**OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
openclashXX

Re: **OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

Post by openclashXX »

RodneyRegis wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:21 am Ashton's gone. Care is good for 50 mins, depends if he's happy to become a Wigglesworth style sub. Brown is totally over the hill, might be moving on. Apart from that the squad is pretty young.
who are the most expensive non-EQPs in that squad - Baldwin (32 y/o), Tapuai (32 y/o), Landajo (32 y/o)...
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

Fruit and Nutt wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:35 am
DragsterDriver wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:11 pm Gusatard is a no2 (literally). I’m guessing back to Saracens rather than Tigers with borthwick. Was never going to work out at quins with his Wolfpack nonsense.

That nonsense won 5x Premiership titles and 3x European cups and supplied half the England team and a third of the Lions.

As for Gustard going back to Saracens. No chance.
I think the judiciary ruled there were a few other, erm, 'factors' involved.

I'm being facetious, the mentality of the Sarries squad was outstanding, but it takes more than one person to drive that.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

openclashXX wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:55 am
RodneyRegis wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:21 am Ashton's gone. Care is good for 50 mins, depends if he's happy to become a Wigglesworth style sub. Brown is totally over the hill, might be moving on. Apart from that the squad is pretty young.
who are the most expensive non-EQPs in that squad - Baldwin (32 y/o), Tapuai (32 y/o), Landajo (32 y/o)...
I got the feeling quins couldn’t attract decent players and had to sign what they could?
Fruit and Nutt

Post by Fruit and Nutt »

inactionman wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:00 pm
Fruit and Nutt wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:35 am
DragsterDriver wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:11 pm Gusatard is a no2 (literally). I’m guessing back to Saracens rather than Tigers with borthwick. Was never going to work out at quins with his Wolfpack nonsense.

That nonsense won 5x Premiership titles and 3x European cups and supplied half the England team and a third of the Lions.

As for Gustard going back to Saracens. No chance.
I think the judiciary ruled there were a few other, erm, 'factors' involved.

I'm being facetious, the mentality of the Sarries squad was outstanding, but it takes more than one person to drive that.

True, but it always starts with a catalyst. Brendan Venter was that catalyst at Saracens.

London Irish didn't know what they had.
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

DragsterDriver wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:38 pm
I got the feeling quins couldn’t attract decent players and had to sign what they could?
of the non-EQP players with test caps for Tier 1 sides, it's mostly players that are past-their-prime or were not exactly world-beaters in the first place...

Baldwin (Wales) - 32 y/o
Louw (SA) - 27 y/o
Lewies (SA) - 27 y/o
Landajo (Arg) - 32 y/o
Steele (Sco) - 27 y/o
Lang (Sco) - 25 y/o
Campagnaro (Ita) - 27 y/o
Esterhuizen (SA) - 26 y/o
Tapuai (Aus) - 32 y/o

Baldwin, Landajo and Tapuai were genuinely good test players 5+ years ago, the three South Africans were all bench players at best, the two Scots have a combined 6 caps between them, and Campagnaro couldn't make the starting team at Exeter

then of the EQPs the only one consistently selected for England is Marler, they lost Sinckler, and the rest of the capped players are mostly the wrong side of 30
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

Apparently the positive covid tests which resulted in Bath having to close Farleigh house and some of the squad self-isolate were actually clerical errors by the testing company. Now stated as false positives..

Marvellous.

Can't be too careful, but you can be too careful.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

openclashXX wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:43 pm
of the non-EQP players with test caps for Tier 1 sides, it's mostly players that are past-their-prime or were not exactly world-beaters in the first place...

Baldwin (Wales) - 32 y/o
Louw (SA) - 27 y/o
Lewies (SA) - 27 y/o
Landajo (Arg) - 32 y/o
Steele (Sco) - 27 y/o
Lang (Sco) - 25 y/o
Tapuai (Aus) - 32 y/o

Baldwin, Landajo and Tapuai were genuinely good test players 5+ years ago, the three South Africans were all bench players at best, the two Scots have a combined 6 caps between them, and Campagnaro couldn't make the starting team at Exeter

then of the EQPs the only one consistently selected for England is Marler, they lost Sinckler, and the rest of the capped players are mostly the wrong side of 30
Quins announce Cares contract extension...
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

inactionman wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:51 pm Apparently the positive covid tests which resulted in Bath having to close Farleigh house and some of the squad self-isolate were actually clerical errors by the testing company. Now stated as false positives..

Marvellous.

Can't be too careful, but you can be too careful.
Massive cock up.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

2 of the 3 will move on this season. Baldwin is doing fine now after a dreadful start - he's a hooker, 32 is fine. We also have Joe Gray who is also old and fluctuates from excellent to shit on a weekly basis, and Elia who is the same but younger and probably better suited to the back row. This illustrates well that it's the makeup of the squad, not the age which is an issue. We haven't had enough stocks at lock since 2012, and even then we were lucky that Kohn and Robson stayed fit for the final.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

In fairness to Taps he started very well but then got injured for ages. Now he's getting on and carrying knocks. He'll be off.

Landajo was a classic Quins signing, great CV but utterly shit. See Roberts, Ashton etc. Having been an international at some point seems to be enough, nobody seems to notice that they are not internationals any more and htere's usually a good reason for that, especially the Argies who seem to go to shit at about 24. Garcia Botta has 31 caps - my 5-year-old daughter would do a better job at prop.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

It’s a definite malaise at quins. Shame jm2k6? Doesn’t post any longer. He seems to have escaped the bored!

England squad I’ve just seen sinkler is out- I didn’t think he was playing well. Miniature Harry Randall in as mascot.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

openclashXX wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:43 pm

Baldwin (Wales) - 32 y/o
Louw (SA) - 27 y/o
Lewies (SA) - 27 y/o
Landajo (Arg) - 32 y/o
Steele (Sco) - 27 y/o
Lang (Sco) - 25 y/o
Tapuai (Aus) - 32 y/o

Lol. I know this might be complicated, but most teams can't afford all their players to be international starters.

I don't think that anyone would argue that recruitment since COS left has been dire, but I'm not sure the problem has anything to do with age.

At the moment our starting 15 is something like:

Marler - academy - 30 - top quality
Baldwin - Gustard signing - 32 - getting better but has mainly been a standard ex-Welsh international, phoning it in
Louw - Saffer import, gustard - 27 - shows promise, looks like a baby rhino
Lewies - saffer import, gustard, 27 - club captain, has been excellent until he got injured early this season
Matt Symons - Wasps, gustard, 31 - v good for us. Injured a lot. Replaced by Toby Young, off to Scotland.
Chisholm (25)/Dombrandt (23) - academy - both excellent
Evans - Tigers, Gustard, 23 - turnover king
Lawday - Chiefs, gustard - 27 - started well but tailed off. Probably sub at Exeter for a reason, but decent squad filler

Care/Steele - fine 1&2
Smith - kid - vital to the team
Murley - academy - kid, good prospect
Ester (27)/Lasike (30)- both quality players, age not an issue here. Both injured/banned too much.
Marchant - academy, 24 - one of the best 13s around before he went off to play easy rugby, barely played since he got back
Earle - Sarries - 26 - a bit crap for some reason, but certainly good enough on his day
Brown - over the hill, hopefully to be replaced with Lynagh during the season

Our bench is perenially shite due to injuries and deadwood in the squad. The age profile is fine. Baldwin, Symons, Marler the only starters over 30 and Marler's hardly "old".

Campagnaro has played for quins about 3 times.

Bottom line is if we could ever get a run of games with partnerships not breaking down due to injury, and didn't have a collective yellow belly, we'd be fine given a couple of decent signings. unfortunately our recent policy appears to have been quantity over quality.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

DragsterDriver wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:40 pm It’s a definite malaise at quins. Shame jm2k6? Doesn’t post any longer. He seems to have escaped the bored!

England squad I’ve just seen sinkler is out- I didn’t think he was playing well. Miniature Harry Randall in as mascot.
Quins is definitely a weird club culturally, players who move on always seem to struggle. From the 2012 team Johnson, Robson, Fa'asavalu, Gray all did nothing. Since then Sinckler has struggled, Ibitoye has moved on after a season, Treadwell may have bucked the trend but I don't follow Ulster.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Considering the location they don’t seem to get players in? Wasps get them in Coventry ffs. I just wonder what agents see when quins call?
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

RodneyRegis wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:47 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:40 pm It’s a definite malaise at quins. Shame jm2k6? Doesn’t post any longer. He seems to have escaped the bored!

Quins is definitely a weird club culturally, players who move on always seem to struggle. From the 2012 team Johnson, Robson, Fa'asavalu, Gray all did nothing. Since then Sinckler has struggled, Ibitoye has moved on after a season, Treadwell may have bucked the trend but I don't follow Ulster.
Wasn't he from the academy. Very good player and I was surprised he couldn't make wider England squads
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:05 pm
RodneyRegis wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:47 pm

Wasn't he from the academy. Very good player and I was surprised he couldn't make wider England squads
Ibitoye has an X factor in attack but is a defensive liability - and not in a Christian Wade way by not being a good tackler. Ibitoye has frequently looked like he really doesn't want to be any where near a tackle, or the opposition.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

DragsterDriver wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:56 pm Considering the location they don’t seem to get players in? Wasps get them in Coventry ffs. I just wonder what agents see when quins call?

They see relative low salaries compared to where the players would have to live etc.
Punter15

Post by Punter15 »

6N squad has been out for an hour and no one gives a shit. Well done Eddie.

Basically Willis out for Wilson, Odogwu and Randall in.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Punter15 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:31 pm 6N squad has been out for an hour and no one gives a shit. Well done Eddie.

I did mention sinkler out, and the bin juice are now called the SS :shock: The MIcks will love it.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

LTVG is BAAAAACK
Punter15

Post by Punter15 »

DragsterDriver wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:34 pm
Punter15 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:31 pm 6N squad has been out for an hour and no one gives a shit. Well done Eddie.

I did mention sinkler out, and the bin juice are now called the SS :shock: The MIcks will love it.
Is it just a rumour or is there any proof that the Simmonds brothers were caught spit roasting Eddie’s dog? Can’t think of another reason they aren’t even in the SS.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I think eddies just an awkward old fella.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

RodneyRegis wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:34 pm LTVG is BAAAAACK
Odogwu is having a breakthrough season. Plus England really are in desperate need of some dynamism in midfield.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Umagas last TV game was a genuine 2/10.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:51 pm
Odogwu is having a breakthrough season. Plus England really are in desperate need of some dynamism in midfield.
I know Healey - the Austin version - can be a bit of a motormouth but he was in danger of fellating his microphone during the Bath-Wasps game.

Any tackle that Odugwu didn't simply swerve he just powered through. The rotund little bastard.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

DragsterDriver wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:02 pm
Umagas last TV game was a genuine 2/10.
God knows how he's in the shadow squad ahead of Smith and Simmonds.

I haven't seen Lawrence do anything to warrant his place either.

Not sure what Willis has to do to get selected - but the competition is stiff - I'd still prefer him to Earl or Underhill.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Yeah, pains me to say it but Willis really has to be there. He looks born for Int'l rug.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Willis and earl are really different players, depending on what Eddie wants I guess.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Not to sound thick here but wtf is George Martin?

19/20 yr old Leicester lock, any good?

Also Charlie Atkinson, u18 Fly Half for Wasps in wider squad?
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Wendigo7 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:42 pm Not to sound thick here but wtf is George Martin?

Some very odd picks in that shadow squad.
Petros

Post by Petros »

Wendigo7 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:42 pm Not to sound thick here but wtf is George Martin?

Atkinson looks very confident in his starts this seasons, especially considering he was at school for much of last season and then nearly decapitated by Fazlet
Petros

Post by Petros »

What has Wilson done in the past year?
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Petros wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:45 pm

Atkinson looks very confident in his starts this seasons, especially considering he was at school for much of last season and then nearly decapitated by Fazlet
Excellent prospect - but him and Umaga ahead of Simmonds and Smith :?
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Simmonds is a great swap for Ford, but Smith really looks special.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Jones has been going to at least one game every day there is a game. I know he was at Wasps LTVG so what are you complaining about ?
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Ford is still there :((
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

terryfinch wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:54 pm Ford is still there :((
Erm, yeah?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

DragsterDriver wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:46 pm I think eddies just an awkward old fella.
Though his phone's ringtone is quite a surprise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgC_R0m5utU (4:25 onwards)
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

RodneyRegis wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:58 pm
terryfinch wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:54 pm Ford is still there :((
Erm, yeah?
I think Ford at least still performs well for Eddie and is still essential to his style of play. Eddie's tried to drop him but it hasn't worked, partly because it's for Faz.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Ford makes england tick even without a 12- what puzzles me is that Smith looks all the world like his stunt double.