**OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
ovalball

Re: **OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

Post by ovalball »

Madness wrote:The win was a bit like a one night stand, enjoyable at the time but afterwards you feel a little strange and not sure what to really think about the whole experience!

Do worry that simply bullying Ireland into mistakes has given Eddie carte blanche to pick as much random shit as possible. If we can do that to Ireland with that team what would we have done with a proper back row (Lawes was good today), with all players playing in their best positions.
Yep - such a win may not do us any favours.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Madness wrote:The win was a bit like a one night stand, enjoyable at the time but afterwards you feel a little strange and not sure what to really think about the whole experience!
I suppose the ones who watched it back later on - I'm looking at you Croyals - are the lads who had a shower with their right hand held above their head to preserve the smell of minge, so they could smell it and have a tug later.
BecomingtheMoon

Post by BecomingtheMoon »

I thought Marler was exceptional today. He took Furlong's legs in the scrum and put himself about in the loose, all the while looking like a man serving double-life in jail for a triple homicide
croyals

Post by croyals »

fatcat wrote:
I suppose the ones who watched it back later on - I'm looking at you Croyals - are the lads who had a shower with their right hand held above their head to preserve the smell of minge, so they could smell it and have a tug later.
Ahh uni. Good times...
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

BecomingtheMoon wrote:I thought Marler was exceptional today. He took Furlong's legs in the scrum and put himself about in the loose, all the while looking like a man serving double-life in jail for a triple homicide
He did appear to be absolutely everywhere today, probably my imagination.

Also wanted to be a poundshop Tyson Fury lookalike by all accounts.
Joost

Post by Joost »

Just looking at the espn stats from the game: 24 tackles from Underhill :shock: Reckon a good proportion of them would've been dominant tackles as well

Itoje with 17 and Farrell with 16; pretty much tells the story of the England defensive 'net' shutting down Ireland's midfield. Most of the other stats are pretty unremarkable tbh.
crash 669

Post by crash 669 »

Definitely feeling like England got away with another crap selection by out enthusing their opposition (who totally shat the bed). With a decent 9, 12,8 and a back 3 made up of back 3 players we should have seen a score like in the RWC warm up. At the minute players like Ford and Joseph are playing well in spite of the team around them, rather than because the side works.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

crash 669 wrote:Definitely feeling like England got away with another crap selection by out enthusing their opposition (who totally shat the bed). With a decent 9, 12,8 and a back 3 made up of back 3 players we should have seen a score like in the RWC warm up. At the minute players like Ford and Joseph are playing well in spite of the team around them, rather than because the side works.
Yeah, it feels like England are a selection of very decent and motivated individuals who perform in spite of selection and tactics. It's a get the best guys (in EJ's view) out there rather than getting the best balanced team out there or even the best guy for each position.

Case in point is Lawes, its very difficult to justify him ahead of Kruis or Itoje yet he is very destructive in defence and carrying reasonably well. Without a top quality 8 in the squad then why not play him at 6?

The issue with this selection style is that when it goes wrong it goes badly wrong as players default to learnt behaviour under pressure and then having 5 centres and 5 second row on the pitch leaves gaps and forces errors.

Didn't understand yesterday when Ewels came on why they didn't put him in the second row and push Itoje to the flank where at least he has played before.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Eddie is being deliberately antagonistic toward the press and the fans. Simple as that, expect him to triple down next week. Ewels to 8 with Earl on the pitch is just that.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

DragsterDriver wrote:Eddie is being deliberately antagonistic toward the press and the fans. Simple as that, expect him to triple down next week. Ewels to 8 with Earl on the pitch is just that.
Towards the press yes, but only in interviews. I think he is genuinely doing what he thinks is best.
sockwithaticket

Post by sockwithaticket »

DragsterDriver wrote:Eddie is being deliberately antagonistic toward the press and the fans. Simple as that, expect him to triple down next week. Ewels to 8 with Earl on the pitch is just that.
Tbf, that only seemed to be on defensive scrums. Earl seemed to be playing openside there, which makes sense as his superior speed coming off the scrum in that position is more useful for shutting down attackers. It's a choice only made necessary by not picking enough back rowers, but there was some logic to it.
Joost

Post by Joost »

sockwithaticket wrote:
Tbf, that only seemed to be on defensive scrums. Earl seemed to be playing openside there, which makes sense as his superior speed coming off the scrum in that position is more useful for shutting down attackers. It's a choice only made necessary by not picking enough back rowers, but there was some logic to it.
...and also more weight/power coming through the middle at 8 from the 18st Ewels (rather than 16st Earl) - hard to argue with how the England scrum went in the second half!
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

So all the nauses on here were wrong about Eddie's selections of Joseph, Lawes and Curry?

Eddie Jones knows more about rugby than people on the Internet?

Fancy that!

:lol:
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Celts out of this thread please.
sockwithaticket

MrDominator wrote:So all the nauses on here were wrong about Eddie's selections of Joseph, Lawes and Curry?

Fancy that!

Alternatively, the players are good enough to overcome the handicap of Eddie's odd selections.

Also, to paraphrase that internet meme: fuck off and once you get there, fuck off some more.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

MrDominator wrote:So all the nauses on here were wrong about Eddie's selections of Joseph, Lawes and Curry?

Fancy that!

You can’t legislate for Ireland, in appointing big Farrell and Catt they brought a fart to a shitfight.
Joost

Post by Joost »

Margin_Walker wrote:TRP today has Earl and Malins to Bristol as pretty much done deals.
Same with Cam Redpath, Ben Spencer and Will Spencer to Bath
Gloucester and Leicester in for Singleton
Redpath just confirmed by Bath :thumbup:

Re Bath signings, I see a promising, English, LI wing scored a double-brace at the weekend... :)
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

Saint wrote:
ovalball wrote:Still worries me that, with all that dominance, we still relied on a couple of lucky bounces and a pushover try. After that 1st half we should have pulled away in the 2nd half but there was precious little from our backs and we failed to create any overlaps out wide. And our Backrow didn't link too well with the backs to help them be more effective.
I'm not sure you can judge the effectiveness of our back row link play when Youngs is playing at SH
Youngs had a better game yesterday, faster service, quicker to the breakdown, accurate box kicking, and of course the grubber leading to the try. Still like to see him test the opposition backrow on the gain line more.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

sockwithaticket wrote:

Fancy that!

Alternatively, the players are good enough to overcome the handicap of Eddie's odd selections.

Also, to paraphrase that internet meme: fuck off and once you get there, fuck off some more.
I wouldn't worry too much about MrD, who was on record decrying Jones' decision to pick Curry at 8 over Dombrandt but somehow seems to have forgotten this in his haste to land any kind of blow. Shame he's more CJ Stander than Tyson Fury.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

I feared we were in for a Youngs shit salad after he butchered that try with a horror pass to Lawes but he went fine after that, good decision making and kicking as well. Agree he needs to rediscover a running game to really help out his backs, you don't need to be lightning quick to keep teams honest.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

Armchair ride for Youngs with the forwards heavily on top, just as they were against Scotland when he came on. Still wasn't over impressed, he's just not sharp enough imo. I would have liked to have seen Heinz start the game to see what he could do. He is a much snappier No.9, unfortunately it's likely we won't for the remainder of this tournament.
blindcider wrote:
Towards the press yes, but only in interviews. I think he is genuinely doing what he thinks is best.
Yes, he's just trying to win. It's all he, or indeed any test coach, cares about. For now, he sees shoehorning players is a means to that end. He got the win, so will argue it worked, but not nailing the BP was criminal imo. Needed to keep the pressure on France.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Joost wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:TRP today has Earl and Malins to Bristol as pretty much done deals.

Re Bath signings, I see a promising, English, LI wing scored a double-brace at the weekend... :)
Redpath with immediate effect too.

Yeah, Hassell-Collins has surprised me this season. Thought he'd always be overshadowed by some of the other youngsters we have (Loader, Parton, Williams etc). He played a bit in the Championship when we were short on wings and looked biggish, quickish and not a huge amount else. Was also only on the fringes of the U20s set up, having got a small amount of 6N game time and a late unused JWC injury call up.

He still doesn't have the all round game of a guy like Loader, but he's improved massively. Works very hard on the pitch, strong in contact, runs great support lines and has proved very durable where others have picked up injuries.

Contracted for next season, so Bath will have to wait a little longer.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Hassell-Collins has surprised everyone. I thought he’d be exposed in the Premiership but he’s really taken the step-up in his stride and has done brilliantly.
Backwoodsman1

Post by Backwoodsman1 »

Those who watched the U20's game and the main game , how do you explain the fact that the U20's Irish looked to have a better game plan and execution ?
I recall the commentator saying that the U20's coach worked with Lancaster at Leinster and the U20's were effectively coached in the Leinster style that Lancaster is implementing !
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Backwoodsman1 wrote:Those who watched the U20's game and the main game , how do you explain the fact that the U20's Irish looked to have a better game plan and execution ?
I recall the commentator saying that the U20's coach worked with Lancaster at Leinster and the U20's were effectively coached in the Leinster style that Lancaster is implementing !
Was a very good Irish performance to be fair. Best I've ever seen them play at that level and they would have blown most teams away. They were quick and relentless.

That combined with it not being a vintage Eng crop, us never being that hot in the 6N and the back room setup being de funded a bit is probably responsible.
sockwithaticket

Redpath is the second youngster Sale've lost/released not even midway through a long term deal recently following the announcement that Sam Moore's off to Cardiff. The with immediate effect is different, though.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

sockwithaticket wrote:Redpath is the second youngster Sale've lost/released not even midway through a long term deal recently following the announcement that Sam Moore's off to Cardiff. The with immediate effect is different, though.
Neither of them like biltong I hear
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

Joost wrote:

I've heard Burns is on his way, assume retaining Priestland? Would presumably still put Redpath second-fiddle....
sockwithaticket

JM2K6 wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:Redpath is the second youngster Sale've lost/released not even midway through a long term deal recently following the announcement that Sam Moore's off to Cardiff. The with immediate effect is different, though.
Neither of them like biltong I hear
Yeah, given Moore and Redpath's positions, the presence of the du Preez clan can't be unrelated to the news.
Joost

Post by Joost »

inactionman wrote:
Joost wrote:

I've heard Burns is on his way, assume retaining Priestland? Would presumably still put Redpath second-fiddle....
Thought Redpath was more a centre than a 10?
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

Joost wrote:
inactionman wrote:
Joost wrote:

I've had a look and you are right, for some reason I thought I saw him play at 10 for Sale - it's either my poor old brain or he was at flyhalf off the bench and out of position, or I've muddled him horribly with Hastings. Most likely my poor old brain.
Joost

Post by Joost »

inactionman wrote:
Joost wrote:
inactionman wrote:
Joost wrote:

I've had a look and you are right, for some reason I thought I saw him play at 10 for Sale - it's either my poor old brain or he was at flyhalf off the bench and out of position, or I've muddled him horribly with Hastings. Most likely my poor old brain.
Burns to Wasps is the rumour I think, which would make some sense - shame he's not really taken-off at Bath, as he had looked excellent for Tigers before the move. Not sure if Bath are planning to recruit or if they'll throw de Glanville Jr in at 10
sockwithaticket

Yeah, we're losing both Sopoaga and Searle, so would potentially just have Umaga as I'm not sure if Gopperth is carrying on playing past this season. Miller can cover in a pinch, but that's it really.

Think Burns would like our playing ambition too (even if it's not always effective...)
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

sockwithaticket wrote:Yeah, we're losing both Sopoaga and Searle, so would potentially just have Umaga as I'm not sure if Gopperth is carrying on playing past this season. Miller can cover in a pinch, but that's it really.

Think Burns would like our playing ambition too (even if it's not always effective...)
His form has really gone backwards at Bath. Perhaps the move will kick-start his career?
In other Wasps news I have heard from one of his close friends that Joe Worsley has thrown his hat into the ring for the DoR vacancy at Wasps. Not sure how qualified he is but had some experience at Bordeaux when he temporarily took over from Ibanez
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Redpath is permacrock.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

SaintK wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:Yeah, we're losing both Sopoaga and Searle, so would potentially just have Umaga as I'm not sure if Gopperth is carrying on playing past this season. Miller can cover in a pinch, but that's it really.

His form has really gone backwards at Bath. Perhaps the move will kick-start his career?
In other Wasps news I have heard from one of his close friends that Joe Worsley has thrown his hat into the ring for the DoR vacancy at Wasps. Not sure how qualified he is but had some experience at Bordeaux when he temporarily took over from Ibanez
Worsley isn't a new rumour, but also definitely not a crazy one.
Joost

Post by Joost »

DragsterDriver wrote:Redpath is permacrock.
He’ll be the ideal replacement for Roberts then :blush:
Nabberuk

Post by Nabberuk »

https://twitter.com/Smallclone_/status/ ... 78784?s=19

Wondering if gates are different in Ireland...
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

They had a spell of signing youngsters on 5 year contracts. It’s great if it works, but players don’t all develop at the same pace.

In Moore’s case, he was never going to get past the plethora of top class back row players Sale have and his eligibility for Wales was always going to make a move to one of the regions pretty likely.

The press release on Redpath made it very clear that he was pushing for the move rather than Sale actively looking to let him go and the fact that Bath were prepared to pay a six figure sum to buy out his contract would have made that decision a lot easier.

Like Moore, he’s had a lot of hype without really doing anything to justify it so far (Luke James has been far more impressive IMO). Hopefully he comes good at Bath as we could definitely do with some good 12s coming through.
tc27

Post by tc27 »

I kmow its old ground here but watching the prem highlights..Mercer and Dombrandt both looked like they were playing very well.

Would love to see either of them teaming up with the Kamikaze twins.