**OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Hawk97

Re: **OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

Post by Hawk97 »

Men against boys Bristol vs Leicester. Leicester never looked like scoring, their maul was stopped every time.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

Hawk97 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:46 pm We have a problem with Wales and losing the discipline battle.

Penalties conceded in 6N games;

2020: England 10, Wales 6
2019: England 9, Wales 3!
2018: England 10, Wales 2!...TWO, all game. Pretty sure Garces was just reffing one team

These games are kept far closer than some of them ought to be with our stupidity. I'm sick of conceding 10+ pens to Wales whilst they keep it tight as fck.
13 in half an hour this time. Why cant we learn?
Winger_

Post by Winger_ »

We are the dumbest team in international rugby and that must come back to Jones.

That Jonny Hill.pen was just dumb.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Assuming we lose, irrespective of the appalling reffing- Eddie’s selections haven’t been vindicated again. Which is good.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

I think England will have to stop picking braindead players - we're just chucking this game away with our ill discipline - it is so frustrating. It's bad enough that we haven't had the rub of the green - but we just keep making it harder and harder for ourselves.

As I type - another silly penalty costs us 30m
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

Dear god we're shite. The discipline is just awful.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Fück you Eddie :)
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

English rugby is currently noticeably sub-par through the clubs and the national side.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Robson is making Youngs look better every time he comes on.

Hill and Ewels are shite considering the class that England has at 4 and 5, Genge is awful.

Itoje needs to play smarter too

Daly is shocking every week.

No problem with Wales getting the win, their players were smarter and took their chances.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

fatcat wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:41 pm English rugby is currently noticeably sub-par through the clubs and the national side.
There’s plenty of talent out there, but Eddie has reached the end of his road. His favourites aren’t up to it.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

blindcider wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:43 pm Robson is making Youngs look better every time he comes on.

Hill and Ewels are shite considering the class that England has at 4 and 5, Genge is awful.

Itoje needs to play smarter too

Daly is shocking every week.

No problem with Wales getting the win, their players were smarter and took their chances.
The consistent selection of Daly at fullback is the single biggest thing I look at that convinces me Jones is missing something somewhere. It was a bad experiment that has turned into an even worse long-term issue, and it's not doing England - or Daly, who is a decent player in the right position - any good.
marcopolio

Post by marcopolio »

3 consecutive games of poor decisions.

Poor selections, poor changes, no team evolution, no clear identity or gameplan.

Jones has failed to take this forward. Make the change after the 6N, give the new coach time to build toward the WC.

Regardless of the ref today, the penalties we're genuinely appalling to be given away. The decision making, especially from the bench, were mental. Ewels jumping across so clearly, Genge flopping across the ruck - both are pens we'd seen throughout the game and yet they continue the behaviour.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

ovalball wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:29 pm I think England will have to stop picking braindead players - we're just chucking this game away with our ill discipline - it is so frustrating. It's bad enough that we haven't had the rub of the green - but we just keep making it harder and harder for ourselves.

Constant. It is constant.

Go back and look at other games, we always give the most penalties away.

It should be priority number 1. fudge bacon and eggs, fudge weight sessions, fudge line outs; work on not giving penalties away.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

Surely Jones can't come out with the 'I failed to prepare the team properly' line again?
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

Dobbin wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:00 pm Surely Jones can't come out with the 'I failed to prepare the team properly' line again?
Tbf he never blames players does he?

Players deserve plenty of blame. How can you not address the stupidity?
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

Hawk97 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:53 pm
ovalball wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:29 pm I think England will have to stop picking braindead players - we're just chucking this game away with our ill discipline - it is so frustrating. It's bad enough that we haven't had the rub of the green - but we just keep making it harder and harder for ourselves.

It should be priority number 1. fudge bacon and eggs, fudge weight sessions, fudge line outs; work on not giving penalties away.
Your mater dei of all things, bimboman, doesn’t see an issue with picking braindead players. Good to see some of the more open minded posters see one of the major issues with England. Eddie needs to do a reset.

Hard luck lads.
Last edited by YOYO on Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

We played some good stuff today but we’re killed by the penalty count. Most of the penalties were not given while we were under pressure. Just stupid. Who do you blame? Is EJ telling them to be too aggressive and on the edge? Are they just rusty?
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

YOYO wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:04 pm

Your mater dei of all things, bimboman, doesn’t see an issue with picking braindead players. Good to see some of the more open minded posters see one of the major issues.

Hard luck lads.
I almost dont mind the Itoje penalties but the Robson/Genge/Hill ones are awful
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

blindcider wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:06 pm

Your mater dei of all things, bimboman, doesn’t see an issue with picking braindead players. Good to see some of the more open minded posters see one of the major issues.

Hard luck lads.
Me too. Those type of penos are hard to accept at this level.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

terryfinch wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:04 pm We played some good stuff today but we’re killed by the penalty count. Most of the penalties were not given while we were under pressure. Just stupid. Who do you blame? Is EJ telling them to be too aggressive and on the edge? Are they just rusty?
I had a look back over a few years worth of games, tel, and whilst none were as bad as today; we almost always lose the penalty count badly.

It isnt rust. It's a deep problem with this team
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

blindcider wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:06 pm

Hard luck lads.
Apart from the lineout ones I thought Itoje got the the rough end of the stick. Its really annoying ending up believing that despite the ref England still had the winning of that game within their own hands but just couldn't and wouldn't hold onto the ball in attack.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Yep - or change the personnel. But Eddie won't do that - I doubt we'll see him make any substantial change. I fear for this side against France and Ireland.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

ovalball wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:12 pm

Yep - or change the personnel. But Eddie won't do that - I doubt we'll see him make any substantial change. I fear for this side against France and Ireland.
Cant watch those now. Ireland are another team that always keeps the pens down against us. That's a loss this time
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

DragsterDriver wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:44 pm
fatcat wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:41 pm English rugby is currently noticeably sub-par through the clubs and the national side.
There’s plenty of talent out there, but Eddie has reached the end of his road. His favourites aren’t up to it.
Of course there's talent, but look at all the weak-minded red card offences and general ill-discipline. Far too many players are soft in the head. It's pretty f**king pathetic for elite professionals to play like that.
covrich

Post by covrich »

Robson seems to shit the bed when he comes on, he practically gave away 1pt point per minute.

Annoying as things seem with the controversal decisions, we only have ourselves to blame..

Tbf Farrell and Eddie both handled the interviews well
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Just to add - yes, his favourites are some of the worst offenders. Daly really shouldn't trouble the side again, and Farrell should not be captain at the very least. I just have this feeling that things have become far too cosy in the England camp. Players need to experience a certain amount of shitting themselves that they will be dropped for playing like a twat.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

What a bunch of panty-wetting plums.

Everyone wrote EJ off in 2018 as well.
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

Daly was abysmal today. Two clangers in attack, piss-weak in defence and switched off completely for the Hardy try. Like Youngs at 9, it really is astonishing we can't find somebody better than this to play 15 for England
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

fatcat wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:38 pm
Of course there's talent, but look at all the weak-minded red card offences and general ill-discipline. Far too many players are soft in the head. It's pretty f**king pathetic for elite professionals to play like that.
I hate to say it but many pros are thick as shit.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

covrich wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:40 pm Robson seems to shit the bed when he comes on, he practically gave away 1pt point per minute.

Annoying as things seem with the controversal decisions, we only have ourselves to blame..

Robson is talented but has shit the bed in every audition, he’s either very unlucky or nervous.
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

Maro’s first 3 pens weren’t pens.

Daley has been completely ruined by Eddie, he should be nailed on at 13. Which is where he made his reputation. Ford, Faz, Slade isn’t scaring anyone.

10, Smith/Ford or Faz
11. Watson
12. A big hard running lump
13. Daley/Marchant
14. May
15 Malins

22. Slade
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

DragsterDriver wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:15 pm
covrich wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:40 pm Robson seems to shit the bed when he comes on, he practically gave away 1pt point per minute.

Robson is talented but has shit the bed in every audition, he’s either very unlucky or nervous.

We’re in the shit and you have 10 minutes to prove yourself isn’t exactly fair.
OhNo

Post by OhNo »

I think Quins are outstanding and it takes a very special team to beat them ;)
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

fatcat wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:40 pm
Just to add - yes, his favourites are some of the worst offenders. Daly really shouldn't trouble the side again, and Farrell should not be captain at the very least. I just have this feeling that things have become far too cosy in the England camp. Players need to experience a certain amount of shitting themselves that they will be dropped for playing like a twat.

This is a good if not great post.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

openclashXX wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:10 pm Daly was abysmal today. Two clangers in attack, piss-weak in defence and switched off completely for the Hardy try. Like Youngs at 9, it really is astonishing we can't find somebody better than this to play 15 for England
We've been looking ?
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

mr flaps wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:18 pm

I was more thinking when Eddie watches him for wasps before picking squads- he always has a proper mare.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

openclashXX wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:10 pm Daly was abysmal today. Two clangers in attack, piss-weak in defence and switched off completely for the Hardy try. Like Youngs at 9, it really is astonishing we can't find somebody better than this to play 15 for England
Youngs played well today. Good box kicking and a try. Also we fired well in attack when we weren't giving away penalties.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

ChipSpike wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:43 pm
Youngs played well today. Good box kicking and a try. Also we fired well in attack when we weren't giving away penalties.
He still passes behind and above carriers stifling momentum.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

DragsterDriver wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:46 pm
ChipSpike wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:43 pm
He still passes behind and above carriers stifling momentum.
Occasionally yes, but all round his game is better than the alternatives. Robson has a better pass, but thats it. That penalty today was unforgiveable for a SH to give away. His kicking isn't as good as Youngs either.
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

DragsterDriver wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:42 pm
mr flaps wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:18 pm

I was more thinking when Eddie watches him for wasps before picking squads- he always has a proper mare.
Gotcha.