**OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Johnny Marrmight

Re: **OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

Post by Johnny Marrmight »

England have a lot of exciting players. Sadly, Clifford and George didn't get very long on the pitch and Itoje , daly, hill, Slade, Manu, kev, Beaumont, Ewers are all either injured or excluded.

Itoje daly and george surely need an extended run against Italy.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

An England squad announcement im excited for.

Oh no :(
Leicester Mafia

Post by Leicester Mafia »

Wendigo7 wrote:An England squad announcement im excited for.

I've been here before, its all going to end in tears isn't it?
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Leicester Mafia wrote:

If this was Bomber's squad, you know he would start with the same 23 as for Scotland. Is Eddie different?
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

terryfinch wrote:
Leicester Mafia wrote:

If this was Bomber's squad, you know he would start with the same 23 as for Scotland. Is Eddie different?
He's polar opposite.
The Man Without Fear

Post by The Man Without Fear »

openclashXX wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:Kvesic brought back in to train this week
:lol:

You got a gif for Thursday when he's set back to Gloucester?

Encouraging though. I'd like to see him involved.
This one's better.

Johnny Marrmight

Chuckles1188 wrote:
bacon2 wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Johnny Marrmight wrote:Frustrating that an ill launchberry and a broken Lawes were played ahead of a fit Itoje. That must be very demoralising for the lad.

For me, only Billy, Mako and Nowellsy stood out. Everyone else was okish, except Ford and You gs who were crap. The latter slowed service to a crawl so England were running at a brick wall. Absolutely crap.

Also as I've been saying for years, the kicking from hand was aimless as usual. Totally pointless.
Why do you persist in talking about professional athletes as if they are 15 year old girls being spurned by their romantic object?
I'd say most 21 year old locks are heartbroken being a traveling backup for their contries team.... :roll: :?
Out of all Marrmong's gigantic arsenal of infuriating tendencies, there's no doubt in my mind that trying to get people to hate on the selectors by going "oh the poor wee mites, however must they feel?" is the worst.
Christ you're a fanny, I thought you were a northerner.

Itoje must be feeling low though, don't you think? You're a sensitive feminist and stuff so tell us!
Leicester Mafia

Post by Leicester Mafia »

The Man Without Fear wrote: This one's better.

I've already selected my gif for when Eddie disappoints me

Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

:lol: That's fantastic.
Johnny Marrmight

Guys isn't it great and an enourmous step forwRd that we actually know what the coaches do.

For the entirety of Lancaster's tenure we were trying to figure out if Faz was backs coach, attack coach, defence coach, attack and defence coach, attack and backs coach, defence and backs coach or attack, defence and backs coach.

It was only at the end we realised he was head coach and Lancaster was the press guy.

Also wtf did Catt do in his capacity as "skills coach"?

Now we have very clear roles. Massive improvement! :thumbup:
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Btw Welcome back JM :)
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

terryfinch wrote:
Leicester Mafia wrote:

I'd like to think he'll roll the dice a bit but he may well just want to win ugly and get the 6n out the way so he can start building.
Johnny Marrmight

Wendigo7 wrote:Btw Welcome back JM :)
Thank you bud. :thumbup:
plum-pudding

Post by plum-pudding »

Situation: 6/2 bench split employed and Brown limps off after 10 minutes.... who would you feel more comfortable with playing full back:

a. Watson
b. Nowell
c. Daly
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

plum-pudding wrote:Situation: 6/2 bench split employed and Brown limps off after 10 minutes.... who would you feel more comfortable with playing full back:

a. Watson
b. Nowell
c. Daly
Nowell
Johnny Marrmight

Wendigo7 wrote:
plum-pudding wrote:Situation: 6/2 bench split employed and Brown limps off after 10 minutes.... who would you feel more comfortable with playing full back:

a. Watson
b. Nowell
c. Daly
Nowell

Is he the first nowell to play for England?
Youngulus

Post by Youngulus »

Well, Watson plays 15 for his club, so no brainer really.
Johnny Marrmight

I like nowell. Would mind him as FB to allow a fit (and much faster) May back into the wing.
plum-pudding

Post by plum-pudding »

Wendigo7 wrote:

a. Watson
b. Nowell
c. Daly
Nowell
tricky one- head says Watson, because recent exposure to the position is pretty key.
Watson is neigh on Zebo levels of flakiness though (well, not quite)

It raises a fairly pertinent point though- if Brown becomes injured in the next 12 months, we have Goode..... and cupboard is pretty bare behind him... Pennell? Foden?
I hope Eddie at least prepares for some succession planning at some point, Nowell seems the obvious choice if they can coerce Exeter into giving him game time there (Short and Woodburns' form may help).
Does anyone think Daly can make a successful transition back to fb? - might he be better at the second time of asking (having been exposed to defensive duties at 13/passing game), little incentive for Wasps mind.

Having a fb with a bit of a passing game would be a welcome addition- someone who can hit the line at pace and beat defenders would be nice atm, Brown seems to have lost the knack right now- hope he rediscovers it soon.
Last edited by plum-pudding on Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Marrmight

Talking of which

Simpson
Faz
May
Slade
Daly/JJ
Watson
Nowell

:thumbup:
BurrowHill

Post by BurrowHill »

Madness wrote:
openclashXX wrote:the future

Itoje
Kvesic
Clifford

:nod:

Nope

The actual future

Clifford
Kvesic
Hughes
Nope

The actual future

Mike Williams
Underhill
Beaumont
Johnny Marrmight

BurrowHill wrote:
Madness wrote:
openclashXX wrote:the future

Itoje
Kvesic
Clifford

:nod:

Nope

The actual future

Clifford
Kvesic
Hughes
Nope

The actual future

Mike Williams
Underhill
Beaumont

I just hope everyone gets a fair shot and the cream rises.

Having people like the immovable tom wood stink up the place for 4 years is not acceptable.
BurrowHill

Post by BurrowHill »

So, I saw Beaumont being interviewed after the Tigers- Sale game and he actually didn't look that big at all for an 8.

Definitely not his billed 6'7 and looked quite lightweight really.
Johnny Marrmight

BurrowHill wrote:So, I saw Beaumont being interviewed after the Tigers- Sale game and he actually didn't look that big at all for an 8.

He is considerably bigger than his 6'3" dad

Edit:

Pic: http://www.englandrugby.com/news/bill-a ... rians-win/
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

I've seen him play enough for Ospreys now, and it's pretty clear that Underhill is a 6 in the mould of his mentor Richard Hill, not a classic 7

sorry to disappoint fellas
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Johnny Marrmight wrote:
BurrowHill wrote:So, I saw Beaumont being interviewed after the Tigers- Sale game and he actually didn't look that big at all for an 8.

Edit:

He looks like he was put together in a lab, in that 1st piccy. He's a fair old unit.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

plum-pudding wrote:It raises a fairly pertinent point though- if Brown becomes injured in the next 12 months, we have Goode..... and cupboard is pretty bare behind him... Pennell? Foden?
Delon Armitage is said to be returning to the Aviva Premiership. Some aren't keen on his on-pitch persona, but he was a classy test performer culled as part of Lancaster's nice guy drive. Covers both 15, both wings and potentially outside centre.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Rugby2023 wrote:
plum-pudding wrote:It raises a fairly pertinent point though- if Brown becomes injured in the next 12 months, we have Goode..... and cupboard is pretty bare behind him... Pennell? Foden?
Delon Armitage is said to be returning to the Aviva Premiership. Some aren't keen on his on-pitch persona, but he was a classy test performer culled as part of Lancaster's nice guy drive. Covers both 15, both wings and potentially outside centre.

Pennell's unlucky not to be in the squad, surely paying the price for his loyalty to Wuss (but respect to him for it!). In a better squad, he'd be scoring much more. Seems to be nearly as good as Brown in the air and much faster. There's a good clip of him boshing a hooker and fighting for yards as Brown does at the beginning of this tribute to him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2N137j8glY
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Rugby2023 wrote:

Pennell's unlucky not to be in the squad, surely paying the price for his loyalty to Wuss (but respect to him for it!) and Eddie's ignorance of him. In a better squad, he'd be scoring much more. Seems to be nearly as good as Brown in the air and much faster. There's a good clip of him boshing a hooker and fighting for yards as Brown does at the beginning of this tribute to him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2N137j8glY
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Pennell's not actually playing that well tbf. Certainly not in the kind of form he was in when Worcester went down.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Goode is most certainly next up at 15.
kagamusha

Post by kagamusha »

Rugby2023 wrote:
He is 32, the old man of the squad if he were to return.

With him and Faz in the side, we would have a pair of petulent girls in the backs.
Openside

Post by Openside »

ovalball wrote:
Johnny Marrmight wrote:

Edit:

He looks like he was put together in a lab, in that 1st piccy. He's a fair old unit.
Frankensteins??

He is the spit of his dad.
45jumper

Post by 45jumper »

Haley is going extremely well for Sale at the moment. Not saying he's ready for Test Rugby but worth keeping in consideration. He has a really low error count, great under the high ball and a surprising turn of pace. Would like to see him for the Saxons, or in the SA Tour at the end of the season :thumbup:
Speaking of which - has that actually been confirmed?
The Man Without Fear

Post by The Man Without Fear »

DragsterDriver wrote:Goode is most certainly next up at 15.
I wonder how much Jones really rates him, though. If ever there were a match to sub Mike Brown, the Scotland match was it, he was not carrying the way he normally does and took some poor decisions at times. I suspect Jones may still have trusted him more under the high ball and in the tackle.

I'm also thinking Watson is overrated.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

The Man Without Fear wrote:
I wonder how much Jones really rates him, though. If ever there were a match to sub Mike Brown, the Scotland match was it, he was not carrying the way he normally does and took some poor decisions at times. I suspect Jones may still have trusted him more under the high ball and in the tackle.

I've said it loads but Goode's only attribute for 15 is his boot. He is far more suited to 12 IMO if you want another kicking playmaker option although no-one else seems to see it so I'm probably talking bollocks.

I do reckon Sarries fecked it up with Farrell and Goode, Goode was the better 10/12 option to develop and Faz would be the better 15 (solid defence, quicker than he looks) albeit a traditional defensive 15 rather than a linebreaker 15.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Was there a reason why Nowell was wearing 11 but playing on the right and Watson was wearing 14 but playing on the left?

Totally insignificant but still strange. Was it a last minute swap?
armchairfan

Post by armchairfan »

blindcider wrote:

I've said it loads but Goode's only attribute for 15 is his boot. He is far more suited to 12 IMO if you want another kicking playmaker option although no-one else seems to see it so I'm probably talking bollocks.

I do reckon Sarries fecked it up with Farrell and Goode, Goode was the better 10/12 option to develop and Faz would be the better 15 (solid defence, quicker than he looks) albeit a traditional defensive 15 rather than a linebreaker 15.
I've often though Goode would be great at 12 good tactical brain and good boot. Also tends to make more try's than he scores. Always felt he didn't get a fair crack at Fly half, IIRC Glen Jackson was injured and Goode was the back up, played about 2 games and then was shunted for Farrell ( or did Goode get injured, memories slightly hazy on that one lol ).
Johnny Marrmight

I've seen Goode play fly half a couple of times and he wasn't that great. A 10 has much less time to react than most positions and he couldn't cope with the reduced amount of time in which to think about the decision he was making then accurately execute it.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Goode will do a 7/10 job, he's probably not as bad as his rep. He was a decent 10 but he was never bumping the coaches son out of the shirt. Not robust enough for a 12.

Watson is an electric runner but his kicking scares me and I probably still suspect his temperament under pressure if things go a bit tits up....totally unfounded but I feel he might crack.