

handyman wrote:Question - can you slice brisket in strips and braai it?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Do you have a Weber or any kind of kettle/oven braai?
backrow

Post by backrow »

sorCrer wrote:
Chilli wrote:
backrow wrote:
DraadkarD wrote:
I suspect yeeb is fully filling the Weber with charcoal not doing pannier fires.
Nope, just one chimney’s worth, same as saffas do. I think it’s not a full size Weber clone though , there’s only like 8cm or so between the cooking grid and the grid the coals go on.

Anyways, chicken and spuds were fine , lamb was a bit rarer than we normally have but also delicious - had a herb crust of ‘Provence herbs’ which do include pepper rosemary and thyme.
Think next time I do this combo I will put the lamb on 20 mins earlier than the chicken.

I have no idea what you mean about pannier fires tbf
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

backrow wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
Chilli wrote:
backrow wrote:
DraadkarD wrote:
Nope, just one chimney’s worth, same as saffas do. I think it’s not a full size Weber clone though , there’s only like 8cm or so between the cooking grid and the grid the coals go on.

Anyways, chicken and spuds were fine , lamb was a bit rarer than we normally have but also delicious - had a herb crust of ‘Provence herbs’ which do include pepper rosemary and thyme.
Think next time I do this combo I will put the lamb on 20 mins earlier than the chicken.

I have no idea what you mean about pannier fires tbf
Fires on either side of a central drip tray. You can but an addon for the Weber like this:

https://www.takealot.com/tp-drip-pan-fo ... lsrc=aw.ds

Or just use a foil one similar to this technique:
https://www.yuppiechef.com/spatula/webe ... -indirect/
handyman

Post by handyman »

DraadkarD wrote:

I have made brisket in the Weber and it's very good, just wondering if one could braai it as well?
DraadkarD

Post by DraadkarD »

handyman wrote:
DraadkarD wrote:

I have made brisket in the Weber and it's very good, just wondering if one could braai it as well?
Not sure. My understanding that it can be tough. Very tasty meat.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

You can braai anything, the question is if you should.
handyman

Post by handyman »

DraadkarD wrote:
handyman wrote:
DraadkarD wrote:

Not sure. My understanding that it can be tough. Very tasty meat.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Average Joe wrote:You can braai anything, the question is if you should.
Yes
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

Sards wrote:
Yes
During my student days a couple of us went diving for kreef en perlemoen for a weekend at Gansbaai. One evening, full of Tassies, we decided to braai perlemoen steaks. End result were things that had the taste and texture of smoked water boots.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Bokkom wrote:
Sards wrote:
Yes
During my student days a couple of us went diving for kreef en perlemoen for a weekend at Gansbaai. One evening, full of Tassies, we decided to braai perlemoen steaks. End result were things that had the taste and texture of smoked water boots.
Now imagine if you were just sober enough to throw it into a cast iron pan or pot and add some curry spice......man I am drooling just thinking about it...my ex father in law would do perlemoen and kreef meat like this....oh no....I want it now
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Sards wrote:
Bokkom wrote:
Sards wrote:
Yes
Now imagine if you were just sober enough to throw it into a cast iron pan or pot and add some curry spice......man I am drooling just thinking about it...my ex father in law would do perlemoen and kreef meat like this....oh no....I want it now
It doesn't really matter whst you do to it, Perlemoen is chewy. Tastey, but chewy.
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

Chilli wrote:
Sards wrote:
Bokkom wrote:
Sards wrote:
Yes
It doesn't really matter whst you do to it, Perlemoen is chewy. Tastey, but chewy.
Here I am going to disagree a bit. The very last time I went diving for perlemoen (before they closed it permanently for us recreationals) I remember getting home with my quota of three. After giving them some slaps with an empty Wellington bottle, I cut them up in cubes and cooked them with some sliced potatoes, milk, garlic and cream in a swartpot on the fire. After 20 minutes the perlemoen was softer than the potatoes.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Bokkom is right, fresh perlemoen steaks is from heaven braaied on a plate with lots of lemon. Once frozen you have to mince it. No way you can braai it.

I love perlomoen but is allergic to jodium.
handyman

Post by handyman »

OomPB wrote:Bokkom is right, fresh perlemoen steaks is from heaven braaied on a plate with lots of lemon. Once frozen you have to mince it. No way you can braai it.

I love perlomoen but is allergic to jodium.
Not crazy about it, also overpriced. Give me a Ocean Basket seafood platter any day of the week tho.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

I have always thinly sliced it and then quickly grilled it with lemon juice, garlic and chilli. A bit like calamari.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Chilli's way. With a nicely chilled white wine.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:Chilli's way. With a nicely chilled white wine.
Hoe lus is ek nou!
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Goi g to braai rump steak in the late afternoon.
Mushroom Sauce, salad and braaied sweet potato.
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

Chilli, I ordered baby back pork ribs online and received it yesterday. I want to braai it this evening. Any suggestions?
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

So I got my pizza stone, gave it a test drive last night with pleasing results. Fired up the gas bbq with a hickory smoke box so got a nice flavour. The BBQ can get up to 350 plus degrees so pizzas are ready in about 6-8 mins.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Bokkom wrote:Chilli, I ordered baby back pork ribs online and received it yesterday. I want to braai it this evening. Any suggestions?
I would suggest a ginger, soy, honey marinade. Cook slowly so that they sugar in the honey doesn't burn.

Or

Brown sugar, paprika, garlic and all spice rub.