The Wine Thread

All things Rugby
bimboman

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by bimboman »

Azlan Roar wrote:
bimboman wrote:
If you buy En primeur or store then you’re in credit. Naked wines is shaky.

I’m currently trying to claim my en primeur from Genesis wines who went under in Jan.
That's a good point and I was stoopid enough not to think of en prem and storage as credit.

My exposure on those fronts is with BBR and Lay & Wheeler, and I'd put them in that order in terms of confidence that they won't go under, but you never know.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Genesis (not heard of them) an hope you get that sorted.
Yeah you’re fine , though BBR were very naughty through the 2009 crash.

The administrator is sending mixed messages about either forwarding the delivery on or sending a cash amount in lieu (75p in the £). Rumours are though they’ve been trying to sell client wine in open market to cover their fees.

I don’t hold out much hope of much.
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

The Wine Society are shutting up shop for the time being :(

https://www.thewinesociety.com/
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Azlan Roar wrote:The Wine Society are shutting up shop for the time being :(

DHL are saying my parcel is out for delivery. Fingers crossed
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

happyhooker wrote:

Mine arrived this about an hour ago, but only one box and not the two ordered.

I've filled in the form on DHL's website to let them know, and they've emailed me a case number.

Not holding out a ton of hope for the missing box, but in the grander scheme of things, not important.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Azlan Roar wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

I've filled in the form on DHL's website to let them know, and they've emailed me a case number.

Not holding out a ton of hope for the missing box, but in the grander scheme of things, not important.
He's at stop 29. I'm stop it 136!

I'm trying not to dwell on it.
croyals

Post by croyals »

Those of you who are English wine fans - Chapel Down are still delivering (free) and have some half decent deals going.
Tony Blair's Therapist

Post by Tony Blair's Therapist »

croyals wrote:Those of you who are English wine fans - Chapel Down are still delivering (free) and have some half decent deals going.
Coincidentally, somebody I was commiserating with today about how the wine business has completely collapsed was telling me that Chapel Down have fired 75% of their team.
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

Tony Blair's Therapist wrote:
croyals wrote:Those of you who are English wine fans - Chapel Down are still delivering (free) and have some half decent deals going.
Coincidentally, somebody I was commiserating with today about how the wine business has completely collapsed was telling me that Chapel Down have fired 75% of their team.
Hi TBT, I am mindful of your post on the "How safe is your industry during this Crisis" so shoot me if I'm asking a stupid question... but why is the wine business completely collapsing when everywhere I look retailers are out of stock and demand seems to be sky high?
croyals

Post by croyals »

Blimey. I was there a month ago and it was all looking in very good shape.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

happyhooker wrote:
Azlan Roar wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Fingers crossed for you
If you asked for courier delivery and not Wine Society van you’ll probably get it.
Got a delivery today ordered 18th. It arrived at DHL hub yesterday so took a while to pick and pack at TWS
In other news, breweries still canning and shipping. Duration box arrived today, Pressure Drop Saturday and Verdant box due by Friday
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Azlan Roar wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Fingers crossed for you
If you asked for courier delivery and not Wine Society van you’ll probably get it.
Got a delivery today ordered 18th. It arrived at DHL hub yesterday so took a while to pick and pack at TWS
In other news, breweries still canning and shipping. Duration box arrived today, Pressure Drop Saturday and Verdant box due by Friday
Got it at 8pm.

Of course I was completely relaxed about it.

Wish I could bang in a pressure drop delivery, but until the chancellor tells me exactly how and when he's going to help me out, I'd better budget.
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

Just got a text to say that my missing box from the Wine Society will be delivered this morning.

Praise be to baby Bacchus!
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

happyhooker wrote:Wish I could bang in a pressure drop delivery, but until the chancellor tells me exactly how and when he's going to help me out, I'd better budget.
Yes of course. Good luck. There's a couple of virtual pints for you in the fantasy pub!
Tony Blair's Therapist

Post by Tony Blair's Therapist »

Azlan Roar wrote:
Hi TBT, I am mindful of your post on the "How safe is your industry during this Crisis" so shoot me if I'm asking a stupid question... but why is the wine business completely collapsing when everywhere I look retailers are out of stock and demand seems to be sky high?
Perhaps there's a bit of hyperbole, but not much. This article sums it up: https://markoneill.es/en/how-the-corona ... e-industry.

The English wine industry is largely dependent on the hospitality sector and cellar door sales, due to the relatively high price points. This sector has obviously been wiped out globally. And in general the panic-buyers in Sainsburys are not looking for high quality sparkling wines, but the entry level stuff. And even that is likely to be in short supply soon. I was speaking to a Chilean colleague who told me that although they are still shipping currently, all the label printers and dry goods suppliers have closed, so once the winery's supplies are depleted, no more shipments. And this obviously applies not just to Chile, but everywhere.

Sales are also down everywhere - even in China, which was almost the only international wine market still in growth, but sales there have collapsed too.
frankster

Post by frankster »

Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Fèck.
frankster

Post by frankster »

To keep your tastebuds tickled: I Muri Primitivo
frankster

Post by frankster »

Flametop wrote:Fèck.
Errr... quite!
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

frankster wrote:To keep your tastebuds tickled: I Muri Primitivo
"Good independents"? Blackrock Cellar? Hole in the Wall?
frankster

Post by frankster »

Leinsterman wrote:
I've lost track of where is open so I didn't bother requesting a list of stockists. Baggot Street Wines did have it but are closed. The Vintry in Rathgar have it per Leslie Williams so I presume they are still open in some shape or form
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Thanks, I'll stick it on my list and source it once all this ends.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Wine society are shortly to reopen, albeit with a reduced service. Whoop whoop.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

happyhooker wrote:Wine society are shortly to reopen, albeit with a reduced service. Whoop whoop.
Hopefully they’ll get enough volunteer staff who are happy with the new warehouse working practices
frankster

Post by frankster »

Leinsterman wrote:Thanks, I'll stick it on my list and source it once all this ends.
The importer's UK back office have just moved to run on skeleton staffing as well...
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

Frankster,

Do you have any tips for 2016 Barolo? I'm looking to invest in some cases for my son's 21st (2037, f**king hell), but certainly the wine soc is suggesting that they'll be passing their best by that point, so I wonder whether or not to go with what I know best (Bordeaux) or just lay down some port. The bottles won't be taken out of bond until drinking, so will be well kept. I have accounts with the Wine Society and BBR.
frankster

Post by frankster »

Brazil wrote:Frankster,

Do you have any tips for 2016 Barolo? I'm looking to invest in some cases for my son's 21st (2037, f**king hell), but certainly the wine soc is suggesting that they'll be passing their best by that point, so I wonder whether or not to go with what I know best (Bordeaux) or just lay down some port. The bottles won't be taken out of bond until drinking, so will be well kept. I have accounts with the Wine Society and BBR.
I'll have a browse and ask around. The first thing to think about is how the wines will be kept, but you've already sorted that. The second is format: wines in magnum nearly always keep longer than in 75cl bottles, so can extend drinking windows. I still have some 2010 basic Côtes du Rhône magnums which are drinking beautifully, and I'm not in a hurry to finish them.

Just looking down BBR's vintage chart then for 2016 there are plenty of decent options for reds (score is across the vintage):

- Bordeaux 10/10
- Port 9/10
- Rhône 9/10
- Spain 9/10
- Italy 8/10
- Australia 8/10
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

frankster wrote:
Brazil wrote:Frankster,

I'll have a browse and ask around. The first thing to think about is how the wines will be kept, but you've already sorted that. The second is format: wines in magnum nearly always keep longer than in 75cl bottles, so can extend drinking windows. I still have some 2010 basic Côtes du Rhône magnums which are drinking beautifully, and I'm not in a hurry to finish them.

Just looking down BBR's vintage chart then for 2016 there are plenty of decent options for reds (score is across the vintage):

- Bordeaux 10/10
- Port 9/10
- Rhône 9/10
- Spain 9/10
- Italy 8/10
- Australia 8/10
Cheers. I asked specifically about the Barolo as it's being spoken about in the same terms as the 2010 Bordeaux. And I've already got a fair bit of bordeaux laid down.
frankster

Post by frankster »

Leinsterman wrote:
I've updated the piece with the stockists now, just for you :thumbup:
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Oi, saintk. Any chance of finding out through your contacts when the wine society may reopen again?

I may, perhaps, have under ordered
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

frankster wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
I've updated the piece with the stockists now, just for you :thumbup:
This is a bloody drinkable wine; especially at prices over here in Belgium (E7.99). I found it at even better value, in from Germany at E6.99 delivered. Thanks for the tip. I think I might just spend the w/end digging for nuggets on this thread and when the pricing makes sense drawing up a bit of an old hitlist for ordering... :D
frankster

Post by frankster »

I'm not sure this will fit into the redderneck budget

Super Premium Portuguese Red
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Oh that would be utterly wasted on a Palestine like me :lol:
frankster

Post by frankster »

redderneck wrote:Oh that would be utterly wasted on a Palestine like me :lol:
If someone offered you a glass, I'm sure you wouldn't turn it down though! :lol:
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

frankster wrote:
If someone offered you a glass, I'm sure you wouldn't turn it down though! :lol:
I may have peasant tastes but nobody ever accused me of being a churlish peasant.

Seriously - thanks very much to you and others on here far more knowledgable than I, I'm enjoying broadening my tastes from the Riojas where I have lurked for decades. It's fun. :thumbup:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

redderneck wrote:
frankster wrote:
I may have peasant tastes but nobody ever accused me of being a churlish peasant.

Seriously - thanks very much to you and others on here far more knowledgable than I, I'm enjoying broadening my tastes from the Riojas where I have lurked for decades. It's fun. :thumbup:

Nought wrong with Rioja ...... best value around for me.
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

happyhooker wrote:Oi, saintk. Any chance of finding out through your contacts when the wine society may reopen again?

I have received a couple of emails from the Wine Society in the last week or so.

One was confirmation of my allocation in their 2018 Rhone En Primeur promotion, and I got everything that I requested, which is nice.

The other was to tell members that they're going to start taking orders and doing deliveries again very soon:

We are committed to open for new orders as quickly as we can. This is likely to be during the Easter weekend. This will be a reduced service: initially we will be taking orders for full unmixed cases only and offering full-case withdrawals from Members' Reserves.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Azlan Roar wrote:
happyhooker wrote:Oi, saintk. Any chance of finding out through your contacts when the wine society may reopen again?

I have received a couple of emails from the Wine Society in the last week or so.

One was confirmation of my allocation in their 2018 Rhone En Primeur promotion, and I got everything that I requested, which is nice.

The other was to tell members that they're going to start taking orders and doing deliveries again very soon:

We are committed to open for new orders as quickly as we can. This is likely to be during the Easter weekend. This will be a reduced service: initially we will be taking orders for full unmixed cases only and offering full-case withdrawals from Members' Reserves.
Sorry HH, missed your post
Yep, AR is correct. My mates daughter was put on furlough last week but is back on line from today as she supervises delivery drivers and deals with couriers.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

SaintK wrote:
Azlan Roar wrote:

Yep, AR is correct. My mates daughter was put on furlough last week but is back on line from today as she supervises delivery drivers and deals with couriers.
Cheers. Had seen the same mail.
frankster

Post by frankster »

New post just up: White Gold from Savoie
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
Azlan Roar wrote:

Cheers. Had seen the same mail.
They're open btw