Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 4:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168 ... 185  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15806
Sards wrote:
I dig potatoes in my curry pots...only really do curry pots. And it does thicken the sauce. No need for thickening agents

Potato in curries :nod:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 5421
After last Wednesdays potjie the whole bloody family now wants to visit this weekend. The wife demands that I make another pot. Decided I'll do Lamb.

Brown Lamb in heated oil.
Add onion and sauté until transparent.
Season meat with salt and pepper.
Add wine and pour heated stock over
Arrange potatoes, green beans, baby marrows, mushrooms and spring onions on top of meat.
Spoon peeled and diced tomato on top of vegetables.
Sprinkle with oregano, cloves, paprika and rosemary.

Thinking of serving with samp.

Any ideas that I could incorporate?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15806
Average Joe wrote:
After last Wednesdays potjie the whole bloody family now wants to visit this weekend. The wife demands that I make another pot. Decided I'll do Lamb.

Brown Lamb in heated oil.
Add onion and sauté until transparent.
Season meat with salt and pepper.
Add wine and pour heated stock over
Arrange potatoes, green beans, baby marrows, mushrooms and spring onions on top of meat.
Spoon peeled and diced tomato on top of vegetables.
Sprinkle with oregano, cloves, paprika and rosemary.

Thinking of serving with samp.

Any ideas that I could incorporate?

Season the meat then brown it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25704
Chilli wrote:
Average Joe wrote:
After last Wednesdays potjie the whole bloody family now wants to visit this weekend. The wife demands that I make another pot. Decided I'll do Lamb.

Brown Lamb in heated oil.
Add onion and sauté until transparent.
Season meat with salt and pepper.
Add wine and pour heated stock over
Arrange potatoes, green beans, baby marrows, mushrooms and spring onions on top of meat.
Spoon peeled and diced tomato on top of vegetables.
Sprinkle with oregano, cloves, paprika and rosemary.

Thinking of serving with samp.

Any ideas that I could incorporate?

Season the meat then brown it.

And since the Mrs. is making you slave over a potjie, have her make a nice garlic, cheese, and onion potbrood to go with it :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9042
Location: The Fountain of Running Rugby
Some braai tips on News24 today

https://www.channel24.co.za/The-Juice/News/watch-steve-hofmyer-supporters-are-braaing-their-dstv-decoders-20190503


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15806
Big Nipper wrote:

Netflix >>>>>>>>DSTV except for the sport.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12064
Average Joe wrote:
After last Wednesdays potjie the whole bloody family now wants to visit this weekend. The wife demands that I make another pot. Decided I'll do Lamb.

Brown Lamb in heated oil.
Add onion and sauté until transparent.
Season meat with salt and pepper.
Add wine and pour heated stock over
Arrange potatoes, green beans, baby marrows, mushrooms and spring onions on top of meat.
Spoon peeled and diced tomato on top of vegetables.
Sprinkle with oregano, cloves, paprika and rosemary.

Thinking of serving with samp.

Any ideas that I could incorporate?


Sleep in separate rooms after that...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21210
Won’t lie, Not the first internet link I’ve clicked on concerning browning meat


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9936
Location: Texas
backrow wrote:
Won’t lie, Not the first internet link I’ve clicked on concerning browning meat

I saw this the other day and thought you would appreciate the concept of spilling your gravy on a keyboard

https://kfor.com/2019/05/02/gravy-cover ... rnography/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15806
Big Nipper wrote:

Do those Dutchmen understand that if they put meat on that braai it is going to taste like crap?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9042
Location: The Fountain of Running Rugby
Chilli wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:

Do those Dutchmen understand that if they put meat on that braai it is going to taste like crap?

Oh, so just like every OomPB braai then


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4144
Location: Bloemfontein
Braaing Boeries tonight and tomorrow sosaties, peri peri chicken pieces and pork chops. Life is good here in Central South Africa 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15806
DraadkarD wrote:
Braaing Boeries tonight and tomorrow sosaties, peri peri chicken pieces and pork chops. Life is good here in Central South Africa 8)

When I lived there fillet was cheaper than rump..............life was good!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4144
Location: Bloemfontein
Chilli wrote:
DraadkarD wrote:
Braaing Boeries tonight and tomorrow sosaties, peri peri chicken pieces and pork chops. Life is good here in Central South Africa 8)

When I lived there fillet was cheaper than rump..............life was good!


I had fillet for R99 a kilo the other day....pretty sure it was not fillet :uhoh:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 34
Some great ideas, making me hungry!

I like to serve 'greens' separate top any 'slow cook one pot shot' my favorite is Curry Goat.

Caribbean Greens (callaloo) with potato or sweet potato

For 4 people
1. Spinach or fresh Kale or Spring Greens (Sainsbury frozen spinach is good as it has little water and a lot of spinach)
2. Peas (frozen) Cup full
3. Onion 1 x medium
4. tomatoes 3 x medium (each halved, quartered and cut into eights)
5. Olive oil a good couple of slugs (2 x table spoons)
6. Garlic 3 large cloves sliced
7. Thyme 1.5 teaspoons
8. Tamarind Paste 3 x teaspoons
9. Allspice Ground 2 x teaspoons
10. Chilli half a teaspoon of chilli flakes or chopped fresh to taste
11. Fenugreek 1 x teaspoon
12. Potato/Sweet Potato 1 x medium/large diced roughly to 1cm squared
13. Salt & Pepper season to taste

Take a deep frying pan (which has a lid).
Fry in olive oil, a peeled medium sized diced sweet potato with a finely sliced medium onion. Don't over cook or burn. (normal white, 'Irish' potato's as some Caribbean friends call them take a bit longer to cook so you can parboil them).
After a couple of minutes add:-
salt, pepper, ground all spice berries, chilli, garlic, thyme, tamarind and stir , do not allow to burn It to dry add a little more oil.
Then add frozen peas/spinach, chopped Kale/spring greens and a small amount of water (half a cup), then sprinkle the fenugreek powder on top and season with salt & pepper.
Make sure the water/liquid at the bottom of the pan is simmering, place on the lid and turn the heat down so all the ingredient braise together.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15806
barstoolquaterback wrote:
Some great ideas, making me hungry!

I like to serve 'greens' separate top any 'slow cook one pot shot' my favorite is Curry Goat.

Caribbean Greens (callaloo) with potato or sweet potato

For 4 people
1. Spinach or fresh Kale or Spring Greens (Sainsbury frozen spinach is good as it has little water and a lot of spinach)
2. Peas (frozen) Cup full
3. Onion 1 x medium
4. tomatoes 3 x medium (each halved, quartered and cut into eights)
5. Olive oil a good couple of slugs (2 x table spoons)
6. Garlic 3 large cloves sliced
7. Thyme 1.5 teaspoons
8. Tamarind Paste 3 x teaspoons
9. Allspice Ground 2 x teaspoons
10. Chilli half a teaspoon of chilli flakes or chopped fresh to taste
11. Fenugreek 1 x teaspoon
12. Potato/Sweet Potato 1 x medium/large diced roughly to 1cm squared
13. Salt & Pepper season to taste

Take a deep frying pan (which has a lid).
Fry in olive oil, a peeled medium sized diced sweet potato with a finely sliced medium onion. Don't over cook or burn. (normal white, 'Irish' potato's as some Caribbean friends call them take a bit longer to cook so you can parboil them).
After a couple of minutes add:-
salt, pepper, ground all spice berries, chilli, garlic, thyme, tamarind and stir , do not allow to burn It to dry add a little more oil.
Then add frozen peas/spinach, chopped Kale/spring greens and a small amount of water (half a cup), then sprinkle the fenugreek powder on top and season with salt & pepper.
Make sure the water/liquid at the bottom of the pan is simmering, place on the lid and turn the heat down so all the ingredient braise together.

:thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15806
It looks like I am off tonight. Going to braai a lamb rump on the Weber. :thumbup: :P


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29933
Location: Innie Kaap
Slow cooked pork belly cubes. 5 hours at 100'C...Smoked throwing fresh herbs onto the coals. Used Namibian charcoal that I get from a friend. Very rich dish. 3 Cubes was my maximum. Very much an Oriental flavor as we used a Taiwanese 11 spice rub.

Image
Image
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15806
Sards wrote:
Slow cooked pork belly cubes. 5 hours at 100'C...Smoked throwing fresh herbs onto the coals. Used Namibian charcoal that I get from a friend. Very rich dish. 3 Cubes was my maximum. Very much an Oriental flavor as we used a Taiwanese 11 spice rub.

Image
Image
Image
Image

WOW! I want to eat that.! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29933
Location: Innie Kaap
thanks Chilli...I needed to try the low and slow method and was very impressed with the result for a first effort. The idea is that at the end of a cooking day you can put your low and slow product in ready for the next day which they are currently doing for tomato...or early morning ready for service that day.

I would rather try another rub next time more along the barbeque flavor side and possibly trim more fat off if I can...that contributes to the richness. The meat was so tender I couldn't turn it without breaking it apart. That was the best for me.

I also need to work with more fragrant wood although the fresh herbs thrown onto the coals works outstandingly well. It really saturates the meat. i also feel I need to reduce the time a wee bit to around 4 hours in total. I got a bit of crispness on the outside of the cubes.

Next I want to try smoking chicken breasts...Maybe someone has a decent mix for the rub for me...and a method.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15806
Sards wrote:
thanks Chilli...I needed to try the low and slow method and was very impressed with the result for a first effort. The idea is that at the end of a cooking day you can put your low and slow product in ready for the next day which they are currently doing for tomato...or early morning ready for service that day.

I would rather try another rub next time more along the barbeque flavor side and possibly trim more fat off if I can...that contributes to the richness. The meat was so tender I couldn't turn it without breaking it apart. That was the best for me.

I also need to work with more fragrant wood although the fresh herbs thrown onto the coals works outstandingly well. It really saturates the meat. i also feel I need to reduce the time a wee bit to around 4 hours in total. I got a bit of crispness on the outside of the cubes.

Next I want to try smoking chicken breasts...Maybe someone has a decent mix for the rub for me...and a method.


Try to get fresh Bay Leaves and thin Bay branches. Make skewers out of the branches, rub chunks of rump [with fat on] with oil, white pepper, garlic and salt flakes.

Braai on hot coals, while doing this chuck the Bay Leafs onto the coals to make smoke, just as the meat is ready brush with butter and eat. This is a proper Espetade.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29933
Location: Innie Kaap
Chilli wrote:

Try to get fresh Bay Leaves and thin Bay branches. Make skewers out of the branches, rub chunks of rump [with fat on] with oil, white pepper, garlic and salt flakes.

Braai on hot coals, while doing this chuck the Bay Leafs onto the coals to make smoke, just as the meat is ready brush with butter and eat. This is a proper Espetade.


OOOOHHHHH.....I have to try that......


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15806
Sards. Did you supply a Diablo to Beau Constantia?
I saw them using something similar on Master Chef.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28166
Location: Chickenrunning...
Pork cubes look awesome, Eggman :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3355
Very good stuff Sards!! will try that, smoke pork for a couple of hours, have to look at the correct cut yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3355
Those cubes with smashed potatos/garlick/grated cheddar and lots of butter.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am
Posts: 10975
Going to an Argentine steakhouse later where they do everything on a wood-fired parrilla. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3355
Bowens wrote:
Going to an Argentine steakhouse later where they do everything on a wood-fired parrilla. :thumbup:

Enjoy! which one if possible to know?.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am
Posts: 10975
https://pampassteakhouse.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 377
Location: Houston
julian wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Going to an Argentine steakhouse later where they do everything on a wood-fired parrilla. :thumbup:

Enjoy! which one if possible to know?.


I had a great experience and fantastic food at La Brigada steakhouse in the San Telmo district. We had multiple cuts of steak served family style and their party piece was the waiter cutting up the meat with a spoon to demonstrate how tender is was. I joked to my host that they must have sharpened the spoon, judging by the look I got from the waiter, I don't think he appreciated my joke :D . Great place with lots of cool football memorabilia all over the walls and ceilings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29933
Location: Innie Kaap
Spyglass wrote:
julian wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Going to an Argentine steakhouse later where they do everything on a wood-fired parrilla. :thumbup:

Enjoy! which one if possible to know?.


I had a great experience and fantastic food at La Brigada steakhouse in the San Telmo district. We had multiple cuts of steak served family style and their party piece was the waiter cutting up the meat with a spoon to demonstrate how tender is was. I joked to my host that they must have sharpened the spoon, judging by the look I got from the waiter, I don't think he appreciated my joke :D . Great place with lots of cool football memorabilia all over the walls and ceilings.



yum


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3355
La Brigada is a very good tourist oriented grill.

Bowens, if you go for the wine, depending on the budget you have there many good choices, if on a tight budget go for the Colomé, if not and plenty of cash :D go for the Riglos Gran Corte.

:thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am
Posts: 10975
Appreciate it. Will let you know how everything was.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29933
Location: Innie Kaap
julian wrote:
La Brigada is a very good tourist oriented grill.

Bowens, if you go for the wine, depending on the budget you have there many good choices, if on a tight budget go for the Colomé, if not and plenty of cash :D go for the Riglos Gran Corte.

:thumbup:


I see their meat is done on a Parrilla grill...

I build something similar...I built this one for myself so its half the size of my normal one...just need to do a lot of additional renovations to get it in...and proper extraction...for now I use it as a demo unit

Image
Image

I had a lot of fun designing the pulley system that I had laser cut


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15806
Sards wrote:
julian wrote:
La Brigada is a very good tourist oriented grill.

Bowens, if you go for the wine, depending on the budget you have there many good choices, if on a tight budget go for the Colomé, if not and plenty of cash :D go for the Riglos Gran Corte.

:thumbup:


I see their meat is done on a Parrilla grill...

I build something similar...I built this one for myself so its half the size of my normal one...just need to do a lot of additional renovations to get it in...and proper extraction...for now I use it as a demo unit

Image
Image

I had a lot of fun designing the pulley system that I had laser cut



Sards. Did you supply a Diablo to Beau Constantia?
I saw them using something similar on Master Chef.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29933
Location: Innie Kaap
Image

here is one of mine in action


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29933
Location: Innie Kaap
Chilli wrote:


Sards. Did you supply a Diablo to Beau Constantia?
I saw them using something similar on Master Chef.



I am not sure Chilli...I dont do much of the training now so dont get to see the clients...will check their website...

who was the chef Chilli


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21826
Location: Stellenbosch
Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote:


Sards. Did you supply a Diablo to Beau Constantia?
I saw them using something similar on Master Chef.

I am not sure Chilli...I dont do much of the training now so dont get to see the clients...will check their website...

who was the chef Chilli
Jan Braai


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15806
Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote:


Sards. Did you supply a Diablo to Beau Constantia?
I saw them using something similar on Master Chef.



I am not sure Chilli...I dont do much of the training now so dont get to see the clients...will check their website...

who was the chef Chilli


Liam Tomlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3355
It seems to be high quality!, although it is suggested that you never use the V shaped but rounded simple iron bars. In V shaped the meat is boiled by own juices, meanwhile rounded bars let juices and fat slowly melt and burn.

You can do it with a bit more width and don't neet to put the wheel so high, there are some grills that have the wheel in front.

My grill for example has not moving parts, it is just moving the coals:



Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168 ... 185  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BlackMac, camroc1, CarrotGawks, Edinburgh01, Frequent Flyer, Gavin Duffy, Google Adsense [Bot], Harveys, Lobby, Nolanator, Raggs, Saint, SaintK, sonic_attack, Ulsters Red Hand and 91 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group