**OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Rugby2023

Re: **OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

Post by Rugby2023 »

tc27 wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51809786

Some England players including Youngs close or have hit 20 games this year so cant go to Japan.
Kitson in the Guardian reckons EJ will be taking a developmental squad - assuming the tour isn't Corona'd off.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

Gospel wrote:I am not surprised to see Lawes cited over that challenge on Alun-Whine. It looked pretty bad in real time and I was surprised he wasn't sanctioned at the time. Hugely mitigating factors based on the welshman folding up like a deckchair but as we know that matters not if there's even a whiff of head contact.
The injury looked bad, but the ITV replay didn't. Presumably, they have another angle.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I don’t think there will be a tour and probably the prem season won’t finish.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Rugby2023 wrote:

Some England players including Youngs close or have hit 20 games this year so cant go to Japan.
Kitson in the Guardian reckons EJ will be taking a developmental squad - assuming the tour isn't Corona'd off.
Most of the starting XV will be excluded. Older heads like Launch, Manu, Mako and Billy could potentially make it depending on the rest of the season. However the likes of Kruis, Itoje, George, Sink etc, aren't going to be travelling.

Good news is that it's unlikely that either of the 9s will be making it (Heinz may, depending on how Glaws use him).
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Raggs wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

Most of the starting XV will be excluded. Older heads like Launch, Manu, Mako and Billy could potentially make it depending on the rest of the season. However the likes of Kruis, Itoje, George, Sink etc, aren't going to be travelling.

Good news is that it's unlikely that either of the 9s will be making it (Heinz may, depending on how Glaws use him).
It might exclude a few players that you would hope to see more of like Genge/Cowan-Dickie which is a shame.

Might be slim pickings in some positions (loosehead/scrum half).
sockwithaticket

Post by sockwithaticket »

Hells Bells wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

It might exclude a few players that you would hope to see more of like Genge/Cowan-Dickie which is a shame.

Might be slim pickings in some positions (loosehead/scrum half).
Less slim than you might think. Don't see any reason not to take Genge and then you've got the likes of Hepburn and Obano who've been around the squad.

Scrum half - Robson's on fire for Wasps at the moment, assume Spencer's still going well enough for Sarries (haven't seen much of them other than their drubbing at our hands) while Mitchell and Maunder are both clearly on Eddie's radar.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

DragsterDriver wrote:I don’t think there will be a tour and probably the prem season won’t finish.
Nope, assuming things follow the Italy trajectory, I would be surprised if sport (even behind closed doors) doesn't grind to a halt for a while. Past the point where they can realistically reschedule most games.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Just in relation to who won’t be available for the Japan tour, Russ Petty has totalled the playing time of the RWC squad:

The RWC warm ups don’t count apparently
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Margin_Walker wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:I don’t think there will be a tour and probably the prem season won’t finish.
Nope, assuming things follow the Italy trajectory, I would be surprised if sport (even behind closed doors) doesn't grind to a halt for a while. Past the point where they can realistically reschedule most games.
Gonna be a fallow year, I’m Resigned to holidays and festivals being cancelled. Gotta be realistic!
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... tion-rules

This is some shit, I’ve just dusted off the biro and written to my MP.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

DragsterDriver wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... tion-rules

This is some shit, I’ve just dusted off the biro and written to my MP.
Bloody immigrants. Over here. Fighting our wars.
Plastic Sarrie

Post by Plastic Sarrie »

I'm clearly pretty naive for thinking that if you join the British army you should probably be welcome to stay in the country. Or does this armed forces covenant we hear so much about only cover people who happen to already have a UK passport :roll:
sockwithaticket

Post by sockwithaticket »

That is some serious bullshit. The government statement is pathetic.

Doesn't matter if you tell them about the change to their status and costs to get it changed (which I can believe wasn't actually done properly), if they put their lives on the line for this nation the least we can do is give them ILR.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

Matt Perry reckons it's time for Eddie Jones to move on...
Ex-Bath full-back Matt Perry has claimed now is the time for Eddie Jones to call time on his reign as England Head Coach.

Speaking to Love Sport Breakfast, Former Bath & England full-back Matt Perry has echoed the sentiment that perhaps Eddie Jones is nearing the end as England boss.

"I think it's probably the right time for him to move on. I think we need probably new ideas, new ways of doing things. You can see some of the comments he's making, you know, it looks and it feels like he's becoming a bit stale, [he] is starting to play a few games from what I see in the media.

"He just looks as though he personally needs a new fresh challenge and with a group of players there, having a good young England coach to come through would be would be a good thing."
crash 669

Post by crash 669 »

Rugby2023 wrote:Matt Perry reckons it's time for Eddie Jones to move on...
Ex-Bath full-back Matt Perry has claimed now is the time for Eddie Jones to call time on his reign as England Head Coach.

Speaking to Love Sport Breakfast, Former Bath & England full-back Matt Perry has echoed the sentiment that perhaps Eddie Jones is nearing the end as England boss.

"I think it's probably the right time for him to move on. I think we need probably new ideas, new ways of doing things. You can see some of the comments he's making, you know, it looks and it feels like he's becoming a bit stale, [he] is starting to play a few games from what I see in the media.

"He just looks as though he personally needs a new fresh challenge and with a group of players there, having a good young England coach to come through would be would be a good thing."
This. Not sure who we get to replace him, but it's definitely time to get someone else.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

It is a bit weird that our closest analogue to Eddie Jones is latter-day Jose fucking Mourinho
geordie_6

Post by geordie_6 »

Singleton moves to Gloucester on loan for next season.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... er-on-loan
shaggy

Post by shaggy »

May out with fractured cheekbone following that ugly challenge at the weekend which should have been the first card for a Welshist.
tc27

Post by tc27 »

I just watched the game again - England were very good for about 70 minutes some really excellent defensive sets and kicking duels.

The 'wonder try' the Welsh got after half time really was done to a really shit restart chase - I can only imagine Ford kicked it to the wrong part of the pitch as once the chaser missed it there was only a single England player between the touchline and the 15 meter line.

O'Keefe and his team missed some shockers on both sides.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

tc27 wrote:I just watched the game again - England were very good for about 70 minutes some really excellent defensive sets and kicking duels.

The 'wonder try' the Welsh got after half time really was done to a really shit restart chase - I can only imagine Ford kicked it to the wrong part of the pitch as once the chaser missed it there was only a single England player between the touchline and the 15 meter line.

Kruis created a dog leg for that try no?

Haven't rewatched yet
croyals

Post by croyals »

tc27 wrote:I just watched the game again - England were very good for about 70 minutes some really excellent defensive sets and kicking duels.

This was my initial reaction - we jumped up, missed a tackle and there was no one on the outside. Wales then put the passes together when they outnumbered our remaining defenders handily.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

happyhooker wrote:

Kruis created a dog leg for that try no?

Haven't rewatched yet
Yep, big time
Poor kick off mind you
tc27

Post by tc27 »

The outside defender is left with 15 meters and 3 attackers to decend by himself..meanwhile the rest of the line is stacked with defenders where the ball isnt.

Really bad execution.
geordie_6

Post by geordie_6 »

Marler banned for 10 weeks, Manu banned for 4 weeks, Lawes not punished.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/51863544
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

geordie_6 wrote:Marler banned for 10 weeks, Manu banned for 4 weeks, Lawes not punished.

Fair enough really.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

terryfinch wrote:
geordie_6 wrote:Marler banned for 10 weeks, Manu banned for 4 weeks, Lawes not punished.

Fair enough really.
I posted elsewhere earlier, but in comparison with the French prop only getting 3 weeks?
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

happyhooker wrote:
terryfinch wrote:

Fair enough really.
I posted elsewhere earlier, but in comparison with the French prop only getting 3 weeks?
guessing they took provocation into account with the Frenchie
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

im fine with that. its a recognition of things but it isnt stupid.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Feel a bit sorry for the French prop tbh. Marler? He was fücked the minute AWJ hung him out to dry.

Not going on a whinge again but the TMO didn’t help the ref and the citing officer absolutely shafted England.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Anyone spotted Christian Day on MasterChef? He's pretty good!
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

DragsterDriver wrote:Feel a bit sorry for the French prop tbh. Marler? He was fücked the minute AWJ hung him out to dry.

Not going on a whinge again but the TMO didn’t help the ref and the citing officer absolutely shafted England.
Can you imagine if he had not gotten a sanction, he would have gone for a rimming next time ... ?

He is a very lucky boy today and we will see if he can resist not offending again ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

“Marler is therefore suspended for 10 weeks and, given his playing schedule, is free to resume playing on Monday, 8 June 2020”

Might not miss much after all?
henry

Post by henry »

DragsterDriver wrote:Feel a bit sorry for the French prop tbh. Marler? He was fücked the minute AWJ hung him out to dry.

:lol:

You lot are definitely better than us, JM2K6.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I wonder how many posters spend their time hovering over our national thread.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

henry wrote:

We can read the Welsh thread as well, you know. The entire board was laughing at your meltdown.
henry

Post by henry »

JM2K6 wrote:
henry wrote:

We can read the Welsh thread as well, you know. The entire board was laughing at your meltdown.
Is this the imaginary meltdown I had in TC’s fevered imagination?

Anyway, as you were.
tc27

Post by tc27 »

henry wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
henry wrote:

Is this the imaginary meltdown I had in TC’s fevered imagination?

Anyway, as you were.
:lol: 8)
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

As was expected, Franny Louw retiring at end of season.

Assume he is/was marquee, wonder who will fill that slot for Bath next season.
matta25

Post by matta25 »

inactionman wrote:As was expected, Franny Louw retiring at end of season.

Assume he is/was marquee, wonder who will fill that slot for Bath next season.
Whoever it is, Bath will still be shit
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Prem cup final, Sale vs Quins, is called off.