Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 10:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2162, 2163, 2164, 2165, 2166  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:11 am 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Might get some views out of those truly in Premiership withdrawal, but I can't say it sounds appealing. I'm clearly not desperate enough yet.

They won’t be staying on 75% wages long.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:14 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:
No junior rugby until a vaccine or an effective treatment. If that’s correct rugby is pretty much done for.

Where does it say that?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:22 am 

Raggs wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
No junior rugby until a vaccine or an effective treatment. If that’s correct rugby is pretty much done for.

Where does it say that?

That’s the jist of it. When do you think 36 strangers will be able to share sweat?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:33 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Raggs wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

Where does it say that?

That’s the jist of it. When do you think 36 strangers will be able to share sweat?

First weekend in September :o

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:34 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Raggs wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

Where does it say that?

Touch and tag might still be doable.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:35 am 

Joost wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2020/05/06/rfu-working-plans-no-scrums-tackles-shorter-matches-post-lockdown/

Can anybody copy and paste this?

Top tip to get round the telegraph paywall - reload the page, the whole page will briefly appear, hit ctrl+A to copy all, copy and paste to word (or PR)

You’re welcome

Not for me. Still behind a paywall when I copy all or I'm not pressing ctrl+A fast enough!!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:36 am 

All carrying a 2m foam hand? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:50 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Raggs wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

Where does it say that?

I've just walked the dog round the local cemetery. The cruising action seemed to have abated over recent weeks but seems to be coming back into fashion.

So, in answer to your question, certain gentlemen would say now.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:51 am 

happyhooker wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Raggs wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

Where does it say that?

I've just walked the dog round the local cemetery. The cruising action seemed to have abated over recent weeks but seems to be coming back into fashion.

So, in answer to your question, certain gentlemen would say now.

:lol: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:11 pm 

Sorry to bring up rugby :P

Kvesic to Worcester confirmed.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:44 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Sorry to bring up rugby :P

Kvesic to Worcester confirmed.

Full circle and still only 28!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:47 pm 

Excellent article by Kitson in The Guardian worth a read.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2020/may/13/english-youth-rugby-obsession-size-stunts-progress

Very interesting comments from Mike Umaga and very true
Quote:
Specifically, Umaga thinks English rugby has a problem with size. Ask him if the English “pathway” is tricky to negotiate, even for the gifted, and he speaks from the heart.
“Tricky is a bit of an understatement. It was tough for Jacob and ourselves as parents,” says the former Halifax league and Rotherham union player whose son switched from Leicester’s academy to Wasps in 2016. “Jacob was always deemed to be too small. At both Leicester and Wasps they said: ‘He needs to be bigger,’ and tried to put some unnecessary weight on him.”
Umaga’s polite response was that, given his genes, Jacob would probably turn out fine, not least because his July birthday put him at a disadvantage. “I’d say to coaches: ‘You can always add some poundage but the body needs to grow naturally as well. If myself and his uncle are anything to go by, he will grow.’”

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:54 pm 

SaintK wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2020/may/13/english-youth-rugby-obsession-size-stunts-progress

Quote:
Specifically, Umaga thinks English rugby has a problem with size. Ask him if the English “pathway” is tricky to negotiate, even for the gifted, and he speaks from the heart.
“Tricky is a bit of an understatement. It was tough for Jacob and ourselves as parents,” says the former Halifax league and Rotherham union player whose son switched from Leicester’s academy to Wasps in 2016. “Jacob was always deemed to be too small. At both Leicester and Wasps they said: ‘He needs to be bigger,’ and tried to put some unnecessary weight on him.”
Umaga’s polite response was that, given his genes, Jacob would probably turn out fine, not least because his July birthday put him at a disadvantage. “I’d say to coaches: ‘You can always add some poundage but the body needs to grow naturally as well. If myself and his uncle are anything to go by, he will grow.’”

But Jacob got a pass with his name, as always in English rugby. I agree there’s plenty of time for players to juice up, but he’s kind of missed the point.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:57 pm 

SaintK wrote:

Quote:

Surely not, I thought. but it is a good piece :shock:
This is also incredibly telling and makes you wonder how much amazing talent is being missed:
Quote:
After being involved in the game at all levels as a player, coach, parent and agent, Sigley has a keen nose for such injustice. In particular, he tells of an assistant academy manager at a Premiership club who, at a trial, ignored all the smaller, skilful players and instead picked the biggest lads for the next stage of the developing player programme.

The explanation given – “I can make big lads into rugby players, but I can’t make good players bigger” – infuriates Sigley even now. “For me he is the antichrist of rugby and everything that is wrong. It’s a good job Damian McKenzie didn’t grow up where I live.”

Of course you can't make someone get bigger, but they might get there all by themselves if you wait 'til 18 -20 rather than trying to sign them at 14/15.

Last edited by sockwithaticket on Wed May 13, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:29 pm 

Would have been a better article if he'd gotten a POV from a few academy coaches.

Was listening to a podcast this morning where a couple of LI academy coaches (Jack Pattinson/Jonathan Fisher) were interviewing the Saints head of academy (Mark Hopley). They briefly discussed Kitson's piece from a week or two ago and offered a bit of a counter point to it.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:34 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Would have been a better article if he'd gotten a POV from a few academy coaches.

Was listening to a podcast this morning where a couple of LI academy coaches (Jack Pattinson/Jonathan Fisher) were interviewing the Saints head of academy (Mark Hopley). They briefly discussed Kitson's piece from a week or two ago and offered a bit of a counter point to it.

What did they say?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:42 pm 

Raggs wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

What did they say?

Talked about the amount of work they put into the kids at U18s that are unlikely to pick up pro contracts and the opportunities that having been part of the set up can bring etc.

There will always be issues, but it feels like Kitson should probably talk to some of these guys too as part of his crusade.

It's actually a really interesting podcast if you're into coaching discussions. They've had Neal Hatley talking about the WC campaign and working with Eddie, Paul Hodgson, a couple of academy football coaches from Fulham and Chelsea. Latest one is with Brendan Venter.

Called the Jack and Fish Breakfast Show. It's on Spotify, Apple, Google etc.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1059754

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:29 am 

Sale broke ranks and started training this week.

Seems likely they got bored of the waiting and just decided to do it themselves. Only light training.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:50 am 

Have the pro14 sold out to cvc?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:14 pm 

I see Lansdown is being predictably bullish in the Times today about any change to the salary cap. Clubs need to adapt or die etc

I know it's all about self interest as it suits Bristol with unlimited funds at their disposal, but I can't think that too many fans actually want to see a league where only 3 or four clubs are actually viable as a result of super rich owners and the rest are on a white knuckle ride financially. The wages to revenue ratio is just mad. If some big name players piss off to France or Japan and we aren't competitive in the Champion's cup, who cares. I'd much rather watch a league that was at least notionally sustainable.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:02 pm 

Bragacens?
Bristens?

They’re spending like Brewsters Millions and need reining in sharpish.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:08 pm 

I heard on one of the various pods that 10 of the 13 PRL mmebers are required to vote for the recommended salary cap reforms. I can't think of anyone who would join Lansdown in his stance, even Bruce Craig can't hope to match him in a pay to win contest, so you'd think he's pissing in the wind given the reported state of most clubs' finances.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:39 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
I heard on one of the various pods that 10 of the 13 PRL mmebers are required to vote for the recommended salary cap reforms. I can't think of anyone who would join Lansdown in his stance, even Bruce Craig can't hope to match him in a pay to win contest, so you'd think he's pissing in the wind given the reported state of most clubs' finances.

Yeah, that's the number I've seen too. Getting four clubs to rebel wouldn't actually surprise me. Would just take Bristol, Bath, Exeter and one other for example to kill any reform. Whilst Bruce Craig can't match Lansdown, he can more than cover the current losses. Exeter are doing okay under the current arrangement. I guess we'll see.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:21 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:

Of course Craig can match him. None of these guys are going to spend any significant amount of their personal fortunes, just put in a much bigger amount than most other clubs can manage. Craig, Wray, Landsdown, etc all have spending power way beyond the means of other clubs' owners without blinking.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:34 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:

Yeah, that's the number I've seen too. Getting four clubs to rebel wouldn't actually surprise me. Would just take Bristol, Bath, Exeter and one other for example to kill any reform. Whilst Bruce Craig can't match Lansdown, he can more than cover the current losses. Exeter are doing okay under the current arrangement. I guess we'll see.

Exeter are ostensibly doing better than anyone on the financial side and better than most on the pitch, but they were doing better with the former before the cap increases and marquee players.

I really would like to think that no more than 3 clubs are short sighted or self-interested enough to see that the status quo shouldn't be preserved.

JM2K6 wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:

Of course Craig can match him. None of these guys are going to spend any significant amount of their personal fortunes, just put in a much bigger amount than most other clubs can manage. Craig, Wray, Landsdown, etc all have spending power way beyond the means of other clubs' owners without blinking.

0.2% of Lansdown's fortune is bigger than the equivalent from Craig. If Craig wants to go all out on marquee players and everything except player salary, Lansdown can out-spend if he wants to.

In other news, Wasps have been announcing a bunch of contract extensions. Most notably Willis, Gopperth and Young. Pleasantly surprised by the latter as I thought he might want to go elsewhere given the situation with his dad.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:35 pm 

Landsdown is not going to start spending more than Bruce Craig can afford. That's crazy talk. No way he starts matching Premiership football for spending.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:39 pm 

I'd love to know much Exeter get from Rowe in terms of sponsorship and compare that to other clubs primary sponsor.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:51 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Landsdown is not going to start spending more than Bruce Craig can afford. That's crazy talk. No way he starts matching Premiership football for spending.

Why not? For these wealthy men owning the club is at least part vanity and as we've seen with Wray and Craig's involvement in pushing the cap up, they clearly view spending more than rivals as a route to success.

I don't think Lansdown would have to go as far as Prem football figures for Craig to go 'Ah, he can more than match me. Bugger.'

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:06 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

Why not? For these wealthy men owning the club is at least part vanity and as we've seen with Wray and Craig's involvement in pushing the cap up, they clearly view spending more than rivals as a route to success.

I don't think Lansdown would have to go as far as Prem football figures for Craig to go 'Ah, he can more than match me. Bugger.'

Why on earth would Lansdown start spending premiership football wages and transfer fees? What would be the point? No-one else is going to bother, including the other rich owners.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:20 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

Why on earth would Lansdown start spending premiership football wages and transfer fees? What would be the point? No-one else is going to bother, including the other rich owners.

Who said anything about transfer fees? Those fall under the cap. I don't think for a minute he's going to start flouting that, at least not with the Sarries precedent so recent.

The only area where it would be his money vs. Craig's directly is marquee players - for so long as they remain a thing - and, as I said, he wouldn't need to go to the Prem football level.

He can also afford to do more than most in the realm of ancillary benefits for players should he so wish, in which Saracens are actually a good example; team outings, club creche, absolutely state of the art everything in terms of training facilities

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:46 am 

sockwithaticket wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

Who said anything about transfer fees? Those fall under the cap. I don't think for a minute he's going to start flouting that, at least not with the Sarries precedent so recent.

The only area where it would be his money vs. Craig's directly is marquee players - for so long as they remain a thing - and, as I said, he wouldn't need to go to the Prem football level.

He can also afford to do more than most in the realm of ancillary benefits for players should he so wish, in which Saracens are actually a good example; team outings, club creche, absolutely state of the art everything in terms of training facilities

Yes - but that's exactly the sort of thing that Craig has already done!

All I'm saying is that a certain level of wealth makes it irrelevant. Craig has less money than Lansdown but when it comes to paying marquee players it doesn't matter. Uber rich people are a different breed but they hate wasting money just like everyone else; Lansdown isn't suddenly going to pay Charles Piutau £500k a week, and Craig can match any "reasonable" wage level he'd offer, even if it was a record for the sport. Craig isn't going to lure Piutau away on pure financial terms, and Lansdown is unlikely to do the same (with a similar marquee player)( when matched up against one of the other filthy rich even if he's worth a huge amount more. That's just not how these guys operate.

Mind you, I'm not sure Craig thinks big wages and expensive marquee players are a good idea any more - he's made some dumbshit signings in the past and it's blown up in his face.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:09 am 

Do we really need marquee players?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:17 am 

It depends on whether the French are still interested in throwing money at our players and whether it's possible to compete with them for foreign players, I guess.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:51 am 

I just think we’d be better keeping our game solvent and do without the megastars? The money just isn’t in the game.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:57 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Do we really need marquee players?

No.

More involved answer - no, unless the salary cap is reduced significantly in which case I would mind less.

Some years ago we had a speaker at a company event who did a lot of sports performance work in a number of sports, including Premier League football. His view was that in several sports most players were overpaid but the very best were underpaid relative to their contribution to winning.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 am 

sockwithaticket wrote:
SaintK wrote:

Quote:

This is also incredibly telling and makes you wonder how much amazing talent is being missed:
Quote:
After being involved in the game at all levels as a player, coach, parent and agent, Sigley has a keen nose for such injustice. In particular, he tells of an assistant academy manager at a Premiership club who, at a trial, ignored all the smaller, skilful players and instead picked the biggest lads for the next stage of the developing player programme.

The explanation given – “I can make big lads into rugby players, but I can’t make good players bigger” – infuriates Sigley even now. “For me he is the antichrist of rugby and everything that is wrong. It’s a good job Damian McKenzie didn’t grow up where I live.”

Of course you can't make someone get bigger, but they might get there all by themselves if you wait 'til 18 -20 rather than trying to sign them at 14/15.

A mate of mine’s son is in the Wasps programme - when he first went along, all they were interested in was how big his dad and older brothers are.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:29 am 

Punter15 wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
SaintK wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

A mate of mine’s son is in the Wasps programme - when he first went along, all they were interested in was how big his dad and older brothers are.

Yep, scouts always seek out parents.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:33 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Punter15 wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
SaintK wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep, scouts always seek out parents.

It makes a lot of sense. No point in pushing the gangly 14 year old into being a lock, if it turns out his family just get most their growing done until 14, then stop, and he's actually going to be better suited elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:34 am 

It’s not with noble intentions.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:07 pm 

The marquee player/s seems to be an easy win to reduce costs to the clubs. I'm not sure but did they not come about when English success in Europe started to dry up and lots of clubs were moaning about competing with French clubs and centrally contracted Irish players?

I like the concept of having the one marquee player if it helps with team/player development and increases crowds. So I'd keep one but also add a caveat saying not more than 3 marquee players in any position across the league.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2162, 2163, 2164, 2165, 2166  Next