**OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
DragsterDriver

Re: **OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

Post by DragsterDriver »

fatcat wrote:Seems I'm in a minority of one in thinking that the main reason we won that was because the ABs were atrocious. Lots to improve on.
We came out the gate and shut them down, squeezed them and they didn’t get a squeak at the set piece. They expected to beat the rush, kick touch and pick off our line out. All said it’s not a vintage all black side regardless.
Double

Post by Double »

fatcat wrote:Seems I'm in a minority of one in thinking that the main reason we won that was because the ABs were atrocious. Lots to improve on.
Nah, the England pack made then look that way. You could see once or twice they took the pressure off and NZ started looking fluent.
Double

Post by Double »

England will hold the no. 1 ranking on Monday.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Well done, lads. :thumbup:
sockwithaticket

Post by sockwithaticket »

As they're replaying some of Underhill's massive hits, he tackles like the opposition threatened his family.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

They were atrocious because we bullied them. Everyone looks bad when you're getting killed in contact.
ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

Yes, I agree, you are right. You are in a minority of 1
Double

Post by Double »

sockwithaticket wrote:As they're replaying some of Underhill's massive hits, he tackles like the opposition threatened his family.
Underhill is the orciest white orc. Imagine if Wales had managed to poach him :x
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

19 turnovers...

I've never seen an England backrow (plus locks) play like this, I don't think.
sockwithaticket

Double wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:As they're replaying some of Underhill's massive hits, he tackles like the opposition threatened his family.
Underhill is the orciest white orc. Imagine if Wales had managed to poach him :x
Exactly, just wouldn't look right in the Welsh jersey. He's clearly English.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Double wrote:
Given that he'd have been lost to England had it not be for our generous intervention, I believe some form a reparation is in order.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

He's like a missile
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Double wrote:
Given that he'd have been lost to England had it not be for our generous intervention, I believe some form a reparation is in order.
Moriarty and Francis not enough?
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Double wrote:
We're developing Mat Protheroe for you.
tc27

Post by tc27 »

fudge off Taffcat.

We made them look shit.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

If it's Wales, I'm not going to be able to get through the week.
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

a moment to appreciate George Ford - took over kicking duties after the Farrell injury, scored 12 points, controlled things from 10

yet some will still say we should have picked Cipriani
Backwoodsman1

Post by Backwoodsman1 »

Most dominant performance by an England pack in many years , absolutely heart warming stuff ! That isn't a bad AB team, they just were not allowed to compete .
Double

Post by Double »

Hawk97 wrote:If it's Wales, I'm not going to be able to get through the week.
If it's Wales I'm leaving this place for a week. If Wales win the final I'm leaving for the rest of the year.
sockwithaticket

openclashXX wrote:a moment to appreciate George Ford - took over kicking duties after the Farrell injury, scored 12 points, controlled things from 10

He'll newver be fully appreciated by some, but I hope this performance reduces the number of calls for anyone but him to be our 10.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

openclashXX wrote:a moment to appreciate George Ford - took over kicking duties after the Farrell injury, scored 12 points, controlled things from 10

He was brilliant. Great defence too.
ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

Can we also have some love for:
George: - only 2 lineouts lost one of which was down to the jumpers, great around the park
Props: scrum rock solid against a much bigger pack (and with marginally underpowered 2nd row), great carrying and tackling
Ford 'n Farrell - what GREAT distribution, variety of play and with that, GREAT defense

And finally, Daly, what weakness? Constant threat with the ball, lovely clearing kicks when required and competed for high balls such that we won them back regularly
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

I don't follow threads while the game is on so... what did everyone think of Youngs?
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Let's just hope we can recharge and go again next week.
Womack

Post by Womack »

I want to see a replay of Jamie George's maul clear out on Whitelock (and I'm glad Nige didn't feel the need to during the game) :lol:

Also

I'm in love with Tom Curry
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

fatcat wrote:I don't follow threads while the game is on so... what did everyone think of Youngs?
Played like he does at his best, which doesn't include cutting out the shitty passing
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

fatcat wrote:I don't follow threads while the game is on so... what did everyone think of Youngs?
Brilliant first twenty then fell away badly
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

Thought he looked good, generally kicked well, was unlucky to be denied a try. All in all pretty good. The odd poor pass granted.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Ford stripping the ball off Laulala was a huge moment for me. I'm going to be rewatching this one a lot though because it was scintillating. England were far from error free but defensively were just massive. 19 turnovers. That's where we won the game
ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

There was plenty of praise for the selection of Scott Barrett from Kiwis on the match thread, not enough concern for the downside - I rather think that our back row was widely underestimated before this tournament.
Double

Post by Double »

The usual shite. Checking his forward runners off most rucks, taking long pauses and then torpedoing the ball into someone's chest. His kicking was also a bit off all night, a lot of his kicks gave Reece enough time to beat the first tackler. Took his non-try well, but most of the work there was do e in that fantastic maul.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

Double wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:If it's Wales, I'm not going to be able to get through the week.
If it's Wales I'm leaving this place for a week. If Wales win the final I'm leaving for the rest of the year.
I'll leave Earth for 4 years.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

Womack wrote:I want to see a replay of Jamie George's maul clear out on Whitelock (and I'm glad Nige didn't feel the need to during the game) :lol:

Also

I thought I lived him in the 6N, now I know that I'm infatuated.
Woddy

Post by Woddy »

We should have, as back-up to Ford.
Joost

Post by Joost »

Hawk97 wrote:
Womack wrote:I want to see a replay of Jamie George's maul clear out on Whitelock (and I'm glad Nige didn't feel the need to during the game) :lol:

Also

I thought I lived him in the 6N, now I know that I'm infatuated.
Picking him and Underhill together has been a revelation!

Curry’s tight carrying game is very good for someone his size and he’s been handy in the lineout too - two things I didn’t really think he was capable of before the RWC. Still only 21 as well :uhoh:
Last edited by Joost on Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Womack

Post by Womack »

Yep his all round contribution was incredible. His speed to the breakdown is absolutely fantastic. Great player.
sockwithaticket

Double wrote:
The usual shite. Checking his forward runners off most rucks, taking long pauses and then torpedoing the ball into someone's chest. His kicking was also a bit off all night, a lot of his kicks gave Reece enough time to beat the first tackler. Took his non-try well, but most of the work there was do e in that fantastic maul.
He was sufficiently poor that posters of other nationalities were consistently commenting that he was holding us back/we'd be better without him.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

I was praying for Heinz to come one, and that was in the first half.

Itoje was bloody immense.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

One day advantage in terms of healing etc :thumbup:
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

Double wrote:
No disagree, he put in lots of good work today.