**OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
bimboman

Re: **OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

Post by bimboman »

mr flaps wrote:
bimboman wrote:
mr flaps wrote:
tc27 wrote:Can I say here that Garces was awful.

Nah. Jm will get upset.

It also doesn’t matter, the forwards had to adapt to it. Mako should have early engaged from the first penalty to give free kicks not penalties. They should have stood off the rucks SA were laying all over , anything to move the refs narrative and keep the game stuck on scrums and faster on Rucks.

Garces biggest error was the open play maul penalty on Cole. Terrible decision.

He back tracked from the collapsing the maul call and pulled an offside out of his arse. He knew he’d f**ked it.

Agreed on that decision , however everything else was England’s issues.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

mr flaps wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
mr flaps wrote:
Nah. Jm will get upset.
You're having a shocker dude, go walk it off

I’m good thanks.
Listen, if you were being honest with yourself you'd admit you're a bit too keen to blame refs for losses. It's kind of your thing on this board. But there's really no point trying to start a shitfight with me outside of that single disagreement over scrums, it only makes you look bad and pisses everyone else off if it continues.
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

pjm1 wrote:
mr flaps wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
mr flaps wrote:
Nah. Jm will get upset.

I’m good thanks.
No. You’re f**king shite. Time to come off.

Well that settles it.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

I thought we started nervously and never found our feet. The scrum was an utter abortion until we got Kruis and Marler on. Youngs consistently took the wrong option when we were making ground and there were far too many handling errors. I had high hopes we'd steadied the ship just before Farrell missed that shot at goal but it wasn't to be.

We've always been inconsistent and it was no real surprise for England fans to see us fail to back up a performance but credit must go to South Africa who played a very very good final.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

That period of play when we battered away at their line just made me so angry at Ben Youngs - pass after pass after pass was thrown behind the shoulder of the target, forcing them to stop and get the hands high and wasting any momentum we had on attack. Just absolute Grade-A dogshit from a player who is frequently Grade-A dogshit at the basics of his position.
pjm1

Post by pjm1 »

JM2K6 wrote:That period of play when we battered away at their line just made me so angry at Ben Youngs - pass after pass after pass was thrown behind the shoulder of the target, forcing them to stop and get the hands high and wasting any momentum we had on attack. Just absolute Grade-A dogshit from a player who is frequently Grade-A dogshit at the basics of his position.
This.
le chat

Post by le chat »

Eddie needs to go now.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

JM2K6 wrote:That period of play when we battered away at their line just made me so angry at Ben Youngs - pass after pass after pass was thrown behind the shoulder of the target, forcing them to stop and get the hands high and wasting any momentum we had on attack. Just absolute Grade-A dogshit from a player who is frequently Grade-A dogshit at the basics of his position.
It was infuriatingly poor.
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

JM2K6 wrote:
mr flaps wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
mr flaps wrote:
Nah. Jm will get upset.

I’m good thanks.
Listen, if you were being honest with yourself you'd admit you're a bit too keen to blame refs for losses. It's kind of your thing on this board. But there's really no point trying to start a shitfight with me outside of that single disagreement over scrums, it only makes you look bad and pisses everyone else off if it continues.

You take this forum way to seriously. I couldn’t give a f**king monkey bollock about “making myself look bad and pissing people off.”
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

ok flaps
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

le chat wrote:Eddie needs to go now.

He hinted in his interview that he’ll be staying on for 4 years.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

At that time in the game he should have dropped the ball and taken 3. We blew ourselves out completely with no reward. We’re never going to smash through the middle of them. God he’s fcking shite though.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

I think we could've gotten over the line if the passing was right but we'll never know.

I'm fine with Eddie continuing - he's done very well with England and no-one expected us to win the world cup after the 6N. He just needs to recognise some of his own failings.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

JM2K6 wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:Mako can’t scrum, if the tight head is getting mashed the hooker can’t help him. The Vickery defence won’t work for Cole I’m afraid- and there was no sub to bail him out.
Things turned around completely as soon as Mako went off
His first game at rwc he couldn’t hold the scrum up. Marler comes on, hooker can help Cole. Individually both mako and Cole were pumped.

Cole should have dealt with beast though, yeah Young’s and Daly were shite but the scrum getting mashed took the wind out of our sails completely. We looked like maybe getting a toe back in the game before surrendering completely. I still really don’t feel too gutted though.
It would've been worse to lose a closer final by a narrow margin, or alternatively to go out by that wider margin in a QF or SF.

Ultimately, it was a good World Cup for England, much better than most anticipated.
Yeah - 2007 hurt more because we came so close (and I felt robbed :lol: ).

Anyway, Eddie has a few things to answer for:

1) Preparation - England started that match like they were physically shitting themselves. Just in completely the wrong headspace. The guy in charge has a lot to do with that, that was Lancaster-era stuff out there (that one's for you DD)

2) Tactical inflexibility - England looked like they had no idea what to do if plan A failed. This happened in the 6N when we ran over 2 teams with no fullbacks, and when we played a team with a fullback we kept trying to do the same thing over and over.

3) Conservative substitutions - look, I have no problem with Mako starting. In hindsight it failed badly, but we all accept the dangers when picking Mako + Sinckler, because what we get out of them is usually worth it. But Mako needed to go early. Ben Youngs needed to go at half time. Daly should at the very least have handed over 15 duties to Watson.

4) Chickens coming home to roost - we knew some players had major weaknesses. Eddie stuck with them even as the benefits of doing so became harder and harder to recognise. Daly should never play 15 again. Youngs should never play international rugby again. And it might be harsh but I don't think Slade deserves to be an automatic squad selection either.
We’ve been great but Gatland was right- we played our final last week. No flies on him.

Any hope we had died with the scrum, pulled the rug out completely but you can’t fairly legislate for Sinckler getting sparked inside 2 minutes. Whether he’d have made the difference we’ll never know but outside the scrum it will have killed our attacking shape.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

On reflection you can see why some people thought Youngs was good last week. He has his own special set of standards.
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

It will be interesting to see if he goes balls out to win the 6n or if he bloods a load of new players.
pjm1

Post by pjm1 »

mr flaps wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
mr flaps wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
mr flaps wrote:
Nah. Jm will get upset.

I’m good thanks.

You take this forum way to seriously. I couldn’t give a f**king monkey bollock about “making myself look bad and pissing people off.”
To be fair, you’re good at something and you know it, so why not rinse and repeat, eh?

It’s just a f**king tedious for the rest of us who can’t be arsed to blame others - it was an England failure.
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

I’m good thanks.[/quote]

Listen, if you were being honest with yourself you'd admit you're a bit too keen to blame refs for losses. It's kind of your thing on this board. But there's really no point trying to start a shitfight with me outside of that single disagreement over scrums, it only makes you look bad and pisses everyone else off if it continues.[/quote]

You take this forum way to seriously. I couldn’t give a f**king monkey bollock about “making myself look bad and pissing people off.”[/quote]

To be fair, you’re good at something and you know it, so why not rinse and repeat, eh?

It’s just a f**king tedious for the rest of us who can’t be arsed to blame others - it was an England failure.[/quote]

“The rest of us” 😂
geordie_6

Post by geordie_6 »

pjm1 wrote:
This.
A particular low light came in the first half, when a planned move didn't come out and he chucked the ball to nobody in particular. Wound up in touch and lost what little momentum we had built.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

mr flaps wrote:It will be interesting to see if he goes balls out to win the 6n or if he bloods a load of new players.
I don’t think we need loads. We just need to make changes in the right areas - specifically 9 and 15.

We’re unlikely to lose loads to retirement. Most likely Marler (again) and Cole, but we already have capped replacements in Genge/Moon and Williams. I think we can do better than Williams but we need a tighthead to really put their hand-up. My money’s on Will Stuart.

At 9, Youngs simply needs to F off. Let’s give Spencer and Robson the 6 Nations to see what they can do. Alex Mitchell was looking great at the end of last season but isn’t due back for a while yet and will have Reinach ahead of him. Henry Taylor is looking like an unexpected wildcard.

At 15, the simplest solution for now is to put Watson there in Daly’s place as he probably should have been anyway. Right now, Daly doesn’t really deserve a place in the starting XV, I’d prefer to give Nowell or Cokanasiga a run alongside May and Watson. George Furbank has had a great start to the season and might emerge as an option if he can maintain his form, but that’s a longer term solution.

Others I’d look at would be Tompkins or Devoto at 12 and Willis in the back row somewhere.

Also worth noting that the 2020 6 Nations will be a weird one with lots of coaching changes and retirements from the other 5.
Last edited by Scrumhead on Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tc27

Post by tc27 »

geordie_6 wrote:
pjm1 wrote:
This.
A particular low light came in the first half, when a planned move didn't come out and he chucked the ball to nobody in particular. Wound up in touch and lost what little momentum we had built.
Yes that was f**king unbelievable.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Stat attack! (subject to change)

Elliot Daly.

6 passes, 8 runs for 4m, 1 defender beaten, 1 offload. Can't wait for Jake's analysis of how brilliant he was in attack.
2 turnovers conceded, 4 tackles made, 1 missed, beaten to 74 high balls.

Manu Tuilagi - 9 carries for 12m. Shut down completely.

Billy Vunipola: 19 carries for 17m. Didn't manage to break a tackle. 3 offloads. 5 tackles made, 2 missed.

Entire England pack that isn't Billy including the subs: 43m made. BRICK WALL.

Maro - 16 tackles made (1 miss). 5 more than the nearest England player (Farrell, 10/2).

Johnny May made the most ground - 37m. In comparison, 6 Boks did more - Handre Pollard managed 72m!
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

I hope to god it’s the last time we see Youngs in an England 9 shirt, I notice even his usual defenders haven’t popped up so far.
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

Scrumhead wrote:
mr flaps wrote:It will be interesting to see if he goes balls out to win the 6n or if he bloods a load of new players.
I don’t think we need loads. We just need to make changes in the right areas - specifically 9 and 15.

We’re unlikely to lose loads to retirement. Most likely Marler (again) and Cole, but we already have capped replacements in Genge/Moon and Williams. I think we can do better than Williams but we need a tighthead to really put their hand-up. My money’s on Will Stuart.

At 9, Youngs simply needs to F off. Let’s give Spencer and Robson the 6 Nations to see what they can do. Alex Mitchell was looking great at the end of last season but isn’t due back for a while yet and will have Reinach ahead of him. Henry Taylor is looking like an unexpected wildcard.

At 15, the simplest solution for now is to put Watson there in Daly’s place as he probably should have been anyway. Right now, Daly doesn’t really deserve a place in the starting XV, I’d prefer to give Nowell or Cokanasiga a run alongside May and Watson. George Furbank has had a great start to the season and might emerge as an option if he can maintain his form, but that’s a longer term solution.

Others I’d look at would be Tompkins or Devoto at 12 and Willis in the back row somewhere.

Also worth noting that the 2020 6 Nations will be a weird one with lots of coaching changes and retirements from the other 5.

I heard on one of the rugby podcasts that Daly is going to Sarries to play 13. He has no interest in pla15 at club level.
45jumper

Post by 45jumper »

The most annoying thing for me is I couldn't work out how we were going to play. Our attack consisted of shit passes from Youngs to a nearby forward who ran straight into a massive Springbok. There's no chance we set out to play like that, surely?!
Also, Daly is not a fullback as long as I have a hole in my arse. He's physically and mentally soft, average-poor under the high ball and prone to mistakes. And the less said about Youngs the better, he was a legitimate disgrace today. I'd argue that we have comfortably the worst scrum half of any Tier 1 nation. The fact he makes the occasional break seems to mean he's immune to criticism from the press and Eddie. Slade also seems to go missing when the going gets tough, and Farrell's limitations were there for all to see today - his 'defending' for the last try :uhoh:
One final thing, why did we never try to chip in behind the defence? We know they rush up fast and narrow, but we never even thought to take advantage of the space behind. I thought that's what Slade was brought in to do when he came on, but no dice.
It was all very poor today, not helped by some abysmal refereeing at the ruck. There was one breakdown where he told Marx to get his hands off the ball, he didn't, he went around the side, told him again and he took a good few seconds to let go. He couldn't seem to blow quick enough for us, though. The one where Vermeulen turned the ball over but he still played advantage for us holding on was equally perplexing.
That being said, he wasn't the reason we lost today. We only have ourselves to blame for shooting ourselves in the foot with our selection and tactics. Youngs should never play for England again, IMO.
Oh, and what's up with Billy? Have teams worked him out? He's been poor all World Cup.
Last edited by 45jumper on Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

mr flaps wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:

I heard on one of the rugby podcasts that Daly is going to Sarries to play 13. He has no interest in pla15 at club level.
It will be interesting to see if they can turn him into a decent defender - if any club can it will be them.
croyals

Post by croyals »

Youngs was awful, but we all alresdy knew that
fatheralice

Post by fatheralice »

Posted similar on the game thread, but the 9 situation really came home to roost today

Youngs playing like a twat, and unable to be replaced. Its not like Heinz would have been the answer in truth, as he was a last minute thought himself, but the lack of depth was brutally exposed.

Likewise Daly at fullback, with a bench containing Slade and Joseph, meaning we were powerless to change things.
Really feel if Daly hadn't won a Lions test shirt, he would be a million miles from an England one.

Losing Sinkler also hurt, and exposed Mako at scrum time. Having two ball playing props would have mixed up the threat, but left on his own, it became a very tough day at the office. Really feel Mako needs to be coming off the bench against a strong scrummaging side.

As well as EJ has done to get the team where they are, two of the above points were entirely within his remit, entirely predictable and really cost us.

Easy in hindsight, but doubt he would start that team again v South Africa.
Starting Marler, and Lawes at 6, and benching Mako, Underhill and Ford would likely have seen us better able to withstand the onslaught, but the performance last week was perversely almost too good to allow him to do that.

South Africa blew us away, and would have done whatever side we fielded today I feel, but there are going to be some regrets there, that we and particularly EJ blew it on the biggest stage.
Last edited by fatheralice on Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Man Without Fear

Post by The Man Without Fear »

You had me nodding in agreement until you started gibbering about Lawes at 6. Stop it.

I would also like to draw attention to Youngs' decision to tap and go. f**king hell.
fatheralice

Post by fatheralice »

The Man Without Fear wrote:You had me nodding in agreement until you started gibbering about Lawes at 6. Stop it.

I would also like to draw attention to Youngs' decision to tap and go. f**king hell.

Okay, well definitely Wilson then!
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Saffers were massive, we were panicky and inaccurate and lost an important ball carrier almost instantly in an "it happens" rugby moment. From that point on we were in for a tough time and didn't handle the occasion well. Youngs was dreadful, and as much as I've defended Eddie on here in the past about certain selections his approach to 9 has always been annoying.

I just don't have it in me to be unhappy though. If you'd described the past 4 years to me after the last World Cup I'd have been ecstatic, and I'm still satisfied now. We played a lot of very good rugby while having some areas where we stand to make big improvements, which to me is a great place to be in. There is a group of teams in top tier rugby right now who can beat or trouble any other team on the day or take a serious kicking if things don't go right. That's a much better place for the sport to be in than NZ and the rest. I am content.
SamShark

Post by SamShark »

This has been one of the most universal critiques of England I've seen, in the pub and on the bored:

- Mako scrum worries
- Youngs
- Daly errors

Hard to argue to be honest.
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

What a strangely hollow game + feeling, despite never really being in control at any point throughout I reckon in the context of that game when Farrell missed the kick to bring us to 12-15 it was a turning point for sure, we lost all momentum and then the Saffas just blew us away

But more structural problems - Daly obviously seriously exposed at 15, Youngs played to his usual standard, nobody could pass properly for the first 30 minutes, our scrum was total muck

The issues are worrying - we have no ready made replacements at 9 or 15, none of our test quality props are renowned scrummagers, difficult for selection to just fix things on this occasion
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

openclashXX wrote:What a strangely hollow game + feeling, despite never really being in control at any point throughout I reckon in the context of that game when Farrell missed the kick to bring us to 12-15 it was a turning point for sure, we lost all momentum and then the Saffas just blew us away

But more structural problems - Daly obviously seriously exposed at 15, Youngs played to his usual standard, nobody could pass properly for the first 30 minutes, our scrum was total muck

The issues are worrying - we have no ready made replacements at 9 or 15, none of our test quality props are renowned scrummagers, difficult for selection to just fix things on this occasion

I think Spencer will be fine and I was shocked when he wasn’t picked for the squad. Genge will be fine and the young TH at Leicester looks very good.
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

Genge is also not a particularly destructive scrummager

The problem is that for four years Eddie has repeatedly emphasised that the traditional English game is built around rock solid defence and a powerful set piece - while we had a very good defence throughout his tenure I don't think at any point we had a scrum or lineout that would be considered the best in the world
tc27

Post by tc27 »

Definitely need to avoid throwing the baby out with the bathwater - there is the foundation to challenge again in four years time.

Any team would have struggled with the level of physicality SA bought today - we do need to make changes to win these kinds of games and I am guessing that fixture away in the pissing rain in Edinburgh will be a good place to start.
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

45jumper wrote:The most annoying thing for me is I couldn't work out how we were going to play. Our attack consisted of shit passes from Youngs to a nearby forward who ran straight into a massive Springbok. There's no chance we set out to play like that, surely?!
Also, Daly is not a fullback as long as I have a hole in my arse. He's physically and mentally soft, average-poor under the high ball and prone to mistakes. And the less said about Youngs the better, he was a legitimate disgrace today. I'd argue that we have comfortably the worst scrum half of any Tier 1 nation. The fact he makes the occasional break seems to mean he's immune to criticism from the press and Eddie. Slade also seems to go missing when the going gets tough, and Farrell's limitations were there for all to see today - his 'defending' for the last try :uhoh:
One final thing, why did we never try to chip in behind the defence? We know they rush up fast and narrow, but we never even thought to take advantage of the space behind. I thought that's what Slade was brought in to do when he came on, but no dice.
It was all very poor today, not helped by some abysmal refereeing at the ruck. There was one breakdown where he told Marx to get his hands off the ball, he didn't, he went around the side, told him again and he took a good few seconds to let go. He couldn't seem to blow quick enough for us, though. The one where Vermeulen turned the ball over but he still played advantage for us holding on was equally perplexing.
That being said, he wasn't the reason we lost today. We only have ourselves to blame for shooting ourselves in the foot with our selection and tactics. Youngs should never play for England again, IMO.
Oh, and what's up with Billy? Have teams worked him out? He's been poor all World Cup.
Needed Nathan as an alternative.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Rugby2023 wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:Mako can’t scrum, if the tight head is getting mashed the hooker can’t help him. The Vickery defence won’t work for Cole I’m afraid- and there was no sub to bail him out.
Things turned around completely as soon as Mako went off
His first game at rwc he couldn’t hold the scrum up. Marler comes on, hooker can help Cole. Individually both mako and Cole were pumped.

Cole should have dealt with beast though, yeah Young’s and Daly were shite but the scrum getting mashed took the wind out of our sails completely. We looked like maybe getting a toe back in the game before surrendering completely. I still really don’t feel too gutted though.
It would've been worse to lose a closer final by a narrow margin, or alternatively to go out by that wider margin in a QF or SF.

Ultimately, it was a good World Cup for England, much better than most anticipated.
Yep, got further than I thought they would
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

We also need to pick a 10 with a proper center combination and stick with it. I like Faz, but we must have more of a carrying threat at 12.
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

Haven't seen the game yet but the writing was on the wall after last week. It was a special result however if you dominate the game that much but struggle to run in tries something is wrong. People highlighted Ben Youngs and they were right to. His inaccuracy is an annoyance when the rest of the team dominates the opposition physically. However in a game when we are matched or bested physically up front then to win you require extreme accuracy from your halves to gain control of the game.

Youngs is profligate and that is a big problem at this level.