**OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
JM2K6

Re: **OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

Post by JM2K6 »

I thoroughly enjoyed New Zealand having a clear tactic of attacking our wings and getting smashed into touch or turned over every time
tc27

Post by tc27 »

Sports a funny old thing isn't it...bundled out of our own RWC 4 years ago in disgrace to reaching the final knocking off the ABs this time playing the best rugby since 2002.

Gonna take a while for this win to sink in but the squads got to get the turnaround right for next weekend
Joost

Post by Joost »

JM2K6 wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed New Zealand having a clear tactic of attacking our wings and getting smashed into touch or turned over every time
How good were Manu’s defensive reads as well; rushed out of the line a few times and either put in a big, momentum-destroying hit or got an intercept.

The fact that we’d likely have kept the ABs scoreless but for a defensive lineout mess-up is the most remarkable thing about this game tbh - it will be a massive challenge to replicate that defensive performance next weekend!
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Joost wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed New Zealand having a clear tactic of attacking our wings and getting smashed into touch or turned over every time
How good were Manu’s defensive reads as well; rushed out of the line a few times and either put in a big, momentum-destroying hit or got an intercept.

The fact that we’d likely have kept the ABs scoreless but for a defensive lineout mess-up is the most remarkable thing about this game tbh - it will be a massive challenge to replicate that defensive performance next weekend!
Yep, he did a great job. England clearly didn't care about doglegs, they trusted the inside man and decided to put huge pressure on the potential receivers instead. Worked brilliantly.
croyals

Post by croyals »

OK, so as you boys know I have never been George Ford’s greatest fan. But oh my sweet jesus how good was he today
croyals

Post by croyals »

JM2K6 wrote:
Joost wrote:

Yep, he did a great job. England clearly didn't care about doglegs, they trusted the inside man and decided to put huge pressure on the potential receivers instead. Worked brilliantly.
Clearly we deliberately created doglegs, we backed the ABs not to be ae to get beyond them
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Joost wrote:

His tackles of players who got behind were incredible as well. I think it's been his best defensive performance.
croyals

Post by croyals »

eldanielfire wrote:
Joost wrote:

His tackles of players who got behind were incredible as well. I think it's been his best defensive performance.
He was superb. fudge me from 1-15, bar Youngs, we outplayed our opposite numbers
Keith

Post by Keith »

John Mitchell has done an outstanding job. He came in with a coaching team looking lost, Gustard leaving for Quims FFS!

Over the last 12 months, he's made our defence fearsome, and clearly the players have bought into his system wholeheartedly. He must be incredibly proud of his lads today, especially given how he was treated by NZ fans and media alike.
Keith

Post by Keith »

And give the Youngs bashing a rest. He's the heartbeat of this side - we've always looked lost without him there - especially when he was out injured in the 2018 6N and we were left lumbered with Danny bloody Care
sockwithaticket

Post by sockwithaticket »

We can't not talk about it, though. When everyone else was so good it makes his negatives even more stark. His crapness drew a lot of comment from other nations' posters during the game while they were very complimentary about every other aspect of England's game.

The lack of alternatives is a problem of Eddie's making with neither Robson or Spencer given enough of a shake and Heinz not really being looked at until the warm ups.

Willis out of the Glaws game with a significant gash to the leg apparently.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

Watching the game back Youngs had a reasonable game. One iffy pass, one poorish kick and thats about it. Should have had a try. Other than that his passing and decision making was fine.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

ChipSpike wrote:Watching the game back Youngs had a reasonable game. One iffy pass, one poorish kick and thats about it. Should have had a try. Other than that his passing and decision making was fine.
Several iffy passes and threw the timing off several runs because he took so long
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

We won a World Cup with Matt Dawson and Kyran Bracken at scrum half. Our handling was so great today that few of Youngs' shonky passes mattered, but he took his box kicks intelligently, played intelligently at the maul, kept the pace up and showed good awareness to score the try, chalked off though it was (no real complaints about that, on another day it gets given and sometimes that happens in rugby). It's true that to win a World Cup you need exceptional, world class players but you don't need every player to be that good. When our pack are playing as brilliantly as ours are right now and you have a double playmaker setup in the backs, Youngs does a job for us. It's a potential area of improvement for the future, which is good.

I'm in a weird mental state about this, half of me is flabbergasted that we have put in a performance of that quality and part of me was expecting it. Hugely nervous but again at least semi confident about the final, regardless of who we play.

But if it's Wales I would become a hollow shell of a man
sockwithaticket

Weird seeing Simpson and Cips lining up for Glaws against Wasps.

Welcome back, Chuckles.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Just popping in to say serious, serious performance today lads, absolutely superb :thumbup:
Kleenex will be doing a roaring trade this weekend with the amount of wanking you’s lads will get up to :lol:
piquant

Post by piquant »

A sad day (in part) for Wayne Barnes. Missed out on the other semi-final to Garces, and now the best he can hope for is a game on Friday that nobody wants.
ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

Chuckles1188 wrote:We won a World Cup with Matt Dawson and Kyran Bracken at scrum half. Our handling was so great today that few of Youngs' shonky passes mattered, but he took his box kicks intelligently, played intelligently at the maul, kept the pace up and showed good awareness to score the try, chalked off though it was (no real complaints about that, on another day it gets given and sometimes that happens in rugby). It's true that to win a World Cup you need exceptional, world class players but you don't need every player to be that good. When our pack are playing as brilliantly as ours are right now and you have a double playmaker setup in the backs, Youngs does a job for us. It's a potential area of improvement for the future, which is good.

I'm in a weird mental state about this, half of me is flabbergasted that we have put in a performance of that quality and part of me was expecting it. Hugely nervous but again at least semi confident about the final, regardless of who we play.

But if it's Wales I would become a hollow shell of a man
WB Chuckles!
Lord Denning

Post by Lord Denning »

How are the Welsh doing for scrum and lineout?

I've watched their games and seem to recall the lineout being rock solid. Can't remember whether they've been under any pressure in the scrum though. The French played about half an hour without a lock.

I'm just wondering if we might have a slight upper hand at set pieces if Wales knock over SA tomorrow.

(I take for granted that the SA scrum will be immovable and their lineouts will just be a case of some giant reaching up and plucking the ball from outer space.)
sockwithaticket

Jim Lahey wrote:Just popping in to say serious, serious performance today lads, absolutely superb :thumbup:
Kleenex will be doing a roaring trade this weekend with the amount of wanking you’s lads will get up to :lol:
:thumbup:
sockwithaticket

How the fudge does Jim Hamilton get comms gigs?

Also he keeps calling Nizaam Carr Nasim for some reason and no one's picking him up on it.
Mahoney

Post by Mahoney »

Wendigo7 wrote:Image
Farrell’s about to break into Stayin’ Alive, isn’t he?
Madness

Post by Madness »

Mahoney wrote:
Someone better than me needs to add some Village People garb to the photo!
Lord Denning

Post by Lord Denning »

Madness wrote:
Mahoney wrote:
Someone better than me needs to add some Village People garb to the photo!
Underhill looks like the local psycho about to rush the mob.
sockwithaticket

Simpson just slid about 10 metres to score. It is properly wet at Kingsholme and Glaws are playing them far better than Wasps.

Robson's limping which probably means we'll soon have our 20 year old 4th choice scrum half directing things :|
FullbackAce

Post by FullbackAce »

What's Jonny May's heritage? The dude has a the most Georgian face I've seen on a foreigner and it's freaking me out.
yiman

Post by yiman »

On the speculative punt that we get the first all NH final I plan to attend the game if Stub hub confirm and deliver the potentially dodgy tickets and the no transfer clause is not enforced by world rugby at the stadium.
Any of u punters used a broker and gained access without a problem?
Cullen

Post by Cullen »

Well done guys

Good luck for the final
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

FullbackAce wrote:What's Jonny May's heritage? The dude has a the most Georgian face I've seen on a foreigner and it's freaking me out.
His family tree is quite probably a stick.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

It's a sad indictment of the old game when it's this wet at Kingsholm and the pitch is green rather than brown.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Jonny May seemed unfit today, from the start. Normally he’d have scored but got chased down. Fiji Joe or Nowell in next week?
ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

terryfinch wrote:Jonny May seemed unfit today, from the start. Normally he’d have scored but got chased down. Fiji Joe or Nowell in next week?
Not Joe please

I'd think May has at least as good a chance of being fit for next week as Nowell does
FullbackAce

Post by FullbackAce »

JM2K6 wrote:
FullbackAce wrote:What's Jonny May's heritage? The dude has a the most Georgian face I've seen on a foreigner and it's freaking me out.
His family tree is quite probably a stick.
:lol:

It's just weird how some brits look eerily similar to Georgians, who also have a bit of distinctive look. I always chucked it up to Georgians who ran away to UK/France during WWI and communist repressions but there's too many for it to be that. Something weird is going on.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

:thumbup: Sock, MitB

@Lord Denning, Wales' attacking lineout is dogmuck as it basically always has been but defensively it's not bad. Their scrum looks rubbish to me but I can't claim to be an expert on it.

In pure rugby terms the obvious team you'd want England to face in the final is Wales, but the emotional charge they'd bring to that game will be ridiculous and if a team can live with us physically (even if it's through sheer adrenaline) then we've got problems, so call it about evens in terms of which team we'd be better suited to play.

I will say that Erasmus' SA are impressive but not quite fearsome. Wales, arguably the other way around
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

terryfinch wrote:Jonny May seemed unfit today, from the start. Normally he’d have scored but got chased down. Fiji Joe or Nowell in next week?
I'd have no problem with English Joe getting in the side but it would be gutting for May so I hope he makes it.
sockwithaticket

Cullen wrote:Well done guys

Good luck for the final
:thumbup:
sockwithaticket

Chuckles1188 wrote::thumbup: Sock, MitB

@Lord Denning, Wales' attacking lineout is dogmuck as it basically always has been but defensively it's not bad. Their scrum looks rubbish to me but I can't claim to be an expert on it.

In pure rugby terms the obvious team you'd want England to face in the final is Wales, but the emotional charge they'd bring to that game will be ridiculous and if a team can live with us physically (even if it's through sheer adrenaline) then we've got problems, so call it about evens in terms of which team we'd be better suited to play.

I will say that Erasmus' SA are impressive but not quite fearsome. Wales, arguably the other way around
Wales seem to have this uncanny ability to generally keep a game tight on the scoreboard however it's going elsewhere. It feels like they're always within punching distance and have the ability to keep calm when they need a single score.
geordie_6

Post by geordie_6 »

That fend from Thorley on Fekitoa was excellent 😂
Lord Denning

Post by Lord Denning »

Chuckles1188 wrote::thumbup: Sock, MitB

Thanks. I think you're right about the nothing-much-between-them as opponents. A six and two threes.

Irrespective of the winner, though, a NH final would be a good thing, IMO.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

One of the big gains for me has been in our discipline, the momentum we have lost at times with ridiculous penalties was completely absent.