**OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Rowdy

Re: **OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

Post by Rowdy »

Rugby2023 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:02 pm Ben Youngs rules himself out of the Lions tour, will help extend his England career. :)
Oh good.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Rowdy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:37 pm
Rugby2023 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:02 pm Ben Youngs rules himself out of the Lions tour, will help extend his England career. :)
Oh good.
It’s over for both Youngs brothers and Cole at tigers I think.
Balls Out!

Post by Balls Out! »

Whatever people (including me, quite often) say about Ben Youngs, I've got mad respect for him for ruling himself out of potentially 2 Lions tours to support his family. And also an incredible story that his sister in law was told she had a month to live, and then ends up getting the all-clear
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Balls Out! wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:10 pm
Whatever people (including me, quite often) say about Ben Youngs, I've got mad respect for him for ruling himself out of potentially 2 Lions tours to support his family. And also an incredible story that his sister in law was told she had a month to live, and then ends up getting the all-clear
Bet he wished he’d gone on tour.
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy »

DragsterDriver wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:27 pm
He must have been fuming.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Rowdy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:05 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:27 pm
He must have been fuming.
There is also the fact that people who have the support of friends and family are statistically more likely to survive.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

That lions squad is weird...

How is he picking Daly and Hill? Both dropped even by us
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Hawk97 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:57 pm That lions squad is weird...

How is he picking Daly and Hill? Both dropped even by us
I always assume that a Lions coach thinks they can be used in a different way to their national coach, e.g. Daly tot eh wing rather than 15. Or they are seen as good tourists and/or good dirt trackers.
Winger_

Post by Winger_ »

Largely ok but some weird selections there and some very fortunate people to be on the tour.

I would probably just have taken Itoje and George from the Sarries lads. We all knew Faz was going but still disappointing. Daly and Mako are very lucky.

WTF Picks

Harris is just an average centre with little attacking threat, how he gets in ahead of Slade and Ringrose is beyond me.

Aki- just goes to show how poor the depth is at centre.

Hill - plays well for Exeter but has been poor for England.

Left out

Slade - should definitely be in there
Underhill- less clear cut as Tipuric and Watson are excellent but few better tacklers in world rugby
Navidi - similar to Underhill and very unlucky.

Glad to see Simmonds in there and is a big fudge you to Eddie. He should be a bench option for the tests as would offer something different.
Taking Smith would have been brilliant also but Gats is safety first and had to take Farrell as insurance alongside Biggar.
Would like to see Russell start at 10 but that ain't going to happen.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

Anon,

You must be confounded that a backrow who 'can't take on a man in contact' has been picked....by Gatland...to face the Boks!

eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Winger_ wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:18 pm Largely ok but some weird selections there and some very fortunate people to be on the tour.

I would probably just have taken Itoje and George from the Sarries lads. We all knew Faz was going but still disappointing. Daly and Mako are very lucky.
A good comment in Twitter said something like "I never thought I'd see the day when 5 Championship players were picked for the Lions" :lol:
Petej

Post by Petej »

Winger_ wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:18 pm Largely ok but some weird selections there and some very fortunate people to be on the tour.

WTF Picks

Harris is just an average centre with little attacking threat, how he gets in ahead of Slade and Ringrose is beyond me.

Left out

Underhill- less clear cut as Tipuric and Watson are excellent but few better tacklers in world rugby

Glad to see Simmonds in there and is a big fudge you to Eddie. He should be a bench option for the tests as would offer something different.
Taking Smith would have been brilliant also but Gats is safety first and had to take Farrell as insurance alongside Biggar.
Farrell isn't insurance at 10, he is a liability. Ford has played to a higher standard in the last year than Farrell and it sounds like Smith has as well. Gatland and Jones (multiple times) have gone around this before and had to put sexton and ford in, respectively.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Hawk97 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:14 pm Anon,

You must be confounded that a backrow who 'can't take on a man in contact' has been picked....by Gatland...to face the Boks!

I've got no problem with Gatland picking him. We better have a dominant scrum though because if he tries to carry from the base they will eat him alive
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

I'd pick Daly tbh, I've hated him starting at full-back but he's a high quality test wing who can play 13 and cover 15 for mid-weekers. He looked good off the bench in the latter half of the 6N and can kick field goals from his own half.

Jonny Hill is a more strange call, underwhelmed at test level to date.

Would've taken Sinckler and Marler but can see the argument they don't deserve it.
Winger_

Post by Winger_ »

Petej wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:27 pm

WTF Picks

Left out

Farrell isn't insurance at 10, he is a liability. Ford has played to a higher standard in the last year than Farrell and it sounds like Smith has as well. Gatland and Jones (multiple times) have gone around this before and had to put sexton and ford in, respectively.
I'm no Farrell fan but they always seem to selext or shoehorn him into the side at 12. He shouldnt be going, Ford and Smith are in much better form and better 10's for me.
Winger_

Post by Winger_ »

eldanielfire wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:13 pm

A good comment in Twitter said something like "I never thought I'd see the day when 5 Championship players were picked for the Lions" :lol:
It's a weird situation for sure. Ironically, Billy had a couple of better games towards the end of the 6 nations and not picked.
It's commendable that they stayed with Sarries but arguably none of them except for Itoje ( who was a penalty magnet) have really put their hand up with recent international performances.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

Winger_ wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:49 pm I'm no Farrell fan but they always seem to selext or shoehorn him into the side at 12. He shouldnt be going, Ford and Smith are in much better form and better 10's for me.
Farrell's there for his goal-kicking, I think Biggar is the only other top-line goal-kicker in the squad.

Between them Farrell & Daly kicked the Lions a series draw in NZ, Gatland will be hoping they go one better in SA.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:52 pm
Hawk97 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:14 pm Anon,

I've got no problem with Gatland picking him. We better have a dominant scrum though because if he tries to carry from the base they will eat him alive
They're going to eat that Lions team alive
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

Navidi and Underhill over Conan and Tipuric

Sinckler over Fagerson or Porter (how the fück is he not going? Seriously?)

I wouldn't have Hill at all. Gray or Ryan I guess.

Ford over Farrell

Care over Price

Slade over Aki and/or Harris

I kind of get Daly due to positional versatility, but he's been terrible. Especially defensively.

For me.

3-0 Boks
45jumper

Post by 45jumper »

My thoughts on Daly are pretty clear and I'm sick of whinging about him.
I'm more disappointed for Ford and May to be honest. They're both consistently excellent for England but I can't really recall them even being mentioned as possibilities. Ford definitely suffers for being in Farrell's shadow (despite, IMO, being a better 10 than him) and May just doesn't get the credit he deserves, his aerial and finishing ability are remarkable. I'm certain he'd do better than Duhan whose defensive work is scratchy at the very best. Given he's 31 this is his last chance as well, a player of his quality deserves to have been on tour.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Looking forward to this tour even though Eddie and Warren have gutted English participation. Really intrigued to see how they use Simmonds
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:44 am Looking forward to this tour even though Eddie and Warren have gutted English participation. Really intrigued to see how they use Simmonds
Hoping he shows something that catches Eddie's eye.

Above and beyond being European player of year and starter for the reigning European and Premiership champions, of course.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

inactionman wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:08 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:44 am Looking forward to this tour even though Eddie and Warren have gutted English participation. Really intrigued to see how they use Simmonds
Hoping he shows something that catches Eddie's eye.

Above and beyond being European player of year and starter for the reigning European and Premiership champions, of course.
He plays for a dominent side and his highlight videos are full of him doing what I want to see from a centre. At international level the opposition are generally bigger stronger faster and I think the saffas are likely to ragdoll him
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Rugby2023 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:10 am
Winger_ wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:49 pm I'm no Farrell fan but they always seem to selext or shoehorn him into the side at 12. He shouldnt be going, Ford and Smith are in much better form and better 10's for me.
Farrell's there for his goal-kicking, I think Biggar is the only other top-line goal-kicker in the squad.

Between them Farrell & Daly kicked the Lions a series draw in NZ, Gatland will be hoping they go one better in SA.
Farrell is also there as back-up captain if something happens to AWJ IMO. There aren't a huge amount of natural/experienced leaders in that squad (Ken Owens would be the other). I'm convinced that Gatlands planned backline is going to be Biggar, Faz, Henshaw
Woddy

Post by Woddy »

It's going to be tough enough beating the Boks as it is. There is no need to handicap ourselves further by giving Farrell any leadership role on the field.

Don't mind him holding tacklebags though. If he pays enough attention, he might notice what the others are doing with their arms.

Ford should be there as the back-up to both Biggar and Russell, given that he can control a game and also throw passes.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

blindcider wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:18 pm
Rugby2023 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:10 am

Farrell is also there as back-up captain if something happens to AWJ IMO. There aren't a huge amount of natural/experienced leaders in that squad (Ken Owens would be the other). I'm convinced that Gatlands planned backline is going to be Biggar, Faz, Henshaw
Funny enough I was going to post 10-12 could well be Biggar-Faz and Henshaw is surely the obvious center in form to go with it.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I’m really happy with Biggar anyway, great player, hard as nails.

On BT now, northern saffas v midland saffas.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

DragsterDriver wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:48 pm I’m really happy with Biggar anyway, great player, hard as nails.

Yeah, gets an unfairly tough time from the fickle Welshies because he isn't Barry John
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

:proud:
blindcider wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:54 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:48 pm I’m really happy with Biggar anyway, great player, hard as nails.

Yeah, gets an unfairly tough time from the fickle Welshies because he isn't Barry John
He can play a bit as well, just a really good rugby player.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

Great player and great lad.

Big cricket afficionado
Front Row

Post by Front Row »

Hard to believe Henry Slade just scored his first try of the season.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

Rugby has really dropped off the radar for me since the start of the pandemic. I will try to get back into it with the Lions but about as inspired and up for it as England were in the 6N.
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy »

Never mind the Lions - who's going to be playing vs USA and Canada? Will Eddy select some fresh talent, or will Billy V be appointed captain?
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

I'm guessing Simmonds was selected for the Lions on the basis that he could potentially play the Tom Croft role from 09

But I don't see it, he's going to be dirt tracking for the whole tour, this won't affect his England hopes one bit
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Rowdy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:51 pm Never mind the Lions - who's going to be playing vs USA and Canada? Will Eddy select some fresh talent, or will Billy V be appointed captain?
Id be amazed if he gives people the chance to push their claim.
Petros

Post by Petros »

well Eddie will have to pick some locks from somewhere. The Lions have Itoje, lawes and Hill whicle Launch is injured.

That should give Ribbans a chance. Ewels will presumably feature but who else?
piquant

Post by piquant »

Hill could be this year's Crane
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Accidental
45jumper

Post by 45jumper »

Petros wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:19 am well Eddie will have to pick some locks from somewhere. The Lions have Itoje, lawes and Hill whicle Launch is injured.

That should give Ribbans a chance. Ewels will presumably feature but who else?
Beaumont's been superb for us since coming back from injury. Unfortunately he went off on Friday with what looked a potentially bad ankle injury :(
There's also an England 'A' match the week before the two tests. I imagine Eddie will pick a few kids for that before reverting to the likes of Youngs and Billy for the tests. x(