**OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
eldanielfire

Re: **OFFICIAL** English Rugby Thread

Post by eldanielfire »

DragsterDriver wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:56 am Ford makes england tick even without a 12- what puzzles me is that Smith looks all the world like his stunt double.
As always, Eddie Jones is an incredible coach, but has always made some inexplicable selection decisions. Remember last cycle, he waxed on for years about increasing depth but did little to nothing to do it at tighthead, scrum half and Fullback.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Launchbury out injured.

Joe Marler out- personal problems.

Ewels in, Tom West in !!!!!!!

Post by 4071 »

terryfinch wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:54 pm Ford is still there :((
Yeah.

So is Itoje

:((

And Curry

:((
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

DragsterDriver wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:44 pm Launchbury out injured.

I assume I'm not the only person not entirely sure who Tom West is - not to knock him, more to say this whole covid nonsense has left me totally out of touch with club rugby.

Having watched him a fair old bit at Bath I think there's a good player in Ewels, but not sure he's quite up there yet.
Fruit and Nutt

Post by Fruit and Nutt »

eldanielfire wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:01 am
DragsterDriver wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:56 am Ford makes england tick even without a 12- what puzzles me is that Smith looks all the world like his stunt double.
As always, Eddie Jones is an incredible coach, but has always made some inexplicable selection decisions. Remember last cycle, he waxed on for years about increasing depth but did little to nothing to do it at tighthead, scrum half and Fullback.

How can you forget Furbank's debut as a starter against France in Paris?

:uhoh:
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

inactionman wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:04 pm

I assume I'm not the only person not entirely sure who Tom West is - not to knock him, more to say this whole covid nonsense has left me totally out of touch with club rugby.

Having watched him a fair old bit at Bath I think there's a good player in Ewels, but not sure he's quite up there yet.
I think Launchbury is a big miss. For me, the best player in the side behind Itoje in the Autumn Cup thing.
Fruit and Nutt

Post by Fruit and Nutt »

8 games for Wasps this season. 4 as first choice.

Eddie is smarter than everyone else, and he'll tell you that himself if you ask him.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Ashton to wuss!
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

DragsterDriver wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:34 pm Ashton to wuss!
Lots of talk of the Quins environment on this thread - assume Ashton was a Gustard man then?
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

inactionman wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:10 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:34 pm Ashton to wuss!
Lots of talk of the Quins environment on this thread - assume Ashton was a Gustard man then?
Sarries link?
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Might be that, but then Ashton's a bit of a club hopper at the best of times.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Ashton was rumoured to be fed up under gustard, and long before gustard left. The the chronology it seems unlikely that Ashton made his decision after he found out gustard was off.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Underhill withdrawn from 6N squad with a hip problem
Willis in.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

SaintK wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:39 pm Underhill withdrawn from 6N squad with a hip problem
Willis in.
Christ - they're falling like flies, even though no one has played recently.

Bloody good replacement though - could even strengthen the squad.
Last edited by ovalball on Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

ovalball wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:45 pm
SaintK wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:39 pm Underhill withdrawn from 6N squad with a hip problem
Willis in.

Bloody good replacement though - could even strangthen the squad.
Think not having Underhill will be a net loss, but excellent to be able to give a standout alternative a go. It's certainly not a weak spot, in any case.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

inactionman wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:52 pm
ovalball wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:45 pm
Willis in.

Bloody good replacement though - could even strangthen the squad.
Think not having Underhill will be a net loss, but excellent to be able to give a standout alternative a go. It's certainly not a weak spot, in any case.
Be interesting to see how it pans out. Willis does seem to find the try line far more often than Underhill. Based on the original squad, I'd expect Earl to start v the Scotch with Wilson on the bench. Willis might not even make the bench.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

I wish Rapva Ruskin had been called up.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Why so many withdrawals? Something 'wrong' in the squad?
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

terryfinch wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:11 pm Why so many withdrawals? Something 'wrong' in the squad?
Have you seen what they get paid? They’d turn up if Hitler himself was head coach with Peter Suttcliffe running the defence.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Gustard dominating the news.

His LinkedIn:
https://twitter.com/martinxrugby/status ... 09920?s=21
"I wanted to join a group where there was a clear vision, deep level of trust and a dynamic environment which was driven towards high performance."
Care:
“It is a completely different job to just being a defence coach...I think experience is key on the next appointment, because from what I have seen I think you need someone that has been there and done it.”Danny Care on Paul Gustard
Rugby pass:
However, in contrast to the headlines which last week suggested Gustard had been sacked, it has now emerged that he had been offered a contract extension and negotiations apparently soured after senior players allegedly held secret meetings with club CEO Laurie Dalrymple
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

DragsterDriver wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:27 pm Gustard dominating the news.

His LinkedIn:
"I wanted to join a group where there was a clear vision, deep level of trust and a dynamic environment which was driven towards high performance."
Care:
“It is a completely different job to just being a defence coach...I think experience is key on the next appointment, because from what I have seen I think you need someone that has been there and done it.”Danny Care on Paul Gustard
Rugby pass:
However, in contrast to the headlines which last week suggested Gustard had been sacked, it has now emerged that he had been offered a contract extension and negotiations apparently soured after senior players allegedly held secret meetings with club CEO Laurie Dalrymple
Not sure I ever completely agree with the 'been there, done it' line of reasoning as, by that definition, no-one would ever do anything beyond their first job. It's probably more a case of thinking what qualities a head coach should have and selecting a head coach on that basis, and it appears that whatever qualities Gustard has it's not what the players thought were needed.

It seems that more demanding coaches/managers either bend the players to their will - Jones, Slur Alex etc - or they're shown the door.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Your man at wasps is going gang busters- learnt his trade in the championship :)
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

openclashXX wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:07 am Gustard will probably end up doing the now well-trodden path of English coaches doing a reputation-rebuilding coaching gig at some Pro12 outfit like Glasgow or Ospreys whenever the next round of firings happen
as predicted:
Paul Gustard has secured himself a new job in Italy just six days after he left his director of rugby post at Harlequins with immediate effect. Benetton, the struggling Guinness PRO14 franchise, have revealed they have signed the Englishman on a three-year deal from next July as assistant head coach.

The Italian club, who are set to lose head coach Kieran Crowley at the end of this season after a five-year stint, have explained Gustard will coach their defence and support Marco Bortolami on strategic decisions relating to high performance.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Back to putting the cones out.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

terryfinch wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:11 pm Why so many withdrawals? Something 'wrong' in the squad?
I dunno, but they have lost some good "finishers" who could make the difference against France & Ireland. Hopefully there won't be any more. Still, it's a chance for other players to stake a claim. Press will be salivating for a loss though.
BecomingtheMoon

Post by BecomingtheMoon »

Think England need to find another international quality lock (Jonny Hill the only possibility) before the Wales game and ditto for loosehead where Obano's the only candidate. Otherwise they're well beatable particularly without Tuilagi
Fruit and Nutt

Post by Fruit and Nutt »

I quite like the pet name a reply in that thread had for Harlequins...

Hardlywins

That's quite good.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

Fruit and Nutt wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:12 am

I quite like the pet name a reply in that thread had for Harlequins...

Hardlywins

That's quite good.
Replying just to say I don't remember posting that?

(But, yes, Hardlywins is a decent effort)
Slater582

Post by Slater582 »

He's 25 with 17 caps so if he doesn't start making an impact at Test level others will overtake him.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

Slater582 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:38 pm

He's 25 with 17 caps so if he doesn't start making an impact at Test level others will overtake him.
Who will overtake him? Not sure we've got an immediate next cab off rank. And kruis only made debut at 24 so not like he's withering on vine.

But, yes, ewels could do with a reputation-making performance
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

Buckle up, it's the Big One tonight. Or is that Bath vs Gloucester? Anyway, it's Bristol-Bath.

A good chance for Bath to see if they can lead the league in points shipped, they're only 4 away from Gloucester.

A metric not helped by shipping half a ton to Wasps, but the defence is looking like a rusty swinging sieve. I hope Piatau and Radrada ain't playing.

I'm sure non-Bath fans will enjoy the try-fest.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

inactionman wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:32 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:27 pm Gustard dominating the news.

His LinkedIn:
Care:
Rugby pass:
Not sure I ever completely agree with the 'been there, done it' line of reasoning as, by that definition, no-one would ever do anything beyond their first job. It's probably more a case of thinking what qualities a head coach should have and selecting a head coach on that basis, and it appears that whatever qualities Gustard has it's not what the players thought were needed.

It seems that more demanding coaches/managers either bend the players to their will - Jones, Slur Alex etc - or they're shown the door.
Premiership clubs are in the position where they shouldn't really be hiring a head coach who hasn't been there and done that even if it's with lower league teams. It's like when Minty retired and Quins made him defence coach. Why
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Correct Anon.

Looking forward to the rugby tonight.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

DragsterDriver wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:44 am Correct Anon.

Bath v Bears should be a good watch on BT sport tonight.

Post by 4071 »

inactionman wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:59 pm

Who will overtake him? Not sure we've got an immediate next cab off rank. And kruis only made debut at 24 so not like he's withering on vine.

Agreed - he's a good player, but without some games that separate him from the likes of Johnny Hill or Ribbans and that prove him a better long-term prospect than younger guys like Isiekwe and Kpoku then he's just part of a chasing pack rather than solidly alongside Lawes, Launch and Itoje as an obvious choice in the squad.

And after 17 caps, that's a lot of time he's had lingering around without fully establishing himself.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

4071 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:26 am
inactionman wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:59 pm

Agreed - he's a good player, but without some games that separate him from the likes of Johnny Hill or Ribbans and that prove him a better long-term prospect than younger guys like Isiekwe and Kpoku then he's just part of a chasing pack rather than solidly alongside Lawes, Launch and Itoje as an obvious choice in the squad.

And after 17 caps, that's a lot of time he's had lingering around without fully establishing himself.
Jonny Hill looks like he's earned a solid spot, but Jones seems very cool on Isiekwe - think there was a game where he perhaps went off-script (I only caught highlights and can't even remember the opponents) and got hooked and seemed to be persona non grata after that. That's probably a Jones quirk more than anything else.

Ewels is definitely in the chasing pack rather than incumbent - although worth bearing in mind the current incumbents are excellent and will take a bit of shifting (no great disgrace to not be considered ahead of Itoje, Launch and Lawes even after a few seasons in the England squad). He's highly enough regarded to be Bath captain - although that was possibly a slightly poisoned chalice for a while - so interested to see how he goes over next few years as we have to look to Launch and Lawes' replacements.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I see Tigers have given up and gone with the Sale/Scotland model of buying saffas. It’s not the worst plan tbf.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

ovalball wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:16 am
DragsterDriver wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:44 am Correct Anon.

Bath v Bears should be a good watch on BT sport tonight.
I can’t describe how much I’m looking forward to it! The missus has grabbed me a sourdough Hawaiian pizza and some Stellas :o

Genuinely feel like I need to chill and watch a game*

*Bath ship 50pts
Punter15

Post by Punter15 »

So glad it's back. Can't wait for Wasps v Hardlywins on Sunday. Shouting at the telly with a mouthful of roast spuds just isn't the same to Pitch Perfect.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

Teams -Bath:
Schoeman, Dunn, Judge, McNally, (Capt.) Stooke, Williams, Bayliss, Mercer. Spencer, Priestland. McConnochie, Schoeman, Joseph, Rokodoguni. De Glanville.
Replacements: Bhatti, Walker, Thomas, Spencer, Reid. Chudley, Matavesi, Hamer-Webb.

Bristol:
Woolmore, Byrne, Afoa, Attwood, Joyce, Luatua, D Thomas, Hughes. Uren, Lloyd. Naulago, O’Connor, Radrada, Morahan. C Piutau.

Replacements: Capon, Y Thomas, Holmes, Dun, Heenan. Kessell, Bedlow, S Piutau.

Interested to see how Schoeman (T) goes at inside centre, not seen much of him before and we've not exactly got backline going in earlier rounds.