**OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Davestar

Re: **OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

Post by Davestar »

Thacker makes Lee Mears look like a behemoth.
Leicester Mafia

Post by Leicester Mafia »

geordie_6 wrote:
Leicester Mafia wrote:Harry Thacker scored a cracking try for Leicester against Newcastle at the weekend, highlights of which are available on the Tigers website and maybe YouTube.

So I am officially starting the Harry Thacker for England bandwagon, get on early to experience the crushing disappointment of watching a talented youth sit in the stands at Leicester while some foreign journeyman stinks up the pitch :thumbup:
Terrible tackling from the Falcons did help, but he did rather well, particularly to ride the initial shot from MoBo.

Can Thacker throw and scrummage?
That's not been a barrier to selection for Youngs, but yes he appears to have a tidy set piece. He is a lifelong hooker, not a late convert
geordie_6

Post by geordie_6 »

Leicester Mafia wrote:
geordie_6 wrote:
Leicester Mafia wrote:Harry Thacker scored a cracking try for Leicester against Newcastle at the weekend, highlights of which are available on the Tigers website and maybe YouTube.

So I am officially starting the Harry Thacker for England bandwagon, get on early to experience the crushing disappointment of watching a talented youth sit in the stands at Leicester while some foreign journeyman stinks up the pitch :thumbup:
Terrible tackling from the Falcons did help, but he did rather well, particularly to ride the initial shot from MoBo.

That's not been a barrier to selection for Youngs, but yes he appears to have a tidy set piece. He is a lifelong hooker, not a late convert
Interesting to see if Cockerill is willing to take a shot on him this season, have the rumours of him moving to 7 died a death?

Also, from a Tiggers perspective, when are we expecting Manu to be involved again?
Leicester Mafia

Post by Leicester Mafia »

geordie_6 wrote:
Leicester Mafia wrote:
geordie_6 wrote:

Interesting to see if Cockerill is willing to take a shot on him this season, have the rumours of him moving to 7 died a death?

Also, from a Tiggers perspective, when are we expecting Manu to be involved again?

Don't know about hooker v openside for Thacker, likewise with Manu info is a bit thin on the ground. Leicester are crap at injury updates, he could be dead and cremated and Cockerill would still say he was ready to play "soon"
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

10 Sarries Academy graduates in the XV to face Wuss

davidswiss

Post by davidswiss »

Leicester Mafia wrote:
geordie_6 wrote:

His dad was a hooker when that meant they actually had to hook so I'm sure he knows what to do.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

A5D5E5 wrote:I seem to remember Neil Back was overlooked for several years and he went on to have a reasonable international career. There is hope for Kvesic yet.
Especially when you consider that he is 23
geordie_6

Post by geordie_6 »

Leicester Mafia wrote:
geordie_6 wrote:
Leicester Mafia wrote:
geordie_6 wrote:

Don't know about hooker v openside for Thacker, likewise with Manu info is a bit thin on the ground. Leicester are crap at injury updates, he could be dead and cremated and Cockerill would still say he was ready to play "soon"
Wait and see then re Manu?

OC, was it you that said a little while back that Sarries weren't actively looking to replace Strettle as they feel Earle may be able to step up this season?
Cozzer

Post by Cozzer »

Much is made of the relative merits of players who are either out of form, playing in the 'wrong' positions or seem to be there for reasons other than their rugby prowess (nepotism).

However one of the more damning recurring themes seems to me to be that the RFU employs coaches who have not achieved a great deal as .. well coaches. We've all heard how Lancaster is a Level 5 Jedi Master but prior to his appointment what had he done/won? He'd coached Leeds Carnegie for a couple of seasons and had a spell as Saxons coach (England's 3/4th team). The latter doesn't actually play a lot of games in a year does it? Then we have Mr Farrell - a god amongst men in Rugby League circles but as far as coaching experience? Two or three years at Saracens as assistant coach. Then there's Mike Catt who's been an attack coach on and off since 2008. And there's Graeme Rowntree who had a spell at Tigers before becoming the incumbent Forwards coach [of the four he's the guy who I think deserves his role].

They're all good men. But they don't exude class, much less a trophy-laden past (in coaching terms). Look what New Zealand did with Ted, Hansen and John Mitchell. They let them earn their stripes coaching other International sides. Okay, Mitchell was not the head honcho in terms of the England set-up but he was one of Woodward's trusted lieutenants when they were on the up and up.

If it goes tits up on Saturday (and I have the most awful feeling it might) will the RFU have the courage to admit that they screwed it up yet again? And will we finally see England appoint the equivalent of a Joe Schmidt, Wayne Smith, Eddie Jones next time round? It's weird but I can take the slings and arrows of losing an AP semi-final or a European Cup (Heineken) much more easily than watching England constantly fumble and bumble their way through season after unfulfilled season. I truly believe we have the players to compete with anyone on the day, but if they're not even invited to the party?

Well, that was therapeutic! Thank you for letting me get that off my chest. Where's the lemsip and the jazz mag?
armchairfan

Post by armchairfan »

openclashXX wrote:10 Sarries Academy graduates in the XV to face Wuss

:thumbup: Good to see Fraser back, Spencer is looking better and better every game ( and the best kicker we have ).

Some Future england stars in that Line up!
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

Cozzer wrote:Much is made of the relative merits of players who are either out of form, playing in the 'wrong' positions or seem to be there for reasons other than their rugby prowess (nepotism).

However one of the more damning recurring themes seems to me to be that the RFU employs coaches who have not achieved a great deal as .. well coaches. We've all heard how Lancaster is a Level 5 Jedi Master but prior to his appointment what had he done/won? He'd coached Leeds Carnegie for a couple of seasons and had a spell as Saxons coach (England's 3/4th team). The latter doesn't actually play a lot of games in a year does it? Then we have Mr Farrell - a god amongst men in Rugby League circles but as far as coaching experience? Two or three years at Saracens as assistant coach. Then there's Mike Catt who's been an attack coach on and off since 2008. And there's Graeme Rowntree who had a spell at Tigers before becoming the incumbent Forwards coach [of the four he's the guy who I think deserves his role].

They're all good men. But they don't exude class, much less a trophy-laden past (in coaching terms). Look what New Zealand did with Ted, Hansen and John Mitchell. They let them earn their stripes coaching other International sides. Okay, Mitchell was not the head honcho in terms of the England set-up but he was one of Woodward's trusted lieutenants when they were on the up and up.

If it goes tits up on Saturday (and I have the most awful feeling it might) will the RFU have the courage to admit that they screwed it up yet again? And will we finally see England appoint the equivalent of a Joe Schmidt, Wayne Smith, Eddie Jones next time round? It's weird but I can take the slings and arrows of losing an AP semi-final or a European Cup (Heineken) much more easily than watching England constantly fumble and bumble their way through season after unfulfilled season. I truly believe we have the players to compete with anyone on the day, but if they're not even invited to the party?

Well, that was therapeutic! Thank you for letting me get that off my chest. Where's the lemsip and the jazz mag?
I just agree with all of that, really. If we had a Joe Schmidt, I think we'd challenge the ABs every time.
Cozzer

Post by Cozzer »

armchairfan wrote:

:thumbup: Good to see Fraser back, Spencer is looking better and better every game ( and the best kicker we have ).

Saracens do seem to have an abundance of talent, with Itoje looking the pick of the crop. Do you think he'll be made perma captain in the not-too-distant future?
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

Itoje still looks a bit undersized for lock. Would either need to be paired with a lump, or given time to fill his frame. Get him on the good chicken.
Last edited by Hawk97 on Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
armchairfan

Post by armchairfan »

Cozzer wrote:Much is made of the relative merits of players who are either out of form, playing in the 'wrong' positions or seem to be there for reasons other than their rugby prowess (nepotism).

:thumbup:

Who would we get though?

Head coach for me isnt a worry, it's who is underneath that really seems to be the issue.
geordie_6

Post by geordie_6 »

armchairfan wrote:

Spencer likely to be given more time this season, or going to stay in the doldrums behind Wiggy and De Kock?
armchairfan

Post by armchairfan »

Cozzer wrote:
armchairfan wrote:

Saracens do seem to have an abundance of talent, with Itoje looking the pick of the crop. Do you think he'll be made perma captain in the not-too-distant future?
I can see no reason why not, there are some real potential talent coming through this year which given we could see a couple of key retirements ( De-Kock & Hodgeson.. maybe Ashton to France? ) bodes well.
armchairfan

Post by armchairfan »

geordie_6 wrote:
armchairfan wrote:

Spencer likely to be given more time this season, or going to stay in the doldrums behind Wiggy and De Kock?
Hopefully he'll get the time De-Kock isnt getting any younger and if I was coach I'd want Spencer bedded in by the end of the season ready for next.
Davestar

Post by Davestar »

geordie_6 wrote:
armchairfan wrote:

You'd have to think there's every chance that Wiggy could be third choice in that particular battle.
Cozzer

Post by Cozzer »

armchairfan wrote:

:thumbup:

Who would we get though?

Head coach for me isnt a worry, it's who is underneath that really seems to be the issue.
If we couldn't go for Schmidt I would be tempted to go for Eddie Jones. It would cost a pretty penny to buy him out from his Stormers contract but I still think he has loads to offer. Think what he did with Australia who (let's be honest) have by far the smallest pool of resources for a Tier 1 nation. Don't recall him picking people in daft/wrong positions. Admittedly he went through a phase of selecting league players like Sailor etc. but I suspect they were forced on him by his union (recurring theme here?). And one thing you can say of the 2003 Aussie team: they did not bottle it.
Last edited by Cozzer on Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Hawk97 wrote:

I just agree with all of that, really. If we had a Joe Schmidt, I think we'd challenge the ABs every time.
England are having real success at U20 level. It would be dreadful to see this go to waste.
Cozzer

Post by Cozzer »

Mick Mannock wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
England are having real success at U20 level. It would be dreadful to see this go to waste.
Absolutely. I remember a recent member of the England U20s squad, Tom Stephenson, causing all sorts of problems for Burgess last season when Saints played Bath. I imagine Tom is about as far from Lancaster's mind as I am :?
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Davestar wrote:Thacker makes Lee Mears look like a behemoth.
He's a cracking little player but far too small to play international rugby. What is he- 5'2"?
The Man Without Fear

Post by The Man Without Fear »

DragsterDriver wrote:
He's a cracking little player but far too small to play international rugby. What is he- 5'2"?
His official profile lists him as being 6' 2" and 18 stone.

Post by 4071 »

DragsterDriver wrote:
He's taller than that, but not a huge amount - he may be about 5'6. It's not his height that's the big issue (though he is pretty midgety), it's his build. He can pack as much muscle as he wants onto that frame and he'll still barely tip the scales at 14st.

A couple of seasons back I was expecting him to convert to centre in the long term, as he will never make it in the pack with that build. He's not even Neil Back size.
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

openclashXX wrote:I would rather a 7 who makes fewer tackles and hits fewer rucks whilst actually making some significant, game-changing impact on them than a guy who tops the tackle stats by impersonating a doormat for 80 minutes
you really have to stop listening to peoples conversations on the bus

you are reiterating them here as if you know what you are talking about, but you are actually getting very confused
geordie_6

Post by geordie_6 »

Davestar wrote:
geordie_6 wrote:
armchairfan wrote:

You'd have to think there's every chance that Wiggy could be third choice in that particular battle.
Not with Sarries I imagine, Wiggy is quite core to the way they play.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Spencer is the best box kicking 9 I've seen up close. Ideal.
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

My brother played golf with some Sarries players recently. Bit of a mancrush on Spencer, who is apparently a proper allrounder. The players were very positive about Fraser's training performances.
matta25

Post by matta25 »

SELondon

Post by SELondon »

bobbity wrote:My brother played golf with some Sarries players recently. Bit of a mancrush on Spencer, who is apparently a proper allrounder. The players were very positive about Fraser's training performances.
If Fraser didn't break down every time he turned around I think he might have made this WC squad.
crapbackrow

Post by crapbackrow »

wales seem to do alright without a genuine fetcher...
piquant

Post by piquant »

crapbackrow wrote:wales seem to do alright without a genuine fetcher...
If doing alright means losing rather a lot of games then yes, and they've Faletau and Jenkins which helps.
brero

Post by brero »

fisgard792 wrote:
openclashXX wrote:I would rather a 7 who makes fewer tackles and hits fewer rucks whilst actually making some significant, game-changing impact on them than a guy who tops the tackle stats by impersonating a doormat for 80 minutes
you really have to stop listening to peoples conversations on the bus

you are reiterating them here as if you know what you are talking about, but you are actually getting very confused
he thinks farrell "does the basics better" than ford. you have to wonder if he even watches the games.
Johnny Marrmight

Post by Johnny Marrmight »

Openclash's mind is being scrambled now he has finally found a lady friend
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Johnny Marrmight wrote:Openclash's mind is being scrambled now he has finally found a lady friend
You sure he's not been given the old heave-ho? He had mellowed for a while - now his frustrated wrath is raining down on poor Robbo.
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

For all those wanting Lancaster out, you do realise what will happen after that event?

Farrell will be caretaker coach for 6 Nations.
18 weeks away.

England will come roaring back, win it thus ensuring Farrell gets to be the new head coach.
Backwoodsman1

Post by Backwoodsman1 »

Glaston wrote:For all those wanting Lancaster out, you do realise what will happen after that event?

Farrell will be caretaker coach for 6 Nations.
18 weeks away.

England will come roaring back, win it thus ensuring Farrell gets to be the new head coach.
I would imagine that the consensus here, would be that Farrell being first out the door, was a non-negotiable.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Yes please, closely followed by his dad.
Petej

Post by Petej »

RodneyRegis wrote:
Johnny Marrmight wrote:Openclash's mind is being scrambled now he has finally found a lady friend
You sure he's not been given the old heave-ho? He had mellowed for a while - now his frustrated wrath is raining down on poor Robbo.
Only to deflect from Barritt, Wigglesworth, Goode and Petulant Farrell.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Glaston wrote:
Not much love for Farrell amongst the blazers.