**OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
eldanielfire

Re: **OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

Post by eldanielfire »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:07 pm
Hawk97 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:29 am
Short Man Syndrome wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:24 pm I don't buy into the Simmonds hype - he had some eye-catching performances running against very tired and beaten teams (finishing as top try-scorer was very impressive, mind) and it made sense to give the Euro player of the year award to an Exeter player, but there were two or three worthy candidates in that side. It probably speaks more about the competition England have at 8 these days but I like Ben Earl more than Simmonds - and perhaps I'd choose Dombrandt over both of them. I just don't see how Simmonds would flourish at international level where he would not enjoy the same flat tracks.
It's a fair point, and I don't remember him standing out in his first go at international rugby a few years ago. But with Billy V not in form, isn't it worth just trying him out again? If he's 3/4 as effective as he is for Exeter, we've got a player.
Yes - and you could also build an argument around the efficacy of having a core of players from the same club side, Simmonds would no doubt be right at home amongst his Exeter buddies in the pack. I can understand how Eddie might just want a bulldozer at 8, though. And - not being a coach - I can only guess at how much of a pain in the arse it might be to re-drill an international team to a different game plan. Eddie probably sees the best way to use a Simmonds or an Earl at 8, and he probably knows it would take weeks of re-structuring, drilling, practice, etc. before it was second nature to the side. Billy would probably be back in form by then...
Well Eddie should have thought about it last year. Pivac decided to make huge changes to the Gatland game plan and re-coach the players into new habits. It's not complete and he's take shit for it in the results, but you can easily see the rewards coming out now.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Think about what? Billy was back with two working arms again, there was only the question of how undercooked the Sarries guys might be after their hit-outs against Doncaster...
piquant

Post by piquant »

eldanielfire wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:12 pm
Short Man Syndrome wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:24 pm I don't buy into the Simmonds hype - he had some eye-catching performances running against very tired and beaten teams (finishing as top try-scorer was very impressive, mind) and it made sense to give the Euro player of the year award to an Exeter player, but there were two or three worthy candidates in that side. It probably speaks more about the competition England have at 8 these days but I like Ben Earl more than Simmonds - and perhaps I'd choose Dombrandt over both of them. I just don't see how Simmonds would flourish at international level where he would not enjoy the same flat tracks.
It's a fair point, and I don't remember him standing out in his first go at international rugby a few years ago. But with Billy V not in form, isn't it worth just trying him out again? If he's 3/4 as effective as he is for Exeter, we've got a player.
Yes - and you could also build an argument around the efficacy of having a core of players from the same club side, Simmonds would no doubt be right at home amongst his Exeter buddies in the pack. I can understand how Eddie might just want a bulldozer at 8, though. And - not being a coach - I can only guess at how much of a pain in the arse it might be to re-drill an international team to a different game plan. Eddie probably sees the best way to use a Simmonds or an Earl at 8, and he probably knows it would take weeks of re-structuring, drilling, practice, etc. before it was second nature to the side. Billy would probably be back in form by then...
Well Eddie should have thought about it last year. Pivac decided to make huge changes to the Gatland game plan and re-coach the players into new habits. It's not complete and he's take shit for it in the results, but you can easily see the rewards coming out now.
I don't think you can see much coming out in what Wales are achieving. They've been outplayed for large chunks of all 3 games, and probably should have lost all 3 games. I suppose if you're just going off the results then yes they're having a stormer. They've got some quality players in the side but they're spread thin, their attack looks ponderous (but also actually a good return on getting to the 22), their defence looks a bit all over the the place but they keep changing centres, and the scrum looks okay but the lineout as wobbly as we've come to expect.

I actually preferred some of their attack in their losing run of games, if anything they've tightened up a little on attack and gone back a little to more of the things Edwards would've had them doing in defence
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

piquant wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:39 pm
I don't think you can see much coming out in what Wales are achieving. They've been outplayed for large chunks of all 3 games, and probably should have lost all 3 games. I suppose if you're just going off the results then yes they're having a stormer. They've got some quality players in the side but they're spread thin, their attack looks ponderous (but also actually a good return on getting to the 22), their defence looks a bit all over the the place but they keep changing centres, and the scrum looks okay but the lineout as wobbly as we've come to expect.

I actually preferred some of their attack in their losing run of games, if anything they've tightened up a little on attack and gone back a little to more of the things Edwards would've had them doing in defence
I think that's unjust. Yes Wales have experimented and did a bit of trial and error. But Wales now have a quite different defense, which is holding up well now compared with the porous cluster of last year. Also that attack is much different to Gatland's. Likewise Pivac has made Wales incredibly efficient in getting points when they hit the opposition third. Pivac has also seen a number of new players and seen how they can play. Yes he builds on a lot of the good work that Gatland installed in the team, but Wales has changed and are reaping benefits of the new style. Will it bring more success? We will see.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

eldanielfire wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:12 pm
Not sure we can really gauge Wales - ultimately two games won because of red cards and one because of (a little bit of) curious reffing and (a lot of) silly mistakes by their opposition.

I haven't seen much red hot play by them.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

We have superior athletes, they have better rugby players generally.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:18 pm Think about what? Billy was back with two working arms again, there was only the question of how undercooked the Sarries guys might be after their hit-outs against Doncaster...
At best, it still leaves you with no plan B, should Billy become unavailable again, or continue his woeful form of the last 'god knows how long'.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

ovalball wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:25 pm
Short Man Syndrome wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:18 pm Think about what? Billy was back with two working arms again, there was only the question of how undercooked the Sarries guys might be after their hit-outs against Doncaster...
At best, it still leaves you with no plan B, should Billy become unavailable again, or continue his woeful form of the last 'god knows how long'.
I’m bit even sure it’s woeful form, he’s got pub player fitness but players just defend better now.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

DragsterDriver wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:49 pm
I’m bit even sure it’s woeful form, he’s got pub player fitness but players just defend better now.
Whats annoying is they never run decoy lines with Billy and he rarely offloads or passes before contact making it far easier for defences to target him. Okay you want your big carrier to carry but you also have to keep the opposition a bit unsure as to what you are going to do. England are so obvious in their tactics.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

DragsterDriver wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:20 pm We have superior athletes, they have better rugby players generally.
They're smarter. So much so that it evens the playing field (if you consider our talent or power is greater).

It's clear they realised we score a lot off lineouts - so they never kicked for touch (we had 5 lineouts to their 17)

It's clear they done their homework on Pascal and how he calls games - it is clear we didn't

In previous years it was clear they had a great plan to defuse our bombs

etc
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

blindcider wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:56 pm
Whats annoying is they never run decoy lines with Billy and he rarely offloads or passes before contact making it far easier for defences to target him. Okay you want your big carrier to carry but you also have to keep the opposition a bit unsure as to what you are going to do. England are so obvious in their tactics.
He’s not athletic enough to run dummy lines. He takes kick returns standing still rather than hammering it up off the receiver. England shouldn’t be trying to play him into fitness, it’s insane.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Spot on. And our heavy runners still look to take contact head on - there's no last second attempt to step a fraction to lessen the tacklers' impact. You can't do it every time but we never appear to do it.
piquant

Post by piquant »

eldanielfire wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:45 pm
piquant wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:39 pm

I think that's unjust. Yes Wales have experimented and did a bit of trial and error. But Wales now have a quite different defense, which is holding up well now compared with the porous cluster of last year. Also that attack is much different to Gatland's. Likewise Pivac has made Wales incredibly efficient in getting points when they hit the opposition third. Pivac has also seen a number of new players and seen how they can play. Yes he builds on a lot of the good work that Gatland installed in the team, but Wales has changed and are reaping benefits of the new style. Will it bring more success? We will see.

It's no perhaps complementary, but it's not unjust. Wales have, and we're in agreement here, excited well on chances, but they're not creating many chances, not even when getting loads of penalties and/or playing against 14, and England found it very easy to break their line last weekend, too easy tbh. Partly I think Wales struggled with (as noted) another new centre combo where one of the players isn't even a centre, so that's understandable. But none of it means we're really seeing results in how Wales are playing, we are seeing it in the results of the games they're playing, somehow the performances and the results aren't quite marrying up for them, though they'd perhaps take the results given the run they were on
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Agree. The thing is Billy is still enough of a carry threat (and I thought he carried well at the weekend) that he draws in defenders. He's perfect for being a decoy runner.

It seems a factor that works in Wales favour is Gethin Jeinken's has managed to return Wales defense back to Shaun Edwards intensity. Sure he plays a different system (that allows more yardage to opponents but is harder to get behind) that isn't yet perfected but he's got Wales happy to defend again and their scramble defense is back up tp top notch. The fact they are a work in progress means they'll be harder in future. This is where the Ford-Farrell axis can play well and be ineffective. England need a line breaker from midfield and they should really have Ford directing him into the right space. However Jones is addicted to Farrell's....whatever.....and won't consider anything else. Let's face it, the axis only really excels when there is that exceptional line breaker in Tuilagi, who is a once a generation force of nature who we have no idea will be fit when he's really needed. Nothing else has really worked with Faz at 12 and nothing ever works with Faz at 10.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Hawk97 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:20 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:20 pm We have superior athletes, they have better rugby players generally.
They're smarter. So much so that it evens the playing field (if you consider our talent or power is greater).

It's clear they realised we score a lot off lineouts - so they never kicked for touch (we had 5 lineouts to their 17)

It's clear they done their homework on Pascal and how he calls games - it is clear we didn't

etc
Agreed. Likewise Wales do their homework on the temperament of opposition players. Squidge also pointed out how Wales wound up Itoje all game (AWJ running lines to ensure he bumped into him around rucks, others kept him pinned a bit to longa nd other unseen shithousery) and let us not forget Sincklar 2 years ago. They appeared to have had success on both.

But I don't get it. I thought Jones was a stickler for looking at every angle for an edge. Is that a blind spot? I mean Faz has been a poor captain. How on earth Eddie Jones thinks Farrell doens't do anything but turn refs against England or annoy them I don't know. There was a reason BOD was chosen as Ireland captain over POC all those years ago. POC still functions as leader with the team, but having the right man speak to the referees just right is essential and O'Connells "passiun" was probably a turn off for refs compared with O'Driscols level headed calmness provided an edge. Warburton for the Lions being the ultimate example of that.

However if not Farrell then who? I'm not sold on Itoje as captain. There have been calls to make him England captain for years but while he'll lead by example he also seems reserved when not gearing up players. I know Martin Johnson had issues with being quiet, but he had a presence that is unmatched. But maybe captain could make Itoje. Who are the alternatives after all?
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

eldanielfire wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:00 am

etc
Agreed. Likewise Wales do their homework on the temperament of opposition players. Squidge also pointed out how Wales wound up Itoje all game (AWJ running lines to ensure he bumped into him around rucks, others kept him pinned a bit to longa nd other unseen shithousery) and let us not forget Sincklar 2 years ago. They appeared to have had success on both.

But I don't get it. I thought Jones was a stickler for looking at every angle for an edge. Is that a blind spot? I mean Faz has been a poor captain. How on earth Eddie Jones thinks Farrell doens't do anything but turn refs against England or annoy them I don't know. There was a reason BOD was chosen as Ireland captain over POC all those years ago. POC still functions as leader with the team, but having the right man speak to the referees just right is essential and O'Connells "passiun" was probably a turn off for refs compared with O'Driscols level headed calmness provided an edge. Warburton for the Lions being the ultimate example of that.

However if not Farrell then who? I'm not sold on Itoje as captain. There have been calls to make him England captain for years but while he'll lead by example he also seems reserved when not gearing up players. I know Martin Johnson had issues with being quiet, but he had a presence that is unmatched. But maybe captain could make Itoje. Who are the alternatives after all?
He wouldn't necessarily make my first choice XV but of Jones' preferred players I'd be tempted to go for Slade. Ford actually seems to do a lot of the on field leadership but I think it often gives 10's too much to think about.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

eldanielfire wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:00 am

etc

I mean...perhaps the last thing we need is another 'edge' with the amount of penalties we give away.

As for captain, it's a genuine issue. I think Curry is one in making, he does a lot of coaching of young players in camp that is unseen. He seems to speak softly too, more of a BOD than a POC in that sense if you like. Very young still though.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

I see that, once again, Odogwu hasn't been released back to Wasps this weekend. Can only hope that Eddie intends to play him next weekend - otherwise it makes zero sense. Not that many of Eddie's decsions make a lot more sense.
piquant

Post by piquant »

is the reason BOD was chosen over linked to the idea BOD was an established star (perhaps even superstar) and POC had only recently come into the side?
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

ovalball wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:19 pm I see that, once again, Odogwu hasn't been released back to Wasps this weekend. Can only hope that Eddie intends to play him next weekend - otherwise it makes zero sense. Not that many of Eddie's decsions make a lot more sense.
Weird. He absolutely won't play him for England, he won't even get the bench.

If he has Ford and Farrell starting (which he probably will), it will be a 6/2 split and the backs will have to be Robson and Malins

If he goes with Faz at 10, he puts Ford on the bench along with the above two. There is no place for Doggers.

What is he doing
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Hawk97 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:41 am
ovalball wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:19 pm I see that, once again, Odogwu hasn't been released back to Wasps this weekend. Can only hope that Eddie intends to play him next weekend - otherwise it makes zero sense. Not that many of Eddie's decsions make a lot more sense.
Weird. He absolutely won't play him for England, he won't even get the bench.

If he has Ford and Farrell starting (which he probably will), it will be a 6/2 split and the backs will have to be Robson and Malins

If he goes with Faz at 10, he puts Ford on the bench along with the above two. There is no place for Doggers.

What is he doing
covid bubble bollox
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

Bath Exeter on box

Interested to see how back rows face off - Faletau, Underhill, Mercer vs Ewers, Vermuelen, Simmonds is not a bad set of players, with two pacey, nimble 8s.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

inactionman wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:23 pm Bath Exeter on box

Interested to see how back rows face off - Faletau, Underhill, Mercer vs Ewers, Vermuelen, Simmonds is not a bad set of players, with two pacey, nimble 8s.
Good to see Underhill back in action - hopefully he'll be back in the England side next weekend.
marcopolio

Post by marcopolio »

Why isn't Ben Spencer in the England squad? And probably first choice at that.

Does Eddie hate him? I don't recall him getting a go at all

Secondary point, Joseph is such a good player. Offers so much more than Slade and is a defensive standout in the wide channel.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

You seeing the Gloucester game? Thorley sent off for a head on head collision. I'm not sure rugby is getting this right at all. Turning into a circus. Every game there's a red
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

ovalball wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:51 pm
inactionman wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:23 pm Bath Exeter on box

Good to see Underhill back in action - hopefully he'll be back in the England side next weekend.
Two turnovers already. Of course, they'd have been penalties in a white jersey, but still...great play as always
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

marcopolio wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:18 pm Why isn't Ben Spencer in the England squad? And probably first choice at that.

Secondary point, Joseph is such a good player. Offers so much more than Slade and is a defensive standout in the wide channel.
Spencer isn't in because he isn't loud enough. I posted a link last page I think.

Crazy, isn't it.
Winger_

Post by Winger_ »

Another try for Simmonds. He also uses footwork to beat players. Eddie is an idiot.
Short Man Syndrome

Sam Simmonds with his 44th try in 60 prem appearances. That is mental.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:48 pm Sam Simmonds with his 44th try in 60 prem appearances. That is mental.
Too short.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Hawk97 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:49 pm
Short Man Syndrome wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:48 pm Sam Simmonds with his 44th try in 60 prem appearances. That is mental.
Too short.
As a form player could imagine he's on Gatland's radar for the Lions whether he's wanted by Jones or not!
Short Man Syndrome

Too short.
Yes, but I’m stocky AF.

Seriously though, for someone who might not be considered a bulldozer, Simmonds is a wrecking ball from 5 yards out. By my maths, if he makes the same number of prem appearances as current all-time prem try-scorer Tom Varndell (92 tries in about 200 games, I think?) he should end up with about 150 tries.
marcopolio

Post by marcopolio »

Hawk97 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:39 pm
marcopolio wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:18 pm Why isn't Ben Spencer in the England squad? And probably first choice at that.

Spencer isn't in because he isn't loud enough. I posted a link last page I think.

Crazy, isn't it.
Wow.

That's just nuts.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

SaintK wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:55 pm
Too short.
As a form player could imagine he's on Gatland's radar for the Lions whether he's wanted by Jones or not!
You have to be able to match the saffas physically and there will be no place for him.
Short Man Syndrome

Simmonds like a bloody missile off that scrum. That sort of energy and pace in the 77th minute is freakish.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Hawk97 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:36 pm You seeing the Gloucester game? Thorley sent off for a head on head collision. I'm not sure rugby is getting this right at all. Turning into a circus. Every game there's a red
Easy red for the ref. Stop tackling bolt upright, too many unnecessary head clashes.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:00 pm
Too short.
Yes, but I’m stocky AF.

Seriously though, for someone who might not be considered a bulldozer, Simmonds is a wrecking ball from 5 yards out. By my maths, if he makes the same number of prem appearances as current all-time prem try-scorer Tom Varndell (92 tries in about 200 games, I think?) he should end up with about 150 tries.
Yeah, it's ludicrous that he isn't in the squad. Defends pretty well too
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

DragsterDriver wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:00 pm
Hawk97 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:36 pm You seeing the Gloucester game? Thorley sent off for a head on head collision. I'm not sure rugby is getting this right at all. Turning into a circus. Every game there's a red
Easy red for the ref. Stop tackling bolt upright, too many unnecessary head clashes.
There's loads of tackles like that, especially from kicks. They're reffing on an outcome basis, and I think that's wrong. It was an accidental head collision
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

One good thing about Simmonds is that he hasn't got a Scottish or Welsh granny or a 4th aunt twice removed or something. They'd have snapped him up years ago and he'd be getting on toward his 50th cap, with a few wins over England along the way.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Hawk97 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:13 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:00 pm
There's loads of tackles like that, especially from kicks. They're reffing on an outcome basis, and I think that's wrong. It was an accidental head collision
Make a tackle, not headbutt the ball carrier. It’s not even controversial.