Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 5:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:46 am 

handyman wrote:
backrow wrote:
will do first charcoal braai this weekend, I've arranged my garage and found 6 sacks of coals my old zimbo housesitters had left :o

wont be anything flash like marrow bones and sards shit like that, just steak, o wors ring, marinated chicken quarters (that bright orange powder stuff you can buy in SA Afrikaans butcheries), braaibrookies and lots of mealies.

and i'm getting our jacuzzi out too. this lockdown is hell.

Steak stap alleen.

We'll make a saffer out of you yet.

i'm too funny for that

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:02 am 

backrow wrote:
will do first charcoal braai this weekend, I've arranged my garage and found 6 sacks of coals my old zimbo housesitters had left :o

wont be anything flash like marrow bones and sards shit like that, just steak, o wors ring, marinated chicken quarters (that bright orange powder stuff you can buy in SA Afrikaans butcheries), braaibrookies and lots of mealies.

Are you lock down in SA?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:04 am 

OomPB wrote:
backrow wrote:

Are you lock down in SA?

no, Surreydorp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:15 am 

backrow wrote:
OomPB wrote:
backrow wrote:

Are you lock down in SA?

no, Surreydorp

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:24 am 

So, too keep busy this weekend, I will at different times be braaiing : lamb ribs, boerewors, pork neck chops, braai broodjies and pork belly in the Weber.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:34 am 

backrow wrote:
handyman wrote:
backrow wrote:

Steak stap alleen.

i'm too funny for that

That you are. 'Braaibrookies' :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:50 am 

backrow wrote:
OomPB wrote:
backrow wrote:

Are you lock down in SA?

no, Surreydorp

You mean Surreyfontein?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:51 am 

handyman wrote:
So, too keep busy this weekend, I will at different times be braaiing : lamb ribs, boerewors, pork neck chops, braai broodjies and pork belly in the Weber.

I hope you fetch your family. ;) To much pork there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:51 pm 

backrow wrote:
handyman wrote:
backrow wrote:

Steak stap alleen.

i'm too funny for that

funny peculiar?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:38 am 

Sards wrote:

marrow bones are the bomb....so unhealthy but so full of flavor...p.s. Thats multiseed loaf to ease my conscience.For some reason the round cut marrow bones have more flavor than the long cut ones....Chilli?????...and yeah....I get your mushroom sauce thing....but thats all the kids eat...

Oh and thats hash browns....the entire dish done on the coals.

garnish not placed correctly, misuse of stalk. 2/10 WNE

Serioulsy Sards that look great. Especially the marrow and cross cut is much better than long cut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:32 pm 

So for tonight we are going to braai: steak, pork chops and mielies. Accompanied by a Greek salad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:20 am 

OomPB wrote:
handyman wrote:

I hope you fetch your family. ;) To much pork there.

1st thing after the lockdown, they must come home.

In the end, left the pork belly in the fridge and braai skaapboud.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:33 pm 

Nipper, I finally went to Merino this morning. The meat looks nice and it is not badly priced. They cut me really nice thick lamb loin chops which I will braai tonight. Bought some rump and mince as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:42 am 

What's on the braai menu for the weekend?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:48 am 

Chilli wrote:
Nipper, I finally went to Merino this morning. The meat looks nice and it is not badly priced. They cut me really nice thick lamb loin chops which I will braai tonight. Bought some rump and mince as well.

Lamb was really tasty, will braai the rump tonight now that the fvcking wind seems to have dropped. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:16 am 

Chilli wrote:
Chilli wrote:

Lamb was really tasty, will braai the rump tonight now that the fvcking wind seems to have dropped. :thumbup:

The wind has dropped in PE? That will only be for 20 minutes or so.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:30 am 

I have taken the plunge and ordered a smoke box and some wood chips. Have made a nice spice rub that will be used on a shoulder pork and another rub I will be using on a brisket of beef. I will be eating like a king this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:56 am 

Chilli wrote:
So for tonight we are going to braai: steak, pork chops and mielies. Accompanied by a Greek salad.

I love braai mielies! Best veg on there by miles imho

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:00 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
I have taken the plunge and ordered a smoke box and some wood chips. Have made a nice spice rub that will be used on a shoulder pork and another rub I will be using on a brisket of beef. I will be eating like a king this weekend.

Sounds good. Will we receive a report on Monday?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:06 am 

Chilli wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Sounds good. Will we receive a report on Monday?

Assuming I am out of my food coma, then yes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:56 am 

Right, I am now in possession of a 2.5kg pork shoulder. I am making a spice rub with the following:

Rock salt
Smoked Paprika
Black Pepper
Brown sugar
Chilli Powder
Mustard Powder
Garlic Powder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:24 am 

Sounds good Danny

Yesterday, wifey did a chicken flattie (slightly too early and hot, bit too much blackened skin ) that was awesome, then we put a 2kg lamb leg on and closed the cover. The rub was ‘Provence herbs’ whatever they are. Left the vents open and came back later to a wonderful bit of lamb !

We’ve never put a meat joint on the coals before so for a first attempt, it went amazingly well tbf.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:43 am 

backrow wrote:
Sounds good Danny

Yesterday, wifey did a chicken flattie (slightly too early and hot, bit too much blackened skin ) that was awesome, then we put a 2kg lamb leg on and closed the cover. The rub was ‘Provence herbs’ whatever they are. Left the vents open and came back later to a wonderful bit of lamb !

We’ve never put a meat joint on the coals before so for a first attempt, it went amazingly well tbf.

:thumbup:

I have a gas BBQ so had to order a smoke box and some hickory wood chips. Doing a 50/50 cook between the oven and the BBQ as I don't fancy burning through all my gas with an 11 hour slow cook. Basically trying to make a pulled pork extravaganza. Have been watching loads of hill billy South Carolina heart attack inducing you tube videos of slow cook BBQ'ing and while they are great I simply don't have the time or inclination to spend 15 hours or so nursing and injecting a side of meat, hence my compromise.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:10 pm 

Our oven isn't working and I keep telling my wife there is no need to spend $$ on a new one when we can braai. I'm braaiing a lot. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:21 pm 

Chaps, any tips on marinated chicken on how to make sure it’s cooked through without the skin going too black and burnt ? I just have a small coals braai so can’t adjust height, just the coals temp.

When I braai plain chicken it’s fine, just when I do the marinated stuff the kids like.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:52 pm 

backrow wrote:
Chaps, any tips on marinated chicken on how to make sure it’s cooked through without the skin going too black and burnt ? I just have a small coals braai so can’t adjust height, just the coals temp.

When I braai plain chicken it’s fine, just when I do the marinated stuff the kids like.

Cut thin slices of lemon and coat the grid and braai your chicken ontop of them. Also gives a lemon flavor to the chicken.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:19 pm 

backrow wrote:

In my experience, don't apply any basting containing sugar during the early stages. That's the shit that burns. And yes, anything with tomato sauce is deadly for that reason. Braai for 3/4 of the time with herbs and spices and add the basting at the end.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:14 am 

Yeeb, what you do have now is time. Braai the chicken on less heat than usual for longer. Might need a separate fire to have coals ready.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:27 am 

Bokkom wrote:
backrow wrote:

In my experience, don't apply any basting containing sugar during the early stages. That's the shit that burns. And yes, anything with tomato sauce is deadly for that reason. Braai for 3/4 of the time with herbs and spices and add the basting at the end.

This.
It is normally the sugar that burns.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:51 am 

Thanks guys, will try - as you say, I have time to learn !

Tbh my wife was egging me on to put more coals on, don’t want it dying out etc - I thought coals were too hot and wanted the lid on more with just the vents on.
Just putting the marinade on at the end though , surely that won’t be enough time for the meat to soak up the flavours ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13 am 

backrow wrote:
Just putting the marinade on at the end though , surely that won’t be enough time for the meat to soak up the flavours ?

That's why I prefer my method of lower heat for longer. Have to keep an eye on it tho, easy to do once you've got the hang of it. Not ideal when you're busy playing with the kids and overdoing the drinks...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:52 am 

backrow wrote:

Tbh my wife was egging me on to put more coals on, don’t want it dying out etc - I thought coals were too hot and wanted the lid on more with just the vents on.

Your problem is evident.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:00 am 

backrow wrote:

Sounds like you are using a Weber

Try indirect cooking with the cover on

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:11 am 

sorCrer wrote:
backrow wrote:

Your problem is evident.

This is true - from coals to dishwasher loading procedure , she will let me know what I’m doing wrong

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:12 am 

[quote="Monk Zombie"][quote="backrow"]Thanks guys, will try - as you say, I have time to learn !

Just putting the marinade on at the end though , surely that won’t be enough time for the meat to soak up the flavours ?[/quote]

Try indirect cooking with the cover on[/quote]
Sounds like the correct suggestion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:13 am 

[quote="Monk Zombie"][quote="backrow"]Thanks guys, will try - as you say, I have time to learn !

Just putting the marinade on at the end though , surely that won’t be enough time for the meat to soak up the flavours ?[/quote]

Try indirect cooking with the cover on[/quote]
Sounds like the correct suggestion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:13 am 

Monk Zombie wrote:
backrow wrote:

Try indirect cooking with the cover on

Yeah , Weber clone - we got it free as was used for a ‘come and buy our mayo’ display for Hellman’s and my old firm was literally going to throw it away ! I said ‘I will take that’ and off I went as was unused and would have ended up in a skip which is daft.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:29 am 

backrow wrote:

Another option is to wrap in foil for initial cooking period (keeps moist and prevents too much charring) - keep the liquid collected in the foil to baste when you put it fully on the coals.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:34 am 

If I am feeding lots of people I cook chicken in a marinade in the oven first before lobbing on the BBQ. Saves killing people.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:43 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
If I am feeding lots of people I cook chicken in a marinade in the oven first before lobbing on the BBQ. Saves killing people.

Quite right. We do that most times anyway.

Slow bake the flattied marinated fowl and then finish it off on the braai

Cannot really beat it as the joints are bloodless and the bird remains juicy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185  Next