**OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Oxbow

Re: **OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

Post by Oxbow »

Hells Bells wrote:Listening to the Blood & Mud podcast and they mentioned about Dom Barrow’s retirement at the age of 26.

Feel like that is a bit of loss considering his potential, apparently fell out of love with rugby after missing out on the 2017 Argentina tour. Always thought when watching him at Falcons and then Leicester he could have been an Atwood type, certainly wasn’t lacking for size/physicality (6ft7, 120kg). There don’t seem to be many other locks in that 24-28 age range threatening international recognition.
Dave Ribbans at Saints says hello.

Barrow never really got much of a chance when he was at Saints, but when he did play he didn't exactly tear up any trees. He's now apparently set up an electric vehicle charging company.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

polyallstar wrote:Why did he retire, missed that tbh
has gone into business making electric charging points

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/domesti ... rthampton/
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Think he was bombed at tigers for punching Tom Young’s?
ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

DragsterDriver wrote:Think he was bombed at tigers for punching Tom Young’s?
Sometimes temptation gets the better of us all........
sockwithaticket

Post by sockwithaticket »

polyallstar wrote:Why did he retire, missed that tbh
After a cursory google it looks like he an Northampton agreed a parting of ways about this time last year. Doesn't seem to have been able to get himself picked up anywhere, though from the sounds of it he may not have pursued it that hard.

Seems a bit strange to have been so bent out of shape by non-selection on that England tour. I get that most pros are proud and have a lot of belief in their own ability, but there's no shame in being a good Prem player rather than a full blown international. It's still better paying than the majority of jobs.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

It’s concussions with barrow- he’s not saying for whatever reason.
sockwithaticket

DragsterDriver wrote:It’s concussions with barrow- he’s not saying for whatever reason.
Have you got insider info?
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

ManInTheBar wrote:
Evidently there's quite a queue to do that
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Barrow was an energetic big bloke with bad hands and worse discipline, he was being sold a pup if he thought his standard at the time was good enough for England
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

sockwithaticket wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:It’s concussions with barrow- he’s not saying for whatever reason.
Have you got insider info?
Kind of. I’d imagine it can effect future insurance if you want to do motorsport, pilots license or something.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

SaintK wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:
Evidently there's quite a queue to do that
Cross the mafia and you’re out, still can’t fathom why they’ve been re-signed for Borthwicks arrival.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

JM2K6 wrote:Barrow was an energetic big bloke with bad hands and worse discipline, he was being sold a pup if he thought his standard at the time was good enough for England
Yeah enforcer with a glass jaw :P decent enough club pro I guess.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Perhaps he's forgotten
tc27

Post by tc27 »

Mako training with Sarries....
45jumper

Post by 45jumper »

happyhooker wrote:
Perhaps he's forgotten
:lol:
Balls Out!

Post by Balls Out! »

happyhooker wrote:
Perhaps he's forgotten
Saint

Post by Saint »

tc27 wrote:Mako training with Sarries....
He's not symptomatic so isn't self quarantine. England chose to stand him down as a precaution so he's free to play
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

I'm sure Dan Cole is looking forward to packing down against him at the weekend.

crash 669

Post by crash 669 »

Ashton to Quins is official now.

Wonder what the "disagreement" at Sale was.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Good stuff
sockwithaticket

Probably not many teams who could take him at this point. Quins with their injury crisis can obviously squeeze him in as a medical joker. Then you add in his apparently close friendship with Danny Care.

A good point was made on Rugby Union Weekly, this means they'll now have 2 current and one former Quin as their presenters/pundits. Obviously it was a hypothetical at that point, but so it has come to pass.
Plastic Sarrie

Post by Plastic Sarrie »

sockwithaticket wrote:If any coach would, it'd be Eddie.

Hard to see how they'd be fully match fit for international level after spanking champ teams or putting their feet up while the academy plays. Even if Eddie believes his England training sessions are incredible, he surely doesn't have enough time to get them where they need to be.

From the players' perspective, some of those guys are in their late 20s iirc and probably wouldn't mind a season of less intense rugby, could help lengthen their careers. Dare say a they likely haven't had a full pre-season for a few years and would appreciate that too.
I've been told that there's been talks between the RFU & Sarries about Farrell & co, and they've basically agreed how many games they'll play in the Champ (not very many) Not sure if that number will include any high profile friendlies Sarries might organise though
45jumper

Post by 45jumper »

crash 669 wrote:Ashton to Quins is official now.

Diamond has spoken about it here. In another article (which I can't find at the moment) he said someone else will probably leave before the end of the season as well - which is a bit odd :uhoh:
Having said that, is has been pointed out elsewhere that Ashton has failed to see a contract out for some time, doesn't reflect particularly well on him. I just hope to see Roebuck get a go - he's got a big future IMO.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Ryan Mills signs for Wasps.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Seemed fairly reasonable from what I read? Dimes and him weren’t getting on, probably over selection, so didn’t bother wasting each other’s time.
sockwithaticket

45jumper wrote:

Diamond has spoken about it here. In another article (which I can't find at the moment) he said someone else will probably leave before the end of the season as well - which is a bit odd :uhoh:
Having said that, is has been pointed out elsewhere that Ashton has failed to see a contract out for some time, doesn't reflect particularly well on him. I just hope to see Roebuck get a go - he's got a big future IMO.
Only two contracts, though isn't it? Toulon and now Sale. It's unusual, but I wouldn't hold it against him.

Raggs wrote:Ryan Mills signs for Wasps.
Closest we can get to a like for like Gopperth replacement I guess. Can't say I ever see much of Worcester, but my impression of him has always been good when he's been playing. I have it in mind that he's a bit injury prone, anyone able to confirm or deny?
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Mills is a bit injury prone, but not a permacrock. He’s a very good player and a good replacement for Gopperth.
sockwithaticket

Scrumhead wrote:Mills is a bit injury prone, but not a permacrock. He’s a very good player and a good replacement for Gopperth.
:thumbup:
Woddy

Post by Woddy »

sockwithaticket wrote:
Woddy wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:Any predictions for the team on Saturday? Doubt Eddie will look to change much apart from maybe dropping Marler for Mako.

Would like us to change it up slightly though:

Marler, George, Sinckler, Itoje, Kruis, Curry, Underhill, Wilson
Youngs, Ford, May, Farrell, Tuilagi, Watson, Daly

Subs: LCD, Genge, Williams, Lawes, Earl, Heinz, Slade, Joseph
Don't see anything wrong with that. Potentially stick Thorley on the bench instead of Slade, but we know Joseph can do a job on the wing, so it's not like we'd be devoid of back row cover.
I'd like to have Maunder on the bench and give him a run. Don't mind which of Youngs or Heinz starts. Youngs had a good game last time out which means he'll probably stink the place out this time. For some reason and with the backrow proposed above, I'd also like Launch on the bench rather than Lawes. Have a feeling we'll need a few players who are good in the tight rumble, which is Launch's forte these days. He'd be more of a like-for-like replacement for Kruis.
Maunder's not good enough at this point in time. He's looked better for Chiefs this season than when he played between injuries last season, but I've not seen anything to indicate he should be partaking in internationals. Christ knows why Eddie's called him up other than that he dimly remembers capping the guy out of nowhere 3 years ago for all of about 2 minutes. If we're adding a 9 to the squad it should be Robson.

Rowlands went off for Wasps with a knee issue at the weekend, without him the Welsh second row is lacking in grunt, so we can get away without the bulk of Launch. Plus Lawes has been playing really bloody well (albeit out of position and in an unbalanced back row). Launch needs to up his game to overhaul any of the incumbants, he's definitely not where he was a few years back (still better than the likes of Ewels). He should have more opportunities soon, though, with Kruis heading overseas.
Going with Maunder simply because he's been picked and it'd be worth seeing another 9 in action. Would be more than happy with Robson instead.

And mentioned Launch specifically in combination with a lighter, faster backrow, which would negate some of the need for Lawes even if he has been playing well of late.
sockwithaticket

Woddy wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
Woddy wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:Any predictions for the team on Saturday? Doubt Eddie will look to change much apart from maybe dropping Marler for Mako.

Would like us to change it up slightly though:

Marler, George, Sinckler, Itoje, Kruis, Curry, Underhill, Wilson
Youngs, Ford, May, Farrell, Tuilagi, Watson, Daly

Subs: LCD, Genge, Williams, Lawes, Earl, Heinz, Slade, Joseph
Don't see anything wrong with that. Potentially stick Thorley on the bench instead of Slade, but we know Joseph can do a job on the wing, so it's not like we'd be devoid of back row cover.
I'd like to have Maunder on the bench and give him a run. Don't mind which of Youngs or Heinz starts. Youngs had a good game last time out which means he'll probably stink the place out this time. For some reason and with the backrow proposed above, I'd also like Launch on the bench rather than Lawes. Have a feeling we'll need a few players who are good in the tight rumble, which is Launch's forte these days. He'd be more of a like-for-like replacement for Kruis.
Maunder's not good enough at this point in time. He's looked better for Chiefs this season than when he played between injuries last season, but I've not seen anything to indicate he should be partaking in internationals. Christ knows why Eddie's called him up other than that he dimly remembers capping the guy out of nowhere 3 years ago for all of about 2 minutes. If we're adding a 9 to the squad it should be Robson.

Rowlands went off for Wasps with a knee issue at the weekend, without him the Welsh second row is lacking in grunt, so we can get away without the bulk of Launch. Plus Lawes has been playing really bloody well (albeit out of position and in an unbalanced back row). Launch needs to up his game to overhaul any of the incumbants, he's definitely not where he was a few years back (still better than the likes of Ewels). He should have more opportunities soon, though, with Kruis heading overseas.
Going with Maunder simply because he's been picked and it'd be worth seeing another 9 in action. Would be more than happy with Robson instead.

And mentioned Launch specifically in combination with a lighter, faster backrow, which would negate some of the need for Lawes even if he has been playing well of late.

I don't think we need to offset a lighter back row against anyone other than France or South Africa. A back row full of actual back rowers, but devoid of Billy or A N Other bruiser type is fine with Kruis/ Launch and Itoje/Lawes at lock. Whatever shirt numbers they've got on some combination of Curry x2, Underhill, Wilson, Earl, Willis, Hill, Mercer, Dombrandt, Simmonds Ludlam will go well against the majority of opponents. I have included non-squad names there as I'm certain that Eddie can't ignore them forever, his stubborn streak notwithstanding.
Woddy

Post by Woddy »

sockwithaticket wrote:
Woddy wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:

I don't think we need to offset a lighter back row against anyone other than France or South Africa. A back row full of actual back rowers, but devoid of Billy or A N Other bruiser type is fine with Kruis/ Launch and Itoje/Lawes at lock. Whatever shirt numbers they've got on some combination of Curry x2, Underhill, Wilson, Earl, Willis, Hill, Mercer, Dombrandt, Simmonds Ludlam will go well against the majority of opponents. I have included non-squad names there as I'm certain that Eddie can't ignore them forever, his stubborn streak notwithstanding.[/quote]
Speaking of the other Twindaloo, what's going on with him? Wasn't Ben supposed to be the Phaal to Tom's mere Madras when they first hit the seen and he got injured just as they hit the England radar?

Btw, in doublechecking which way around they are, I just noticed that they went to Oundle (school). Am amazed from Maidstone that they are not someone's personal bfs.
Woddy

Post by Woddy »

btw, I think you are right about the potential lighter backrows but would still want some heft at lock at all times in the match. It can help see out scrums when new frontrows come on and helps tie the game in the tight.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

If the bench choice is Lawes or Launch then (Assuming Form and Fitness) surely the choice has to be Lawes as he offers you more tactical versatility.

When you bring current form into it I am not convinced that Launch should be in the 23 at the moment
sockwithaticket

Woddy wrote:btw, I think you are right about the potential lighter backrows but would still want some heft at lock at all times in the match. It can help see out scrums when new frontrows come on and helps tie the game in the tight.
Oh definitely. I certainly view the current makeup as one of Kruis or Launch and one of Itoje or Lawes (though I do recall people posting on here that Itoje is freakishly powerful and provides a lot more scrum ballast than might be thought).

The four lock scrum can be good for a giggle. We finished up with that during the World Cup warm up against Wales at Twickenham and were pushing their scrum around like an elephant would a straw hut.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

blindcider wrote:If the bench choice is Lawes or Launch then (Assuming Form and Fitness) surely the choice has to be Lawes as he offers you more tactical versatility.

When you bring current form into it I am not convinced that Launch should be in the 23 at the moment
You mean he can play as a lock wearing the 5 or 6 shirt?
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Maunder is a strange one, benches for his club- nothing special when he plays.

Mitchell is around the squad.

Spencer went to the World Cup last year.

Strange one is Eddie.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Picking a young 9 that no-one would realistically demand starts for England ticks a few boxes
Balls Out!

Post by Balls Out! »

Woddy wrote:Speaking of the other Twindaloo, what's going on with him?
Hadn't heard that name before, enjoyed it :thumbup:
sockwithaticket

Woddy wrote: Speaking of the other Twindaloo, what's going on with him? Wasn't Ben supposed to be the Phaal to Tom's mere Madras when they first hit the seen and he got injured just as they hit the England radar?

Btw, in doublechecking which way around they are, I just noticed that they went to Oundle (school). Am amazed from Maidstone that they are not someone's personal bfs.
No one knows except Eddie. Steve Diamond, as the guy who sees them most, thinks Ben's just as good as Tom. Ben was the one to be called up first back in 2017 before injury led to his brother being capped.

For whatever reason, Eddie's decided he doesn't need a second dose of what Tom offers in the England set up. I would love to hear why that is.
choc

Post by choc »

Because Ben’s scrum half.