Official Braai Thread

All things Rugby
OomStruisbaai

Re: Official Braai Thread

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Back home, tired after travelling yesterday and today. Toks en chops and decide to braai. Its Bok spirit is high in SA. Awesome vibe all over.
Sards

Post by Sards »

OomPB wrote:Back home, tired after travelling yesterday and today. Toks en chops and decide to braai. Its Bok spirit is high in SA. Awesome vibe all over.
must admit its awesome...you cannot help but get swept up in it
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

handyman

Post by handyman »

Lyk na iets vir die windgat manne in Knysna. Of vir die souties.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

handyman wrote:
Sards gaan sukkel om sy braaie in die Paarl te verkoop.
handyman

Post by handyman »

OomPB wrote:
handyman wrote:
Niks werk beter as 'n drom/geyser/gaskan braai nie.
Sards

Post by Sards »

OomPB wrote:
handyman wrote:
Dude...my Diablo is in another league. That's a braai. With a fancy lifter...
Still too inconsistent. No all round even heat to seal the meat...no browning for doing the top of pizza or browning the top of your veg...or charcoal cooking veg at all...and you just don't get the same flavor or consistency in marrow bones which is my fave and a cholesterol killer. Dude...no comparison at all...My unit takes braai to a level of perfection.

Not boasting...but when I started my quest for a perfect braai experience I went through a lot of braais before I arrived at this point.

Best of all...there are only 4 of mine in existence in private homes...I like that exclusivity.

Besides which. Mine comes with a hefty price tag
Last edited by Sards on Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Sards wrote:
OomPB wrote:
handyman wrote:
Still too inconsistent. No all round even heat to seal the meat...no browning for doing the top of pizza or browning the top of your veg...or charcoal cooking veg at all...and you just don't get the same flavor or consistency in marrow bones which is my fave and a cholesterol killer. Dude...no comparison at all...My unit takes braai to a level of perfection.

Not boasting...but when I started my quest for a perfect braai experience I went through a lot of braais before I arrived at this point.

Best of all...there are only 4 of mine in existence in private homes...I like that exclusivity
Yes ummm. Pizza is not a FVCKING braai!
Sards

Post by Sards »

Sauce...you are far too limited in your imagination. You have constrained your mind.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

When I was younger I'll get too pissed to watch the fire and end up asking my wife to start the oven. Luckily we could afford a gas oven back then or she would have to struggle with a charcoal one like Sards.
handyman

Post by handyman »

So this weekend, going to Stilbaai. Tonight chicken guns, tomorrow afternoon hot dogs and tomorrow night I'll be assisting in a deboned lamb spit.

To those saffers abroad, it will be just another regular weekend in South Africa. Enjoy mud island!
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

handyman wrote:So this weekend, going to Stilbaai. Tonight chicken guns, tomorrow afternoon hot dogs and tomorrow night I'll be assisting in a deboned lamb spit.

To those saffers abroad, it will be just another regular weekend in South Africa. Enjoy mud island!
Why would you debone a lamb and take away the thing that gives the lamb its most flavour?
Sards

Post by Sards »

I leave today...in an hour...for my sons boys weekend away...going to watch the kids braai boerewors and burgers tonight. Sucking on Castle lights watching the waves roll in the bay from our cottage overlooking the sea...Just my mate, myself and 4 eleven year olds...I've got the guns with so we might shoot a little and cricket gear for a game on the beach and we will probably throw a line in the water when the sun goes down...
Sards

Post by Sards »

handyman wrote:So this weekend, going to Stilbaai. Tonight chicken guns, tomorrow afternoon hot dogs and tomorrow night I'll be assisting in a deboned lamb spit.

Dude you are down the drag from us...we are going to Die Dam...Hook up for a dop this weekend...we are going to the Boathouse restaurant in Gansbaai for a meal tomorrow night around 4 to 6
assfly

Post by assfly »

handyman wrote:To those saffers abroad, it will be just another regular weekend in South Africa. Enjoy mud island!
Stay safe boet :thumbup:
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

With all the storms and rain in Deben I doubt that we will be having a braai at all.

Having said that the sun has just come out.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Sards wrote:
OomPB wrote:
handyman wrote:

Best of all...there are only 4 of mine in existence in private homes...I like that exclusivity.

Besides which. Mine comes with a hefty price tag
If you call someone "Dude" then it means you cant braai properly
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Sards wrote:

Dude you are down the drag from us...we are going to Die Dam...Hook up for a dop this weekend...we are going to the Boathouse restaurant in Gansbaai for a meal tomorrow night around 4 to 6
Gaan eet ordentlik by Baardskeerdersbos by Marietjies Pub en Grill. Meat platter vir R180. 32 kms van die dam.

Julle moet n slag vir my ondersteun, ongelukkig vlieg ek sondag weer Lagos toe.
beachboy

Post by beachboy »

Hermanus for the week-end, going to bunk off from work in about 2 hours. Managed to buy some fillet at a great price. My son-in-law is genius at doing fillet, so I shall light the fire and let him braai the fillet and he makes a great pepper sauce. With a couple of potatoes and washed down with some Windhoek Draft, gazing out at the ocean, what could be better. Another shit day in Africa.
handyman

Post by handyman »

OomPB wrote:
Sards wrote:

Gaan eet ordentlik by Baardskeerdersbos by Marietjies Pub en Grill. Meat platter vir R180. 32 kms van die dam.

Julle moet n slag vir my ondersteun, ongelukkig vlieg ek sondag weer Lagos toe.
Stilbaai en Die Dam is moer ver van mekaar af, weet nie hoe ver sards se google maps nie.
Is Marietjies Pub & Grill die een met die keppies? Lekker plek.
handyman

Post by handyman »

beachboy wrote:Hermanus for the week-end, going to bunk off from work in about 2 hours. Managed to buy some fillet at a great price. My son-in-law is genius at doing fillet, so I shall light the fire and let him braai the fillet and he makes a great pepper sauce. With a couple of potatoes and washed down with some Windhoek Draft, gazing out at the ocean, what could be better. Another shit day in Africa.
You always get people saying it's got no flavour, but I just love fillet.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

beachboy wrote:Another shit day in Africa.
Joyannesburg is particularly sit this afternoon. :lol:
Sards

Post by Sards »

beachboy wrote:Hermanus for the week-end, going to bunk off from work in about 2 hours. Managed to buy some fillet at a great price. My son-in-law is genius at doing fillet, so I shall light the fire and let him braai the fillet and he makes a great pepper sauce. With a couple of potatoes and washed down with some Windhoek Draft, gazing out at the ocean, what could be better. Another shit day in Africa.
Seems us Capies are looking for the sunshine
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Checkers has rib eye on the bone at R89.00 per kg. I am braaing in the vokken rain tonight.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Chilli wrote:Checkers has rib eye on the bone at R89.00 per kg. I am braaing in the vokken rain tonight.
:shock:

Their wors is pretty good too.
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

Sounds like heaven beachboy, enjoy.
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

handyman wrote:
ribeye my favorite steak but yes, fillet is awesome.
handyman

Post by handyman »

saffer13 wrote:
handyman wrote:
ribeye my favorite steak but yes, fillet is awesome.
Yep, can't beat ribeye.

Yet to try a tomahawk steak tho.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

sorCrer wrote:
Chilli wrote:Checkers has rib eye on the bone at R89.00 per kg. I am braaing in the vokken rain tonight.

I went to school with one of their senior buyers - he takes his meat very seriously! :thumbup:
Sards

Post by Sards »

Sandstorm wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

I dated one of their senior buyers - he takes his meat very seriously! :thumbup:
:lol:
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Order T Bone in Lagos. The waiter brought two , bit bigger then lamb chops but vok me they were taai. Nearly broke my tupperwares.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

So I am going to build a binnebraai in my dining room - the fokken wind in PE is so kak you can hardly braai from Sept - Nov

Going to make a 1.8m opening and have hooks from the top to hang pots and tongs etc

Something like this design, obviously a bit smaller, but same effect

Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Sard you tosser :lol:
Sards

Post by Sards »

Big Nipper wrote:So I am going to build a binnebraai in my dining room - the fokken wind in PE is so kak you can hardly braai from Sept - Nov

Going to make a 1.8m opening and have hooks from the top to hang pots and tongs etc

Dont....I never use mine...your home will stink of smoke....build an afdak on rather.

Especially with the wind.

Alternatively try find an old farmhouse that has a fireplace in the kitchen and look how its built. The one I remember was very deep so the smoke can draw properly and not get into the house with a large chimney.
Last edited by Sards on Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Sandstorm wrote:Sard you tosser :lol:
Is jy n agtermekaar kerel?
Sards

Post by Sards »

OomPB wrote: Is jy n agtermekaar kerel?
:lol:

never heard that term before
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

Sards wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:So I am going to build a binnebraai in my dining room - the fokken wind in PE is so kak you can hardly braai from Sept - Nov

Dont....I never use mine...your home will stink of smoke....build an afdak on rather.

Alternatively try find an old farmhouse that has a fireplace in the kitchen and look how its built. The one I remember was very deep so the smoke can draw properly and not get into the house with a large chimney.
Yeah i am building mine out, so the front end of braai will be my current wall and the body of the braai is then going out into the current back yard, and so the fire will be made a bit deeper with a big chimney to pull all the smoke out

Well, thats the plan anyway
Sards

Post by Sards »

Big Nipper wrote:
Sards wrote:

Yeah i am building mine out, so the front end of braai will be my current wall and the body of the braai is then going out into the current back yard, and so the fire will be made a bit deeper with a big chimney to pull all the smoke out

Well, thats the plan anyway
Just ask the question of the contractor so it's on record. I tried everything...My flue was big and 3m up...didn't help. Extended another metre and a half...didn't work. Changed the cowel..
didn't work...Halved the height of my braai in front with a false panel...didn't work...

That's where I am stuck now....the smoke sits on your curtains and furniture.

Wind is a bitch
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

In the 18th century Lord Rumford figured out chimney design

Google it - it is pretty simple
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

Monk Zombie wrote:In the 18th century Lord Rumford figured out chimney design

Google it - it is pretty simple
I had one built in my previous home and it worked perfectly