**OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Short Man Syndrome

Re: **OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Bit annoying that I can only find French streams for the Quins vs Chiefs match. Good tussle so far, though.

Update: Sam Simmonds just cut a beautiful line up through the centre to rip Quins open and gallop home from near halfway. Gorgeous running!

Quins 3 - 7 Chiefs

The Quins prop had them football boots with short stuuuuuds...
They weren’t that great at gripping in the muuuuud....
They hit the flo’
Next thing you kno’
Ref penalised Louw, Louw, Louw, Louw, Louw, Louw, etc.
Last edited by Short Man Syndrome on Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

message #2527204 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:53 pm The Sale game on extra.

Sale have been cleared of any wrongdoing at the end of the season re: covid although the new covid rules that have been added are interesting.
Could be a bumming for saints here.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Nathan Earle has f**king lost it.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Exeter actually looking to play some rugby. Might be more to do with the quality of the opposition.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

Got to be a place for Sam Simmonds in the England squad, if only at 12.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

ChipSpike wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:38 pm Got to be a place for Sam Simmonds in the England squad, if only at 12.
Meh. Him, or anyone but Farrell. None are as good as Ford though.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

ChipSpike wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:38 pm Got to be a place for Sam Simmonds in the England squad, if only at 12.
At 12? :?

Why not select an actual back at 12?
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

RodneyRegis wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:10 pm
Meh. Him, or anyone but Farrell. None are as good as Ford though.
If Eddie Jones has his way those who perform better than Ford in the premiership will not get the chance to prove you right/wrong at international level.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:09 am
At 12? :?

Why not select an actual back at 12?
I was watching Sam Simmonds (the no8) score from 50 meters out last night, any 12 would be chuffed with that. He offers a running threat which Billy V hasn't really shown for a while. But Simmonds is 3.5 stone lighter so there you go.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

A win's a win, I suppose, but you wouldn't want to watch us if you were a neutral. Doubling down on the tactics that saw us have no answer to a more physical team in the World Cup final.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Meh. Decent win, good in patches. The opposition clearly wasn't good enough to get us out of second gear.

Wish we'd be a bit more positive but I think that'll happen once Farrell moves to 12.

Ireland are painfully limited currently. Another defensive hit out next week against Wales but it will be a win most likely.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Dobbin wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:52 pm A win's a win, I suppose, but you wouldn't want to watch us if you were a neutral. Doubling down on the tactics that saw us have no answer to a more physical team in the World Cup final.
You're spot on. We have same problem. We can wear down sides like Wales, Scotland or even Australia but fail against sides like England, France , NZ and South Africa.

Look great against teams we dominate physically but inept against more physical sides.

Think England need Tuilagi back to return to the 15 man game
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Dobbin wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:52 pm A win's a win, I suppose, but you wouldn't want to watch us if you were a neutral. Doubling down on the tactics that saw us have no answer to a more physical team in the World Cup final.

yeah, we've got a superb back 5 and they dominated. Apart from May our backs were dogshit again. Selection/tactics/bit of both. Enough against struggling Ireland, but no chance against a decent team.
Petros

Post by Petros »

The trouble with England's back 5 is that they barely saw the ball through the obsession with kicking it away. Thank god for May's inspiration

Farrell showed little aside from brainless penalties
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

The context is the final we had just played against NZ and emptied the tanks.

Ugly game today, never needed to play any rugby at all. Nothing through the centres, no patterns just pure defence. We certainly look a mile better with Ford at 10 and faz at 12.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

DragsterDriver wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:31 pm

Ugly game today, never needed to play any rugby at all. Nothing through the centres, no patterns just pure defence. We certainly look a mile better with Ford at 10 and faz at 12.
I don't really buy the "we were knackered after beating the ABs" excuse - we've got no change out of the Saffers several times trying to arm wrestle them. Tiredness might have exacerbated the extent of our impotence, I guess.

We need to develop something more than box kicking and chasing - and if you're not going to try and do it in a tournament like this, when are you?

Credit to the defensive effort though, it was mightily effective, albeit that Ireland were fairly predictable.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

How many shots at goal did Ireland turn down?
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Dobbin wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:37 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:31 pm

I don't really buy the "we were knackered after beating the ABs" excuse - we've got no change out of the Saffers several times trying to arm wrestle them. Tiredness might have exacerbated the extent of our impotence, I guess.

We need to develop something more than box kicking and chasing - and if you're not going to try and do it in a tournament like this, when are you?

Credit to the defensive effort though, it was mightily effective, albeit that Ireland were fairly predictable.
Bit of bad selection against the saffas not respecting their scrum- that swung it more than anything but we looked knackered.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

From the Irish rugby thread

Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:09 pm
Flametop wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:03 pm Have to say that even England’s smaller players smashed our bigger ones.

Limited team but terrific defence both individually and as a unit.
Yeah I do also firmly believe they are juiced to their eyeballs
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:43 am 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Flametop wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:03 pm Have to say that even England’s smaller players smashed our bigger ones.

Awesome work Anon. :lol:
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I didn’t think we could say that stuff? But if we could I’d assert that most pros who aren’t outside backs have or are taking ongoing special supplements. Certainly at the start of their career to get the initial size needed. Been a great year to jab some test anyway with no testing due to covid. “Sorry I’m isolating”
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

DragsterDriver wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:33 am

I didn’t think we could say that stuff? But if we could I’d assert that most pros who aren’t outside backs have or are taking ongoing special supplements. Certainly at the start of their career to get the initial size needed. Been a great year to jab some test anyway with no testing due to covid. “Sorry I’m isolating”
Only the Irish are allowed to make such accusations.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Do Mako and Billy really need the juice? Does anyone believe Ford is roided up? Have they seen Ben Youngs? :lol: Ironically certain kiwis keep pointing out how Itoje is smaller and less dominate than Retallic.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

eldanielfire wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:12 pm

Do Mako and Billy really need the juice? Does anyone believe Ford is roided up? Have they seen Ben Youngs? :lol: Ironically certain kiwis keep pointing out how Itoje is smaller and less dominate than Retallic.
It's just Trump like denial and excuses from Mullet - not worthy of serious discussion.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Falcons look really solid.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

ovalball wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:47 pm

It's just Trump like denial and excuses from Mullet - not worthy of serious discussion.
Recently I was talking to a former International rugby player and he steadfastly refused to believe that any professional athlete wasn't doping. Read in to that what you will :lol:
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

dinsdale wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:47 pm

Recently I was talking to a former International rugby player and he steadfastly refused to believe that any professional athlete wasn't doping. Read in to that what you will :lol:
Easy to believe. I’m sure I’ve said before I was at one time riding a reasonably famous athletes sister and witnessed plenty of peds involving people who’ve been on question of sport etc. I also know first hand the advice, how, and who academy players who’ve bulked up. I don’t mind people turning a blind eye but you’d be bonkers to think you can get that physique eating tuna wraps and lifting for two years.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

DragsterDriver wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:29 pm Falcons look really solid.
Smash n grab!
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

DragsterDriver wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:09 pm

Easy to believe. I’m sure I’ve said before I was at one time riding a reasonably famous athletes sister and witnessed plenty of peds involving people who’ve been on question of sport etc. I also know first hand the advice, how, and who academy players who’ve bulked up. I don’t mind people turning a blind eye but you’d be bonkers to think you can get that physique eating tuna wraps and lifting for two years.
I got accused by so many know it alls of being juiced up. I wasn't even taking supplements or eating particularly well.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Watching Glo v Wasps - My God it's really dire. Not helped by very dull commentary.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Wasps have been woeful in the 1st half - 2nd best all over the park - really seem to be missing Jack Willis - Glo good value for their 13/5 lead.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Get Ford off.
Petros

Post by Petros »

ovalball wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:19 pm Watching Glo v Wasps - My God it's really dire. Not helped by very dull commentary.
Not to mention an inept ref
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Wales' best game of the season and that was a stroll, we still didn't play too well either and at least Eddie seemed to acknowledge that in the post match interview.

Weird game though, pretty unwatchable to a neutral.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

ovalball wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:19 pm Watching Glo v Wasps - My God it's really dire. Not helped by very dull commentary.
I couldn't believe the goal kicking and missed touch finders. I gave up after 30 minutes.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

Rugby is a tough watch sometimes. Newcastle v Sale last night and now Wales v England.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Willis had a good impact off the bench. Fronted up physically, 2 good turnovers, 1 a penalty and that talking in the scrum... "On we go, On we go" leading to the penalty was very Itoje like.

I get the feeling Eddie seems to like players to talk through the game and manage it themselves. Willis showing good signs tbh.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

I thought Ford was utterly useless today. Poor kicking, tactically off the pace... We need to move on.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:59 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:09 pm

I got accused by so many know it alls of being juiced up. I wasn't even taking supplements or eating particularly well.
Were they doing it based on your physique or your huge f**king gob, you mouthy slag?
Raison D'etre

Post by Raison D'etre »

He (Ford) had a mediocre game or a bit worse but how much rugby has he played lately? Could be a bit harsh calling for him to be dropped when he just needs more game time.