**OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
eldanielfire

Re: **OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

Post by eldanielfire »

sockwithaticket wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:I don’t want to give blackmac a stroke but if england hadnt bottled it Scotland could have coughed up 100points. Good comeback but no mistake,England threw it away.

That's over-egging it, but it was looking like we could match the 2017 scoreline.

In the cold light of day I find not scoring for 50 minutes and 31 unanswered points beyond unacceptable. If players other than Youngs or Farrell had presided over the collaps Jones would bin them like he has Care. The post-match suggests he won't be doing so.
It's now been a long ongoing problem. I can't work out why England suddenly stop scoring by the 30 minute mark. In some ways this 6 Nations there have been positives, when England play well, they play better than any other side. At least there is a fantastic platform there to build on. The downer is the drop in scoring and intensity is almost inexplicable. There is almost no logic as to why it happens and keeps happening.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

It’s easy-

Under Aussie coaches we play good patterns with excellent dummy lines to open space. Once the game exits that structure our braindead halfbacks collapse.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

DragsterDriver wrote:I don’t want to give blackmac a stroke but if england hadnt bottled it Scotland could have coughed up 100points. Good comeback but no mistake,England threw it away.
:lol:
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

DragsterDriver wrote:It’s easy-

Under Aussie coaches we play good patterns with excellent dummy lines to open space. Once the game exits that structure our braindead halfbacks collapse.
:thumbup:
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

sockwithaticket wrote:

That's over-egging it, but it was looking like we could match the 2017 scoreline.

In the cold light of day I find not scoring for 50 minutes and 31 unanswered points beyond unacceptable. If players other than Youngs or Farrell had presided over the collaps Jones would bin them like he has Care. The post-match suggests he won't be doing so.
Too early to say imo, nobody will be hurting more than EJ who will go over the game with a fine tooth comb.
eldanielfire wrote:It's now been a long ongoing problem. I can't work out why England suddenly stop scoring by the 30 minute mark. In some ways this 6 Nations there have been positives, when England play well, they play better than any other side. At least there is a fantastic platform there to build on. The downer is the drop in scoring and intensity is almost inexplicable. There is almost no logic as to why it happens and keeps happening.
Need a Shaun Edwards/Andy Farrell style character to fire them up at HT.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

Rugby2023 wrote: Need a Shaun Edwards/Andy Farrell style character to fire them up at HT.
So did Ireland :uhoh:
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Dobbin wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote: Need a Shaun Edwards/Andy Farrell style character to fire them up at HT.
:lol: :thumbup:
sockwithaticket

Post by sockwithaticket »

Rugby2023 wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:

Too early to say imo, nobody will be hurting more than EJ who will go over the game with a fine tooth comb.
eldanielfire wrote:It's now been a long ongoing problem. I can't work out why England suddenly stop scoring by the 30 minute mark. In some ways this 6 Nations there have been positives, when England play well, they play better than any other side. At least there is a fantastic platform there to build on. The downer is the drop in scoring and intensity is almost inexplicable. There is almost no logic as to why it happens and keeps happening.

Given our recent record against Wales I'm not sure we need to be looking at Edwards for answers on how to do things.
sockwithaticket

eldanielfire wrote:
elfieldinho wrote:
Spoiler: show
It seems to me that we have two competing narratives that are utterly incompatible.

Farrell is a great leader of men and the unquestioned heartbeat of this England side. So even though he doesn't offer a running threat and doesn't have much creativity or subtlety to his game, we pick him because we benefit so much from his warrior qualities and nous. His character makes us strong and his icy calm and game intelligence make us formidable.

England shit the bed from positions of dominance like no-one else. We panic, make terrible decisions and kick away good ball even when our pack are on top. We look flustered, let one error lead to another and are notably mentally fragile for all of our physical power. We seem utterly unable to think about trucking it up and tightening the game again when things get loose, show absolutely no ability to adjust to changing events and are utterly rudderless as soon as any pressure comes on.

This pack, which has carried Billy again by the way, deserves so much better than the panicking chicken impression it gets from Youngs and Farrell as soon as something goes wrong. I just don't buy so much of the shite talked about leadership and culture around this side. Yes you can have inspirational qualities in meetings, but if you keep fudging things up on the field- and this happened way too often to be a coincidence - you are not leading.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think if Eddie doesn't believe in Ford, he is going to have to turn to Cipriani. If I'm playing in that England pack, I'd rather have a preening narcissist with a selfish attitude and a degree of cowardice in the tackle playing Ten - if that's even who Cipriani is any more- if I knew he'd move the ball intelligently, kick intelligently and offer the control needed to make the most out of me and my mates winning collisions all day.

Farrell clearly, clearly cannot think and respond under pressure at 10. We keep playing him there and then looking for other reasons why things go wrong. Balls to psychology- just stop giving the ball to the other team! The press and Eddie have anointed Owen as Wilko 2. He's not even Rob Andrew 2. We would be a very serious threat to win any game with Rob Andrew playing 10. How many points up would you need us to be in a World Cup semi to feel safe with Captain Fantastic and Youngs running the show? 40? After an hour?

Youngs is absolutely the dimmest international 9 playing right now and he will continue to offer literally sod all in terms of problem solving intelligence. Short of demanding that he finish a four piece jigsaw before he's allowed to play though, it looks like we're stuck with him too. His 10 needs to be telling him what to do because there is no way he is figuring it out himself.

One thing that troubles me about this England set-up is the deference that the pack seem to show the halves. Surely at some point a Johnno or Dayglo would have grabbed hold of Batman and Robin and demanded that they stop fudging it up and get some control. Our pack have to accept that Super Owen has the answers though...

Enough.
Fantastic post :thumbup:

On that last, point, there is a reason why I prefer forwards as captains rather than backs.

The answers to Scotland yesterday should have come before their 3rd try, the game has changed, slow it down, kick for territory, not onto grass for counter attacks. Talk to the team and emphasise defence as a priority for a while rather than trying to attack constantly, they when Scotland have lost rhythm attack again in the last 20. Instead England kept thing they must play at 100% speed against the only side in the world whose game plan is to play at 100% speed.

I'd say almost the opposite, the focus needs to remain on attacking because too often we spend large portions of the game relying on our defence, but just simplify the shit out what we're doing: carry through the forwards and play keep ball for a while. Take all the tempo out of the game and frustrate the opposition through lack of possession. If they feel like they're starting to get on a roll, but now can't get their hands on the ball, they'll make mistakes or be over eager in trying to do so.

At least, that's how it plays in my head.
pjm1

Post by pjm1 »

Wow. Eddie wasn't wrong when he said this was a game we needed at this time rather than in the WC.

First point - all non-England supporters need to fuck right off from this thread and refrain from posting for a day or two. We're sore, we're going to be stroppy as fudge and this is our sandbox for getting it all out. Your input, no matter how well meaning is really not wanted.

Forwards - bloody impressive pretty much to a man, except for Billy. George and Wilson were slightly quieter for me than the rest, but still good. The rest from 1-7 were truly excellent.

Fitness - serious f**king issue here. I know Sink was absolutely smashing his pan in during that first half, but it's a bit of a concern that he completely ran out of puff in 50. I think there are wider fitness issues across the team which says to me we're doing something wrong. Not sure what it is though.

Back 3 - complete curate's egg. We get some sublime attacking nous from each of Daly and Nowell and then utter shite when it comes to defence. Really surprised by that from Nowell but it's what we know from Daly. I do think he managed to catch a high ball though, which was a nice surprise.

Centres - I'm really liking Slade at 13 but it's clear that Manu is not as effective at 12. I can see the logic of trying to get him up to speed at one of our weakest positions (in terms of options), but it doesn't seem to be working. Not sure if we now have the time to make it work in the few games remaining before the WC.

Half backs - f**king clueless. Youngs is just a thick individual (sorry Ben) and there is jack shit we will ever be able to do about that. If we choose to play him then we have to have systems and procedures in place to deal with his inevitable brainfarts and lack of any sort of intelligence. Farrell doesn't appear to be as subhumanly thick, but I'm starting to wonder. It might be something which can be coached/psyched out of him, but it might not. And I'm struggling to see how it can be fixed in time for the WC.

Captain - We need one and it needs to be someone reasonably intelligent, who is not going to piss off the ref and the rest of the players can look up to... and be a guaranteed starter. So on that basis it can only be one of Curry, George or Kruis. All the backs fail at least one of the tests listed - and they're backs.

Coaching - fair play to Wisemantel... he's brought our attack on leaps and bounds. Some truly exceptional play in that first 30 which, were it not for the next 50, would have had the ABs shitting themselves. As it is, they'll be laughing instead - like the rest of the world.

Scotland were pretty bollocks in that first 30, but, honestly, I was expecting that kind of performance so I don't think they did anything other than what was pretty predictable... they were not far off a scratch team given their injuries. Their comeback was impressive and wouldn't have happened had they not grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck. But we shouldn't have let them anywhere near that. Complete unacceptable.

It seems we're playing like flat track bullies. Sure, we can absolutely destroy the school wimps at home - France and Italy. But if we come up against someone with a bit of backbone, we back right down and take a beating. Scotland and Wales turnarounds were as much down to our pathetic lack of spine as they were down to the other team stepping up. Ireland has proven to be the only game where we actually delivered a decent performance over the whole game - and we've seen how shambolic their own game has been this 6N. So I don't think we can bask in too much glory over that game, in spite of how impressive it felt at the time.

It really is a shit show. WTF is Mitchell there for... he's taken what was a decent defensive approach and got players slipping off tackles, missing 20% or something. Completely unacceptable.

And Eddie is ultimately accountable for all that.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

PJM1 - Spot on, on all the analysis.

As for your first comment. too f**king right.

We were 31-0 up against a 3rd string Scotland team at home after 30 mins. That's effectively converting roughly points to goals., plus how the game felt... 5-0.

To then lose the next 50 mins at home to a 3rd string scotland, effectively finish the game 5-5 or 6-6 and only equalising to salvage anything, any fucker who wants to give Scotland credit in this thread can fudge off. You don't piss away a 5-0 lead, or a 31 pt lead at home, to a team who many barely probably play for their regions and say, it's a game of 2 halves, or scotland did well. Yes, they exploited extreme amounts of space, but anything less than a 40 or 50 pt win was acceptable.

To see what happened in the next 50 minutes was disgusting, bordering on unprofessional. We're the PSG of international rugby and it f**king stinks.
pjm1

Post by pjm1 »

Wendigo7 wrote:PJM1 - Spot on, on all the analysis.

As for your first comment. too f**king right.

We were 31-0 up against a 3rd string Scotland team at home after 30 mins. That's effectively converting roughly points to goals., plus how the game felt... 5-0.

To then lose the next 50 mins at home to a 3rd string scotland, effectively finish the game 5-5 or 6-6 and only equalising to salvage anything, any fucker who wants to give Scotland credit in this thread can fudge off. You don't piss away a 5-0 lead, or a 31 pt lead at home, to a team who many barely probably play for their regions and say, it's a game of 2 halves, or scotland did well. Yes, they exploited extreme amounts of space, but anything less than a 40 or 50 pt win was acceptable.

To see what happened in the next 50 minutes was disgusting, bordering on unprofessional. We're the PSG of international rugby and it f**king stinks.
:thumbup:
croyals

Post by croyals »

The real frustration for me is at various points in the 6N we've shown flashes of absolute brilliance, passages of sublime play and fearsome defence. On the other end we've also done what we did yesterday. So there's various elements here - no need to push the panic button but some pretty severe words inside the camp and some more leadership is badly needed. We have a team who can win a world cup, but we also have a team that could fall at the pools again.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

sockwithaticket

croyals wrote:The real frustration for me is at various points in the 6N we've shown flashes of absolute brilliance, passages of sublime play and fearsome defence. On the other end we've also done what we did yesterday. So there's various elements here - no need to push the panic button but some pretty severe words inside the camp and some more leadership is badly needed. We have a team who can win a world cup, but we also have a team that could fall at the pools again.
I'd say there absolutely is, this is a recurrent theme, has been for a while and it'd be nice to see some sense of urgency about fixing it rather than empty soundbites from the management.

I don't believe fore a second that this team can win the World Cup unless somewhow we end up able to play Australia in each knock out phase.
croyals

Post by croyals »

Anyone watching the cup final? Good opening try from Northampton
Oxbow

Post by Oxbow »

Yes, there's a thread somewhere. Great start, and Luther has gone off injured, so that's a bonus.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Squeeze wrote:
Oxbow wrote:Yes, there's a thread somewhere. Great start, and Luther has gone off injured, so that's a bonus.

Sprained a hoof? Thrown a shoe?

Anything serious looking?
His head got whacked when he was being tackled.

Naiyorovoro is a big, fast, lazy, fat fucker
englishgreat

Post by englishgreat »

sockwithaticket wrote:
croyals wrote:The real frustration for me is at various points in the 6N we've shown flashes of absolute brilliance, passages of sublime play and fearsome defence. On the other end we've also done what we did yesterday. So there's various elements here - no need to push the panic button but some pretty severe words inside the camp and some more leadership is badly needed. We have a team who can win a world cup, but we also have a team that could fall at the pools again.
I'd say there absolutely is, this is a recurrent theme, has been for a while and it'd be nice to see some sense of urgency about fixing it rather than empty soundbites from the management.

I don't believe fore a second that this team can win the World Cup unless somewhow we end up able to play Australia in each knock out phase.
This has become a major issue. Lost count of the number of times we’ve got off to a blistering start, only to switch off and let the opposition back in. Mentally weak, and still not physically fit enough. Like the Twickenham atmosphere post half time, everything just goes flat, we drop off tackles and allow the opposition back in.

Gatland/Edwards can’t come soon enough for me.
croyals

Post by croyals »

englishgreat wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:

This has become a major issue. Lost count of the number of times we’ve got off to a blistering start, only to switch off and let the opposition back in. Mentally weak, and still not physically fit enough. Like the Twickenham atmosphere post half time, everything just goes flat, we drop off tackles and allow the opposition back in.

Yep pretty much. Yesterday reminded me of the Wales game in 2016 (I think?) when we smashed them for 70 minutes but would have lost if there had been another 5 minutes to play. Not good enough.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Saint wrote:
Squeeze wrote:
Oxbow wrote:Yes, there's a thread somewhere. Great start, and Luther has gone off injured, so that's a bonus.

Sprained a hoof? Thrown a shoe?

Anything serious looking?
His head got whacked when he was being tackled.

Naiyorovoro is a big, fast, lazy, fat fucker
He was out cold!!
And yes he is. Just wish he’d go looking for work
englishgreat

Post by englishgreat »

croyals wrote:
englishgreat wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:

Yep pretty much. Yesterday reminded me of the Wales game in 2016 (I think?) when we smashed them for 70 minutes but would have lost if there had been another 5 minutes to play. Not good enough.
Not to mention South Africa in the summer, New Zealand at home (16-0 up after 25 then didn’t score again), Wales second half, France second half....

SO frustrating. We just invited Scotland back into it by forcing the passes and offloads, thinking we’d done enough and it was time for Barbarian rugby. Arrogance? Complacency?
elfieldinho

Post by elfieldinho »

I wouldn't mind so much if Scotland had thrived in the kind of game that doesn't suit them in the second half. Doing what makes sense before the game and failing to react to circumstances isn't ideal, but it happens.
Yesterday was madness though. How any England player, much less the 9 and 10 could have been confused about what kind of game Scotland want to play is beyond me. They want chaos both because they thrive in it and because they will be ground down in a tight wrestle. Why on earth then, having gifted them two or three soft tries, would we play the way we did?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Rugby2023 wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:

Isn't that what Mitchell is?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Dobbin wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oxbow

Post by Oxbow »

Piers Francis is playing well at the moment. I am prepared for the mocking laughter, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Ford Francis Manu midfield axis given a go for England.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Well done James Grayson for handling that daft 'question' from the interviewer. The guy got served. 8)
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Oxbow wrote:Piers Francis is playing well at the moment. I am prepared for the mocking laughter, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Ford Francis Manu midfield axis given a go for England.
It's probably a little late with it being a RWC year. I suspect Eddie will what to ensure Manu, Te'o and Slade are as gelled together as possible.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I wonder if the micks are ready to sto crowing about stealing the cream of our coaches yet?
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

DragsterDriver wrote:I wonder if the micks are ready to sto crowing about stealing the cream of our coaches yet?
No, Lancaster rocks ... and you lost him ... :thumbup:
Double

Post by Double »

Squeeze wrote:Northampton beat Saracens 2nd XV at home.
Yeah but Saracen's 2nd XV cost twice as much as everyone else's 1st, so that's kind of a moot point.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Squeeze wrote:
fatcat wrote:Well done James Grayson for handling that daft 'question' from the interviewer. The guy got served. 8)

What was said?
The interviewer said something like 'lots of fluid play' held the mic over to Grayson and Grayson just looked at him and said 'what's the question' and then he and Waller laughed at the bloke. The interviewer seemed embarrassed by it.
Madness

Post by Madness »

Squeeze wrote:
fatcat wrote:
Squeeze wrote:
fatcat wrote:Well done James Grayson for handling that daft 'question' from the interviewer. The guy got served. 8)

What was said?
The interviewer said something like 'lots of fluid play' held the mic over to Grayson and Grayson just looked at him and said 'what's the question' and then he and Waller laughed at the bloke. The interviewer seemed embarrassed by it.
That was Tim Cocker who's the guy that started The Eggchaser podcast.

Looked like Tim Cocker started asking a question, realised Waller was starting to speak, paused, Grayson looked confused and asked what was the question, started laughing
Double

Post by Double »

Squeeze wrote:
Double wrote:
Yeah but Saracen's 2nd XV cost twice as much as everyone else's 1st, so that's kind of a moot point.
Which ones cost the most you reckon?

Gallagher; Crossdale, Bosch, Morris, Segun; Malins, Whiteley; Barrington, Tolofua, Judge, Kpoku, Day, Clark (capt), Reffell, Earl
I didn't say they were worth it. They did just lose to the 7th placed team, after all. But if Saracens are going to flout the cap the way they do, they ought to win every game, even if they only field 5 international players instead of 15.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

What was Toga originally banned for again?

Can we either let him back or zap these accounts quicker. Getting acquainted with a new one each week is getting boring.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

sockwithaticket

Squeeze wrote:
Double wrote:
Which ones cost the most you reckon?

Gallagher; Crossdale, Bosch, Morris, Segun; Malins, Whiteley; Barrington, Tolofua, Judge, Kpoku, Day, Clark (capt), Reffell, Earl
Bosch would comfortably be the priciest. Then it's probably be Clark, Tolofua, Barrington followed by anyone you care to name.
pjm1

Post by pjm1 »

Squeeze wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:What was Toga originally banned for again?

Giving a picture of conjoined twins the comment "4/20 wnb" (yes seriously)
Well extra credit for it being divisible by 2 I guess.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Squeeze wrote:
fatcat wrote:
Squeeze wrote:

What was said?
That was Tim Cocker who's the guy that started The Eggchaser podcast.
Makes sense, they're morons
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

When is Hartley due back? Current England team desperately need his presence on the pitch IMO