Anonymous 1

Re: **OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

Post by Anonymous 1 »

ovalball wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:03 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:56 pm
ovalball wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:32 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:44 pm
ovalball wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:02 pm

The Bristol game is the only one with anything riding on it. I can't see Sarries or Exeter fielding strong sides after their tough games in the Champions Cup.

I would think that Exeter will be managing their resources very carefully over the last two (regular season) games - they'll almost certainly have 3 weekends of intense fixtures coming up after that.
Exeter B team tonight. Then firsts against Wasps and B team in premiership semi final and first team against Racing
I can't see them sending out a B team in the semi. I think we'll see a mixed team v Wasps, a much stronger mix for the Semi, the full monty for Racing.
Compromising a European final for a premiership final where they will be emotionally and physically drained. Maybe
It's a tricky one for them - but the Wasps game has nothing riding on it for them - and they'll be back to one game per week thereafter. Hard to know how they'll play it - they could give up on the Premiership play offs (with a B team in the semi) and then still lose the Champions Cup - so I think they'll want to field a strong side in the semi.
I get you but I think having played a B team tonight they won't want their first team to have to long a rest before they play on the 17th. So they play against Wasps and sub the forwards early. Then a week off b team in semi
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:39 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:44 pm

Exeter B team tonight. Then firsts against Wasps and B team in premiership semi final and first team against Racing
I can't see them sending out a B team in the semi. I think we'll see a mixed team v Wasps, a much stronger mix for the Semi, the full monty for Racing.
Compromising a European final for a premiership final where they will be emotionally and physically drained. Maybe
It's a tricky one for them - but the Wasps game has nothing riding on it for them - and they'll be back to one game per week thereafter. Hard to know how they'll play it - they could give up on the Premiership play offs (with a B team in the semi) and then still lose the Champions Cup - so I think they'll want to field a strong side in the semi.
I get you but I think having played a B team tonight they won't want their first team to have to long a rest before they play on the 17th. So they play against Wasps and sub the forwards early. Then a week off b team in semi
I see your logic - I just can't see them risking a B team in the semi final.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

DragsterDriver wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:56 pm
inactionman wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:39 pm Will Witty. That's outstanding.

Is Devoto now permanently a dirt-tracker? He looks very, very good at Bath, but sadly Ford spent the kitty on Kyle Eastmond.
He’s looked really good when he’s played.

I’ve opted for Briz v Tigers this evening.
Crap game, Tigers beyond crap. Bristol bang in 40pts without breaking a sweat.
Punter15

Post by Punter15 »

ovalball wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:06 pm

They can’t be caught so hopefully will write of the Wasps game while Sarries go full tonto at home against Bath
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

DragsterDriver wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:25 pm

Is Devoto now permanently a dirt-tracker? He looks very, very good at Bath, but sadly Ford spent the kitty on Kyle Eastmond.

Yep, dire in parts
Lost count of the number of dropped balls. Hughes alone dropped four in a 10 minute spell in the second half
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Lawes is out for 3 months so misses the autumn games, probably a good thing as it gives Eddie the chance to bring in Willis.

Wonder who will get the 4th lock spot, assume Hill must be favourite as I can’t remember Moon doing anything recently.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Hells Bells wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:18 am Lawes is out for 3 months so misses the autumn games, probably a good thing as it gives Eddie the chance to bring in Willis.

Wonder who will get the 4th lock spot, assume Hill must be favourite as I can’t remember Moon doing anything recently.
Why would he bring in Willis for Lawes
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Lawes was the starting blindside the whole of the 6 nations so Willis would be replacing him as a flanker.
Joost

Post by Joost »

I like the optimism, but I wouldn’t bet against Eddie picking a certain different Wasps back rower who he’s bunged in the second row previously...
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Joost wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:11 am I like the optimism, but I wouldn’t bet against Eddie picking a certain different Wasps back rower who he’s bunged in the second row previously...
I think Eddie has gone off that idea.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Sadly Manu proves Tigers correct in not offering up the big bucks, and proves Dimes wrong.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

SaintK wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:35 am
DragsterDriver wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:25 pm

Yep, dire in parts
Lost count of the number of dropped balls. Hughes alone dropped four in a 10 minute spell in the second half
The last one Hughes knocked on three times trying to pickup one ball.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

DragsterDriver wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:14 pm Sadly Manu proves Tigers correct in not offering up the big bucks, and proves Dimes wrong.
He was on big bucks and everyone got asked to take a pay cut. He refused and left. Not quite how you put it.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:52 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:14 pm Sadly Manu proves Tigers correct in not offering up the big bucks, and proves Dimes wrong.
He was on big bucks and everyone got asked to take a pay cut. He refused and left. Not quite how you put it.
Have you been taking 'splitting hairs' lessons from the Bimbot :P
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

ovalball wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:29 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:52 pm
Have you been taking 'splitting hairs' lessons from the Bimbot :P
Oh come on that is not splitting hairs. It's not like He was after va new contract and Tigers took the view he wasn't worth it for whatever reason. They had across-the-board paycuts and he refused.

Imagine the squad unrest if Tigers had relented and not cut his money..

Bimbot :x
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

ovalball wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:06 pm

Definitely not Exeter's 1st team. No Jack Willis for Wasps, which is a bit of a blow, but pretty much full strength other than that. Wasps in with a good shout I'd think.

Wasps: Minozzi; Kibirige, Fekitoa, Gopperth, Josh Bassett; Umaga, Robson (capt); McIntyre, Taylor, Brookes, Rowlands, Gaskell, Shields, Young, Willis

Replacements: Oghr , West, Toomaga-Allen, Cardall, Barbeary, Vellacott, Le Bourgeois, Miller

Exeter: Dollman; Wyatt, Baldwin, Hendrickson, Cuthbert; Skinner, Maunder; Kenny, Innard, Street, Witty, Dennis, Capstick, Armand (capt), Wright

Replacements: Taione, Southworth, Petch, Price, Pearson, Townsend, Walsh, Short
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Looks like Sarries intend to bow out with a win - full strength team to take on Bath. Should be a good game with Bath also naming a very strong side.

Saracens: Daly; Lewington, Morris, Socino, Maitland; Manu Vuipola, Wigglesworth; Barrington, George (capt), Kock, Itoje, Swinson, Hunter-Hill, Wray, Billy Vunipola.

Replacements: Woolstencroft, Crean, Clarey, Kpokut, Venter, Davies, Sloan, Segun.

Bath: Watson; Rokoduguni, Joseph, Matavesi, McConnochie; Priestland, Spencer; Obano, Dunn, Stuart, McNally, Ewels (capt), Williams, Underhill, Faletau.
Punter15

Post by Punter15 »

Utter horseshit that Sale get to see exactly what they need to do.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Billy playing like a donkey again
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Good luck to Exeter but I don't believe they have the squad to do well in three huge games in three weeks
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Punter15 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:43 pm Utter horseshit that Sale get to see exactly what they need to do.
Utter horseshit that LI, Sarries and Exeter get to play their C teams. Sale wanted to play today - it was Wuss that didn't.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Youngs, Heinz, Francis...

Nice to see Kerrod in there, he's played well. Obviously he's no chance of making the proper squad but good experience.

Not sure what Earle is doing there.

Probably going to look at Marchant on the wing :(
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

RodneyRegis wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:18 am Image

Nice to see Kerrod in there, he's played well. Obviously he's no chance of making the proper squad but good experience.

Earle has come back from another injury hasn't he. He is big strong, fast and makes his tackles. Good to remind him he is on the radar
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:41 am

Earle has come back from another injury hasn't he. He is big strong, fast and makes his tackles. Good to remind him he is on the radar
He has, but he's been genuinely gash. Not the time to pick him.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

RodneyRegis wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:59 am

This is just a training squad with the players from the top 5 clubs missing. It's not the England squad.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Thanks captain obvious.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

message #2527204 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:40 pm
Punter15 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:43 pm Utter horseshit that Sale get to see exactly what they need to do.
Utter horseshit that LI, Sarries and Exeter get to play their C teams. Sale wanted to play today - it was Wuss that didn't.
Hardly f ucking surprising when your opponents have 19 players and staff test positive 4 days before the match
It was PRL that pulled the match
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

RodneyRegis wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:22 am Thanks captain obvious.
I had to state the obvious because you were saying current form should dictate who they select on a training squad clearly based on the long term.i had to assume you'd missed the obvious.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:04 am

This is just a training squad with the players from the top 5 clubs missing. It's not the England squad.
Ludlam has slipped way down the backrow rankings then?
Has Wilson played any rugby since the restart?
Who the hell is Jack Clement?
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

SaintK wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:36 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:04 am

If you are going to play for England this year and your team is not in the playoffs you will be in this squad.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Ludlam is self isolating after playing Sale so wasn’t considered and Wilson’s last game was March 7th against Wales in the 6N.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

SaintK wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:30 am
Hardly f ucking surprising when your opponents have 19 players and staff test positive 4 days before the match
It was PRL that pulled the match
Perfectly valid reasoning. But Sale were ready to play the game yesterday, so it isnt their fault they get to see the results.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Hells Bells wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:02 pm
Ludlam is self isolating after playing Sale so wasn’t considered and Wilson’s last game was March 7th against Wales in the 6N.
Thanks, didn't know that about Ludlam
So Wilson hasn't played for Sale for the past 7 months and is in the training squad but Ted Hill isn't :roll:
Joost

Post by Joost »

SaintK wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:38 pm
So Wilson hasn't played for Sale for the past 7 months and is in the training squad but Ted Hill isn't :roll:
Ted Hill is likely to be playing for Wuss on Weds, so isn’t available
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Joost wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:10 pm
Ah yes, thanks!
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

They must be looking at Wilson to see where he is at with the possibility of him playing for England this year. What's wrong with that.
Joost

Post by Joost »

SaintK wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:26 pm
Joost wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:10 pm
Ah yes, thanks!
Tbf I just had it pointed out to me on the other bored :lol:
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:40 pm
They must be looking at Wilson to see where he is at with the possibility of him playing for England this year. What's wrong with that.
Nothing at all. I've rated Wilson when he's played for England. Just thought he was still broken.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

Interesting piece on Joe Marler's depression in the grauniad:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... ng-with-me

Dreadful illness, frankly, so glad he's got some good help and a supportive family.