Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 10:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Wine Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:08 am 

happyhooker wrote:
Oi, saintk. Any chance of finding out through your contacts when the wine society may reopen again?

I may, perhaps, have under ordered

I have received a couple of emails from the Wine Society in the last week or so.

One was confirmation of my allocation in their 2018 Rhone En Primeur promotion, and I got everything that I requested, which is nice.

The other was to tell members that they're going to start taking orders and doing deliveries again very soon:

We are committed to open for new orders as quickly as we can. This is likely to be during the Easter weekend. This will be a reduced service: initially we will be taking orders for full unmixed cases only and offering full-case withdrawals from Members' Reserves.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:13 am 

Azlan Roar wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Oi, saintk. Any chance of finding out through your contacts when the wine society may reopen again?

I have received a couple of emails from the Wine Society in the last week or so.

One was confirmation of my allocation in their 2018 Rhone En Primeur promotion, and I got everything that I requested, which is nice.

The other was to tell members that they're going to start taking orders and doing deliveries again very soon:

We are committed to open for new orders as quickly as we can. This is likely to be during the Easter weekend. This will be a reduced service: initially we will be taking orders for full unmixed cases only and offering full-case withdrawals from Members' Reserves.

Sorry HH, missed your post
Yep, AR is correct. My mates daughter was put on furlough last week but is back on line from today as she supervises delivery drivers and deals with couriers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:33 pm 

SaintK wrote:
Azlan Roar wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Yep, AR is correct. My mates daughter was put on furlough last week but is back on line from today as she supervises delivery drivers and deals with couriers.

Cheers. Had seen the same mail.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:27 pm 

New post just up: White Gold from Savoie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:51 am 

happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
Azlan Roar wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

They're open btw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:43 am 

happyhooker wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
Azlan Roar wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

They're open btw

Yep, placed order yesterday. Looks like delivery on 21st

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:45 am 

frankster wrote:

Interesting article, don't think I can ever remember trying a 100% Jacquère before. Will have to look out for Or Blanc next time I am there.
Love visiting the national parks in Savoie. :thumbup:

Interesting you say 'in fact only became a permanent part of France in 1860 when it was ceded by Italy under the Treaty of Turin', some Savoyards I have met use a different term as to how they became part of France :P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:25 pm 

Magpie26 wrote:
frankster wrote:

Interesting article, don't think I can ever remember trying a 100% Jacquère before. Will have to look out for Or Blanc next time I am there.
Love visiting the national parks in Savoie. :thumbup:

Interesting you say 'in fact only became a permanent part of France in 1860 when it was ceded by Italy under the Treaty of Turin', some Savoyards I have met use a different term as to how they became part of France :P

I had a nice Apremont Jacquère last year that I bought in a Breton supermarket - really nice for €5 !!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:37 pm 

Brazil wrote:
frankster wrote:
Brazil wrote:
Frankster,

Do you have any tips for 2016 Barolo? I'm looking to invest in some cases for my son's 21st (2037, f**king hell), but certainly the wine soc is suggesting that they'll be passing their best by that point, so I wonder whether or not to go with what I know best (Bordeaux) or just lay down some port. The bottles won't be taken out of bond until drinking, so will be well kept. I have accounts with the Wine Society and BBR.

I'll have a browse and ask around. The first thing to think about is how the wines will be kept, but you've already sorted that. The second is format: wines in magnum nearly always keep longer than in 75cl bottles, so can extend drinking windows. I still have some 2010 basic Côtes du Rhône magnums which are drinking beautifully, and I'm not in a hurry to finish them.

Just looking down BBR's vintage chart then for 2016 there are plenty of decent options for reds (score is across the vintage):

- Bordeaux 10/10
- Port 9/10
- Rhône 9/10
- Spain 9/10
- Italy 8/10
- Australia 8/10

Cheers. I asked specifically about the Barolo as it's being spoken about in the same terms as the 2010 Bordeaux. And I've already got a fair bit of bordeaux laid down.

I haven't forgotten about your question Braz. Detailed reviews aren't generally out yet AFAIK, just more general vintage assessments like this one from Kerin O'Keefe.

That said, of the Barolos I've tasted over the past decade (which is not that many) I've really enjoyed the wines of GD Vajra. I see that The Wine Society stock Luigi Baudana's Dragon Langhe Blanco (which is a TOTAL STEAL at £10.95 (BSW sell it for ~ €24)) so they might well have the GD Vajra Barolos in the future.

As it happens I'm due to be on a Zoom masterclass with Giuseppe Vaira and Franco Massolino this Friday morning:

Quote:
The session will start with Giuseppe and Franco introducing their estates and differing areas of Barolo and Serralunga d’Alba, and a look at the 2016 vintage in particular. 2016 was a remarkable vintage in Barolo, the wines are highly expressive of the vineyards characteristics and have a great potential to age and grow their character. As usual the session will be followed by a Q&A session.

If I'm able to participate I will give you an update.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:32 am 

Gewurztraminer is one of Alsace's key varieties, but they're not to everyone's taste.

Here's a cracker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:59 pm 

Irishers...

Sideways is on TG4 now (10pm)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:38 pm 

frankster wrote:
Gewurztraminer is one of Alsace's key varieties, but they're not to everyone's taste.

Here's a cracker

Might try it. I confess it’s a grape I reckon I’ve drunk only 1/2 dozen times in my life.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:35 am 

frankster wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
frankster wrote:
To keep your tastebuds tickled: I Muri Primitivo

"Good independents"? Blackrock Cellar? Hole in the Wall?

I've lost track of where is open so I didn't bother requesting a list of stockists. Baggot Street Wines did have it but are closed. The Vintry in Rathgar have it per Leslie Williams so I presume they are still open in some shape or form

I got what may have been the last bottle in Donnybrook Fair last night.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:13 pm 

johnuknow wrote:
frankster wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
frankster wrote:

I've lost track of where is open so I didn't bother requesting a list of stockists. Baggot Street Wines did have it but are closed. The Vintry in Rathgar have it per Leslie Williams so I presume they are still open in some shape or form

I should ask for commission... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:15 pm 

johnuknow wrote:
frankster wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
frankster wrote:

They've a lovely pinotage in stock at the moment. Not the usual Chocolate Block or Coffee Bean. (Which are both quite tasty.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:22 pm 

bimboman wrote:
frankster wrote:

Here's a cracker

Might try it. I confess it’s a grape I reckon I’ve drunk only 1/2 dozen times in my life.

I'd say 50% of the ones I've tried haven't been to my taste, but some have been spectacularly good!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:42 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
johnuknow wrote:
frankster wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
frankster wrote:

They've a lovely pinotage in stock at the moment. Not the usual Chocolate Block or Coffee Bean. (Which are both quite tasty.)

Is there such a thing? It is a grape I am inevitably disappointed with, regardless of the number of my Saffer mates telling me how great it is.
I guess it's just a taste that doesn't resonate for me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:44 pm 

It sometimes tastes like a novelty drink, but I don't mind it tbh.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:01 pm 

Magpie26 wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
johnuknow wrote:

Is there such a thing? It is a grape I am inevitably disappointed with, regardless of the number of my Saffer mates telling me how great it is.

I can take or leave many of them. One which has really impressed me is BLANKbottle B.O.E.T. (included in this article)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:33 pm 

Chapoutier occultum lapidem 2010

I don't really drink red any more, but it's been in the cellar (I do have a cellar) for years. There's 9 bottles of it left. Good bit will be going in a cassoulet tomorrow, which seems a shame.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:31 pm 

bobbity wrote:
Chapoutier occultum lapidem 2010

I don't really drink red any more, but it's been in the cellar (I do have a cellar) for years. There's 9 bottles of it left. Good bit will be going in a cassoulet tomorrow, which seems a shame.

Chapoutier is a cracking producer. Use port and water and keep the wine for drinking.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:22 am 

anonymous_joe wrote:
johnuknow wrote:
frankster wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
frankster wrote:

Which is called? I'm not sure I've ever had one

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:10 am 

I'm more of a beer person but after several weeks of drinking beer at home I decided tonight was a wine evening.

This sorted me out nicely while chatting with my mates online.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:30 am 

frankster wrote:
Magpie26 wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
johnuknow wrote:

I can take or leave many of them. One which has really impressed me is BLANKbottle B.O.E.T. (included in this article)

I've yet to have a bad bottle from BLANKbottle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:33 am 

johnuknow wrote:

Diemersfontein.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:04 pm 

Happy Friday all!

Here's something to freshen up your weekend: Joseph Cattin Riesling

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:07 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
johnuknow wrote:

Diemersfontein.

The original "coffee and chocolate" style Pinotage. They do a more serious one called "Carpe Diem" IIRC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:06 pm 

frankster wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
johnuknow wrote:

Diemersfontein.

The original "coffee and chocolate" style Pinotage. They do a more serious one called "Carpe Diem" IIRC

I might try one of them while I still can.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:11 pm 

For those not that taken by Pinotage, this might change your mind.

Their Cab Sauv and Paul Sauer Estate wine are excellent also.
I’d also recommend visiting the winery, they were very informative, pleasant and bit at all pushy with sales. A nice combination though I didn’t need any encouragement buying wine there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:42 pm 

frankster wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
johnuknow wrote:

Diemersfontein.

I'm a child when it comes to wine normally.

What are your views on natural wines? I quite enjoy a light, fruity red anyway, so find they're often very tasty.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:01 am 

O'Briens have a new promotion cycle underway, including rosés at buy one get one half price (i.e. 25% off for the mathematically challenged).

Their Wildflower range is also included at €13.95 --> €9.00 and 6 for €50. Also available at Spar in the UK.

Here's my review of the Pinot Grigio and Pinot Noir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:38 am 

frankster wrote:
O'Briens have a new promotion cycle underway, including rosés at buy one get one half price (i.e. 25% off for the mathematically challenged).

Their Wildflower range is also included at €13.95 --> €9.00 and 6 for €50. Also available at Spar in the UK.

I've seen the Wildflower wines a good few times and the real headturner was the price for a bottle of Pinot Noir. Must give it a go.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:06 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
frankster wrote:

I've seen the Wildflower wines a good few times and the real headturner was the price for a bottle of Pinot Noir. Must give it a go.

Don't know if you read the full article, but there's a reference to a bordie towards the end...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:17 pm 

Ha!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:27 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:28 pm 

frankster wrote:
Don't know if you read the full article, but there's a reference to a bordie towards the end...

:lol: spot on!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:54 pm 

Torres Celeste down to €15 - flame top or iarmhi was it who recommended that

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:57 pm 

We had a few nice one at the week end

Ladoix (one of my favourites) with Duck Breast

Syrah Rosé (lighter than a red but puchier than a run of the mill rosé) with a lapin sauce moutarde.

Bourgogne aligoté for your bog standard escargots :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:13 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Torres Celeste down to €15 - flame top or iarmhi was it who recommended that

Seconded/thirded, it's a great drop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:33 pm 

Picked up a bottle of Celeste the other day as a matter of fact. Very nice

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161  Next